Wine

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
pa_mcclamrock

#21 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Is there a good tutorial or step-by-step guide somewhere on how to use Wine, beginning from absolute zero knowledge about things like how to install Windows programs in a Linux filesystem (if possible) so you can then run them with Wine? If so, thanks in advance to whoever can fill me in!
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

playdayz

#22 Post by playdayz »

Hey Pa_mcclamrock, fancy meeting you here. This is the wine that will be in Quickpet 1.7 tomorrow in LP 116. green_dome did such a great job setting it up that I recommend this. Just download the installer for the windows program you want to run and click it.

Foobar2000 is a music player that I know installs well. Many others too of course. After it installs you can go ahead and run it. it will make some desktop files but I am not sure exactly where they are. I know you can find them in /root/.wine/drive_c/user/desktop (or something close to that. It might even put something in the menu or on the esktop.

vovchik

#23 Post by vovchik »

Dear green_dome,

I just noticed that Wine 1.1.44 has been released. Any chance of getting your pet?

With thanks in advance,
vovchik

MU

#24 Post by MU »

tried .43 in pupeee, works fine.
Installed MS-Office 2003, Word and Excel work. If you get an "IOPL" error then, add "gdiplus" in the libraries as "native". I must check this setup more intensively, as we think of using it in our company on notebooks.

People that work outside then get a personalized USB stick with Puppy, so they can catch their mails using Zarafa (a Linux webbased client) via openvpn, and use Word/Excel for their documents.
Using such a setup reduces the risk of briging virii to the company, saves us XP licenses, and gives us full controll over the system they use.

This is just a first idea, and I just created a prototype to present it for further decisions.

A screenshot shows the current setup :)
Mark
Attachments
fbw-client-study.jpg
(119.2 KiB) Downloaded 2065 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

ken geometrics

#25 Post by ken geometrics »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:Is there a good tutorial or step-by-step guide somewhere on how to use Wine, beginning from absolute zero knowledge about things like how to install Windows programs in a Linux filesystem (if possible) so you can then run them with Wine? If so, thanks in advance to whoever can fill me in!
You can get started with just installing the wine-#.#.#.pet that is the latest.

Once you have the wine system installed, the next step is to find the installer for the program you want. This is some windows thing that ends in exe.

Here is where it gets a little complex. For many programs all you need to do is run this installer using wine. The way I usually do it is to copy the file into the "my-applications" folder and then bring up the command prompt and type the following:

cd my-applications
wine "TheNameOfTheFile.exe"

The usual installer should run and do all the same things as it does under windows.

If the program is well written, the install should all work without trouble.

Once the install is done, you can run the program by a bunch more commands like this:

cd /root/.wine
#note the forward slashes and the dot
ls
#this should show the name like "drive_c"
cd drive_c
#now I will assume you told the installer for bogus.exe to install into
#c:\bogus
ls
#This will list the directory that bogus.exe got put into
cd bogus
wine "bogus.exe"
#.... other option ....
#If you put the program into C:\Program Files, you type
cd "Program Files"
ls
cd "bogus"
wine "bogus.exe"

this should run the program. If it doesn't work, you may see some error messages that will be helpful to figuring out why it didn't work.

The most common cause of trouble is that the program actually contains some sort of error that the maker gets away with under windows but Linux won't let slide. This is often an access to a bit of memory that the program doesn't have rights to.

I hope this will help you get started.

There will be an easier way to run it but the command line method lets you see the errors if any.

bigpup

How to use Wine

#26 Post by bigpup »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:Is there a good tutorial or step-by-step guide somewhere on how to use Wine, beginning from absolute zero knowledge about things like how to install Windows programs in a Linux filesystem (if possible) so you can then run them with Wine? If so, thanks in advance to whoever can fill me in!
Go here:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Wine

Look for how to configure wine lower on the page.
The "winecfg utility" is important to use. It allows you to setup how a program is run in wine. What version of windows to emulate for each program.

Liboicl

#27 Post by Liboicl »

green_dome wrote:'Liboicl'
The game 'FlatOut' would not run when I used your wine-1.1.43-i486.pet. It complained about a debugger. My guess is that the game does not like the configure options that you used when you compiled wine.

It is nice to see others compiling and learning.
Glad to get some feedback. As I said in that post it was my first .pet package.

EDIT: New version wine-1.1.44.pet

green_dome

Wine 1.1.44

#28 Post by green_dome »

my attempt at compiling wine 1.1.44.

wine-1.1.44-i486.pet (release 1) - mirror 1
wine_DEV-1.1.44-i486.pet (release 1) (development package) - mirror 1
wine_DOC-1.1.44-i486.pet (release 1) (documentation package) - mirror 1
wine-1.1.44-i486-sfs3.sfs (release 1) - mirror 1
wine-1.1.44-i486-sfs4.sfs (release 1) - mirror 1

I compiled using puplet: Puppies 4.31.1 by forum member 'ttuuxxx'

I specifically used the files:
puppies-431.1-main-Xserver.iso
devx_430.sfs

puppies-431.1-main-Xserver.iso - [forum post] [mirror 1] username:puppy | password:linux (you will have to type it twice) [mirror 2] [mirror 3]

devx_430.sfs - [forum post] [mirror 1] username:puppy | password:linux (you will have to type it twice) [mirror 2] [mirror 3]

I installed these packages before compiling:
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.116.1-i486.pet
jack-audio-connection-kit_DEV-0.116.1-i486.pet
openldap-2.4.13-i486.pet
openldap_DEV-2.4.13-i486.pet
xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet
xorg_xorg_full_dri_DEV-7.3.pet

When compiling, I used

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=/usr --build=i486-t2-linux-gnu --x-includes=/usr/X11R7/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R7/lib --with-x --without-hal --without-gnutls --without-capi 
Menu entries, Color Setter, and other stuff I got from the file 'winegoodies.tar.gz' provided by forum member 'technosaurus'. The only changes I made to the contents of that file were to delete the file 'Wine_regedit.desktop'. That appears to be a duplicate file. I also deleted the file 'winetricks' and replaced it with the updated one.

For help with Gecko, look here

I use the console to install packages from winetricks. For help with this I use

winetricks -h
[source]

my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8400GS, so I install the 'NVIDIA-190.42-k2.6.30.5-1.pet' from this post.

vovchik

#29 Post by vovchik »

Dear green_dome,

As usual, your version works fine for me. Thanks.

With kind regards,
vovchik

vovchik

#30 Post by vovchik »

Dear green_dome,

I just came upon this: http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.2-rc1. It looks as if 1.2 is out there, and there are many good changes - i.e. reimplementation of xlib cursors, fixes for alpha-blending in comctl32 etc., etc. Can you kindly perform your usual magic?

With thanks in advance,
vovchik

Liboicl

#31 Post by Liboicl »

vovchik

#32 Post by vovchik »

Dear Liboicl,

Thanks. I installed and saw that my nice antialiased fonts were gone, so I reverted to 1.1.44. Apparently, the handling of antialiasing has changed in Wine and you need to include fontconfig when you compile, so antialiasing can he handled by the X-server. Also, you should try stripping the binaries (executables and libs), so we can get the package size down to that of green_dome's versions (18 MB vs 50 MB).

With kind regards,
vovchik

PS. I know, this is your second compile of Wine. In my attempt (successful) of 1.1.44, I also had the huge size but fixed it by stripping.

Liboicl

#33 Post by Liboicl »

vovchik wrote:Dear Liboicl,

Thanks. I installed and saw that my nice antialiased fonts were gone, so I reverted to 1.1.44. Apparently, the handling of antialiasing has changed in Wine and you need to include fontconfig when you compile, so antialiasing can he handled by the X-server. Also, you should try stripping the binaries (executables and libs), so we can get the package size down to that of green_dome's versions (18 MB vs 50 MB).

With kind regards,
vovchik

PS. I know, this is your second compile of Wine. In my attempt (successful) of 1.1.44, I also had the huge size but fixed it by stripping.
Thanks, actually this is my third compile of Wine. I am always glad to hear feedback. I was wondering how his were so small. It makes sense now. I will look into the fonts.

green_dome

Wine 1.2-rc1

#34 Post by green_dome »

Edit (Wed.26.May.2010 | time 18.22.00) : re-uploaded the file 'wine-1.2-rc1-i486.pet'.
Edit (Fri.28.May.2010 | time 00:23:00) : added another mirror for the 5 files.

-------------------------------

my attempt at compiling wine 1.2-rc1

wine-1.2-rc1-i486.pet (release 1) - mirror 1 - mirror 2
wine_DEV-1.2-rc1-i486.pet (release 1) (development package) - mirror 1 - mirror 2
wine_DOC-1.2-rc1-i486.pet (release 1) (documentation package) - mirror 1 - mirror 2
wine-1.2-rc1-i486-sfs3.sfs (release 1) - mirror 1 - mirror 2
wine-1.2-rc1-i486-sfs4.sfs (release 1) - mirror 1 - mirror 2

I compiled using puplet: Puppies 4.31.1 by forum member 'ttuuxxx'
I specifically used the files:
puppies-431.1-main-Xserver.iso
devx_430.sfs

puppies-431.1-main-Xserver.iso - [forum post] [mirror 1] username:puppy | password:linux (you will have to type it twice) [mirror 2] [mirror 3]

devx_430.sfs - [forum post] [mirror 1] username:puppy | password:linux (you will have to type it twice) [mirror 2] [mirror 3]

I installed these packages before compiling:

esound-0.2.41-i486.pet
<http://puppylinux.asia/members/T/486_pe ... 1-i486.pet>

esound_DEV-0.2.41-i486.pet
<http://puppylinux.asia/members/T/486_pe ... 1-i486.pet>

fontconfig-2.7.1-i486-pup4.pet
<http://petstore.puppyspace.org/s4/syste ... 6-pup4.pet>

fontconfig_DEV-2.7.1-i486-pup4.pet
<http://petstore.puppyspace.org/s4/syste ... 6-pup4.pet>

gnutls+deps-2.6.6-i486.pet
<http://puppylinux.asia/members/T/444/gn ... 6-i486.pet>

gnutls+deps_DEV-2.6.6-i486.pet
<http://puppylinux.asia/members/T/444/gn ... 6-i486.pet>

jack-audio-connection-kit-0.116.1-i486.pet
<http://puppylinux.asia/members/T/444/ja ... 1-i486.pet>

jack-audio-connection-kit_DEV-0.116.1-i486.pet
<http://puppylinux.asia/members/T/444/ja ... 1-i486.pet>

openldap-2.4.13-i486.pet
<http://puppylinux.asia/members/T/444/op ... 3-i486.pet>

openldap_DEV-2.4.13-i486.pet
<http://puppylinux.asia/members/T/444/op ... 3-i486.pet>

xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet
<ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... ri-7.3.pet>

xorg_xorg_full_dri_DEV-7.3.pet
<ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... EV-7.3.pet>

When compiling, I used

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu --x-includes=/usr/X11R7/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R7/lib --with-x
Menu entries, Color Setter, and other stuff I got from the file 'winegoodies.tar.gz' provided by forum member 'technosaurus'. The only changes I made to the contents of that file were to delete the file 'Wine_regedit.desktop'. That appears to be a duplicate file. I also deleted the file 'winetricks' and replaced it with the updated one.

For help with Gecko, look here

I use the console to install packages from winetricks. For help with this I use

winetricks -h
[source]

my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8400GS, so I install the 'NVIDIA-190.42-k2.6.30.5-1.pet' from this post.
Last edited by green_dome on Fri 28 May 2010, 04:21, edited 2 times in total.

vovchik

#35 Post by vovchik »

Dear green_dome,

Thanks again. This time, unlike all the others times when I have installed your Wine, I get this:
root$ [~]-> winecfg
wine client error:0: version mismatch 401/400.
Your wine binary was not upgraded correctly,
or you have an older one somewhere in your PATH.
Or maybe the wrong wineserver is still running?
That was the response on two machines. Any clues or ideas?

With kind regards,
vovchik

OS. When I run wine from the command line, it seems normal, but programs do not run:
root$ [~]-> wine
Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...] Run the specified program
wine --help Display this help and exit
wine --version

green_dome

#36 Post by green_dome »

Do you get the same error when installing Wine 1.2-rc1 on a fresh frugal or full install of PuppyLinux that does not come with Wine built-in?

vovchik

#37 Post by vovchik »

Dear green_dome,

I did the Wine install on two machines that have full HD puppy and had previous versions of your 1.1.44. I had previously upgraded Wine numerous times on both machines (in fact, on three machines) from your pets this way and never experienced any such problem. I am at a loss as to why. I also unpacked your latest pet and did a straight copy of the /usr dir, overwriting the old wine as an experiment. I got the same result as described above. I then renamed my ~/.wine dir and did the install, thinking that my registry files had some bad info. Version 1.2 did create a new .wine dir that was largely empty except for fake device symlinks (which is normal). I am loathe to compile 1.2rc1 myself, because I do that on a netbook and it takes a VERY long time. I did that for 1.1.44 just as an experiment using your configure info (and it worked), but I by far prefer your pets.

With kind regards,
vovchik

lezzloco

wine 1.2

#38 Post by lezzloco »

I keep getting "Error, package wine-1.2rc1-i486.pet failed to install", I have re downloaded it twice and keep getting the same thing.

I am using puppy 4.3.1, fresh install frugal

Thanks for doing these .pets green_dome much appreciated

bigpup

Works for me Lucid Puppy 5.0

#39 Post by bigpup »

Just to let you know. Installed wine-1.2rc1-i486.pet in Lucid Puppy 5.0 fresh frugal install. No previous Wine install. Seems to work OK.

Thanks for keeping up with Wine.

lezzloco

wine 1.2rc1

#40 Post by lezzloco »

OK so after reading above post I re tested, this time I deleted the pup-431.sfs file saved onto my hard drive, (I didn't do that before), and everything seems OK, maybe the .sfs became upset some how.