Lighthouse Pup 5.00 G 185M

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tazoc

Lighthouse Pup 5.00 G 185M

#1 Post by tazoc »

Image Image Image Image

** Newer release thread here **

Graphics configuration for Lighthouse Pup 5.00
* When booting from a GRUB bootloader, please add xforcevesa nomodeset to the kernel line in your menu.lst.
(Booting from the CD does this by default, and using grubconfig in LHP to install GRUB also does.)

* How to configure KMS - Kernel ModeSetting. According to ICPUG, if you have Intel 855 graphics, boot with puppy i915.modeset=1 and either select the intel driver (Option 2 in xorgwizard) or auto-configure Xorg (Option 1 in xorgwizard).

2010.12.12 Lighthouse Pup 5.00 G (build 501)
A faster and leaner system than 5.00F, with a number of new features, including
* Choose your own browser
* Lighthouse Update for reliable access to many new Pets
* frugal-symlink (Move and Link Programs) maintains a smaller pupsave (on a Linux partition)
* Customized Pwidgets desktop applets in JWM, IceWM and Xfce.
* The Mariner ISO has a folder /pets for even faster access (ideal for dial-up Internet) to most of the new apps on Lighthouse Update.

Highlights and release notes are at http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm

2010.10.25 Lighthouse Update Manager PET notifies of available updates for Lighthouse Pup 5.00 F, including an update for the e-Sword installer and Adobe Flash plugin.

2010.10.07 Xfce-4.6.2a.sfs 24M Xfce 4.6.2 For Lighthouse Pup 5.00 F or later

* Proprietary display driver PET packages for Lighthouse 5.00:
ATI Catalyst 10.6 34M | NVIDIA 195 30M | NVIDIA 173 14M | NVIDIA 96 14M

2010.09.19 Lighthouse Pup 5.00 F (Build 500)
Mariner, KDE and Voyager add-ons also updated

2010.09.07 Opera-10.61-6430.sfs

2010.08.06 Lighthouse Pup 5.00 D (Build 495) Base ISO

* New for 5.00 D
  • Audacious-2.3 audio player

luvcview-0.2.6 (thanks to Michel Xhaard & Barburo) and MPlayer-TV-Webcam viewers

Intel driver PET for LHP 5.00 C (thanks to Q5sys) This driver is now included in LHP 5.00 D, with the exception of cairo-1.9.6, which was reverted to cairo-1.8.8 to fix a compiling error "libcairo.so: undefined reference".

Other updates listed in release notes
2010.08.06 Lighthouse Mariner ISO 5.00 D
* Mariner SFS updated to 5D_495
  • Firefox 3.6.8, Thunderbird-3.1.1, TrueCrypt-7.0, Xine-ui-0.99.6, Qps bugfix (process manager for Mariner)
2010.08.06 KDE 4.4.4 D SFS - minor updates to KDE and Voyager SFS

2010.08.06 Kdenlive-0.7.8c.sfs 94M (Mariner SFS & KDE SFS required) a powerful multi-track video editor

2010.07.12 Compiz-Fusion SFS: Updated to CompizFusion-0.7.9-1f. C-F eye candy and Emerald window decorator

* Abiword, Gnumeric, SeaMonkey, Flash plugin and Transmission updated
* Added hplip-3.9.12 HP Scanner Driver (thanks to Jim1911) and ttf-thai-arundina (Thai font rendering).

2010.06.29 Lighthouse Mariner ISO 5.00 C
* Base ISO plus Mariner, Xfce, OpenOffice, Opera and VirtualBox SFS add-ons.
* Mariner SFS updated to 5C_490; (others unchanged)
updated Firefox 3.6.6, JavaRE-6u20 and added wqy-zenhei free font (Asian font rendering)

2010.06.29 KDE 4.4.4 C SFS

* KDE 4.4.4 plus Amarok 2.3.1b1, K3b Disc Burning, KDE Educational Suite and more.
* Alternative Plasma Netbook interface

* Several bugfixes and updates

* New Wine e-Sword 9.6.0 Bible Study downloader and installer, based on a script by david_kt and adapted for Lighthouse.

2010.06.11 Lighthouse Mariner ISO 5.00 B - release notes

* Includes Mariner, Xfce, OpenOffice, Opera and VirtualBox SFS add-ons.

* Minor updates to Xfce 4.6.1d and Mariner 5B_485

* VirtualBox updated to 3.2.4

2010.06.11 Google-Chrome-stable_5.0 SFS - Fast browser with themes and add-ons

2010.05.25 Lighthouse Pup 5.00 A (build 480) released
* Xorg-xserver 1.7.7, kernel 2.6.33.2, IceWM 1.3.6 (thanks to Jemimah)

* Many updates and new features

2010.05.25 Mariner ISO 5.00 A released

* Includes everything in the base ISO plus these add-ons:
Mariner 5A, Xfce 4.6.1, OpenOffice 3.2, Opera 10.10 and VirtualBox 3.1.8

* Mariner has updated Firefox, Thunderbird, Java, Mesa (OpenGL drivers), Geeqie (formerly GQView), GKrellM and Vuze

* VirtualBox allows installation of multiple operating systems without rebooting.

Release notes
-TazOC
Last edited by tazoc on Mon 17 Jan 2011, 20:32, edited 26 times in total.
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Barburo

Feedback

#2 Post by Barburo »

Thanks for the new version - recognizes my wifi out of the box.
Quick heads up - I tried to SAVE the savefile a couple of times by pressing "Enter" - the panel only responded to "S". No suitable driver for my Intel graphics chip - will continue to experiment.
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

Q5sys

woot!

#3 Post by Q5sys »

Ill test it out tomorrow on my 2 intel systems.

jasmac

#4 Post by jasmac »

Hey Tazoc,

Will have a play with your new one over the next couple of days and give any feedback I find. In the meantime here is that background again, this time I even managed to spell Lighthouse correctly, hehehe.

Cheers

Jason

davec51

Intel Graphics Card -- No Xorg

#5 Post by davec51 »

I'm eager to try the new Lighthouse, but I can't configure my old Intel graphics card with Xorg. Vesa will only give me 600/400 resolution, impossible to use conveniently on my monitor. Any fix or patch?

jasmac

#6 Post by jasmac »

Heya Tazoc,
I can't seem to load the new LHP. I always end up with - Performing a 'switch_root' to the layered filesystem....Kernel Panic not syncing: Attempted to kill init

This comes up after is says loading the pup.sfs to ram, which seems to be quick. I have burnt and reburnt the iso 7 ways to Sunday and have downloaded it twice. My system is still the same a Dell D810 with 2gb ram and a ATI 128mb mobility card, which has worked without issue with all other pups. Any ideas welcome.

Cheers

Jason

Jim1911

#7 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi tazoc,

You need to disable your autodesktop setup. I've also been unable to boot, it starts initially and then goes to a black screen. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace wouldn't even work. Only out is a hard reboot.

Sorry,
Jim :(

Payoon

Live CD Crash on LHP 5.00 A

#8 Post by Payoon »

Hi Folks,
my problem is, that when booting the Live CD the last line, that I can see is "loading kernel modules". Then the screen turns black and remains that way. I have tried several times with different boot options. The md5sum of the CD is OK. Older LHP worked well.Has anybody an idea, what to do?
Thanks.
Payoon

tazoc

#9 Post by tazoc »

@Jasmac,
Try using 'puppy pfix=nocopy' at the bootmenu. That's a new boot option for LHP 5.00 only, as the copy to ram sometimes fails. I don't know why--it appeared with the latest kernel and initrd.gz from Quirky. I need to add the option to the F2 panel but not sure if there is room! I will post it on the web site if it is helpful.

@Barburo,
Thanks for the heads up, the 's' works at first shutdown when saving your session? I didn't know that!

@All,
If you get a blank screen pls post the type of display adapter you're using. Also try using 'puppy pfix=nox loglevel=7 acpi=off' to see if you get a command prompt or not. Sounds like a bug that could sink this voyage :!: but it might help if I could narrow it down to a specific hardware configuration.

@Jim, by autodesk are you referring to auto-fstab? I don't know if that would be related, and I'll look at it again. Yes I could disable by default.
Thanks,
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Q5sys

#10 Post by Q5sys »

This sounds familiar sadly. Issues with Intel video were talked about on this post in Barry's Blog.

To quote: "People just get a black screen."

When I get some time this evening i'll try working with it and compiling the new and older intel drivers and if I can manage to make something work. But if it is an issue of kernel vs puppy vs intel ... dont think we are going to have much success.
But I'll see what I can do.

Jim1911

#11 Post by Jim1911 »

tazoc wrote:@All,
If you get a blank screen pls post the type of display adapter you're using. Also try using 'puppy pfix=nox loglevel=7 acpi=off' to see if you get a command prompt or not. Sounds like a bug that could sink this voyage :!: but it might help if I could narrow it down to a specific hardware configuration.
@Jim, by autodesk are you referring to auto-fstab? I don't know if that would be related, and I'll look at it again. Yes I could disable by default.
Thanks,
TazOC
pfix=nox didn't help. What I was referring to is your autoconfiguration of the video drivers which then boots you straight to a desktop. You need to go back to a manual initial setup until the video problems are sorted out with the new kernel. Lucid had to do the same thing, however, it seemed that intel video cards are the headache there, only a few other older cards reported a problem.

System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart 5280 All-in-One

Barburo

#12 Post by Barburo »

Hi TazOC,
I have an up-and running configuration with lxde as the WM - the driver is Vesa at 1024x768 which of course makes everything look squashed on my wide-screen notebook. Other than that most of the apps I use seem to check out OK. I am posting this from 5.0a. I checked the bootkernel and /var/message logs and I see no errors - just a couple of warnings.

I tried every variation of Probe and Choose - Probe goes black screen and choosing a possible driver (Intel or i740) also goes nowhere. XORG force VESA is the only option that works because of the VESA fallback.

I have previously tried lucid puppy 5.01 which I believe uses the same Kernel (not sure about which version of xorg) and got a the correct screen resolution.
Does lucid use an i810 Intel driver?
B.

Q5sys

#13 Post by Q5sys »

After my first attempt at compiling the latest Intel Drivers and trying it out, this is what I get. Tried compiling the older ones too, same thing.
Barry had issues with Xorg 7.5 Its possible that for Intel support we need to roll back to 7.3

Code: Select all

X.Org X Server 1.7.7
Release Date: 2010-05-04
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Slackware 13.1 Slackware Linux Project
Current Operating System: Linux Mariner 2.6.33.2 #1 SMP Mon Apr 5 12:55:04 Local time zone must be set--see zic m i686
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy
Build Date: 05 May 2010  01:54:53AM

Current version of pixman: 0.17.14
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue May 25 13:17:12 2010
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) intel(0): No kernel modesetting driver detected.
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support 
	 at http://wiki.x.org
 for help. 
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

giving up.
/usr/bin/xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
/usr/bin/xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

jasmac

#14 Post by jasmac »

Hi again,

Thanks Taz, that fix it right up. Installed to flash drive with no problems, configured using the radeon driver and everything is working sweet. I will continue to test and try some other laptops I have.

Thanks

Jason

Tui

#15 Post by Tui »

Hi all followers of this new version!
Well I did my d/l of this latest - a full 664Mb, did my checksum
of d/l and compared with published.

Burned my CD-R run as pfix=ram oh! I have got
a Kernal Panic! -- I must be short of mem for this one !

I got 1.3 Gb on board up it to 2Gb, re-run still K/panic! I did
another burn, as thought I have a bad cd-r also close to limit of cd-r 700 Mb - still
the same problem!

One more try! Out with the DVD's and another burn - a bit of
an over kill!

Through it all again still the same problem! - the dreaded
K/Panic!

A lot of lost time, and 3 toasted discs - what's next ?

Anyone got me an answer ?

Cheers Tui

tazoc

#16 Post by tazoc »

Hi Tui,
Sorry about your trouble! Have you tried using 'puppy pfix=nocopy' at the bootmenu?

I'm discouraged with the results of testing so far, but happy to have so many quick replies. I wonder if I should just pull the 5.00 stuff off until we can sort this out, no decision yet, just thinking out loud here. I just didn't anticipate the difficulties.
-TazOC

tazoc

#17 Post by tazoc »

Barburo wrote:I tried every variation of Probe and Choose - Probe goes black screen and choosing a possible driver (Intel or i740) also goes nowhere. XORG force VESA is the only option that works because of the VESA fallback.

I have previously tried lucid puppy 5.01 which I believe uses the same Kernel (not sure about which version of xorg) and got a the correct screen resolution.
Does lucid use an i810 Intel driver?
B.
Hi Barburo,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, Lucid Puppy has an alternate i810 driver. LHP 5.00A has a newer Xorg from Slackware that has no i810 driver. Looks like we'll have to roll back to an earlier Xorg, not sure yet. I think Lucid 5.01 still has some problems with Intel graphics even with the auto-detect feature disabled. Have you tried it yet?
TazOC

yarddog

#18 Post by yarddog »

problem with gnumeric
when select desktop icon and try to format cells, program closes
when run from console, receive following errors

gnumeric:32009): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(gnumeric:32009): libglade-WARNING **: could not find glade file '/usr/share/goffice/0.6.6/glade/go-rotation-sel.glade'

(gnumeric:32009): libglade-WARNING **: could not find glade file '/usr/share/goffice/0.6.6/glade/go-format-sel.glade'

** (gnumeric:32009): CRITICAL **: go_combo_text_set_text: assertion `IS_GO_COMBO_TEXT (ct)' failed

(gnumeric:32009): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_get_selection: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(gnumeric:32009): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_selection_select_path: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_SELECTION (selection)' failed

(gnumeric:32009): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(gnumeric:32009): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handler_block: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(gnumeric:32009): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_entry_set_text: assertion `GTK_IS_ENTRY (entry)' failed

(gnumeric:32009): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(gnumeric:32009): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handler_unblock: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
Segmentation fault
<root> ~
same problem has appeared in dpup 482 and various versions of quirky
fyi

omskates

#19 Post by omskates »

Blackscreen problem here too. IBM Thinkpad X40 w/ intel video requires force Vesa as well.

Barburo

#20 Post by Barburo »

Hi TazOC,
When I first booted Lucid 5.01 it's automatic configurator gave me the correct resolution but the screen icons seemed to me to be a little fuzzy. I could have lived with it but I experimented with xorg and when I disabled the Intel driver I got a Vesa driven screen that was better - it worked at 1360x768 and the icons and text were sharper. Not sure how that worked but it is definitely better.
B.