Bert.....Dutch UPDATED!
MHHP....Swedish-color=green]UPDATED! [/color]
Tasgarth.....French UPDATED!
sasaqqdan... Chinese
mave... German UPDATED!
YoN.... Japanese
Jacapo... Italian
bit.. Russian
droope.. Spanish UPDATED! thanks GustavoYz!
renatogui.. Potuguese
mave.. a little gtkdialog splash to replace yaf-splash (now in all woof builds)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I have rewritten Quickpet to allow for internationalisation.

It is very similar to the way zigbert achieves this with all his apps.

If you can translate from English to your native language we would appreciate your help.

The file to translate is /usr/local/quickpet/locals/en_US:english. Please keep your descriptions to a similar length or shorter so that the gtk-dialog gui does not bork.

I will attach it separately.

For those who can't translate could you please test this new Quickpet-2.1 to make sure that I didn't break anything. The best way to test is to download the package and save it outside your pupsave, boot Lupu-500 as puppy pfix=ram and go through the normal drill of timezone, locale, connect.. then install the pet. Hopefully you will notice no change when your run the Browser Installer.

You don't need to test pfix=ram, you can test on any lupu installation. You can now run quickpet from the command line including Browser Installer

quickpet executes Quickpet normally
quickpet BI executes Browser Installer
quickpet -h a very minor help!
quickpet -v shows version number

Thank you for your help :)

Cheers

NOTE: Now 4beta4 with many new changes, we a looking forward to 5.2

NOTE: Now 4beta5 added Dutch, thanks Bert, minor bugfix to sfs install, thanks shinobar

NOTE: Now 4beta7 added Potuguese, thanks renatogui, updates to most translations, special thanks to himajin [jp] and GustavoYz [es]
Also fixed some bugs with sfs installation in full install and also added code to use Barry's new download_file if existing

NOTE: Now 4rc2.. sfs bugfix for full installs added, functionality for Barry's new 'download_file' script, frontend for wget, AND a new tiny gui for sfs_grab if you have a local sfs or for a remote sfs not in quickpet

NOTE: Now 4rc3, fixed a bug in sfs_grabber, thanks Jim1911

NOTE: Now 4rc4, improved graphics detection so some modifications to translations

NOTE: Now 4rc5, bugfix for locale LOC_920, 921, Tasgarth, new en_US uploaded, Dutch added

NOTE: Now 4rc6, bugfix for nvidia, thx bigpup, Petmaker plus is removed from sfs menu in menubar, thanks Jim1911

NOTE: Now 4.0-8, Dutch, French, Spanish addeed, also supports lupq by shinobar

NOTE: Now 4.0-9 .. Swedish added :)

NOTE: Now 4.0-10 .. German added :)
Attachments
quickpet_lupu-4.0-10.pet
(149.41 KiB) Downloaded 1325 times
en_US.english-404.tar.gz
(5.02 KiB) Downloaded 1144 times
Last edited by 01micko on Wed 12 Jan 2011, 12:22, edited 57 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

:o

Please note that there is a GTK bug exposed with mozilla browsers with these latest versions of Quickpet. I am trying to work around it, when I do I will let you know.

EDIT Fixed the Mozilla bug. It was very strange and I still think it is GTK bug with mozilla, but I could be wrong. Anyway it's fixed now. :)

Thanks.
Last edited by 01micko on Tue 25 May 2010, 08:44, edited 3 times in total.

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

Pardon me for being extrememly dense.

1. Quickpet does it work in Quirky too?
2. Quickpet in Swedish only makes the quickpet in Swedish while therest of Lupu will still be in English? Still helpful I get but I guess they want the whole Lupu to be in local language or they don't use it. Am I wrong?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

nooby wrote:Pardon me for being extrememly dense.

1. Quickpet does it work in Quirky too?
2. Quickpet in Swedish only makes the quickpet in Swedish while therest of Lupu will still be in English? Still helpful I get but I guess they want the whole Lupu to be in local language or they don't use it. Am I wrong?
Valid questions nooby :)
1)It is designed for Lupu because most of the packages have Ubuntu binaries. Some will work in Quirky, but I do not recommend to try it, if you do it is at own risk :wink:

2)Yes, it only localises for Quickpet, but Browser Installer is an integrated part of Quickpet and will be one of the first apps that a user will use. This is just a start.

Over the coming months I will convert all my apps with localisation ability, but I only know English so this is where I need help. Zigbert's apps are already there, but of course more work is needed. (More languages :wink: )

I would be most grateful if you can translate the file (the eng_US file) to Swedish. You would be doing Puppy an oustanding service. Once you extract the file you can open it with a right click>open as text. Even if you can only do part of it that would be great. If you can't do it that's ok, don't feel pressured . :) This is for fun, if it's not fun, why bother?

Cheers

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Thanks, I would feel very un-generous if I did not contribute. The forum has been my life 24/7 since Christmas 2009 so I owe the forum members at least that bit.

I don't promise though due to me even less good at computer terms in Swedish. I never use computer terms in Swedish. I have read and written in computer English since about 1986 and I learned English terms for computers since 1970 or so.

I simply don't know what the proper word for things is in Swedish because every time me see a Swedish computer term I get surprised me have no clue what it refers to. I always need do a double translation to get what it says.

From Swedish to English and back to my inner mentalese silent understanding.

But I could maybe try to borrow from Ubuntu Swedish and linux Mint Swedish terms and texts. and Exton's text too. So sooner or later I maybe do it. But we have many more Swedes on the forum so we maybe could work on it together.

I trust that they are much more used to Swedish terms.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

MinHundHettePerro

#6 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

nooby wrote:I trust that they are much more used to Swedish terms.
Me, not really. In thirty years of computing, I've never had a Swedish-speaking computer. I've seen Swedish versions of OS's, of course, but always feel a bit lost then due to my lack of knowledge of Swedish computer terminology :shock:.

Anyway, as an act of resistance to the growing domination of the modern times' lingua franca (would that be lingua ingla nowadays?), here's my lame attempt at a translation into Swedish.

Please, nooby, or anybody else, proofread and correct any mistakes or strange formulations that you find :).

Cheers :)/
MHHP
Attachments
sv_SE.tar.gz
(3.58 KiB) Downloaded 1320 times
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Bert

DUTCH

#7 Post by Bert »

Translation to Dutch :)
Attachments
nl_NL.tar.gz
(3.44 KiB) Downloaded 1303 times
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

01micko

#8 Post by 01micko »

MHHP, Bert..

Outstanding response :)

Thank you

Cheers

Iguleder

#9 Post by Iguleder »

I can help translate Quickpet to Hebrew, but I have 2 questions first:
- Will anyone find that usefull? Just a waste of space?
- Does Quicket/GTKDialog support BiDi/RTL/whatever you call it?
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

01micko

#10 Post by 01micko »

Iguleder wrote:I can help translate Quickpet to Hebrew, but I have 2 questions first:
- Will anyone find that usefull? Just a waste of space?
- Does Quicket/GTKDialog support BiDi/RTL/whatever you call it?
1) Someone will find it useful I'm sure. (Do you see "Who's online" in the forum stats? Usually 10 times more than the "registered" users. Good chance there is someone who will find Hebrew useful :wink: )

2) I don't know. I suppose it depends on Fribidi.. a lib that supports RTL. (as you probably know)

I know that I compiled JWM for Lupu without fribidi, but I can fix that. Gtk-dialog is a different kettle of fish. I will get back to you.

Cheers

Iguleder

#11 Post by Iguleder »

It seems that all the tools used by Quickpet are not UTF-8 capable. Yafsplash and all dialogs display giberish, but Quickpet itself plays nice ... should I translate only things that appear in Quickpet's dialog?

EDIT: here it is. Looks like crap, some strings are messed up (numbers or text in other languages are moved) and the splashes don't work at all. Pure giberish. Another problem is the OK button, it's not localized.
Attachments
qp.png
(46.69 KiB) Downloaded 7550 times
he_IL.tar.gz
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 1335 times
Last edited by Iguleder on Sat 22 May 2010, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

MinHundHettePerro

#12 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

With the localisation file encoded in UTF-8, GTK displays the text properly, while Xmessage/Yaf-splash display strange codes in place of the three non-ASCII Swedish letters.

OTOH, with the localisation file encoded in 8859-1, Xmessage/Yaf-splash display the text properly, while GTK replaces ÅåÄäÖö with nonsensical scribblings.

Is it possible to have the text that's relayed to Xmessage/Yaf-splash in a separate file, which could then have a different encoding :??

:?/
MHHP

MinHundHettePerro

#13 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Gibberish in gxmessage output might be solved by adding -encoding UTF-8 to the gxmessage lines of /usr/local/quickpet/quickpet.sh. Haven't tried it in lupu yet, am again away in another puppy, in which preliminary tests indicate that this could be part of the solution. Will try in lupu later this evening ...

Hth :)/
MHHP

Iguleder

#14 Post by Iguleder »

I tried to change the encoding, no encoding works. The gxmessage thing doesn't work either.

I think Hebrew is more problematic, I think it's a BiDi issue that causes the giberish. Let's hope we can figure out something generic for all languages.

01micko

#15 Post by 01micko »

Iguleder

Thanks for your efforts..

Does the Xdialog work? The only instance is with the Drivers when you install one. If it does work I can change all splashes and help messages to Xdialog. Gtk-dialog is a bit heavy for all the splash screens and would slow down a ram/chip challenged machine for sure.

Unfortunately yaf-splash is quite old, and obviously not compiled against Fribidi. Same with xmessage.

Cheers

01micko

#16 Post by 01micko »

MHHP wrote:Is it possible to have the text that's relayed to Xmessage/Yaf-splash in a separate file, which could then have a different encoding :? ?
Hmm, probably not. The solution may be to ditch xmessage and yaf-splash and use Xdialog, it is GTK based so should use the same encoding as gtk-dialog

Cheers

01micko

#17 Post by 01micko »

Ok

MHHP and Iguleder

I have rewritten all the splash messages and help screens in either gtk-dialog or Xdialog, that way we are only using GTK, screeny attached and see first post for upgrade.

Cheers :)
Attachments
sv-bi.png
is this ok?
(46.89 KiB) Downloaded 1802 times

01micko

#18 Post by 01micko »

Iguleder

Good news! I finally figured out how to add your locale file.. um .. it was my stupidity! :roll:

I had to rename it to he_IL.utf8

I only stumbled upon this by running

Code: Select all

env|grep LANG
That's what it returned, so I renamed.
The splashes and help files are fine now with the switch to a unified GTK base... and I fixed the "Ok" button

Cheers and thank you for your work.
Attachments
he-utf8.png
(38.15 KiB) Downloaded 1768 times

Iguleder

#19 Post by Iguleder »

Well done! :D

I'll do some testing and maybe upload a new file with everything fixed if needed. :wink:

Kudos, 01micko. :)

01micko

#20 Post by 01micko »

I'll do some testing and maybe upload a new file with everything fixed if needed.
Hi Iguleder,

Since I can't understand Hebrew then I'll let you be the judge on that one!

Although, would it be better if I kept the size of the pets just in English? eg "15MB". Then only the description needs translation.

Cheers