Nvidia geforce 2 mx 400 won't work with xorg

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
davk

Nvidia geforce 2 mx 400 won't work with xorg

#1 Post by davk »

Anyone else have problems with nvidia and xorg?.

I have an old geforce 2 mx 400 and xorg hangs during
detection process. I can't get it to work so forced to xvesa.

Generic nvidia driver for xorg?.

Cheers

BionicCommando

#2 Post by BionicCommando »

I have no probs with a generic (not sure of brand) geforce mx400 64mb on puppy 1.08 under xorg. Even got the proper nvidia driver running... Check the How To install nvidia... thread in the How To section..

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

generic (not sure of brand) geforce
:?: There are generic GeForces? I'm pretty sure nVidia has that trademarked or something..... But then, I've been wrong about things I've been more sure about than this, so who knows?
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

davk,
You could probably Google for a known-good xorg.conf file for GF2mx400 ... or go one better, and install the proprietary nVidia driver (with accelerated 3D) following Pizzasgood's instructions - http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... 06&start=0

BionicCommando

#5 Post by BionicCommando »

Question There are generic GeForces? I'm pretty sure nVidia has that trademarked or something..... But then, I've been wrong about things I've been more sure about than this, so who knows?
sorry Pizzas! i meant that i didn't know which company manufactured the board that i have but it does have a genuine nvidia geforce2 mx400 chipset on board...

Ted Dog

Works for me.

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

I have the same chipset on my graphics card and it worked fine with 1.08r1 PuppyOS . Also the new CeBIT version ofKanotix has a installer for nvidia, the results where wonderful. 20% CPU for a fullscreen 1200x1024 running DVDs not a single hickup or drop, very smooth ( even better than running in windowsXP by a large margin) Xorg ran at 2-3% using same nvidia drivers (kanotix CeBIT) without 30-50% CPU DVD mplayer and 20% Xorg.