Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
DC

#21 Post by DC »

Would it be possible to sort out the gcc version problem for a bug release of 5.0 ?

thanks

DC

01micko

#22 Post by 01micko »

stu90 wrote:I know 5.0 aim was to have the traditional puppy look / desktop layout but how about a new look/layout for 5.1?
Integration is the key... :wink:

zigbert already has DuDE which is officially supported in Quickpet. I installed your puppy.look pet over DuDE and had a disaster.. recovered fine though.

I do like your ideas and perhaps you should touch base with ziggy, he's a nice guy.. (although he'd probably want to bang my head for saying that.. he's a head banger...oh.. hang on, so am I! :roll: )

Seriously though, he may want to include your ideas in DuDE. I learned to code off ziggy so it wont do you any harm :wink: . He may even make you an honourary blingy boy 8) .. a true distinction, no joke. It is a part of my Puppy heritage.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#23 Post by 01micko »

DC wrote:Would it be possible to sort out the gcc version problem for a bug release of 5.0 ?

thanks

DC
Working on it.

Cheers

playdayz

#24 Post by playdayz »

I think Puppy needs some sound configuration wizard that runs alsaconf, alsamixer and adjusts volume levels. That could be a great thing for people that face problems with getting sound to work. Sort of a 1-2-3 wizard, no sound-alsaconf, still no sound- alsamixer, then it checks volume levels or something. Just an idea.
I think that is a good idea too. Be sure to check what is already there as a first step--just a general rule of thumb.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before going off tilting at new windmills, maybe a bugfix release for 5.0 would make a little sense? We already have a 5.0 thread with 76 pages full of reported bugs; do we want to repeat that performance with 5.1? Why report bugs that never get fixed?
Yes. There are two update procedures in place. First, the Update feature in Quickpet--the first one will be in a week or so. Second,.a bugfix release 5.0.1 in a month or so, followed by a 5.0.2 if necessary. Concerning bugs that don't get fixed. Some bugs just can't be fixed by us--those are built into Xorg, for instance. We can only look for ways to work around such bugs as those. It might be interesting to look at all the threads since the beginning of uPup development to see what percentage of reported problems have been rectified.

Iguleder

#25 Post by Iguleder »

playdayz, can you make a thread with a list of bugs and their status, plus a wishlist for 5.1? I think it could be a great idea to do such a thing and make it sticky. And locked maybe, so people don't mess it up with comments.

Another thread can be used for discussion about the development. People can refer to bugs and release goals by their numbers in the list or something, that could be awesome. Just think of it, "I solved #1, here's the fix", "I implemented #4" and so on. Moreover, people can be assigned tasks so the work is done more efficiently.

This way, we can hunt down bugs and release goals one by one easily, everything is presented clearly in front of our eyes.

By the way, does Woof come with all the Lupu stuff already? I'd like to make some Lupu "snapshots" to see if anything changed since the Ubuntu Lucid release. I'm sure it's a good idea to generate snapshots regularly, maybe some bugs (from the future list :wink:) will be solved for us by the Ubuntu guys.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Jim1911

#26 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:Jim1911. The gparted that is in LP5 is the Ubuntu binary. In some earlier versions up to 113 or so, I'm not sure, it was the pet. I replaced it only out of a prejudice for Ubuntu binaries in LP--it was actually bigger. You might try the one in the Puppy Package Manager (the pet). Both gparted's were taking a long time on ntfs drives--eventually displaying them, but very fast on Linux drives. I see what you mean about the uuid's. Let us know if you find one please. Thanks.
Upnorth's fix appears to work fine.
upnorth wrote:gparted is working properly, displaying uuids here.
one thing different is that i dropped in /sbin/blkid obtained from elsewhere.
anyone with quirky could copy its /sbin/blkid to /sbin. it might help gparted.

pa_mcclamrock

#27 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

01micko wrote:Look at Quickpet for example. It is an app that is about six weeks old.Not, even, 4/12/2010 is the date it was created. I haven't seen a complaint about it in the reviews, bug threads, anywhere.
That will never do. :wink: OK, here's one: it needs to be expanded. There should be a Word Processor Installer, comparable to the present Browser Installer; a Window Manager Installer too (for IceWM, at the very least); and maybe some other fairly big packages would be better as optional downloads rather than integral parts of the basic Puppy distro.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

01micko

#28 Post by 01micko »

pa_mcclamrock wrote: That will never do. :wink:
haha! Who siad I was finished? :lol:

Now, i've only used abi and Writer (OOorg). Can we get hold of that one you like..is it Softmaker? What other WPs will be suited? While we're at it, what about spread sheets?

We do need to be careful what we take out, there are those that are still on dialup and those who don't even have net access.

Cheers

jemimah

#29 Post by jemimah »

Not to mention that only the main SFS runs in RAM.

DaveS

#30 Post by DaveS »

jemimah wrote:Not to mention that only the main SFS runs in RAM.
That is a point rarely made Jemimah. It has a big bearing on the importance of re-mastering, yet the re-master process is still very basic. Only Dougals re-master script produces a true copy, the included script borks most of the customisation, such as additional trays in .jwm.
It is an area ripe for development.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

playdayz

#31 Post by playdayz »

The filesystem also should be in ram?
]

cthisbear

#32 Post by cthisbear »

I don't know if this has been mentioned.

I can run an ISO movie in Quirky 1.1 if I set the run action
and drag the media icon into it.

As far as I remember Lucid won't do that.

VLC runs ISO movies if you want to check it out.

I can't remember what Barry is using now.

Chris.

playdayz

#33 Post by playdayz »

gparted is working properly, displaying uuids here.
one thing different is that i dropped in /sbin/blkid obtained from elsewhere.
anyone with quirky could copy its /sbin/blkid to /sbin. it might help gparted.
I dropped in /sbin/blkid from Quirky 018. Where am i supposed to see the uuids?

Got it, right-click -> Information.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 22 May 2010, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#34 Post by jemimah »

playdayz wrote:
The filesystem also should be in ram?
Well, open programs and files are copied to ram by the operating system so they can run, but they live on disk in your save file unless they are in the main sfs. For instance opening a browser that you installed as a pet might take longer than one that's in the SFS, because the files are copied from the disk instead of from the ramdisk.

The main sfs is only copied to ram if the init scripts decide it is on "fast media" such as an HD. Normally if you're running from usb, it is not copied, except if you haven't created a save file. There is an option to force it to get copied.

So, for best performance, and smallest install size, you want to pack as much into the sfs as possible, but the bigger you make it, the more RAM is going to be required to run it. Add-on SFS files are not copied to RAM, but at least you still get the space benefits of compression.

My Ramboot code does copy all the SFS files and the save file to RAM. My goal in writing the code was to make it possible to shut down the hard disks to save power.

But the problem has been how to copy the save file back down to disk if you can't cleanly unmount it. Patriot just posted some code that may have solved this problem for me. I'll be testing the new shutdown script soon!

01micko

#35 Post by 01micko »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 601#420601

Translate Quickpet HERE

Have fun guys :)

Cheers

pa_mcclamrock

#36 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

01micko wrote:Now, i've only used abi and Writer (OOorg). Can we get hold of that one you like..is it Softmaker?
The freely available .PET for TextMaker 2002, about 3.6 MB, is in the Puppy 3 repository, and also here: http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/textmaker-2002_full.pet . Actually, I usually use TextMaker 2010 (in the SoftMaker Office 2010 package)--but unfortunately that's not available for free, and it's a lot more than 3.6 MB!
What other WPs will be suited?
If it's a Word Processor/Desktop Publisher Installer, it could include Scribus, which (like any DTP program) can be used as a word processor. There's also Kword, for those who want their little Puppy to wag a massive KDE tail (although I don't know if it would be any more massive than OO Writer).
While we're at it, what about spread sheets?
I hardly ever use them, so I don't know if Gnumeric has faults as bad as AbiWord's faults or not, and I don't know how OO Calc compares. There is a package for an old version of PlanMaker, the companion to TextMaker, in the Puppy 3 repository, but I think it may have limited functionality.
We do need to be careful what we take out, there are those that are still on dialup and those who don't even have net access
Yes--but, if they need to buy Puppy CDs, it would be possible to include a lot of extra .PETs on the CDs for optional installation. :)
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

Iguleder

#37 Post by Iguleder »

There's some serious hole in Quickpet - Puppy is a distro for old hardware that does not offer an easy way to install drivers for older GPUs. Quickpet should offer all the nvidia drivers and not just the 195 series.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Jim1911

#38 Post by Jim1911 »

Consider updating the remaster-script to match the features of the Japanese version of 431 which I believe is the only one available that fetches from a directory, a mounted iso and a CD. Dougal's script does also and works, but needs update because the resulting iso has to have some minor edits for it to work with the latest derivatives because of some syntax changes. The current script in lupu will fetch needed files from a mounted iso, but not a directory.

Thanks,
Jim

playdayz

#39 Post by playdayz »

My Ramboot code does copy all the SFS files and the save file to RAM. My goal in writing the code was to make it possible to shut down the hard disks to save power.
And am I right, this is also basically what a DVD Multi-session does???

I would like to have a similar option as this in LP 5.1.

01micko

#40 Post by 01micko »

cthisbear wrote: I can't remember what Barry is using now.

Chris.
You sound like Bondy mate!

He's using gnome mplayer at the moment but experimenting for Q-1.2

The difference now is that Lupu has a different set of base libraries so anything Barry does for Quirky is not likely to work in Lupu.

We need to compile stuff for Lupu as the native Ubuntu stuff is just too big.

Ffmpeg is the key, especially with the exciting new developments of Html5 and WebM/Vp8 ..all mumbo jumbo to me at the moment but I'll try to get a handle on it.

As Lupu matures so will the developer base, I think the 501 follow up is going to be the key. Not just that it will work for more, but that it shows that we listen and act.

Cheers