Problem Booting v1.0.8 (P133, 32 MB RAM)

Booting, installing, newbie
nicom

Problem Booting v1.0.8 (P133, 32 MB RAM)

#1 Post by nicom »

I currently have 1.0.6 working well on my old machine (P133, 32 MB). I am trying to upgrade to 1.0.8r1 and I intend to install it onto another partition of one of my drives. When I try to live boot (with the aid of a floppy) the boot process freezes. I checked the image with md5sum and it was OK. I can also boot successfully with the dsik onto more modern computers but not on my dinosaur.

The boot process successfully gets as far as
Mouning tmpfs... Done

I then get the messages such as
__alloc_pages: 0-order alocation failed (gfp=0x1d2/0)
VM: killing process cp
Killed
or
__alloc_pages: 0-order alocation failed (gfp=0x1d2/0)
VM:killing process init
Killed
It then freezes or times out for 60 seconds. I assume it's a hardware issue but why is it different to 1.0.6 live boot which still works.

Does anyone have any ideas?

jmarsden

#2 Post by jmarsden »

Looks a bit like it is running short of RAM? Do you have a swap parttion in place? Is Puppy using it by the time it gives this error message?

If not... maybe your RAM is going bad? Run memtest86+ overnight or something, to rule this out, if you can.

Jonathan

nicom

#3 Post by nicom »

Thanks Jonathan,

From your suggestion I am running memtest at the moment but I doubt I will find anything. As I said I can run version 1.0.6 from either the HD or the CD. The HD version definately has the swap file turned on but with the live 1.0.8 version I don't get far enough into the boot process to turn on the swap partition.

nicom

#4 Post by nicom »

memtest did not produce any errors.

Does anyone have another suggestion, or do I need to travel down the rocky road of manual HD install.