Lucid Puppy 5.0 - Bug Reports and Bug Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
nickdobrinich

ext3 save file corruption

#41 Post by nickdobrinich »

Gentlemen,
Great job on the Lucid 5.0 release.

I had problems when I created my initial frugal install save file with ext3.
Thinking it might be hardware related, I tried it on 2 other machines.
Same problem: creeping corruption of the save file but never a total fail.
Seems to me I have seen this ext3 problem in other recent Puppies.

When I restarted anew and saved to ext2, all was good.

Sage

#42 Post by Sage »

Re. k/b. never understood why BK didn't make the GB keyboard as default? Unless he's an Aussie Republican, in which case kb=au is utterly acceptable. The mutt has a strong Commonwealth following. Anyway, why are Aussies so disinterested in cricket this morning?!
Like Béèm, I also got an Error: something/something/usr/something pin full message. Too many 'features' with Lupu at present makes it into a kit distro, so abandoned until patches fixed.

dalderton

#43 Post by dalderton »

Dvorak keyboard does not work either.First and only Puppy version that will not do it.I have posted this before with Zero Reaction. I guess that I am in the definite minority.
Enjoy the 20-20 result and wait till the real stuff starts.
Regards Dennis.

tubeguy

Chromium bug?

#44 Post by tubeguy »

I got a "security cert revoked" error when accessing gmail this morning, see attachment. Firefox does not show any problem though. Other sites in Chromium OK. Thought it might be my DNS settings but I get the same result with default settings and with

Code: Select all

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
nameserver 8.8.4.4
Weird.
Attachments
googlerevoked.jpg
(40.43 KiB) Downloaded 1189 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

smog

#45 Post by smog »

I also cannot get the uk keyboard setting to work.

The locale and timezones don't appear to change either.

The screen flicker mentioned by others is present on both my Samsung Q35 Centrino and my Dell Mini 9 netbook. Its quite slight and happens every couple of minutes. (This sort of flicker used to happen in very early Ubuntu versions with NVidia graphics on another laptop I have, an NVida driver update fixed that). I think BK has noted this happenning in some of his blogs on other versions.

Other than that, looks good, thanks for all your work.

smog

#46 Post by smog »

I also cannot get the uk keyboard setting to work.

The locale and timezones don't appear to change either.

The screen flicker mentioned by others is present on both my Samsung Q35 Centrino and my Dell Mini 9 netbook. Its quite slight and happens every couple of minutes. (This sort of flicker used to happen in very early Ubuntu versions with NVidia graphics on another laptop I have, an NVida driver update fixed that). I think BK has noted this happenning in some of his blogs on other versions.

Other than that, looks good, thanks for all your work.

smog

#47 Post by smog »

repeat deleted by author

pitagora

Re: lupu-500.sfs filename for lupu_500.sfs in Lucid Puppy iso

#48 Post by pitagora »

Béèm wrote:Are you sure, you didn't mistype something?
I have checked the iso and indeed the file is named correctly there.

I took the iso from the official alternative location http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... puppy-5.0/. I wanted to do a frugal installation on a Windows XP machine. I downloaded the ISO and I used WinRar to get the files from the iso. So I got the LUPU_500.SFS extracted, which of course, was not found later by the bootloader. By renaming to lupu-500.sfs I got it working. Indeed, my problem was almost sure caused by winrar.

Pizzasgood

#49 Post by Pizzasgood »

EDIT: Erm, actually I just re-tested the following in a clean 5.0 and it worked fine. Hmmm.... Either the person I was working with doesn't actually have a clean version like they said, or logging in through SSH changed things. Anyways, I'll leave this here for now.

EDIT 2: Yes, it turns out that they had actually installed a bunch of extra stuff, including things related to the shadow package, which is almost certainly what broke their system. The normal Puppy 5.0 is fine, ignore this post.

-----

passwd doesn't work. It gives the following error:

# passwd
passwd: pam_start() failed, error 26
It seems to be a misconfigured PAM installation. If you add some files it begins working, but there may be other things still goofed up. I know very little about PAM.

touch /etc/pam.d/common-{account,auth,password,session}
echo "password required pam_unix.so md5" >> /etc/pam.d/common-password
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Tue 08 Jun 2010, 20:43, edited 2 times in total.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

jemimah

Re: Chromium bug?

#50 Post by jemimah »

tubeguy wrote:I got a "security cert revoked" error when accessing gmail this morning, see attachment. Firefox does not show any problem though.
SSL in chrome does not work unless your timezone and system time are correctly set. I'm guessing that's what your problem is.

nooby

#51 Post by nooby »

pitagora wrote:I took the iso from the official alternative location http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... puppy-5.0/. I wanted to do a frugal installation on a Windows XP machine. I downloaded the ISO and I used WinRar to get the files from the iso. So I got the LUPU_500.SFS extracted, which of course, was not found later by the bootloader. By renaming to lupu-500.sfs I got it working. Indeed, my problem was almost sure caused by winrar.
Yes that is how winrar works. Or maybe the file system in M$.

The forum has known about it since 2008 or much earlier. IIRC
It is unfair to blame it on Puppy linux.

But you did not know about it. Maybe one could expect the devs to tell it in the download directory in a Read this first text file?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: lupu-500.sfs filename for lupu_500.sfs in Lucid Puppy iso

#52 Post by Béèm »

pitagora wrote:
Béèm wrote:Are you sure, you didn't mistype something?
I have checked the iso and indeed the file is named correctly there.

I took the iso from the official alternative location http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... puppy-5.0/. I wanted to do a frugal installation on a Windows XP machine. I downloaded the ISO and I used WinRar to get the files from the iso. So I got the LUPU_500.SFS extracted, which of course, was not found later by the bootloader. By renaming to lupu-500.sfs I got it working. Indeed, my problem was almost sure caused by winrar.
In the rare cases I use Windows I always use imgburn and never had a problem of files changing case.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

uglyface

#53 Post by uglyface »

Hi, I have successfully run 5.0 on an Acer Timeline 4810T. Graphics were automatically detected. But it seems very strange to me that there is no browser installed by default, only a 4-options browser picker that tries to download it? Wouldn't it be best to include something like Seamonkey or Chrome? Because if the user doesn't use a pupsave file then he has to re-download the browser every time. Thanks!

jemimah

#54 Post by jemimah »

Tested on Eee 1005HA with Intel 945GME graphics.

Xorg expects the device /dev/dri/card0 to exist, but it doesn't on Lupu. So DRM fails to load.

Possible fix:

mkdir /dev/dri
ln -s /dev/card0 /dev/dri/card0
This makes the Xorg log happy, but hardinfo still says I don't have direct rendering, so I'm not sure who's right since glxinfo is not there. I'm not sure, but it seems to me the occasional annoying screen flicker went away after I made the symbolic link.

---

Another quip.

At 1024x600 the quickpet icon gets covered by the first drive icon. Better to put it next to the connect icon. The spacing here is important though or the icons will probably stack if you try to run it at 800x480.

Minomushi

Lucid Puppy 5.0 gcc Problem of gcc?

#55 Post by Minomushi »

Hello

I executed it as follows.

# set|grep MACH
MACHTYPE=i486-t2-linux-gnu
# cd /usr/lib/gcc
# ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 26 2010-04-18 22:26 i486-linux-gnu
[i486-linux-gnu] is this correct :?:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#56 Post by Lobster »

This VLC pet seems to have modified my mime types (gosh I did not understand what it was asking but allowed it) and is now working in Lucid. Can someone confirm this and then it can be added to quickpet (maybe) :)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... h&id=28336

You should not need the front end created by Scottman if you just want to click on ASF files to play them - I think that is right but I did install it . . .
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 649#412649

If both are needed for Lucid then maybe they can be combined into 1 pet?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

playdayz

#57 Post by playdayz »

Thank you everyone for trying Lucid Puppy 5.0

Xorg.conf file. Lucid Puppy 5 is different than previous Puppies. Because of advances in Xorg, it does not always need the full xorg.conf file anymore, so that is not really a bug to not have one.

Keyboard. I think if one sets the keyboard with the Keyboard and Video Resolution Setter on the First Run Wizard that the keyboard will change and be persistent. At least when I try it I get some keyboards that i don't know how to use. It is also possible to change the keyboard by Menu -> Exit to prompt -> xorgwizard (which is the same as the Keyboard and Video Resolution Setter).
However an attempt to UPGRADE a FULL install of Q1.0 yields a broken Xorg/VESA combo
Quirky and Lucid Puppy are very different under the hood--it will not work to update one to the other.

Direct Rendering is not enabled jemimah, . We will be preparing a full_xorg package that will have dri/glx. We tested and tested and found no obvious advantage to direct rendering which surprised me greatly since that was one of the original purposes of Karmic/Lucid Puppy. I have come to think that if you have an lcd monitor so the 60HZ refresh doesn't bother you, that vesa is just as good as anything else.
Because if the user doesn't use a pupsave file then he has to re-download the browser every time. Thanks!
PuppyBrowser is installed, a small fast browser that is OK for limited browsing. Otherwise, it seemed that choice was more important since the browser is so important to the user experience and everyone has a different favorite browser.
I got a "security cert revoked" error when accessing gmail this morning, see attachment. Firefox does not show any problem though. Other sites in Chromium OK.
I have noticed that Chromium and Opera are getting very militant about certificates--my school with 10,000 students has a "bad" certificate according to Opera.
Boot with pfix=ram
After selecting the correct locale, when the desktop came back, the selected and changed locale isn't shown
Same for timezone.
Oops, Beem, That was my mistake--I didn't think it through.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 18 May 2010, 05:07, edited 2 times in total.

DaveS

#58 Post by DaveS »

playdayz wrote: I have noticed that Chromium and Opera are getting very militant about certificates--my school with 10,000 students has a "bad" certificate according to Opera.
Firefox too, though it allows you to over-ride............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jemimah

#59 Post by jemimah »

playdayz wrote:T
Direct Rendering is not enabled jemimah, . We will be preparing a full_xorg package that will have dri/glx. We tested and tested and found no obvious advantage to direct rendering which surprised me greatly since that was one of the original purposes of Karmic/Lucid Puppy. I have come to think that if you have an lcd monitor so the 60HZ refresh doesn't bother you, that vesa is just as good as anything else.
Regardless, having the kernel and Xorg disagree about where the DRM device is, is a probable cause of a lot of the graphics problems people are complaining about. Really, you should look into it.

panzerpuppy

#60 Post by panzerpuppy »

Looks like you haven't tested DRI in Lupu with an ATI card. It's a night and day difference with ATI cards - DRI makes these cards perform *way* better.

Try running the Peacekeeper browser benchmark for example with DRI disabled and then with DRI active (+ pageflipping ON) and you'll see what I mean.
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Tue 18 May 2010, 06:23, edited 2 times in total.
Turbopup Tech Support