Lucid Puppy 5.0 - Bug Reports and Bug Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
WhoDo

#21 Post by WhoDo »

Icons missing from "Open With" menu (/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith directory.

Just a bit of "polish" that makes things look more professional, nothing more. :wink:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

mave

#22 Post by mave »

Hi 01micko,
Perhaps try one of the alternate boot parameters, it looks like it is not agreeing with your hardware
I will, but other Puppys are running on this hardware. So, where is the difference?

DaveS

#23 Post by DaveS »

stu90 wrote:
DaveS wrote:Sadly, hopeless. Mousepointer barely moves, totally unable to install UK keyboard. Keyboard not working at all in Abiword. At that point gave up. Guess its my hardware, but its just a bog standard three year old Acer laptop :(

regarding slow mouse - try editing xorg.conf to:

Option "MinSpeed" "0.30"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.90"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.0090"
Have given up with Lucid but thanks for this as it gave me the impetus to set up my touchpad in a much more refined way for 4.3.1DuDE. Thanks again.........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sage

#24 Post by Sage »

Interesting. The live CD is fine. However an attempt to UPGRADE a FULL install of Q1.0 yields a broken Xorg/VESA combo. The default vga=normal removed from the boot line didn't help, just get the 'run xorgwizard' every time. Wiped HD - OK, but all icons missing (lower lhs icons were overlapped on liveCD). Re-run Xorgwizard, they all appear except sr0 (no disc present!).
Lots of good ideas, needs pots of refinement and polish.

nooby

#25 Post by nooby »

Upgrade Ubuntu? But Puppy Lucid version only make use of the repository.

To upgrade seems to ask for disaster. One wait until the Puppy devs have made a new version and install that one. Or one learn to make them one own maybe. Never do upgrade :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#26 Post by Lobster »

How to knock 75k off the next Lucid update?
My original background was a 95k png
this jpg is just under 20k
Attachments
lucid_lobster2.jpg
(19.78 KiB) Downloaded 671 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Sage

#27 Post by Sage »

To upgrade seems to ask for disaster.
More interesting to push the envelope, esp. when offered!

DaveS

#28 Post by DaveS »

My guess here is that my problems are related to using the wrong video driver. How can I determine which video driver my 4.3.1 uses?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#29 Post by Béèm »

DaveS wrote:My guess here is that my problems are related to using the wrong video driver. How can I determine which video driver my 4.3.1 uses?
Look in xorg.conf.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

tubeguy

tmp full?

#30 Post by tubeguy »

See screenshots. I tried looking at a 40k pdf and got a "tmp full" message. I looked in there and xerrs.log is 245meg. Wondering what could possibly be in there, but it won't open.

Edit: I found the source. After a restart I ran Aqualung and when it got to the end of the playlist bad behaviour began in earnest. My cpu was pegged and xerrs.log started to fill up with these lines, repeated over and over:

Code: Select all

(aqualung:6851): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_store_iter_next: assertion `iter->stamp == GTK_TREE_STORE (tree_model)->stamp' failed

(aqualung:6851): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_store_get_path: assertion `iter->stamp == tree_store->stamp' failed

(aqualung:6851): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_path_get_depth: assertion `path != NULL' failed

(aqualung:6851): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_path_up: assertion `path != NULL' failed

(aqualung:6851): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_model_get_iter: assertion `path != NULL' failed
It took about 10 seconds for 130meg of these messages to pile up before I killed aqulaung in htop, another few seconds and tmp would have been full again.

It should be noted that the only time I've ever had Aqualung work correctly was in 4.3.1, and I know there is no 5.0 pet for Aqualung. I also know Aqualung itself is a work in progress so I don't see this as a 5.0 thing, just that it hasn't been compiled for 5.0 yet.
Attachments
noroom.png
(113.36 KiB) Downloaded 596 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

Iguleder

#31 Post by Iguleder »

I've noticed an annoying problem of non-refreshing areas in both Firefox and Rox, I use the Rox that came with Lupu and Firefox from Quickpet.

When I put a window on top and scroll down in Firefox, the area behind it isn't refreshed. The same happens in Rox when scrolling in list view. I'm not sure about this, I think it started when I installed nvidia drivers. It needs further investigation.

Someone reported this already.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

valpy

#32 Post by valpy »

Hi 01micko

I can confirm the problem with the uk keyboard (on two separate computers).

UK keyboard does not work, you can see this by booting livecd with

boot: puppy pkeys=uk

after a short while you get

"loading 'uk' keyboard layout ........ failed"

and then the boot pauses for 60 seconds before loading the default (us) keymap.

Using other locales (e.g. pkeys=de) works.

Regards
valpy

Billtoo

Lucid Puppy 5.0 - Bug Reports and Bug Fixes

#33 Post by Billtoo »

Sage wrote:Interesting. The live CD is fine. However an attempt to UPGRADE a FULL install of Q1.0 yields a broken Xorg/VESA combo. The default vga=normal removed from the boot line didn't help, just get the 'run xorgwizard' every time. Wiped HD - OK, but all icons missing (lower lhs icons were overlapped on liveCD). Re-run Xorgwizard, they all appear except sr0 (no disc present!).
Lots of good ideas, needs pots of refinement and polish.
This is what I get on a full install of Lucid Puppy 5.0
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(44.19 KiB) Downloaded 935 times

nooby

#34 Post by nooby »

I always use setxkbmap se and you guys say it should be pkeys se what is the difference?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ariel

black screen with first boot

#35 Post by ariel »

I'll tell you my experience so far with a frugal install of lupu and suggest to newbies some fixes for some troubles I met.

the first boot the screen on my laptop went black the moment it should have started X and freezed. after a while I discovered the xorg wizard wilfully tried to use intel i810 driver for my video card, which is not good for the hardware of my laptop (256Mb ram/ 2Ghz). I have to tell that puppy 4.x series didn't have this problem.

what I did to make it work is to boot with

puppy pfix=nox

...to stop the X server from trying to start. then I typed

xorg-setup.old

I have chosen the keybord layout and then I have chosen the generic Vesa driver with the appropriate screen resolution (if you don't know what to chose try the lowest possible resolution). After that I typed

xwin

...and finally I got lupu up and running. After reboot things were fine.

-The only thing I don't like still, is an almost imperceptible flicker of the screen. any idea on how I can settle this?

-Another glitch is that the icons of new devices always overlap in the bottom left corner of the screen.

-I've also experienced a slow pointer movement like others. I would suggest for any mouse problems to download FlSynclient pet from previous puppy versions to fix everything that might occur. It worked for me.

these few things aside, thanks guys for this new version of puppy :D

upnorth

blkid & ldconfig

#36 Post by upnorth »

blkid & ldconfig should probably be included.

also in ~/.jwm/ please check on the file permissions

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#37 Post by Béèm »

Just a word of warning and advice.
Always have a backup.

I experienced a nasty thing. Saw a flash about some puppypin error, but couldn't see the detail and it was gone.

After that I has troubles to continue running the SeaMonkey session.
I wanted to close but that didn't work.
I then wanted to restart X. I couldn't select from the menu.

I then did ALT-CTRL-backspace to get to the command prompt. Typed xwin, but I came to the prompt again. No way to restart X. When typing reboot I could restart the PC.

All seemed well again, except that I realized I lost all my bookmarks of SeaMonkey. Fortunately I had somewhere a copy dated half april.

I really can explain more what happened. I was just replying to a post.
Never had such an issue.
Time savers:

pitagora

lupu-500.sfs filename for lupu_500.sfs in Lucid Puppy iso

#38 Post by pitagora »

I think the name of the lupu_500.sfs in the iso file should be changed to lupu-500.sfs. It took me a while to install Lucid Puppy in a manual frugal install. I extracted directly the files from the iso download and configured grub. However things did not work first time because the lupu_500.sfs file is not valid when booting in frugal mode, it had to be lupu-500.sfs.

Béèm

Re: lupu-500.sfs filename for lupu_500.sfs in Lucid Puppy iso

#39 Post by Béèm »

pitagora wrote:I think the name of the lupu_500.sfs in the iso file should be changed to lupu-500.sfs. It took me a while to install Lucid Puppy in a manual frugal install. I extracted directly the files from the iso download and configured grub. However things did not work first time because the lupu_500.sfs file is not valid when booting in frugal mode, it had to be lupu-500.sfs.
I don't know what iso you downloaded, but the one I downloaded from the official site did contain lupu-500.sfs and not lupi_500.sfs.
Are you sure, you didn't mistype something?
Time savers:

valpy

#40 Post by valpy »

@nooby

pkeys=uk as a boot parameter forces puppy to use a uk keyboard, no matter what has been set in a pupsave (or in this case, lupusave) file. psave=se would force a Swedish keyboard. This is a very crude override, but you can be sure of what Puppy should do, after setting this.

It's a one-off setting, relating only to that particular boot.... if you boot again without this boot parameter , whatever you have set as a default in your save file will be used.

My point here is that the UK keyboard does not work. If you force a boot with a UK keyboard, it fails. And if you set UK keyboard as a default using the setup gui, that doesn't work either - you always get a US keyboard.

Forcing the boot to use 'uk' proves that the 'uk' settings are broken in Lucid Puppy.

Although other keyboard settings (se, de) work, uk does not.

valpy