Boxpup 431

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Colonel Panic

#61 Post by Colonel Panic »

Roy wrote:Colonel Panic,

That is the same list of directories & files I am showing in /root/.pwidgets, too. Might I suggest that you PM me to set up an e-mail exchange to troubleshoot further? If we find the problem / fix, we can then post it to the forum.

I'm willing to stick by your side on this.... Boxpup 4.31 does run very well on my netbook (widgets and all) and is a good effort by Gray. (I will note that some of the coding in PWidgets need some additional polish which I gleaned from other posts scattered thoughout this forum, but these two or three things were minor and did not prevent pwidgets from running.)

-Roy
Sure, feel free to PM me. Provided it's reasonably easy to sort out I'm happy to go along with this.

Thanks for your interest,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

moB

#62 Post by moB »

Roy wrote:Colonel Panic,

That is the same list of directories & files I am showing in /root/.pwidgets, too. Might I suggest that you PM me to set up an e-mail exchange to troubleshoot further? If we find the problem / fix, we can then post it to the forum.

I'm willing to stick by your side on this.... Boxpup 4.31 does run very well on my netbook (widgets and all) and is a good effort by Gray. (I will note that some of the coding in PWidgets need some additional polish which I gleaned from other posts scattered thoughout this forum, but these two or three things were minor and did not prevent pwidgets from running.)
Sorry to be of no use on this -- pwidgets are working perfectly here. My son simply enabled and then chose which to display... perplexing puzzle.

Looks as though your guide Roy is your best bet to get to the bottom of this. Keep us posted!

Roy wrote: moB,

I have zero experience with virtual box or multi-user puplets, but your problem might be with Thunar file manager (Pretty much a standard with the OpenBox window manager -- both in Boxpup). Other Puppy versions (without the "Box" reference to OpenBox) use ROX as a file manager, which supports symlinks. Thunar file manager, in my limited understanding, does not support symlinks by default. Hence, any programming symlinks added might not be persistent if they are made at all. This is only a best-guess from me -- a non-coding Puppy Linux end-user.

-Roy
Yes Thunar is a bit different than Rox or other FM's but works well under NOP (also by Gray, with Thunar FM).

I also had troubles with VBox guest additions with DPup--but not with Debian or Puppy (straight-up). Odd...
Still working on K-9 and others.

Would be good to have access to kernel headers--the ones the compiler was made against, not the one running.
Linus T had 2.4 headers installed on his 2.6.x OS as this was what the GCC was copiled against, for example.

Oh! I'm running away from the thread. Sorry...

For multi-user, the easiest way is to use more than one pupsave file.
Boot pfix=ram then save session with a new name, one for each user.
Puppy will offer the options on boot.

Otherwise try multi-user from Pizzasgood, I believe.

You're a king among men Roy!

moB

"not too late is it, even now..."
Melville, Moby Dick (The Whale)

moB

pcmanfm problems

#63 Post by moB »

Boxpup 431 uses PCMANFM, not Thunar.
This file manager has known problems and is undergoing a major revision by the author.
Perhaps this is the source of the trouble I am experiencing?

http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/

We'll have to wait for the new version to see.

Optionally I could try to replace PCMAN with Thunar... or skip Boxpup in Virtual Appliances for the time being :( That's too bad as it looks to be highly usable for ms-Win accustomed users.

The sfs version of gues additions works the same as the pet version.
It allows me to have only one copy per drive, instead of each puppy instance needing its own. My test drive has five or six Puppies on it...

Colonel Panic

#64 Post by Colonel Panic »

A quick update; having made a save file from Boxpup 4.31, I replaced it in my CD/DVD drive with a copy of Puppy standard 4.31 and then installed Conky 1.7.0 and PWidgets 2.2.4 from the pet files.

The result, on restarting X Windows; success! I now have PWidgets up and working on my machine. The only problem, a minor one, is that I have two clocks on my desktop for some reason...

Thanks to you both for your interest anyway.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

yhorn

#65 Post by yhorn »

Hi everybody,

I would like to download boxpup 431, but the link puppylinux.ca/tpp/NOP/puppy-431-boxpup.iso does not work (the file does not appear on the web page) with internet explorer 7 (I'm a windows user...).
Do you know another link to download this iso (google does'nt find) ?
Thank you for your help.

yhorn

cthisbear

#66 Post by cthisbear »

This took a bit of searching.

Note the Password is different. >> linuxNOP431

////////////

russoodle :

" Gray - another mirror for NOP, thank you :)

User: puppy

Password: linuxNOP431

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 9&start=60

Here is the link.

http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... 31-NOP.iso

Chris.

yhorn

#67 Post by yhorn »

cthisbear,

Thanks for your help.
But the link you give is an iso of NOP 431, not an iso of boxpup 431.

yhorn

Roy

#68 Post by Roy »

http://filesaves.com/vnn9s6sxx1jr/puppy ... up.iso.htm

Good for 30 days from last download. Requires xineplugin fix located on page 2 of this thread.

md5sum: 30cc7611479877a9c0317477764acaa7 puppy-431-boxpup.iso

wosifat

#69 Post by wosifat »

Ditto on not being able to download Boxpup 431. The link Roy gave doesn't seem to work either.

Roy

#70 Post by Roy »

Yeah, I just checked it out and it looks as if http://filesaves.com/vnn9s6sxx1jr/puppy ... up.iso.htm is either being redirected or is dead. Unfortunately, I don't have the boxpup431.iso file on hand to re-upload at the moment.

If somebody else has this .iso, could you please upload it somewhere for others to use?

If not, I'll see what I can do in the coming weeks (I am traveling).

-Roy

Sylvander

#71 Post by Sylvander »

Download puppy-431-boxpup.iso from here.

md5sum = 30cc7611479877a9c0317477764acaa7 puppy-431-boxpup.iso
[Checks as OK on my PC]
Got from here:
http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP/puppy-431-boxpup_md5sum.txt

Linked to from here:
http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP/

Roy

#72 Post by Roy »

Thank you, Sylvander.

-Roy

cthisbear

#73 Post by cthisbear »

Sylvander:

First class effort.
Thanks for your response.

" So whoever has one please upload it to 2shared
and post the link. "

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57465

Chris.

tangoweb

Download from here.-

#74 Post by tangoweb »

Download Boxpup-431.iso

md5sum: 30cc7611479877a9c0317477764acaa7 puppy-431-boxpup.iso
Last edited by tangoweb on Sat 10 Jul 2010, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://uy3.uni.cc/sign2.png[/img]

Sylvander

#75 Post by Sylvander »

Working in Boxpup-431 right now...

Problem:

1. Firefox-3.6.6:
(a) When I leave 1 or more Firefox windows open and reboot...
Once back into Boxpup...
If I open Firefox, I'm NOT asked whether I want to restore my previous windows.
Instead it opens a single window at my default web-page.

(b) This despite the fact "Edit->Preferences->General->Startup->When Firefox starts:" is set to "Show my windows and tabs from last time".

(c) I have automatic-save-session-during-the-session set at zero [disable, no-save]...
And the necessary coding change to offer the choice at shut-down of save or no-save [I've chosen to save when necessary].
I have also installed SavePuppy.pup [prog = save2flash], and use that during the session to manually save.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(d) Also...
Firefox not saving passwords at Puppy and PC-Guide forums.

2. Any ideas for fixes?

Roy

#76 Post by Roy »

Sylvander,

I may be out of line here -- as I certainly cannot speak for Gray who created this version -- but I believe his intention with Firefox was that it not save or cache anything from one session to another. My best guess is that he intended to prevent the "Why is my save file self-expanding?" question associated with other versions. (Of course, these are only my personal assumptions.)

Quite frankly, I've found this "feature" to be reassuring when loaning my net-book out to fellow air travelers who were searching for connections or accommodations. I simply removed and pocketed my 32GB SDHC card, containing all of my personal files, before letting them use my machine.

I don't know the method Gray used to accomplish this, but I would bet that if the browsing history and cache were re-enabled, it would meet your expectations.

Alternatively, I have at various times had Opera, Seamonkey 1.18, Seamonkey 2.0x, and Chrome all running flawlessly in Boxpup 431 (in addition to the default Firefox). Although I did not record my step-by-step actions to accomplish these things, I certainly remember enough to point someone in the right direction, should they desire to do likewise.

-Roy

Edit: I might add that I am interested in what you did to slow down the save file writes, as my own net-book is using an internal Solid State Disk.

Sylvander

#77 Post by Sylvander »

1. "if the browsing history and cache were re-enabled, it would meet your expectations."
Exactly so. :D
I found and enabled "Edit->Preferences->Privacy->Use custom settings for history", which made appear the necessary tick-boxes for cookies and history.
Made the necessary choices, and all is now working as I like. 8)

2. "I am interested in what you did to slow down the save file writes"
See 2-a & b here.

Roy

#78 Post by Roy »

Thank you, Sylvander!

-Roy

Sylvander

#79 Post by Sylvander »

A couple of niggling problems:

(a) If I boot Boxpup-431 using the pupsave held on one of the 6 ext3 partitions on my 8GB Flash drive...
It is unable to see/display any of the partitions on it.

(b) Right now, working within Boxpup-431 that's using a copy of the same pupsave that I copies to a folder [only 1 layer down] on a partition on an internal HDD...
And it CAN see/display the partitions on that same 8GB Flash Drive.

2. This Boxpup has both a display in the system tray [of CPU usage?], and also a "CPU graph" widget.
How is it that [under certain circumstances] the system tray display will show max [100%?] usage, yet the "CPU graph" shows no such dramatic increase in usage?
Are they not displaying the same thing?

grimoire

#80 Post by grimoire »

Any recent updates and changes from this puplet?