Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#981 Post by James C »

My Lucid Puppy desktop...... :)

tubeguy

#982 Post by tubeguy »

James C wrote:My Lucid Puppy desktop...... :)
Sweet!
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

James C

#983 Post by James C »

tubeguy wrote:
James C wrote:My Lucid Puppy desktop...... :)
Sweet!
Bears a slight resemblance to 10.04,doesn't it....... :lol:

playdayz

#984 Post by playdayz »

I just uploaded release candidate 2. it has the Release Notes and the fix to Quickpet for DuDE. (I didn't know about having to include the release notes.) If anyone has a chance to test I would appreciate it. It will hopefully be the actual release which should go to Distrowatch tomorrow.

Here is the Announcement and Release Notes. (It is missing one puppy picture.)

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/release-550.htm

tubeguy

#985 Post by tubeguy »

Puppy 5!! <-- 8)
Attachments
puppy5.jpg
(40.25 KiB) Downloaded 1213 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

James C

#986 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of RC 2, went through the typical drill .......resolution, Firefox, Quickpet, etc. .......no difficulties.Installed about ten different pets and everything works correctly. :)

Didn't realize there was now a RC 3 until I'd already downloaded and reinstalled. :)

smil99

#987 Post by smil99 »

Hi playdayz and all,
Openshot 1.0.0 now works in lucid puppy! With exception of python2.52 pet, links to all the other files can be found in the following thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 198#418198

After installation, use rox to set permission on /usr/share/openshot/openshot.py.
It can be started through the puppy menu under the multimedia section.
Any errors during startup can be seen by running it through the console instead.
# openshot
or
# /usr/share/openshot/openshot.py

Screenshot below.

Cheers.
Attachments
openshot on lupu499.jpg
(67.06 KiB) Downloaded 393 times

playdayz

#988 Post by playdayz »

Didn't realize there was now a RC 3 until I'd already downloaded and reinstalled. Smile
Yes, I am sorry there James C. There was nothing bad. I saw a typo and thought it was worth the trouble to fix it. That I thought I had time to do that tells me things are actually pretty leisurely. Thanks.

Jim1911

#989 Post by Jim1911 »

Just did a quick RC3 check on a new install with only addition being Firefox as default browser. Initial setup was flawless and everything seems solid. Also used my RC2 save file which had my usual complement of 16 programs, all of which appear to be working fine.

No showstoppers as long as you have the Lucid name issue that nooby raised covered.

Congratulations for a job well done,
Jim :D

PS: I've started on update suggestions for 5.1. :lol:

01micko

#990 Post by 01micko »

When this gets announced on distrowatch I think there is going to be server overload!

Kudos to everyone who has posted in this thread no matter how small... it's the small things we usually can't find :wink:

Cheers

"I'm excited!!" ... the late Big Kev
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 15 May 2010, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#991 Post by playdayz »

Openshot 1.0.0 now works in lucid puppy!
Congrats smil99 and thanks. Out of curiosity, how would you say that it compares to the Cinelerra that is in Quickpet?

smil99

#992 Post by smil99 »

Hi playdayz,
Thanks for the interest. Actually Cinelerra is great but the learning curve is steep thus not easy to grasp by the average user. On the other, although quite a young program in the video editing area of linux, openshot is easy to use, at least by me :lol:, and it looks promising as the developer keeps updating it frequently.

Cheers.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#993 Post by Lobster »

If anyone hosts - let us know

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DownloadLatest

Bit torrents will be needed

All about Puppy 5
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LucidPuppy

New kennel members will be arriving soon
Be kind to the strays

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

glenco

#994 Post by glenco »

BarryK wrote:
glenco wrote:Hi
Has Puppy 5 quit supporting win-modems?
My pci lucent/agere winmodem is not found in Lucid 5 and after having a look in /dev I can't find any of the old win-modems that have worked in puppy since puppy 2.17 or something like that.
Lupu and Quirky are using the 2.6.33.2 kernel, and so far I haven't been able to compile many of the old modem drivers.

Perhaps the source code of some of them will get patched so they compile, but not many knowledgeable people are interested in doing that these days.

So, for many old win modems, you need a puppy built with one of our older kernels, such as the 2.6.30.5 kernel used in the standard Puppy 4.3.1.

I don't know if Lupu would work if built with the 2.6.30.5 kernel, due to its use of Ubuntu packages. If you really need to use a win modem, try either Puppy 4.3.1 or my Quirky-Retro 1.1rc. Note to others reading this, the 2.6.33.2 kernel does support some win modems, just not as many as the older kernel.
Hi Barry
I did manage to find a *.deb package with source, for the updated martian/agere modem drivers for lucid but the install flopped. :(
Maybe somebody with a little more knowledge and an LT modem will have better luck with this one.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/i386 ... 20080625-1

Fishy

Low Volume Output

#995 Post by Fishy »

Love Lucid, :D but and it is only a little but - low sound output on my machine. Max volume is very low when set to highest position. Zmixer doesn't help.

Asus M4A78T-E motherboard, no add on sound card.

01micko

#996 Post by 01micko »

Fishy

Right click the little speaker icon in the tray, choose "full window".. you will see options, try them, your problem will be solved :wink:

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#997 Post by James C »

Downloaded and did another fresh frugal install of Release Candidate 3........no problems. :)

WhoDo

#998 Post by WhoDo »

First attempt at Lucid. It doesn't do the one thing I need an Ubuntu-compatible Puppy to do ... install and play Gnome games! :(

I download the gnome-game basics plus AisleRiot Solitaire and Mahjongg from the package manager and I get heaps of missing dependencies. Problem is there isn't any place to get them from the package manager listing? All libs. Things like libcanberra-something or other???

Sorry for the negative response, but it seems to me that an Ubuntu-compatible version should run Gnome applications, shouldn't it? Otherwise what's the point of having access to the repository?

Ok, ok. I'll wait for the release and hope it's all right on the night... :wink:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

tronkel

#999 Post by tronkel »

@Warren

Did you remember to update the Ubuntu Lucid package listings from within Puppy Package Manager? This will ensure that necessary dependencies are made available. You even have to do this on a fresh install of real Ubuntu.

The business of installing Gnome applications (or KDE applications for that matter), even in a version of Puppy made up from Ubuntu has not been fully solved - to date at least. The native Puppy Package Manager seems unable to fully cope with accurately installing Gnome and KDE dependencies thus far. This will not get properly resolved until such time as apt-get and Synaptic have been completely integrated into Puppy. I made a start on this at one point and only got as far as a flakey and unstable install of Synaptic/apt-get. Some time afterwards Gposil I think it was, of Dpup fame, also had a try at this but seemed to have stalled at much the place that I got to. The problem is one of configuring apt-get correctly. The resolution of this problem will be to purloin the apt-get configuration script from the Debian Lenny install ISO and adapt it for use with Puppy. The Synaptic GUI itself also has dependency issues.

Until such time as this nirvana arrives, it's still a good idea to have even limited Ubuntu compatibility IMHO - e.g. I have just installed the Ubuntu Lucid GNUPG package directly from Lupu's Puppy Package Manager with no problems - dependencies or otherwise. This saved me from having to google around for a suitable pet package. Loads of other Ubuntu stuff installs perfectly as well.

I doubt if this will get fully sorted out in the immediate future though, but when it finally arrives, as I've no doubt it will, it will be a major achievement in itself and will propel Puppy right up there to the level that the big dogs of Linux currently occupy. Shouldn't be all that difficult to do. Both Knoppix and DSL managed it some time ago.

Gposil's DPUP project is on hold for the moment. This is one thumping good Puppy derivative as well and will be well worth the wait. We'll just have to be patient for a bit longer.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

01micko

#1000 Post by 01micko »

Well we're official

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01595

Grab it before it hits Distrowatch.

Fasf Australian mirror, thanks to Aarnet http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/puppyli ... pu-500.iso

Cheers
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 15 May 2010, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.