#961 Post by cthisbear »

Will this work?

ttuuxxx
" I updated micko's pupRadio for 2.14x "

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=24800

Chris

nooby

#962 Post by nooby »

gerry wrote:Before you launch "Lucid Puppy" make sure Canonical haven't got "Lucid" as part of the name of a linux distro copyrighted/ trademarked.

EDIT: They clobbered the people that produced Fluxbuntu.

gerry
Very important recommendation this one.

They love to clamp down on such "brand name" things to keep a high profile of protection of names.

Super OS got in trouble also.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

abushcrafter

Bug

#963 Post by abushcrafter »

Gxine fails to play Theora video :(.

01micko

#964 Post by 01micko »

devx is broken!!!

Where did gcc go?

Can use 499 version renamed to 500
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pa_mcclamrock

#965 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Comments on Lucid Puppy 5.00 rc:

OK, now I see why Quickpet's "More Programs" menu won't work without a default browser; it's because the menu items will direct you to threads in the Puppy Forum, which you need a browser to view. But at least there should be a little dialog box or something, telling the user that a browser is needed before the "More Programs" menu will work. Yes? Quick last-minute fix? Please?

Everything else I tested works, as expected--with one glaring exception, also expected. Look at the attached screenshots. In the one from TextMaker 2002 (http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/textmaker-2002_full.pet), not included with Lucid Puppy 5.00, the text is formatted correctly. AbiWord, on the other hand--as expected--is still crappy after all these years. Using the Cloister Black-Light font (see http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/pa_penguin ... onts-2.pet), I couldn't get the word "still" to stick together, or the letter "t" to show up in it, no matter how hard I tried.

I know this is too late for 5.00, but here's a strong recommendation for 5.0.1: please offer users a choice of word processors from the get-go, as they now have a choice of browsers. Let those who actually like AbiWord (for reasons unknown to me) use it--and let those who don't, never have to see it again.
Attachments
textmaker.gif
(25.08 KiB) Downloaded 1612 times
abiword.gif
(31.48 KiB) Downloaded 1617 times
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

01micko

#966 Post by 01micko »

Good idea Pa, A word processor gui like browser installer. Or a page in Quickpet.

I added a note in the "Readme" menu that you need a browser. That's the best I can do just for now and it's up to playdayz if he wants to include it.

Cheers

darwinev0lved

two quick comments

#967 Post by darwinev0lved »

Hi, I've been testing the RC on two computers, an ASUS 701 and my trusty Samsung X05.
On the ASUS I noticed one bit of annoying behaviour: the battery icon was blinking, warning me I was almost out of juice. This is fine. But it would be really nice if it stopped blinking when I plugged in the power.

One other thing: because the Java pet installs to /mnt/home (which is probably a good idea) if you haven't already created a savefile, you have to reinstall it again on second boot - would a warning message, i.e. "don't install this until you've created your savefile" be a worthwhile idea?

One separate issue. I've been trying to keep my firefox profile out of the puppy savefile too; i.e. I've tried sticking it in /mnt/home/randomstring

This seems to work for a bit and then stops working - I suspect it's a problem with one of my add ons (which tries to access a different folder, also on /mnt/home or at least that seems to be when it stops working), but has anybody else tried doing this successfully?

Thanks, Jon.

reckrhodes

#968 Post by reckrhodes »

Play icon will not work. It will open or display but closes in an instant.

Good luck to everyone.

glenco

#969 Post by glenco »

Hi
Has Puppy 5 quit supporting win-modems?
My pci lucent/agere winmodem is not found in Lucid 5 and after having a look in /dev I can't find any of the old win-modems that have worked in puppy since puppy 2.17 or something like that.
Otherwise everything is working great on this old:
Hitachi deskview
PIII 800Mhz
512 Mb
SIS630 chipset with everything build in. Video,sound,etc.
The Lucent winmoden is installed in the only PCI slot.

Billtoo

Lucid Puppy 5.00 Release Candidate - 13 May 2010

#970 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install of lupu 5.00 and it's working well. I updated the repositories in the puppy package manager and have installed several apps from the ubuntu repositories, gnome-terminal,vlc,tunapie,gnome-games,and pokerth.
I haven't been successful with some others.

It's running great on this p4.
Thanks,
Bill

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: two quick comments

#971 Post by BarryK »

darwinev0lved wrote: On the ASUS I noticed one bit of annoying behaviour: the battery icon was blinking, warning me I was almost out of juice. This is fine. But it would be really nice if it stopped blinking when I plugged in the power.
Ha ha, I never thought of that! I don't know if Lupu is using my powerapplet_tray, if so, I'll fix that problem, but not immediately. I have made a note of it, will have to target the fix for the next release of Lupu. I'm not running Lupu right now, so can't check, perhaps it is using Jemimah's battery applet. Anyway, I know mine has the annoyance you have reported.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#972 Post by BarryK »

glenco wrote:Hi
Has Puppy 5 quit supporting win-modems?
My pci lucent/agere winmodem is not found in Lucid 5 and after having a look in /dev I can't find any of the old win-modems that have worked in puppy since puppy 2.17 or something like that.
Lupu and Quirky are using the 2.6.33.2 kernel, and so far I haven't been able to compile many of the old modem drivers.

Perhaps the source code of some of them will get patched so they compile, but not many knowledgeable people are interested in doing that these days.

So, for many old win modems, you need a puppy built with one of our older kernels, such as the 2.6.30.5 kernel used in the standard Puppy 4.3.1.

I don't know if Lupu would work if built with the 2.6.30.5 kernel, due to its use of Ubuntu packages. If you really need to use a win modem, try either Puppy 4.3.1 or my Quirky-Retro 1.1rc. Note to others reading this, the 2.6.33.2 kernel does support some win modems, just not as many as the older kernel.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

playdayz

#973 Post by playdayz »

Barry, do you have any thoughts on the copyright issue mentioned higher on this page?

playdayz

#974 Post by playdayz »

devx is broken!!!

Where did gcc go?

It is in the devx_500 sfs Mick. i will keep checking. Thanks.

It is there in /usr/bin. Is it possible you forgot to enable it? Naw, that couldn't happen....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ubuntu Lucid possible copyright/trademark problems. Yes, thank you very much for raising the point. Better safe than sued. My wife has someone who is checking on this for us. Barry has formulated some alternate wording and I might change the background so that it does not have "lucid" on it. Thanks gerry and 8-bit.

gerry

#975 Post by gerry »

Just tried the release candidate, having tried several earlier versions.

Running live usb on Acer Aspire One. Two problems that I found earlier are still there: sda1 icon lies on top of Quickpuppy icon. Could be due to the low vertical resolution of the small wide screen? And using Seamonkey, the screen breaks up into horizontal streaks when I scroll down. Not tried Firefox on this one, but it behaved the same on previous Lupus. Same happened on dpup. Last time, Opera was ok, I'll try that later.

Other than that- IMPRESSIVE!! Especially getting on line wirelessly.

Seamonkey is ok in Quirky on this machine.

gerry

8-bit

#976 Post by 8-bit »

I just tried booting lupu-500 from cd in a Toshiba laptop with 1.8ghz intel processor, and 512 megs ram and intel video.
Lupu crashed at a black desktop and I then had to boot with pfix=nox and use vesa from the xorgwizard to get to a usable desktop.
So even though lupu-500 thought it had found my video card, and used a driver with its automatic setup, it had not.
It also bombed on using probe and ended up with a black screen.
TEST after probe also locked up the laptop but displayed a screen that was out of sync with no chance to correct it.
I did not try the Choose option in xorgwizard though.

The Toshiba laptop is about 10 years old.

01micko

#977 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:
devx is broken!!!

Where did gcc go?

It is in the devx_500 sfs Mick. i will keep checking. Thanks.

It is there in /usr/bin. Is it possible you forgot to enable it? Naw, that couldn't happen....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ubuntu Lucid possible copyright/trademark problems. Yes, thank you very much for raising the point. Better safe than sued. My wife has someone who is checking on this for us. Barry has formulated some alternate wording and I might change the background so that it does not have "lucid" on it. Thanks gerry and 8-bit.
Ah, bad checksum :oops: , redownloading...

Only the second time ever that wget has failed me, still, not bad in literally thousands of downloads. Wget is so reliable that I tend to skip the checksum at times. Oh well! (AH yes, but doesn't Quickpet use wget? Yes indeed, and for those who don't know there is an integrity check in Quickpet :wink: )

Cheers

01micko

#978 Post by 01micko »

Chris (cthisbear)

There is a reason for not including direct download links in the "More Programs" menu in quickpet.

Many of these apps are home grown and script based. They are constantly maintained and being updated. In fact I am due to update pupRadio shortly and I know zigbert has DuDE-0.3 in the works. lstandish is always improving Snap-2. I was actually against including Pwidgets in the main gui for that reason, but I got out voted! (2 to 1 :wink: )

Cheers

tubeguy

"Puppy 5.0" wallpaper

#979 Post by tubeguy »

Attachments
puppy501024x765redoscaled.jpg
(24.41 KiB) Downloaded 1192 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

gerry

#980 Post by gerry »

Yes, I was right, (see my previous post about Seamonkey breaking up when scrolled). Opera works ok. So there's something odd about the Acer Aspire One and the Mozilla browsers in a Debian/ Ubuntu based Puppy. Ah well, can't be perfect all the time.

gerry