Pup.ca

News, happenings
Bligh

#81 Post by Bligh »

Sorry to hear that Eric, please keep us posted.
Cheers

russoodle

#82 Post by russoodle »

So sorry they're doing this to you, Eric...a low act :x
I was hoping it wouldn't come down to this..

I'm making changes to my site's layout at the moment (to be better-organised and make better use of the space), so those left out in the cold because of the hosting shenanigans at .ca are welcome to contact me if you think i can help.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

RetroTechGuy

#83 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Caneri wrote:Hi All,

Well here we go again.

I have missing iso files again after they were replaced. I have also taken steps to make sure it's not a hacker,break in etc....so it's my host for certain.

I haven't looked at what else has been deleted but my host is handing me my hat and showing me the door.

I suggest, that the remaining ftp users contact russoodle or smokey01 aka Grant for future hosting as this situation I find myself in is intolerable.

Sorry All...I'm out of options.

Best,
Eric
On a related note, I was poking in Ttuuxxx's collection, and noticed that hi V3.iso (under 4.3) is VERY SMALL. Clearly not a full Puppy .iso

efiguy

Pup.ca

#84 Post by efiguy »

Hi Group.

- There have been some good suggestions on how to sort, and otherwise handle files, but sadly, there does'nt seem to be a reliable place for the files just yet.

- Would like to point out my offer on page 3 is still open and - In talking with Comcast cable (major cable company within Indianapolis) business section, there connections start at 72 dollars and range to 200 dollars per month - there didn't seem to be any data limits, but I could only speak to the represenative in vague generalities.

- This suggests a budget cost estimate - with say a 125 - 150 dollar connection and general maintenance + power - might run about 2000 to 3000 a year. Haven't a clue as to what Eric has paid prevously for Puppy Internet access. (Makes me realize what a wonderful thing this forum is and the wiki !!)

- HP seems to have multiple downloads for the Compaq server, would there be an experienced Unix Guru for guidance on the Puppy forum. Please send PM suggestion to efiguy, as they may not be aware of this thread and i will attempt contact.

Thanks,
Jay

smokey01

#85 Post by smokey01 »

I have space available also if anyone needs it. Happy to provide FTP accounts to contributors.

I can even give you an email address if you like.

I have the directories password protected just for a little added security. U=puppy P=linux

http://www.smokey01.com

Smokey

yorkiesnorkie

#86 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Caneri wrote:I have been watching the account over this last while and have come to the conclusion that the server is no longer secure or valid.

My robots.txt and htaccess have been altered by unknown persons and with the missing iso files I conclude my host is hastening my departure....or at least someone is messing around inside and this is unacceptable. I also seem to have a logging problem....hmm

I have taken steps to stop this but if it's the host then there's nothing to do but move...and fast.

I no longer consider the files to be intact and advise y'all to check every file that is downloaded.

Eric
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm currently having trouble with the 2.14xrc5 iso I downloaded a day or so ago. Based on that experience and what you are saying here there is an issue with file integrity.

So, I take what you are saying as the puppylinux.ca server is compromised and no longer secure or reliable for any download? We should avoid it then?

y.
[url]http://www.busygamemaster.com[/url]

Caneri

#87 Post by Caneri »

Hi yorkiesnorkie,

I'm not sure what to tell you but pls contact ttuuxxx about this.

Each ftp account/dev is responsible for their own files as they have the original md5sum etc.

Mostly it is large files that are the problem such as iso.

I've seen reports of files that seem too small, so in my mind the files are no longer valid. Many files are gone and I don't carry backups for the entire server as there were 26000-28000 files at one time.

If this continues it may be best to..
1: have every file checked by the owner of said file
2: stop all http access until a solution can be found (bad idea but may be needed).

The bandwidth has dropped dramatically (1/3 from the
peak) but I still see "concurrent d/l limit reached". Very odd.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Caneri

#88 Post by Caneri »

Ok...to be clear.

The files that are on .ca/asia are not corrupt nor do they contain a virus.

I still have files that were deleted and I do not have the back-up to replace them...sorry.

Now, this begs the question as to how I would know, but the virus issue is not a problem...trust me on this one.

I seem to have stopped the bots for this month as follows.

twiceler 0+432 11.81 KB 15 May 2010 - 16:59
MSNBot 0+172 4.70 KB 15 May 2010 - 16:30
Unknown robot (identified by 'crawl') 0+139 3.80 KB 15 May 2010 - 15:33
Unknown robot (identified by 'bot*') 0+78 2.13 KB 15 May 2010 - 09:17
Yandex bot 39+35 506.17 KB 15 May 2010 - 13:00
Yahoo Slurp 0+64 1.75 KB 15 May 2010 - 13:35
Exabot 38+11 98.35 KB 15 May 2010 - 08:49
Googlebot 0+23 644 Bytes 15 May 2010 - 00:30
BaiDuSpider 0+20 560 Bytes 15 May 2010 - 05:38
BSpider 0+18 504 Bytes 15 May 2010 - 01:40

Hey..it's something..Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

James C

#89 Post by James C »

Thanks for keeping us updated...... :)

Caneri

#90 Post by Caneri »

It appears that on May 22 I lost a large amount of iso files that were deleted by my host.

It also appears that I am now limited to a file size of 256Kb as per the TOS statement.

I still have no solution or alternate host.

@CatDude...I see you were trying to replace some iso but alas they are gone again. Thanks for the help. Maybe smokey or russoodle can find a spot for them.

@ttuuxxx...many of your files are gone from my server and I would ask anyone that can, please take over for ttuuxxx's files. They are around 3gb of disk space (maybe a tad less).

The small files will be ok it seems so I guess we just let it run to December as is.

Sorry All,
Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

smokey01

#91 Post by smokey01 »

Eric,

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with you host again.

According to my host I have unlimited space and bandwidth, I guess we will have to wait and see if this is really true. At the moment I have found the host to be very very good.

I think 01micko and coolpup would probably agree but you would need to ask them.

Happy to provide space to any developer that needs it.

Grant

Caneri

#92 Post by Caneri »

This needs a home
http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy/pup ... 4312v3.iso
as does this
http://puppylinux.ca/members/choicepup/
and needs to stay active as jrb has some interesting ideas.

TY jrb for your good work and kind comments...alas
TY...Sully

I apologize if I'm distracted but real life has come home to roost as I have a family member in Afghanistan.
http://www.redfridays.ca/
http://www.redfridays.ca/yellowribbon.htm
Eric
Attachments
new-yellow-magnet.jpg
(33.91 KiB) Downloaded 855 times
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Q5sys

#93 Post by Q5sys »

Caneri wrote:I apologize if I'm distracted but real life has come home to roost as I have a family member in Afghanistan.
http://www.redfridays.ca/
http://www.redfridays.ca/yellowribbon.htm
Eric
No need to apologize. Family should come first!
Smokey01 has hooked me up with space for my upcoming release. It's much appreciated. As for 'unlimited' plans... I had one in the past. Basically its unlimited bandwitdh until it starts to conflict with other users at the DataCenter. Same with storage. As long as there is free space on the blade or rack that you're on there is no problem. But dont expect them to add drives to it, or allow you to use 90% of the space while the other customers get only a sliver.

russoodle

#94 Post by russoodle »

Hi Eric..

My best wishes for the safe return of your family member from Afghanistan, this must be quite distressing for all of you.

With regard to the puppy files, between us, we can try to pick up the slack.

The complete puppylinux.ca/members/ directory, as it stands right now, will shortly be mirrored on my server (well, within a few hours) - if there are files missing, then they weren't there to retrieve. I'll post the link when it's done. User: puppy and Password: linux will apply.

Q5sys: i understand perfectly what you're saying as that was my experience of an "unlimited" account...everything was fine for a few months, then i received notification that i should remove the Puppy ISOs as they were hogging space/bandwidth/most resources on the shared server, which doesn't go down well (and that's fair enough) :roll: .
Since removal of the Puppy stuff was not an option, the only solution was the purchase of a VPS, which of course also has its limits, however it's working well thus far. Makes me appreciate just how much Eric has contributed to this community..

Edit: Rats, seems to have been a hiccup with wget, so this is going to take longer than anticipated, sorry :(
Last edited by russoodle on Mon 24 May 2010, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Caneri

#95 Post by Caneri »

Hey Suz,

Get in touch with efiguy an Prit (I wish tombh was still around as he is a good one to work with).

They will teach you many things and it's loads of fun to do servers with them.
Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

russoodle

#96 Post by russoodle »

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll definitely do that..
(gee whiz, this is one rather large directory, isn't it? :shock: )

Cheers :D

scsijon

Eric's sfs directory

#97 Post by scsijon »

Hi, are we poor plebs allowed to use what is in the choicepup's directories?;
what is the status of the flashplayer pet?;
and is what is in the sfs directory status workable or just wip (work-in-progress)

please

thanks
scsijon

russoodle

ChoicePup

#98 Post by russoodle »

Apologies people, wget made a big mess when it had its conniption so i'm manually sorting individual directories, but anything retrieved in the ChoicePup directory from .ca can also be found here now:

http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/choicepup/

The Broadcom-specific iso from wisdom-seekers can be found in here as well:
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... 4312v3.iso

User: puppy
Pass: linux

The .sfs and .pet files in their respective directories seem to be intact and flashplayer10_070208.pet is also there.

@scsijon: I don't know who these "poor plebs" are that you refer to, but why wouldn't anyone be "allowed" to use these files? I thought that's what they were there for...have a look and decide for yourself..

scsijon

#99 Post by scsijon »

for russoodle

I just wasn't sure if they were "finished product" or the directory was used for either transfering "work-in-process" between developers or an off-site backup.

thanks for clearing that up

scsijon