Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jamesbond

#1901 Post by jamesbond »

jemimah wrote:Please test this firefox sfs. I added TinyMenu, Fission, and made some adjustments to the interface and fonts.

Firefox still has problems upscaling images (at least on intel hardware), does any one know of a fix? There was a PPA for a fixed Cairo for Ubuntu, but does anyone know more about the issue? It doesn't seem to affect Chrome.

http://puppeee.com/files/sfs/firefox-36.sfs
Thank you for this! So far it runs well and stable.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jtouso

#1902 Post by jtouso »

Because the risk to damage the base installation if you use the bat file in Puppeee rc, in the wrong manner (before copyng the files to usb target or pen) I am using unetbootin after decompress the original file.
It runs fast and elegant!
I am adding wbar (I like it!)
All working in my asus eeepc 901 ralink wireless rt2860sta.
Congratulations

aarf

#1903 Post by aarf »

aarf wrote:just deleted a wrong file because of the highlight bug that has been fixed in dpup and lupu and quirky.
hghlite bug and fix at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy//viewt ... 305#390305

jemimah

#1904 Post by jemimah »

Nope, the problem still persists in double click mode. Switching back to single click mode should give you the behavior you want.

lemmy999

#1905 Post by lemmy999 »

OK, all working well now. Gmail/SSL issue resolved, now got sound working and the strange re-direct to the log-in page thingy has gone.

Good work!!!

aarf

#1906 Post by aarf »

jemimah wrote:Nope, the problem still persists in double click mode. Switching back to single click mode should give you the behavior you want.
just normal one click puppy standard is fine for me. there is vast amounts of configuration possibilities in menu>desktop>icewm preference so if you now and can tell please do.

jemimah

#1907 Post by jemimah »

It's not an IceWM thing, it's in the ROX options. Right click any desktop icon, Goto Rox-Filer->Options. Then goto Filer Windows, and check Single-click Navigation.

prehistoric

last beta on Asus eee PC 1001P

#1908 Post by prehistoric »

Jemimah,

I had another opportunity to test briefly on that machine mentioned before. Still insists on 800x600. It doesn't seem that a mode line fix will work.

I'm afraid this relates to continuing problems with recent kernels and Intel drivers which Barry has also experienced with Quirky. If I had such a machine myself, I'd get you better diagnostic results. (Hmm. How would this affect my budget?)

I will continue to observe and test, as opportunity presents. I'm already behind the curve on RC1.

jemimah

#1909 Post by jemimah »

Do you know what the native resolution is? Is it 1024x600 or something higher like 1366x768?

aarf

#1910 Post by aarf »

jemimah wrote:It's not an IceWM thing, it's in the ROX options. Right click any desktop icon, Goto Rox-Filer->Options. Then goto Filer Windows, and check Single-click Navigation.
got it, thanks thats better

prehistoric

1001P how many cores?

#1911 Post by prehistoric »

Jemimah,

Here's something very weird about Puppeee on that Asus eee PC 1001P with an Atom N450 processor. It is a single core chip, (the dual-core versions start with the 510) but the dmesg I read definitely talked about starting processors 0 and 1. I know I am confused, but I think there is confused software as well.

cinclus_cinclus

Remastering with 2.6.33-sched-bfs-316-patched kernel

#1912 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

@jemimah,

thank you for rc1.

I rebuilt the kernel with 2.6.33-sched-bfs-316.patch and configured it for additional kernel-modules.

Some problems until I noticed that

1. eee_devx_460.sfs lacks Pud-lzo.pet
2. before installation of the modules (make modules_install) I had to remove ze460332.sfs.

Remastering then was easy:

1) only a new eee-460.sfs had to be created. The devx-tools and the drivers of ze460332.sfs were already included, and
2) replaced the old kernel with the new one
3) left initrd.gz unchanged

MU

#1913 Post by MU »

I installled e16:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/EnlightenmentWM
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=6420

To install the pups, I first installed the dotpuphandler with petget.

Just libesd was required in addition, and

Code: Select all

cd /usr/sbin
ln -s gtkdialog3 gtkdialog
Also Puppybasic is needed for my setup tools (like the ibareditor), I had installed it already, as it is part of Muppy-Filer mentioned earlieron.

To activate e16:
exit X, and type:

echo starte16 > /etc/wm
xwin
To activate icewm again, you would type:

echo icewm-session > /etc/wm
xwin

E16 runs lovely on the 1005HA-M, just some glitches can be seen.
For example the import of the Puppymenu does not work, as it used the JWM menu for import. I must rewrite this to import the Icewm-menu instead.
Update:
To get the Puppy-menu, extract the attached archive to /etc/xdg/templates.
Then type in a console "fixmenus".
Then click on the desktop to get the old menu, and choose "Puppy - e16 - reload Puppy-menu".
This takes some seconds.

Also the epplets like the clock do not run. - Update: they run, if you install imlib 1.9 from the Puppy3 repository in petget (it seems you can ignore the dependency-warning that pops up).

Maybe I can correct it this weekend, then I would upload a repackaged version for the eeepc :)

Update: to use the trayicons, I installed:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Desktop-Tools ... yicons.pup

Then added it to the startup:

cd /root/Startup
ln -s /usr/local/xystray-icons/run-xystray run-xystray
To place the tray at the bottom center, modify these lines in:
/usr/local/xystray-icons/run-xystray run-xystray

PositionY = screenheight() - 22
PositionX = screenwidth()/2 - (NumberOfIcons*22)/2
Background = "gray90"
To activate the borders for it, delete the line:

xwin_notitlenoborder("0x" & theID)
Now you can choose a borderstyle with "ALT-rightclick".

To make the menus transparent just right click on the desktop...Desktop Background Settings.. and down at the bottom is the theme transparency settings. I have mine a 152.

To get the slowly moving waves at bottom, activate "ripples" in "Right-click Desktop - Special FX Settings" :)

Mark
Attachments
_root_.jwmrc.tar.gz
extract to /etc/xdg/templates/, and type "fixmenus", this is required for the Puppy-menu.
(1.68 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
e16-1.jpg
full size screenshot
(121.17 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
e16-1-mini.jpg
(35.13 KiB) Downloaded 1119 times
Last edited by MU on Fri 14 May 2010, 03:10, edited 9 times in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

jemimah

Re: 1001P how many cores?

#1914 Post by jemimah »

prehistoric wrote:Jemimah,

Here's something very weird about Puppeee on that Asus eee PC 1001P with an Atom N450 processor. It is a single core chip, (the dual-core versions start with the 510) but the dmesg I read definitely talked about starting processors 0 and 1. I know I am confused, but I think there is confused software as well.
All Atom processors have this - it's called hyperthreading. That's why the kernel needs SMP support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

jemimah

#1915 Post by jemimah »

MU wrote: To activate icewm again, you would type:

echo icewm-session > /etc/wm
echo icewm-session > /etc/windowmanager
xwin
You should just change /etc/wm. That way Xorg will shut down correctly after changing the window manager. This also allows for some scripts to run to make setting changes depending on the window manager. It would be easy enough to package it with a new version of the change-wm tool and add e16 to the list.

jemimah

Re: Remastering with 2.6.33-sched-bfs-316-patched kernel

#1916 Post by jemimah »

cinclus_cinclus wrote:@jemimah,

thank you for rc1.

I rebuilt the kernel with 2.6.33-sched-bfs-316.patch and configured it for additional kernel-modules.

Some problems until I noticed that

1. eee_devx_460.sfs lacks Pud-lzo.pet
2. before installation of the modules (make modules_install) I had to remove ze460332.sfs.

Remastering then was easy:

1) only a new eee-460.sfs had to be created. The devx-tools and the drivers of ze460332.sfs were already included, and
2) replaced the old kernel with the new one
3) left initrd.gz unchanged
Yes, I do my kernel compiling on Ubuntu, so I guess I do need to add lzo to the devx. :oops:

Would you have any interest in joining the Fluppy development team and helping me compile drivers and patch the kernel to support more netbooks? I'm afraid it's going to be too big of a job for just me all by myself.

2lss

#1917 Post by 2lss »

jemimah,

I am experiencing the issue with puppy not going to sleep when the lid is closed, giving the "External Display Connected: Lid Suspend Disabled" message. After checking, I noticed that xrandr did not print anything about VGA disconnected so grep returned a 1 not a 0. I thought I could modify the script to look for something like 'VGA Connected" so I dug out a monitor and hooked it up (had to reboot puppy to get monitor to work, fn + f5 returned "VGA not connected." Not sure if that is normal) I ran xrandr again after reboot but surprisingly there is no mention of the second monitor.

# xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1024 x 600, maximum 1024 x 600 
default connected 1024x600+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
   1024x600        0.0* 
   800x600         0.0  
   640x480         0.0  
Since I never use the external monitor I just changed the script to always suspend. I don't know any other ways to detect the external monitor.

I'm using Xvesa for the first time, so I'm not sure if that could be the culprit.

p.s. I'm loving the openbox/rox panel combo :D

MU

#1918 Post by MU »

(had to reboot puppy to get monitor to work, fn + f5 returned "VGA not connected." Not sure if that is normal)
I also had to reboot to get the second monitor (a beamer) to work.
It worked immedeatly, but with a wrong resolution (using Xorg).
After a reboot, xorgwizard detected the beamer and offered the correct resolutions for it.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

jemimah

#1919 Post by jemimah »

2lss wrote: I'm using Xvesa for the first time, so I'm not sure if that could be the culprit.
That's almost certainly the problem. I should have thought of that. Thanks!

It is normal to have to reboot and rerun the xorgwizard to get an external monitor to work. I think all Puppies have that issue.

rameshiyer

Installation in Desktop PC

#1920 Post by rameshiyer »

Madam

Is it possible to install Puppeee 4.3 in Desktop PC having IntelQ6600 CPU (quad core), Q35 Intel chipset Motherboard.