DuDE-0.4.1

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Jim1911

#81 Post by Jim1911 »

zigbert wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Consider adding to ptray functions:
1. Ability in Edit tray to move program buttons up and down in the list.
Have you tried to drag items up/down the list? :wink: Maybe a tooltip would be good. No, however it does work, a tooltip would have alerted me.
Jim1911 wrote:2. Ability to switch the Program button to a different directory
The apps in /usr/share/applications has their icon listed in /root/.stardust/tmp/iconlist. How do you want to fetch the correct icon for a app outside /usr/share/applications? There have been some applications that are listed in /usr/share/applications that do not show up. For example, the applications that I was trying to add were in /usr/share/applications folder esword.desktop and an amarok.desktop that do not show up. Of course, esword runs under wine and the amarok.desktop file is located in the /usr/share/applications/kde folder. Does /root/.stardust/tmp/iconlist get updated at each run of fixmenus?
Jim1911 wrote:Consider in Puppy Control Center:

1. Under Install, Remaster button -- call an updated remaster program that has the capability of pointing to a directory for needed files in addition to a CD or a previously mounted iso.
Does there exist a better remaster-script than the one included, or do you mean that we should have made a new one? I believe that the one in the Japanese version of 431 is the only one available that fetches from a directory, a mounted iso and a CD. Dougal's script works, but needs update because the resulting iso has to have some minor edits for it to work with the latest derivatives because of some syntax changes. The current script in lupu will fetch needed files from a mounted iso, but not a directory.
Jim1911 wrote:2. Under Desktop, Themes button -- add some more theme choices
What choices are you thinking of? Some variations of the blue theme.
Jim1911 wrote:3. Under Mouse/Keyboard, settings button -- add the capability to turn numlock key on/off when computer boots.
Yes, let's do it.......There is a program floating around here somewhere for turning it on/off......was it xnumlock?????? I don't want to include the program itself, but I will make a on/off button in pcc if it exist. Can anyone point me to it? Attached is a pet that provides the necessary file info, I don't recall the author.
Jim1911 wrote:Question? What file should be edited to change the text in the favorites menu? What prompts the question is that some programs show up with the right icon but wrong program description ie. sol (Aisleriot Solitaire) shows up as "X-console - monitor console". This has occurred on all lupu versions tested, however it does show up correctly sometimes and appears to be related to whether gnome-games or DuDE is installed first.
You can't edit anything, since it is generated by /usr/sbin/fixmenus_favorites everytime jwm is started. We should instead look at why this happens with some apps. Please point me to the actual apps. I am running Puppy 4.3.1 at the moment.
Under lupu (all distributions) I have installed gnome-games-lite using ppm puppy5 repository. sol is the one that I’ve noticed. For example in lupu-117, it’s showing up as “e3 - console editor
Attachments
numlockx-1.1.pet
(9.13 KiB) Downloaded 430 times

zigbert

#82 Post by zigbert »

Hi Jim

Thank you for numlockx. This should be straightforward to include into DuDE, but I will need your help because I only have a laptop available. How do you activate numlockx. Do you include it into
- /root/.xinitrc as suggested in the helpfile
- Make a startup script in /root/Startup which would be much easier (safer) for DuDE.
- Just execute 'numlockx on' in terminal without having to restart X.

Tooltip in Ptray is added

Fixmenus now also looks in subdirectories, so amarok should be detected in DuDE 0.3. You don't tell the exact problem with esword, so if you could post the .desktop file, maybe I can understand it.....

/root/.stardust/tmp/iconlist is updated when fixmenus finds a new installed app.

A improved remaster-script is beyond the scope of DuDE, which is supposed to be a desktop tool.

I would be very glad if anyone provided some new global themes for DuDE. Because of space-limits (DuDE should be small), I can't include too many, but I will replace the existing if any wonder-themes shows up. Yes, I do agree that the blue theme is not the best....... For themes not in the DuDE-package, I could make a link in the main post.

Thank you!!!
Sigmund

Jim1911

#83 Post by Jim1911 »

zigbert wrote:Hi Jim Thank you for numlockx. This should be straightforward to include into DuDE, but I will need your help because I only have a laptop available. How do you activate numlockx. Do you include it into
- /root/.xinitrc as suggested in the helpfile Correct, this numlockx.pet with the manual edit of .xinitrc has worked in every 4 series and later pup that I've tried, including Wary and Quirky and I've tested most of them.
- Make a startup script in /root/Startup which would be much easier (safer) for DuDE. Will this allow an on/off selection? Laptop users such as yourself probably prefer it off (depending on your keyboard), most desktop users would probably prefer it on.
- Just execute 'numlockx on' in terminal without having to restart X. Should be OK, if this is a one time operation.
Tooltip in Ptray is added
Fixmenus now also looks in subdirectories, so amarok should be detected in DuDE 0.3. You don't tell the exact problem with esword, so if you could post the .desktop file, maybe I can understand it.....

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Name=e-Sword
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/root/.wine" wine "C:\\Program Files\\e-Sword\\e-Sword.exe" 
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Path=/root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/e-Sword/
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/esword.png
Categories=WordProcessor
/root/.stardust/tmp/iconlist is updated when fixmenus finds a new installed app.
A improved remaster-script is beyond the scope of DuDE, which is supposed to be a desktop tool.
I would be very glad if anyone provided some new global themes for DuDE. Because of space-limits (DuDE should be small), I can't include too many, but I will replace the existing if any wonder-themes shows up. Yes, I do agree that the blue theme is not the best....... For themes not in the DuDE-package, I could make a link in the main post. Thank you!!!
Sigmund
Thanks,
Jim

DC

#84 Post by DC »

Hi Zigbert,

numlockx also works in fatdog64

For a laptop this script might be of interest to you

#!/bin/sh
# DC 07/04/09
## switch on numlock if USB KB connected during start up

# search through dmesg
kb=dmesg | grep "USB Keyboard" | cut -b 18-29 | head -1

# switch on if found ( else not really required good for testing)
if [ $kb=USB Keyboard ] 
        then /usr/local/bin/numlockx on
        else /usr/local/bin/numlockx off
fi
DC

zigbert

#85 Post by zigbert »

#!/bin/sh
# DC 07/04/09
## switch on numlock if USB KB connected during start up

# search through dmesg
kb=dmesg | grep "USB Keyboard" | cut -b 18-29 | head -1

# switch on if found ( else not really required good for testing)
if [ $kb=USB Keyboard ] 
        then /usr/local/bin/numlockx on
        else /usr/local/bin/numlockx off
fi
Great stuff, but I still don't know where to run it..... Do I have to run it BEFORE X is up (/root/.xinitrc), or can it be started AFTER X is running (/root/Startup). For DuDE, the latest solution would be preferable.

Sigmund
Last edited by zigbert on Wed 12 May 2010, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#86 Post by zigbert »

[Desktop Entry]
Name=e-Sword
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/root/.wine" wine "C:\\Program Files\\e-Sword\\e-Sword.exe"
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=WordProcessor 
I do not see an immediate solution for this wild .desktop file. Do anyone know if this kind of 'Exec' could be common for all kinds of programs, or is it a unique wine-solution to add a variable in front of the command????

Sigmund

DC

#87 Post by DC »

Hi zigbert

* numlock*

going back a few puppy versions I used to use numlockx from /root/.xinitrc
then for some reason I changed to xsetnumlock from /root/startup
then because xsetnumlock would not work with fatdog64 I've gone back to numlockx running from /root/startup.

From a personal configuration point of view scripts in /root/startup are easier to maintain than changes to system files. the only downside to root/startup is it can happen a few seconds after the desktop comes up.

hope this ramble helps :D

DC

Jim1911

#88 Post by Jim1911 »

zigbert wrote:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=e-Sword
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=WordProcessor 
I do not see an immediate solution for this wild .desktop file. Do anyone know if this kind of 'Exec' could be common for all kinds of programs, or is it a unique wine-solution to add a variable in front of the command????
Sigmund
Would this work with DuDE? Creating an e-Sword.sh file and placing it in /usr/bin and then changing desktop file. This should work for any wine application that has a desktop file created.

[Desktop Entry]
Name=e-Sword
Exec=/usr/bin/e-Sword.sh
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=WordProcessor
I tried it, and DuDE does detect the executable e-Sword.sh file and I was able to run it in the utility_tray. Now where can the specific information be included for wine users so that their desktop files will be detected?
Thanks,
Jim

Jim1911

#89 Post by Jim1911 »

DC wrote:Hi zigbert

* numlock*

going back a few puppy versions I used to use numlockx from /root/.xinitrc
then for some reason I changed to xsetnumlock from /root/startup
then because xsetnumlock would not work with fatdog64 I've gone back to numlockx running from /root/startup.

From a personal configuration point of view scripts in /root/startup are easier to maintain than changes to system files. the only downside to root/startup is it can happen a few seconds after the desktop comes up.

hope this ramble helps :D

DC
Hi DC,
How did you setup numlockx to run from /root/startup in fatdog64? I've tried linking to /usr/bin/numlockx, also copied numlockx to /root/startup, neither worked.

Zigbert, please forgive me for temporarily swiping your thread.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim1911

#90 Post by Jim1911 »

Duplicate post

DC

#91 Post by DC »

Hi jim1911,

The numlockx I posted in
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4&start=30

was "borrowed" from ubunto64 this might be different.

I've just tried the numlockx from the pet you posted above.
In fatdog64 b3 and it works from the command line ok.

I do have the source for version 1.2 if you want to try compling your own.

DC

zigbert

#92 Post by zigbert »

Hi guys
I'll make an attempt to include numlockx for DuDE 0.3. Hopefully, I get some feedback if it works.

Thank you both
Sigmund

zigbert

#93 Post by zigbert »

Jim
I guess your fixed esword .desktop file works just great, but my intention is that any .desktop file should work with DuDE. But, it is maybe only in the Puppy-world that Exec value of .desktop files is straightforward?????????

Sigmund

Jim1911

#94 Post by Jim1911 »

zigbert wrote:Jim
I guess your fixed esword .desktop file works just great, but my intention is that any .desktop file should work with DuDE. But, it is maybe only in the Puppy-world that Exec value of .desktop files is straightforward?????????
Sigmund
The only workaround that I can foresee is for DuDE to check the application desktop files for

Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/root/.wine" wine "C:\\Program Files\\xxxxx\\xxxxx.exe"
(possibly just search for *.exe) and if found to create an excutable xxxxx.sh file containing the complete Exec code line, copy it to /usr/bin, and modify the xxxxx.desktop file Exec line to read

Exec=xxxxx.sh
which is what I did manually. It should be possible, but it's a lot to ask. Maybe the solution is to include a wine readme that informs the user what needs to be done and let the user do a manual edit.

Jim1911

#95 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi zigbert,

Another problem to ponder. DuDE has a conflict with lupu Quickpet update.

I have noted this Quickpet update problem for the last few lupu releases and finally determined that DuDE is the conflicting program. It's reported here. Any assistance will be welcomed.

Thanks,
Jim

DaveS

Interesting little bug

#96 Post by DaveS »

OK, so here is an interesting little bug. If i click on /usr/share/applications/seamonkey-web-browser and select 'add to favourites', I get a link inserted that says Seamonkey-Addressbook! , but the link loads Seamonkey Browser :)
If I go into usr/share/applications/seamonkey-addressbook.desktop and edit the description to just Seamonkey, then the link text in 'favorites' shows as just 'Seamonkey'.
My guess is, the link loads into 'favorites' correctly, but the database, when looking for text for the link picks up the first 'seamonkey' entry it finds, which is 'seamonkey-addressbook' and lifts the text from that.
Attachments
adrsbook.png
(16 KiB) Downloaded 933 times
desktops.png
(7.55 KiB) Downloaded 899 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

zigbert

#97 Post by zigbert »

Jim1911 wrote:
zigbert wrote:Jim
Sigmund
The only workaround that I can foresee is for DuDE to check the application desktop files for

Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/root/.wine" wine "C:\\Program Files\\xxxxx\\xxxxx.exe"
(possibly just search for *.exe) and if found to create an excutable xxxxx.sh file containing the complete Exec code line, copy it to /usr/bin, and modify the xxxxx.desktop file Exec line to read

Exec=xxxxx.sh
which is what I did manually. It should be possible, but it's a lot to ask. Maybe the solution is to include a wine readme that informs the user what needs to be done and let the user do a manual edit.
F I X E D

Jim1911

#98 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi zigbert,

Great, looking forward to next release. However, it's already a great addition to a jwm desktop.

Thanks,
Jim :D

Jim1911

#99 Post by Jim1911 »

I think that DaveS has pinpointed what happens with the name when sol is selected as a favorite that I posted earlier. That's the reason, it winds up with wrong names although the desired program does execute and the icon shows up correctly. It shows up this time as "Xsoldier - space arcade" instead of Aisleriot solitaire.

zigbert

#100 Post by zigbert »

Jim1911 wrote:Another problem to ponder. DuDE has a conflict with lupu Quickpet update.

I have noted this Quickpet update problem for the last few lupu releases and finally determined that DuDE is the conflicting program. It's reported here. Any assistance will be welcomed.
01micko wrote:Jim, I may revert to just opening a web browser and that's all for the update. That will fix your issue and the DuDE is too important (for me anyways Wink ) to drop. I can't quite get a handle on why it isn't working, But we can leave that for the future as stability is paramount at the moment.
Mick, if you find Quickpet to not be the problem, please tell me.....

Sigmund