Nvidia-settings tool for Quirky 1.00

Miscellaneous tools
JustGreg

Nvidia-settings tool for Quirky 1.00

#1 Post by JustGreg »

Quirky 1.00 has the official nvidia video kernel module. To make the Quirky 1.00 distribution small as needed, the nividia-settings tool and associate libraries were not included. This Pet provides the tool and libraries. The Pet also creates a menu entry and icon for nvidia-settings in the System section of the task bar menu.

The nvidia-settings tool allows one to change (resolution, etc.) the xorg server without shutting down the server. It provides other information. The nvidia-settings and libraries after installing requires about 23 Megabytes of storage. Before installing it, please check to see if you have enough storage.

The Pet installs the following:

nvidia-settings (in /usr/bin), the tool,

libGL.so.195.36.15 (link libGL.so.1, /usr/lib), the Open GL library with the API entry points,

libGLcore.so.195.36.15 (link libGLcore.so.1 /usr/lib) contains the core accelerated 3D functionality.

nvidia-tls.so. 195.36.15 (link nvidia-tls.so.1 /usr/lib) provide the thread local storage support. There are two version of this library in the nvidia installer (both named the same). I found the version located in the installer package /usr/lib/tls directory to be the one that worked with Quirky 1.00. The other one in /usr/lib caused a segmentation fault.

Thanks to forum member MU, the pet can be found at:

http://dotpups.de/puppy4/dotpups/XServe ... .36.15.pet

There is a mirror at:
http://puppyfiles.ca/dotpupsde/puppy4/d ... .36.15.pet

To sign on the site use:
user: puppy
password: linux

This is my first attempt at a Pet and it works fine on my system. I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

morimoto

#2 Post by morimoto »

works like a charm, no more segfault :D

thanks a lot JustGreg

mm

Jim1911

#3 Post by Jim1911 »

Worked great.
Thanks,
Jim :D

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Thanks.

But I need to ask something.
VIDEO REPORT: Quirky, version 100

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: G98 Board - 5610001u Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia
As you see I have Q100 and it says in video report that I have nvidia.

If I do that pet what happens then? I mean two nvidia drivers that compete maybe is not good practice?

So how come me already have it. How did I get it if the rest of you did not?

Sorry not sure. Could I have used an older pet? Or what is going on?

Omelette.swf already to 5 seconds which is okay the devs say so do I really need to do anything.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

JustGreg

#5 Post by JustGreg »

Thank you for the feed back! I think I know how to do a pet now. I have another idea. I will try to make it work and post it.

Nooby,
This is a settings tool. It does not change the video driver at all. It creates a settings file, saves any changes and restarts the video driver so the changes are applied. It does not add a new driver. It adds the settings tool and needed libraries. If you are using the correct version (195.36.15), there should be no problem. The nvidia video driver module that comes with Quirky 1.00 is the same version. But the nvidia-settings tool was not included. If you have the "nvidia-settings" tool, then you must have used Barry's latest pet for the driver. I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

super, Greg, no wI get it. Sorry me got it all wrong. I though it was a kind of all inclusive version. I look into it maybe in a week or so.

Tiding up the apartment these days
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though