Quirky 1.0 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
oui

#81 Post by oui »

Hi rcrsn51
rcrsn51 wrote:
oui wrote:but where is the central place for the non-official ones or support about the test with success of usual puppy pet's in quirky to find?
If you have tested some Puppy PETs in Quirky, please report your results here.
I would be able to upload following packages tested as well working with Quirky 1.0:

- Seamonkey 2.0
- Beaver 3.0
- Wine 1.1.23
- SDL-1.2.13 (needed by qemu)
- qemu-0.91
- Imagemagick-6.4.1-10 (very interessting itself and needed by xara lx)
- skype static 2.1.0.47
- MuseScore 0.9.2
- xara lx 0.7r1692-2
- OpenOffice 3.1.1

I will test now

- Java-1.6u17
- mtools 3.9.11

I know no way to test kqemu or dd rescue (I did install them and system seems to be ok)

All packages come of course of other puppy repositories but are tested and work with quirky 1.0.

Different other packages didn't start at all :( ...

Above packages did not appear again after remastering; OO 3.1.1 would be installed twice to work. But: It works now!

To upload, I would need an access and a subdir "quirky" (but please prepare the same access and subdir for "fatdog64" as well needing new packages as quirky)

lili.jpg is a my lovely old cat as we are loving cats now, as beautiful background...

salut

retry3

Dim screen

#82 Post by retry3 »

Great work as usual, Barry.

The screen is so dim I can barely make out the icons. Background is dark blue.

Things are fine in 4.3.1 (full install)

Tried 2GTK color chooser and Nathan's Wallpaper trying for lightest,brightest screen display possible and made a slight improvement by using the citrus theme, but still barely usable.

Searched thread, no one else seems to have the problem.

Probably me, notQ1, so would appreciate any direction.

Pavilion zv5120us notebook 512Gb Radeon

Regards, retr3

alec78

Samsung X05 - Intel i810 Driver

#83 Post by alec78 »

Hi all,
@rjbrewer, Jammy B.
@BarryK, I edited the /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg.conf file changing vesa to i810 and hit Restart X server. I now have a laptop that will not boot to the desktop, even if I run xorgwizard. I wonder if I should download the full q100.iso? The last three quirky isos I've tried have all been by building a new iso from the previous iso and the xdiff file. I am posting this from my old Dell Latitude LS under Puppy 431.
Cheers

`f00

#84 Post by `f00 »

@stu90, p5 ("disabling the default fbpanel") and in general

There's also a tickbox for fbpanel in the last section-page of bootmanager.

As noted by upnorth, plus you may also do some commenting-out or editing in /usr/sbin/delayedrun for other starts if you like - I use htop a lot to kill processes that start and don't end for me (like fbpanel's refresh combo). You can also make a dotdesktop or other menu-entry to load things 'on-demand' in openbox's menus (/root/.config/openbox/*.xml top or bottom, xml is kind of picky with the syntax but the 'real' obmenu-refresh usually lets you know of errors with a transitory mssg) or suchlike when you do it from a console in openbox. obmenu-refresh has been 'lumped-in' with other stuff in the general-purpose fixmenus (but is still a separate script).. the part of fixmenus for fbpanel's icons puts a considerable load on for a few seconds on my machine, so the xml error-mssg may not display.

The same can be done with PuppyPin if you don't need a drag'n'drop desktop or driveicons. Lots of other bg-setters are available but Rox is good for d'n'd.

@Sylvander (p5) 3. - with text (fg) you can read (; - dead-full-black can be a troublesome choice at times for bg, depending.

By the way, does xfe open the /tmp dir okay for you? For me it tends to go into a loop if tried directly for that particular dir (possibly just my particular setup at the moment and maybe using copyovers, etc rather than full dotpets).

@retry3 - the lightgray bg is still dark? Hmm - look around for things to change "gamma" and increase that value (it may be in setup or available somewhere on the forum) .. yah, ati/radeon cpl support is spotty or a bit hard to find for some hwr even if available.

.. the xdelta(s) have always worked well for me (if the md5s check on old, xdelta and result .. it should be the same as a full dl) - Xorg can be various on some hwr (quirky is 'a moving target' relatively 8) )

drblock2

Quirky 1.0 feedback

#85 Post by drblock2 »

The Opera 10.10-4742F.sfs would not run, but I down loaded the latest Opera 10.54 from Opera's site, unpacked it and ran it straight out of the directory, fine video.

One serious issue. Geany refuses to load files from my LAN via Samba. Files on the local hard drive work fine, but clicking on network drive does nothing. Attempting to open file from within Geany opens a blank window with the error message: Value too large for defined data type.

This problem is not unkown in other distributions and apparently has to do with parameters that need to be added to the mount command.

Perhaps, I will try to roll back to Geany 0.18. In the mean time, I am using NicoEdit as a work around.

Edit: I tried rolling back to Geany 0.18 (the version in Puppy 4.3.1), but this did not solve the problem. I should probably add that I tried connecting with both pnethood and lameSMBqmount. Other programs, e.g., abiword, NicoEdit worked without a hitch.
Last edited by drblock2 on Sat 08 May 2010, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Quirky 1.00 Epson RX600 printer, embedded scan function

#86 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:@Béèm: The SANE driver package in Puppy/Quirky recognizes some Epson scanners, but it looks like your RX600 is not one of them. However, Epson supplies its own driver called epkowa.

Read here.. There are two packages to try - one by me and a larger one by jamesbond.

The packages will need a bit of modification. They contain the file /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4, which is actually a symlink to /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3.7.4. However in Quirky, the new version is libtiff.so.3.8.2, so you will need to change this.

Let me know if it works. If not, I can try repackaging it for Quirky.
Thank you for the advice. I will look into that route.
I now tried in Lucid 115 also and the scanner works.
Would it eventually be possible to copy the needed files from Lucid 115 to Q 100?
Well I suppose the epkowa.tar.gz takes care of this.
The epkowa.tar.gz didn't work, still no device

I then tried the iscan pet and followed the instructions.
When starting iscan I got a message: command couldn't be sent to scanner. Check scanner status.

The scanner is ready, so iscan isn't a solution either.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

01micko

#87 Post by 01micko »

no seems i fixed my problem, disregard
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rcrsn51

#88 Post by rcrsn51 »

Béèm wrote:The scanner is ready, so iscan isn't a solution either.
Do you have a Puppy install you could try this driver on?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#89 Post by Béèm »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Altho the scanner is working in Lucid, I could install iscan and try with it, yes.
As it is 02:00 am now, it won't be for now. Time to go to bed.
Time savers:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#90 Post by BarryK »

oui wrote:Hi rcrsn51
rcrsn51 wrote:
oui wrote:but where is the central place for the non-official ones or support about the test with success of usual puppy pet's in quirky to find?
If you have tested some Puppy PETs in Quirky, please report your results here.
I would be able to upload following packages tested as well working with Quirky 1.0:

- Seamonkey 2.0
- Beaver 3.0
- Wine 1.1.23
- SDL-1.2.13 (needed by qemu)
- qemu-0.91
- Imagemagick-6.4.1-10 (very interessting itself and needed by xara lx)
- skype static 2.1.0.47
- MuseScore 0.9.2
- xara lx 0.7r1692-2
- OpenOffice 3.1.1

I will test now

- Java-1.6u17
- mtools 3.9.11

I know no way to test kqemu or dd rescue (I did install them and system seems to be ok)

All packages come of course of other puppy repositories but are tested and work with quirky 1.0.

Different other packages didn't start at all :( ...

Above packages did not appear again after remastering; OO 3.1.1 would be installed twice to work. But: It works now!

To upload, I would need an access and a subdir "quirky" (but please prepare the same access and subdir for "fatdog64" as well needing new packages as quirky)

lili.jpg is a my lovely old cat as we are loving cats now, as beautiful background...

salut
Ttuuxxx has already created some PETs for Quirky, if you want, upload more to that thread (or provide links):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50364
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#91 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

G'day all. I've got WINE working in Quirky. Downloaded Wine 1.1.39 Pet file from here (thanks green_dome :D ):
http://solidfiles.com/d/1095f2ac507c69c ... 1377b22f3c
http://solidfiles.com/d/8f30de0791db9d1 ... b81a58a151

Downloaded Gecko from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/fi ... b/download

Created folder /usr/share/wine/gecko and copied the gecko file in there. Opened a terminal, typed in "winefile" (without the quotes) and it worked !!! Easiest WINE installation, ever. No mucking-about with dependencies. They were all just there. If some one finds they ARE missing dependencies, they might find them in a Post by green_dome in this thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=398253

@rjbrewer - you're right - having that fsckme-err file is a good sign but it had me worried cos of that .err tacked onto the end of it. Thought it was an error

@rcrsn51 - you're right about the suggestive file-name
Steve

Béèm

#92 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
Altho the scanner is working in Lucid, I could install iscan and try with it, yes.
As it is 02:00 am now, it won't be for now. Time to go to bed.
I tried in Lucid 114, with which xsane is working correctly.

Iscan did work ok also. The device detected epkowa:usb:001:003
In Xsane the device is epson2:libusb:001:003
But also the epkowa one is proposed for selection.
When I select it in Xsane, I can scan with epkowa also.

I wonder if the installation of your epkowa.tar.gz does interfere in Quirky. I didn't install it in Lucid 114, only the iscan.pet
Time savers:

Sylvander

#93 Post by Sylvander »

@f00

1. "does xfe open the /tmp dir okay for you?"
Yes, it does, no sign of any problem.

2. "with text (fg) you can read"
Don't understand.
What does this mean?
What is (fg)?

3. "dead-full-black can be a troublesome choice at times for bg"
(a) Again, I don't understand, what is bg?
(b) In Lighthouse I use a black color scheme, but it isn't deep black, it sorta glows as though lit from the edges of the screen.
Looks really good.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quirky-100

A. I like the "doggy = Puppy" logo; has a "certain something" about it.

B. Quirky has been pretty trouble free = "just works".

C. The appearance of text etc in the Firefox-3.6 window is very good [like Lighthouse].
Struggling to make lupu-114 Firefox look as good.

D. How do I give a black background to the [lime green] CPU graph down at bottom right?

rcrsn51

#94 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Béèm

This is a bit of a mystery. I know that XSane works in Quirky because it detects my HP scanner with the add-on hpaio backend. So it's odd that Lupu can detect your scanner using the built-in epson2 backend but Quirky cannot.

Sylvander

#95 Post by Sylvander »

Just recently I've been suffering the following:

1. [The recent version = 3.6 of] Firefox has been crashing on various Puppies, including BoxPup-413, and Quirky-100, but NOT Lupu-116.
How does Lupu-116 manage to avoid the problem I wonder?
I'll need to begin taking notes methinks.

don570

yudit

#96 Post by don570 »

I tested Yudit multi-language text editor (www.yudit.org) and it
worked fine. I will test now on Lucid Puppy and report back.
available at www.esnips.com/web/lupu

Béèm

#97 Post by Béèm »

rcrsn51 wrote:@Béèm

This is a bit of a mystery. I know that XSane works in Quirky because it detects my HP scanner with the add-on hpaio backend. So it's odd that Lupu can detect your scanner using the built-in epson2 backend but Quirky cannot.
I wanted to start over again and uninstalled iscan and also removed the files of your epkowa.tar.gz package and rebooted.
Installed only iscan again and rebooted.
Now Xsane sees a epkowa:usb:001:003 device, but when trying to address it I get the message: can't access the device, resource busy.
Even after powering off/on the RX600 I have the same.

As for the iscan I still get that message that a command can't be sent to the device, without specifying which one. But in the light of what happens in Xsane, I suppose this msg is because the device/resource is busy.

Looks like something very basic is missing in Quirky, which is present in Lucid.
Time savers:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#98 Post by BarryK »

Sylvander wrote:Just recently I've been suffering the following:

1. [The recent version = 3.6 of] Firefox has been crashing on various Puppies, including BoxPup-413, and Quirky-100, but NOT Lupu-116.
How does Lupu-116 manage to avoid the problem I wonder?
I'll need to begin taking notes methinks.
Sqlite package needs to be updated. This will be in the next release of Quirky. You can also install my updated Sqlite PET but I haven't uploaded it yet.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

headfound

#99 Post by headfound »

Booted nicely on my intel i5 board (which refuses to boot ANY linux distro with a kernel older than early last year!).
Detected my video card as geforce (its ati) and actually brought up the desktop but extremely dark. I restarted xorg choosing the ati driver and all was well.

The only problem i have is that no matter how many times i specify an english GB keyboard layout, it still stays as (i guess) american with @ and " swapped.
Download a better Computer :)
[url=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJYDHX3g]Puppy Linux Song[/url]
[url=http://www.letterbyletter.co.uk]www.letterbyletter.co.uk[/url]

duke93535

JWM Info

#100 Post by duke93535 »

Anyone using JWM and Quirky 100 might think about compiling the newer JWM 492. This solved the no alt key + left clink drag for moving a large window.

duke