Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pa_mcclamrock

#641 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

frank1939 wrote:Lupu115 [ . . . ]finds the right video settings and started with a graphical desktop. But when I change the keyboard layout with xorgwizard the probe fails and I must select the resolution manually. It could be difficult for an unexperienced user.
True, but sometimes even inexperienced users need to know their video resolution. My recommendation: in First Run Configuration, just above the button you click to get xorgwizard, (1) add a conspicuous warning that the user needs to know the video resolution, and (2) inform the user what the current (automatic) resolution is, in case the user is satisfied with it or doesn't know whether another one would work.
2) When I try to innstall the browser I must connect to the internet first. The connect wizard could be also to complicated for an unexperienced user. SNS works. Is it possible to setup the internet connection automatically like Ubuntu (and others) can do it ?
My best guess would be "Not in Lucid Puppy 5.0!" My recommendation: if it is possible, please just add it on as an option, so those of us who are used to how the connect wizard works can continue to use it as before.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

playdayz

#642 Post by playdayz »

But when I change the keyboard layout with xorgwizard the probe fails and I must select the resolution manually. It could be difficult for an unexperienced user.
Hi frank1939, the probe is not failing--that is what it is supposed to do. That is a good point though, that in order to change the keyboard you need to know your video resolution. The one that xorgwizard chooses for you is usually safe--you can always rerun it if you find you need a different resolution. it is usually safe to pick the 24 bit resolution over the 16-bit. Probably we will not change this for Lucid Pup first release--because we are so close that we will only change something that is quite serious, that threatens data loss for instance. People have many ideas already for improvement which is wonderful--after release we will have the opportunity to explore them at leisure. Thanks.

playdayz

#643 Post by playdayz »

i have a question about drive icon alignment. When they get misaligned after various operations, and you manually realign them, do they stay realigned until some other operation changes them. I know this is irritating and I am optimistic it will be fixed but if it is just a question of a one time manual realignment, well that is something I have seen in Puppy from time immemorial--well, since the pup_event demon started.

If one changes resolution with xrandr, the screen gets messed up because jwm cannot redraw itself properly,but you fix it once and it is OK until the next time.

Please let us keep testing and remember what we are doing now--retesting everything to make sure what was fixed has stayed fixed and there are no serious problems that have crept in. If we were to miss something big that involved data loss then the drive icon thing would be quickly forgotten.

pa_mcclamrock

#644 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

playdayz wrote:i have a question about drive icon alignment. When they get misaligned after various operations, and you manually realign them, do they stay realigned until some other operation changes them.
Mine do, and now they're completely OK (since I booted with no pfix=ram and upgraded from 113).
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

playdayz

#645 Post by playdayz »

Opera Puzzle. I can make the fonts look much better in Opera but it was associated with a problem. Maybe someone else can give it a try. I am talking about the Opera-10.10 that is available in Quickpet. What I did first was to change all of the Opera fonts to DejaVu Sans--in Tools -> Preferences -> Fonts. And they looked much better. I then took the .opera directory from /root and packaged it in the pet so that those font preferences would hold when it was installed. OK. But then someone noticed that youtube or hulu would not play in Opera--and the reason was that Opera would not recognize the Flashplayer that was installed in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (as it should). In fact it would not recognize any Flashplayer anywhere. However, if I started from scratch with the Opera from Opera.com--where you see the License agreement as now when you install Opera with Quickpet. Flashplayer works, but now the fonts are back to the Opera standard Nimbus Sans which do not look nearly as good imo.

This is fixed.So, can anyone make a pet of Opera-10.10 which will recognize Flashplayer and also use the DejaVu Sans font? Of course, anyone can make the change themselves but it would be nice for Opera to look good right out of the box, so to speak. Thanks.

BTW, I was really hoping that Opera 10.50 would be official before Lucid Pup was released, so we could include it--in my experience it is noticeably faster than 10.10. Maybe--there is still some time. I check almost every day ;-) But if you see it first, please let us know.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 06 May 2010, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#646 Post by James C »

Concerning the drive icons, mine were misaligned after initally using xorgwizard to get my desired resolution on my frugal install.I didn't bother to realign them, merely rebooted and they were then correct and have stayed correct through numerous reboots and restarts of X.

Moved 3 regular icons to make room for Pwidgets and they've stayed correct as well.

Burning a cd as I post and will test graphics on some other equipment in a few. :)

James C

#647 Post by James C »

Running live on a box with S3 graphics Prosavage.....correct resolution on boot and drive icons were correct.Exited to prompt and ran xorgwizard.....all drive icons still correct.

Sylvander

#648 Post by Sylvander »

Is it possible to [easily?] update Lupu [say 114 to 115], whilst retaining the lupusave file [on a Flash Drive]?

Up to now, I've been doing afresh with each new release:
Re-installing all my preferred packages, and making configuration tweaks.

It takes a lot of [duplicate] work each time.

James C

#649 Post by James C »

Now running live (pfix=ram) on a box with Intel 82865G graphics.Correct resolution of 1440X900 on initial boot and no problem the drive icons. :)

8-bit

#650 Post by 8-bit »

I wanted to let you know that the Nvidia factory package I initially used when I had problems was wrong. I had used the one I had for my Puppy 431 install.
But lo and behold, the Nvidia site showed a different package for my video card.
I tried it in quirky and it worked and stayed on reboot.
So If you want to install a Nvidia factory package, make sure you have the right one!
The one I used for my Nvidia GeForce 6150SE graphics card that worked was : NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.36.24.pkg1.run.
It did error on a "depmod -aq" command. But I was able to continue on to finish and before restarting xwin, I typed "depmod -a" followed by typing "modprobe nvidia".
Just thought I would pass that along.

Also, for making PDF files, If one is printing from web content, use print to CUPSPDF. If you are creating a local PDF file with abiword, just use "print to file".
But a word of caution goes with it. Watch the size of the inserted picture!
I inserted a picture and did not resize it and when I went to view the created PDF file, I was prompted for a password.
After going back and reducing the dimensions of the picture, and writing to file again, I was no longer asked for a password.

tronkel

#651 Post by tronkel »

@playdayz

A new beta version of Chromium has just been announced that has its own version of flash built-in. It is now supposed to be the fastest browser of them all. Its start-up is virtually instantaneous as well. It's a relatively big download though at 22MB. May not matter too much since it would not be included in the ISO anyway.

As you know this is an open source developer version that eventually ends up as Google Chrome.

see here:

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.co ... pdate.html

I had to install missing libraries from Debian Unstable and from my Seamonkey install to get it to run in Quirky. Probably the same for Lupu I would think. Five or six libraries are missing if I remember correctly.

So any pet would need to include these.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

01micko

#652 Post by 01micko »

Maybe.. just maybe the "filthy fix" isn't so bad, James C has a good report.

Now, I have seen when changing screen res in xorgwizard in any Puppy that drive icons go up tthe scrren if you increase the resolution and have unpredictable behaviour if you go down in resolution

Maybe we need to add that flag to call clean_drive_icons to that excon script that Pa uploaded, like so...

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
echo "ICONWIPE" > /tmp/pup_event_icon_change_flag
#do this code block if X is running...
mv -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.prev 2>/dev/null
   [ -e /usr/bin/Xvesa ] && ln -sf Xvesa /usr/bin/X
   NEXTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`"
   echo -n "$NEXTWM" > /etc/windowmanager #this makes change permanent.
   echo -n "$NEXTWM" > /tmp/wmexitmode.txt
   sync
   exec killall X
See at the top I have set the flag, now this does make some sense, the icons must be redrawn once the xorg.conf has been changed.

Thoughts?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Terryphi

#653 Post by Terryphi »

playdayz wrote:Opera Puzzle. But then someone noticed that youtube or hulu would not play in Opera--and the reason was that Opera would not recognize the Flashplayer that was installed in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (as it should).

BTW, I was really hoping that Opera 10.50 would be official before Lucid Pup was released, so we could include it--in my experience it is noticeably faster than 10.10. .
Maybe Opera looks for flash in /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin. Create this directory if it does not exist and place a symlink within it to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so .

I have been testing Opera 10.53 beta but it is still not rendering fonts as well as Opera 10.10 and there are a number of bugs. My advice: stick with Opera 10.10.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Strange tmp directory after boot

#654 Post by Béèm »

I wanted to inspect the boot log files and went to /tmp.
In the picture the red line indicates the time I booted.
The snapshot of /tmp was taken some 5 minutes after boot.
So the weird thing is that I have quite some files with a date and time from the previous day of which the bootsysinit.log and bootkernel.log

How can that be possible?
As far as I understand, /tmp is emptied on shutdown.

Also there are files which have a time which is some 1:40 hour later than the boot time. Weird also.

I did the exercise for Quirky 018 and the files in /tmp start at the time of boot. But I also have that jump in time with respect to the boot time as indicated by the red line.
Attachments
tmp-after-boot-quirky018.png
Red line indicates the jump in time with respect to boot time. The screen shot is taken not more then 5 minutes after boot.
(174.3 KiB) Downloaded 1089 times
tmp-after-boot.png
Red line indicates boot time.
(172.98 KiB) Downloaded 1095 times
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#655 Post by Lobster »

The above s a Geany thing - we had it before and it cleared up
Can not remember how it was solved.

Tests

Initial setup as expected - fine
When running the Lucid update I was disconcerted by the
wait button (we Puppys think that a 5 second wait is a crash)
it was fine - and I seem to remember you had to put in some pause
deliberately

*Volume control icon is present

yeah baby!
and I did not have to set my sound card - Lucid recognized it

*Graphics setup is complete--automatic with gui tools to personalize

Yes!

*Drive Icon fix is implemented

I only have two partitions - put in USB hd - which appeared as I would expect

* Youtube/Flash videos play full-screen smoothly

Smooth!

* Xogwizard does not crash when run from the menu

you mean xorgwizard?
No xog
no crash - fine

* Quickpet 1.4 is introduced.

eh . . . I have 1.5
am I ahead of time?

Thanks guys looking forward to 116
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#656 Post by 01micko »

Lobster wrote: eh . . . I have 1.5
am I ahead of time?

Thanks guys looking forward to 116
Er.. as always! :lol: (And behind :wink: )

Now this fix works! And it is not so filthy but logical. (Same as I posted a few posts ago)

#!/bin/sh 
echo "ICONWIPE" > /tmp/pup_event_icon_change_flag 
#do this code block if X is running... 
mv -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.prev 2>/dev/null 
   [ -e /usr/bin/Xvesa ] && ln -sf Xvesa /usr/bin/X 
   NEXTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`" 
   echo -n "$NEXTWM" > /etc/windowmanager #this makes change permanent. 
   echo -n "$NEXTWM" > /tmp/wmexitmode.txt 
   sync 
   exec killall X 
Note the first call, the echo to /tmp, that is the important change.

I just tested with my old P3, which incidentally boots just fine to a desktop but it seems a bit narrow compared to a normal first run, and at 1024x768.. I wanted 1200x1024, which the card and monitor support just fine.

Without the fix I run Xorgwizard from the button in the first-run window and I choose my larger resolution and my drive icons are about one third of the screen above the bottom, this has been an age old problem of puppy with changing screen res, not a Lucid Puppy Bug! But it has been brought to the forefront in Lupu, a great thing for Puppy in general.

With the fix my icons redraw perfectly at the new resolution. :) :) :D .

For those of us that don't mind playing with code, please test. The file to edit is /sbin/excon, Of course you must have the icon problem/screen problem such that you need to run the xorgwizard.

1) Boot pfix=ram
2)Choose locale and time zone if you want but don't restart X and don't close the first run wizard.
3)locate /sbin/excon and right click>open as text
4)at Line 2, right under the shebang (/bin/sh) add echo "ICONWIPE" > /tmp/pup_event_icon_change_flag
5)Save it, Close Geany
6)now click the exit to prompt icon button in the first run.
7)X will die and keyboard choice will come up, choose yours, then probe or whatever you need to do in xorgwizard and after that is finished your desktop will come up with nicely redrawn icons.
8)report your success!

Cheers

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#657 Post by Lobster »

guys just ran the top command because the connection icons are on green but nothing running -
that I know of
So gonna restart x to clear it
. . . might be of interest

Mem: 552012K used, 1522700K free, 0K shrd, 55488K buff, 405368K cached
CPU:   2% usr   1% sys   0% nic  96% idle   0% io   0% irq   0% sirq
Load average: 0.00 0.00 0.00 1/82 9917
  PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %MEM CPU %CPU COMMAND
26748 26747 root     S <   296m  15%   0   1% X :0 -br -nolisten tcp 
10593 10592 root     S    11512   1%   0   0% ffmpeg -i http://lounge-high.rautemusik.fm -ss 0 -f au - 
 9842 26852 root     S    20168   1%   0   0% geany 
28726 28674 root     S N   4836   0%   0   0% xlock -inwindow -mode ball 
26749 26747 root     S     7828   0%   0   0% jwm 
26785 26749 root     S     2480   0%   0   0% /bin/ash /sbin/pup_event_frontend_d 
 8656  8536 root     R     2380   0%   0   0% top 
28674 28659 root     S    21748   1%   0   0% gtkdialog3 --program MAINDIALOG 
26852     1 root     S    20000   1%   0   0% /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin 
27073     1 root     S    17540   1%   0   0% retrovol -hide -bg #4D525B 
 7988     1 root     S    15836   1%   0   0% blinky -bg #4D525B 
10915     1 haldaemo S    13152   1%   0   0% /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes 
10852     1 root     S     6672   0%   0   0% /usr/sbin/cupsd -C /etc/cups/cupsd.conf 
 8535 26852 root     S     5508   0%   0   0% /usr/bin/urxvt 
 7984     1 root     S     4460   0%   0   0% xload -nolabel -bg gray45 -fg red -hl white 
 7986     1 root     S     4316   0%   0   0% freememapplet 
10592     1 root     S     3496   0%   0   0% /bin/sh /root/.pmusic/tmp/exec 
10916 10915 root     S     3452   0%   0   0% hald-runner 
 8536  8535 root     S     3232   0%   0   0% bash 
27299     1 root     S     3200   0%   0   0% dbus-launch --autolaunch 86b18f270cd1e5ee14e7fd614be13b4e --binary-syntax --close-stderr 
28659 26852 root     S     3084   0%   0   0% /bin/sh /usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun -configure 
10462     1 root     S     3080   0%   0   0% /bin/sh /usr/bin/xwin 
26747 10462 root     S     2984   0%   0   0% /usr/bin/xinit /root/.xinitrc -- -br -nolisten tcp 
 6119     1 root     S <   2660   0%   0   0% /bin/sh /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe_protect --daemon 
10899  6119 root     S <   2660   0%   0   0% /bin/sh /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe_protect --daemon 
10900 10899 root     S <   2660   0%   0   0% /bin/sh /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe_protect --daemon 
10864     1 messageb S     2156   0%   0   0% /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system 
27300     1 root     S     2156   0%   0   0% /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session 
10463     1 root     S     2100   0%   0   0% /sbin/getty 38400 tty2 
10467     1 root     S     2100   0%   0   0% /sbin/getty 38400 tty3 
    1     0 root     S     2096   0%   0   0% /bin/busybox init 
10718     1 root     S     2096   0%   0   0% syslogd -m 0 
10720     1 root     S     2096   0%   0   0% klogd 
23529     1 root     S     1864   0%   0   0% dhcpcd -d -I  eth0 
 6986  7986 root     S     1804   0%   0   0% /usr/bin/inotifywait -e modify --format %w /tmp/pup_event_sizefreem 
 6124     1 root     S <   1764   0%   0   0% /sbin/udevd --daemon 
 9917 26785 root     S     1696   0%   0   0% sleep 2 
  213     2 root     SW       0   0%   0   0% [aufsd/1]
  212     2 root     SW       0   0%   0   0% [aufsd/0]
    6     2 root     SW       0   0%   0   0% [ksoftirqd/1]
    5     2 root     SW       0   0%   0   0% [migration/1]
    3     2 root     SW       0   0%   0   0% [migration/0]
    4     2 root     SW       0   0%   0   0% [ksoftirqd/0]
    7     2 root     SW       0   0%   0   0% [events/0]
    8     2 root     SW       0   0%   0   0% [events/1]
  710     2 root     SW<      0   0%   0   0% [loop0]
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

01micko

#658 Post by 01micko »

Hi Lobster

Nothing too bad I can see in there, your cpu is 96% idle .. a bit of memory being used by X :0 -br -nolisten tcp..

here's my coressponding line..(on my old P3, 256MB RAM, 400MB swap)

7329  7320 root     S <  66300  26%   0   2% X :0 -br -nolisten tcp
Any slowdowns? System misbehaving?

Cheers

Edit: Siily me... what internet radio program are you running Lobster? It is certainly running.
10593 10592 root S 11512 1% 0 0% ffmpeg -i http://lounge-high.rautemusik.fm -ss 0 -f au -

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#659 Post by Lobster »

It was an online one - so I think we are talking about flash or Firefox memory leakage? Yet again?

one of the ambient stations on this page
http://www.listenlive.eu/chillout.html
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

01micko

#660 Post by 01micko »

Lobster wrote:It was an online one - so I think we are talking about flash or Firefox memory leakage? Yet again?

one of the ambient stations on this page
http://www.listenlive.eu/chillout.html
Phew! It is not likely a flash bug, using ffmpeg, certainly probable a Firefox bug, highly unlikely a Lupu bug, but possibly an ffmpeg bug.. did any of that make any sense???