Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
aarf

Re: first run

#541 Post by aarf »

Béèm wrote:
aarf wrote:lupu114
firstrun in my screen. note text is obscured.(see attached image)
Sometimes in OpenOffice I have this issue also. Often after inserting a row in Calc.
I then scroll up and down and the issue is gone.
I have a radeon video controller. Don't know if it is related to the driver.
yes have seen this behavior in gnumeric as well.
did a pfix=ram i.e. no link to first run wizard in menus
and have posted the actual first screen (a full blank window) before moving the window, by dragging the top bar, makes the text visible. if the window isn't moved by dragging the top bar it will remain blank and not show any text at all.
no scroll bar to move around and as before the first picture i posted above of this is the best that can be attained.
Attachments
frw.jpg
(15.01 KiB) Downloaded 1049 times
Last edited by aarf on Sun 02 May 2010, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

Re: upgrade

#542 Post by 01micko »

tatamata wrote:Is it possible to upgrade regular Puppy 4.3.1 to Lucid Puppy?
NO! Do not try it!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

aarf

Re: upgrade

#543 Post by aarf »

tatamata wrote:Is it possible to upgrade regular Puppy 4.3.1 to Lucid Puppy?
short answer is no, you need to do a fresh frugal install which takes a minute or two when you know how.

01micko

#544 Post by 01micko »

tronkel, et al

Ok, I knocked up a pet with the defaultbrowser popup in the tray, it's simple bash/gtkdialog, It works but sometimes the popup comes up anywhere, but in saying that this is experimental, it does actually function, make achoice and your default is changed.

Be warned it is experimental, try at own risk (aw, try it anyway, we're testing here :wink: )

Cheers

newer version below for testing
Attachments
popup.jpg
(12.16 KiB) Downloaded 1102 times
browserchoosedefault.jpg
(14.37 KiB) Downloaded 1072 times
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 03 May 2010, 00:51, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

#545 Post by 01micko »

Béèm

Ok, looks like something is getting lost in the translation there. If you are running frugal can you do me a favour and install Startmount, (use peppy's puppy search :wink: )

yeah, yeah, blowing my trumpet you may think but it uses a very similar method to get sizes of partitions and just may narrow things down a bit.

Cheers

omskates

#546 Post by omskates »

HI, lupu doesn't start x on my Fujitsu lifebook with intel video. I must boot pfix=nox and start xorgwizard from command line. Otherwise, looks great so far. Thx! :)

tronkel

#547 Post by tronkel »

@01micko

LOL that was quick!

Browser selector in the tray works and is exactly as I visualised it. Kudos - hope it appears in the next version of Lupu.

I don't seem to be able to dismiss the browser selector window except by right-clicking on the gtkdialog taskbar and choosing close. Also multiple instances of the chooser load every time the icon is clicked. Otherwise this is cool.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#548 Post by Béèm »

01micko wrote:Béèm

Ok, looks like something is getting lost in the translation there. If you are running frugal can you do me a favor and install Startmount, (use peppy's puppy search :wink: )

yeah, yeah, blowing my trumpet you may think but it uses a very similar method to get sizes of partitions and just may narrow things down a bit.

Cheers
I will chase for Startmount and install, but I have to do some other work first.
In the meantime, it's interesting to see that Pmount displays correctly the size.
Still wonder if my nl_BE@euro has to do with it.

EDIT
Well did a fresh install and verified after each step if the size was displayed.
  1. First boot to desktop, size displays
  2. changed country locale, restart X, size displayed
  3. changed timezone, restart X, size displayed
  4. went into xorgwizard to change the keyb from us to be, restart X, size displayed.
  5. pushed ok on first run panel, pushed to display the info panel and closed, restart X, size displayed.
  6. time to reboot to create a save file, did so
  7. boot ok, but drive icons in disorder, but size displayed
  8. and now the clue, selected to delete and redraw desktop drive icons with the desktop drive icon manager
  9. icons came back correctly aligned, but no size displayed
How about that.
Attachments
desktop-drives-icons-size-pmount.png
(26.64 KiB) Downloaded 1007 times
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

01micko

#549 Post by 01micko »

tronkel wrote:@01micko

LOL that was quick!

Browser selector in the tray works and is exactly as I visualised it. Kudos - hope it appears in the next version of Lupu.

I don't seem to be able to dismiss the browser selector window except by right-clicking on the gtkdialog taskbar and choosing close. Also multiple instances of the chooser load every time the icon is clicked. Otherwise this is cool.
Getting the thing to run once only is easy enough but getting it consistently to pop up in exactly the right spot is the challenge. Maybe I'll have another go tomorrow, that is if everyone else thinks it's worth it :wink:

Cheers

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#550 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:

Ok, looks like something is getting lost in the translation there. If you are running frugal can you do me a favor and install Startmount, (use peppy's puppy search :wink: )

Cheers
I will chase for Startmount and install, but I have to do some other work first.
In the meantime, it's interesting to see that Pmount displays correctly the size.
Still wonder if my nl_BE@euro has to do with it.

EDIT
Well did a fresh install and verified after each step if the size was displayed.
  1. First boot to desktop, size displays
  2. changed country locale, restart X, size displayed
  3. changed timezone, restart X, size displayed
  4. went into xorgwizard to change the keyb from us to be, restart X, size displayed.
  5. pushed ok on first run panel, pushed to display the info panel and closed, restart X, size displayed.
  6. time to reboot to create a save file, did so
  7. boot ok, but drive icons in disorder, but size displayed
  8. and now the clue, selected to delete and redraw desktop drive icons with the desktop drive icon manager
  9. icons came back correctly aligned, but no size displayed
How about that.
As expected, startmount (like pmount) did display correctly the size of the drives partitions.
Attachments
startmount.png
(32.27 KiB) Downloaded 874 times
Time savers:

TomRhymer

#551 Post by TomRhymer »

Using 114 on my Aspire One D-150.

Speakers are still set to zero along with all of the new Woof builds, have to install Retrovol to correct.

I can run any of the network setups, all of them work for connecting, but none of them will save, so I have to re-do each time I boot.

01micko

#552 Post by 01micko »

tronkel wrote:@01micko

LOL that was quick!

Ok then tronkel, try this newer one, I added back in the window decorations so you can kill it without change which as a side effect made the placement much more stable, also the gui dies and a new instance starts when you click the icon. 50 clicks in a row and the gui appeared in the right position.

Cheers and enjoy!
Attachments
browser-default-test-0.3.pet
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 251 times

01micko

#553 Post by 01micko »

Béèm

I thought it may have been a locale issue but it is not, I cahnged my locale to nl_BE@euro and drive info was there, but of course it was always there, I may try pfix=ram.

It is certainly not printing the info to the XML file for you so I don't know which way to go now.. I'll take a look at the scripts that generate that XML file.

Cheers

01micko

#554 Post by 01micko »

Ok, Pizzasgood just released the latest retrovol-0.6

I really like this mixer, fully alsa compliant.

To get the background of the speaker icon you need to replace the retrovol code at Line 32 in /usr/sbin/delayedrun with the new code:

OLD CODE

Code: Select all

if [ "`which retrovol`" != "" ];then
 if [ "`retrovol -help 2>&1 | grep '\-show'`" != "" ];then
  retrovol & #100119 tray volume control by pizzasgood.
 else
  retrovol -hide & #100413 versions after 0.2.
 fi
fi
NEW CODE

Code: Select all

#JWM stuff
if [ -f /root/.jwm/jwm_colors ];then #v3.96
. /root/.jwm/jwm_colors
fi 
if [ "`which retrovol`" != "" ];then
 if [ "`retrovol -help 2>&1 | grep '\-show'`" != "" ];then
  if [ "$MENU_BG" = "" ];then retrovol & #100119 tray volume control by pizzasgood.
   else
   retrovol -bg $MENU_BG &
  fi 
 else
  if [ "$MENU_BG" = "" ];then retrovol -hide & #100413 versions after 0.2.
   else
   retrovol -hide -bg $MENU_BG &
  fi 
 fi
fi
Enjoy
Attachments
retrovol-6.pet
(98.54 KiB) Downloaded 265 times

aarf

#555 Post by aarf »

more grief for you micko :lol:
package manager is in need of a -4 fix same as quickpet needed before
Attachments
packagemanager fail.jpg
(50.03 KiB) Downloaded 781 times

8-bit

#556 Post by 8-bit »

I started lupu-114 with pfix=ram to make sure I did not have a pupsave interfering with the xorg.conf file.
When I open it in /etc/X11, I see a line at the end that says
"#everything past here is auto-generated by Puppy's Xorg Wizard...

#PuppyHardwareProfile=NVIDIA"

Where the H is the rest that was supposed to be auto-generated?
Does this mean I have to go back and run xorgwizard to get it right or did you miss a step.
If I indeed exit to a prompt and run xorgwizard, the rest of the xorg.conf file gets generated.
But, it is loading the "nv" driver as the one for my Nvidia GeForce 6150 SE Graphics card.
Is this right?
Also, I installed the Nvidia PET for my card and it installs a Nvidia-settings that one should be able to use.
But, when run, it fails with "nvidiaX driver not loaded".
Also, in 114, glxgears is not found.
Was this your fix for the slow full screen video on Youtube?
Dumping GX and dri?
I am trying to understand all of this.
I have as of yet to get a fully functional Nvidia driver for my PC in lupu-114.
I do have the full factory driver installed in my Puppy 431 complete with the splash screen and working nvidia-settings.
EDITED
I Just went to the Nvidia home site and downloaded and ran the installer for it. I did this after making a system link for /usr/lib/libGL.so.195.36.24 in /lib.
The depmod options in the installer bombed so I did it from the terminal before restarting X.
And guess what?!!!! :D :D :D
I have a very functional working Nvidia driver now specific to my video card.
And best of all, You tube videos now play full screen with no slowdown at all and no flashes in the playing of them either! :D :D :D
I am one happy camper.
So, what have I learned?
I have learned that the driver that was automatically used for my video card in lupu-113 and lupu-114 was not specific to my card.
It was a matter of a driver that was almost right that must have caused the problem.
[/b]
Last edited by 8-bit on Mon 03 May 2010, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm

#557 Post by Béèm »

I thought it may have been a locale issue but it is not, I cahnged my locale to nl_BE@euro and drive info was there, but of course it was always there, I may try pfix=ram.

It is certainly not printing the info to the XML file for you so I don't know which way to go now.. I'll take a look at the scripts that generate that XML file.

Cheers
Thank you, micko.
From my previous post you can see, that all was well about the size until I did run the Drive Icon Manager to realign the misaligned drive icons.
Success.
Time savers:

tronkel

#558 Post by tronkel »

@01micko

Thanks for the updated browser-default pet.
Looking very good. Can't find anything wrong so far.
It's also extremely small, so can be easily justified for inclusion in the ISO.

Regards

Tronkel
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

01micko

#559 Post by 01micko »

haha, good to see tronkel.

Give it a vigorous workout if you can, It will handle other browsers too if I put in the code for it. (A scroll bar will appear automatically if there are more than 4 entries). At the moment I am only testing for the 4 provided, but I have successfully used Midori compiled by technosaurus and also srware Iron works in Lupu. Plenty of others too, I just need to add the test.

Cheers

Béèm

#560 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:

Cheers
Thank you, micko.
From my previous post you can see, that all was well about the size until I did run the Drive Icon Manager to realign the misaligned drive icons.
Success.
Hi Again,

I like to complicate things. :wink:

I tried lucid 114 on my Medion MD8818 desktop.

Size was indicated, but having the desktop drive misalignment issue, I redraw them with the desktop drive icon manager.

And yes, size for the HDD ntfs and vfat partitions was 0GB, but I had a vfat formatted CF-card in the PC as well.
For this partition the size was displayed.
Well, well.

Success anyway.
Time savers: