Quirky 021 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: quirky 22 frugal session not saved

#41 Post by BarryK »

Béèm wrote:Already reported before.

When starting with pfix=ram at the end of the session the panel to create a save file isn't displayed and a message is issued session not saved

The circumvention I found is to do a first boot with pfix=ram and psubdir=
I then get the panel to create a save file
Once a save file created, the psubdir= isn't needed anymore

It's kinda annoying as f.e. Lucid doesn't have this issue, so when installing a new quirky, I forget about this.
This is another one that I can't reproduce. If I don't get this problem, then I can't fix it. I certainly have no idea theoretically why it would happen.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: quirky 22 frugal SNS netw config not retained between bo

#42 Post by BarryK »

Béèm wrote:When configuring with SNS the internet connection, at next boot this configuration is lost and has to be done again.
I am not sure, but I think this has been reported earlier.
I haven't had this problem. I doubt that the configuration is "lost", it is just that the network connection script at bootup is failing to make the connection.

After you have configured your connection with SNS, you should see an entry in file /etc/simple_network_setup/connections.

At bootup, /usr/local/simple_network_setup/rc.network is run, which reads the 'connections' file and tries to make a connection from the information in it.

So, if you have booted up and failed to get a connection, try running this in a terminal:

# /usr/local/simple_network_setup/rc.network

...see if there are any error messages.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#43 Post by BarryK »

aarf wrote:q21 has this same linking error as lupu113
I looked at your post in the Lupu thread, however you have not explained it completely. Just posting a picture showing the error means little. What operation did you perform to cause this error?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

quirky 22 frugal desktop drive icons don't give size

#44 Post by Béèm »

quirky 22 frugal desktop drive icons don't give size

Thank you for your reply.
I forgot to say I have this after the first boot with pfix=ram already.
At this point my Belgium keyboard is selected as well as the country locale nl_BE@euro: Dutch,Belgium
Another (wild?) idea: was quirky 13 the first one with fbpanel in stead of JWM? As before the 13 I didn't have that problem.

probepart -k gives

Code: Select all

# probepart -k
/dev/sda1|ntfs|22695088
/dev/sda2|vfat|13245120
/dev/sdb1|vfat|78140128
/dev/sdb2|ext3|78140160
/dev/sdb3|none|1
/dev/sdb4|ntfs|27262305
/dev/sdb5|ext3|10482381
/dev/sdb6|vfat|78140128
/dev/sdb7|ext2|40403443
/dev/sr0|none|1048575
#
Look good I suppose

Then I tried to find /usr/bin/pup_event_frontend_d: , but I only found /usr/bin/pup_event_frontend_d (no double dot) in /sbin not in /usr/bin

# find / |grep pup_event_frontend
/sbin/pup_event_frontend_d
/initrd/pup_ro2/sbin/pup_event_frontend_d
The code you reference is indeed in this script.

I tried to execute the script in a terminal and get this

# sh pup_frontend_d
sh: pup_frontend_d: No such file or directory
# find / |grep pup_event_frontend:
# pwd
/sbin
# 
Don't know quite well how to diagnose on further.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: quirky 22 frugal session not saved

#45 Post by Béèm »

BarryK wrote:
Béèm wrote:Already reported before.

When starting with pfix=ram at the end of the session the panel to create a save file isn't displayed and a message is issued session not saved

The circumvention I found is to do a first boot with pfix=ram and psubdir=
I then get the panel to create a save file
Once a save file created, the psubdir= isn't needed anymore

It's kinda annoying as f.e. Lucid doesn't have this issue, so when installing a new quirky, I forget about this.
This is another one that I can't reproduce. If I don't get this problem, then I can't fix it. I certainly have no idea theoretically why it would happen.
I understand when you aren't able to reproduce the issue it's difficult to solve. As I have a circumvention, it's ok for me.
Time savers:

Béèm

#46 Post by Béèm »

BarryK wrote:
Béèm wrote:When configuring with SNS the internet connection, at next boot this configuration is lost and has to be done again.
I haven't had this problem. I doubt that the configuration is "lost", it is just that the network connection script at bootup is failing to make the connection.

After you have configured your connection with SNS, you should see an entry in file /etc/simple_network_setup/connections.

At bootup, /usr/local/simple_network_setup/rc.network is run, which reads the 'connections' file and tries to make a connection from the information in it.

So, if you have booted up and failed to get a connection, try running this in a terminal:

I looked in /etc/simple_network_setup/connections and the configuration info was in there.
So I rebooted in order to apply your tip and to my surprise for the first time the connection was made automatically.
So if after subsequent reboots I have the issue again, I know what to do to diagnose further.
Time savers:

alec78

Re: Quirky021 - SamsungX05 - i810 Driver

#47 Post by alec78 »

BarryK wrote:
alec78 wrote:Hi all,
@BarryK
Barry, there is still something amiss with xorgwizard.
You may not remember but in the Q013 thread I reported that after following your instructions,dated 31/3/10, the X05 would run with the Intel i810 driver.
In the Quirky 018 thread I reported that no matter what I did xorgwizard would revert to the vesa driver.
Again in Quirky 021 xorgwizard reverts to the vesa driver. This time it does remove the intel driver from /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers and inserts the i810 driver, but it applies the vesa driver.
I tried changing vesa to i810 in xorg.conf, but that did not work. Had to run xorgwizard to get graphics.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
I deleted the vesa driver, result a black screen, I had to do a fresh boot from the CD.
Interestingly, when I plugged in the dongle with the save file on, and looked inside the save file all looked fine, with just the libi810 file at /usr/X11R7/lib and the i810 driver at /drivers.
Cheers
Looks like you will have to manually remove /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so.

Hmmm, that might not work. The Xorg probe only chooses vesa as a last resort, so it is thinking that i810 is not suitable. So, I don't know if removing vesa will force it to choose i810.

aarf

#48 Post by aarf »

BarryK wrote:
I looked at your post in the Lupu thread, however you have not explained it completely. Just posting a picture showing the error means little. What operation did you perform to cause this error?
this is lupu112
top left is puppy symlinked on an ext3 partition.
bottom right is an attempt which fails to symlink apuppy on a FAT partition
the space in the file name My Documents may or may not contribute to the error. subsequent linking attempts with FAT folders that dont have a space in the file name have also failed on Lupu112, but some test were possible in lupu113 when no space was in the file name.
Attachments
symlink.error.jpg
(50.88 KiB) Downloaded 1190 times

Béèm

#49 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:
BarryK wrote:

I looked in /etc/simple_network_setup/connections and the configuration info was in there.
So I rebooted in order to apply your tip and to my surprise for the first time the connection was made automatically.
So if after subsequent reboots I have the issue again, I know what to do to diagnose further.
When experimenting with a left vertical tray, I got the issue that I had no tittle bar for the applications. I restored to a bottom horizontal one, but I have still that issue. So I will have to stat with a fres quirky 22 save file.
I then reverted back to quirky 18 with which I have the SNS issue also.
I checked the connections file and all info in there is correct
I then executed the rc.network as instructed by you in a terminal and I have an error message, see below.

# ls
help_security  rc.network  sns
# sh rc.network
Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.
dhcpcd: version 5.1.5 starting
dhcpcd: eth1: broadcasting for a lease
dhcpcd: eth1: offered 192.168.1.3 from 192.168.1.1
dhcpcd: eth1: acknowledged 192.168.1.3 from 192.168.1.1
dhcpcd: eth1: checking for 192.168.1.3
dhcpcd: eth1: leased 192.168.1.3 for 172800 seconds
dhcpcd: forking to background
#
As I got an IP, the connection is working.
I will have to see what will happen on subsequent boots.
Time savers:

JustGreg

#50 Post by JustGreg »

With my Acer Aspire Revo with Nvidia Ion graphics, I found with Quirky 021 and nvidia-195.36.15-k2.6.33.2-q1.pet installed that the installed nvidia-settings tool would fail with a "segmentation fault". I managed to get nvidia-settings tool to run by deleting this link:
/usr/X11R7/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.1
Running the nvidia-settings in a console terminal, it ran and worked properly (I changed resolution), but, there was a missing library error. Restoring the link, /usr/X11R7/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.1 to usr/X11R7/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.195.36.15, resulted in the nvidia-settings tool failing to work (the segmentation fault error).

Using Quirky 022, which has only the nvidia driver items, but no nividia-settings tool. I got nvidia-settings to work by coping from the Quirky021 nvidia pet installation, nvidia-settings to the Quirky022 save file directory /root/my-applications/bin. The two libraries ( /usr/X11R7/lib/libGL.so.195.36.15, /usr/X11R7/lib/libGLcore.so.195.36.15) to /root/my-applications/lib. I created links /root/my-applications/lib/libGL.so.1 and /root/my-applications/libGLcore.so.1 to the needed libraries. The nvidia-settings tool now works in Quirky022. Adding these items requires about 25 Megabytes of storage.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: quirky 22 frugal desktop drive icons don't give size

#51 Post by BarryK »

Béèm wrote:quirky 22 frugal desktop drive icons don't give size

Thank you for your reply.
I forgot to say I have this after the first boot with pfix=ram already.
At this point my Belgium keyboard is selected as well as the country locale nl_BE@euro: Dutch,Belgium
Another (wild?) idea: was quirky 13 the first one with fbpanel in stead of JWM? As before the 13 I didn't have that problem.

probepart -k gives

# probepart -k
/dev/sda1|ntfs|22695088
/dev/sda2|vfat|13245120
/dev/sdb1|vfat|78140128
/dev/sdb2|ext3|78140160
/dev/sdb3|none|1
/dev/sdb4|ntfs|27262305
/dev/sdb5|ext3|10482381
/dev/sdb6|vfat|78140128
/dev/sdb7|ext2|40403443
/dev/sr0|none|1048575
#
Look good I suppose
Try this. Boot with pfix=ram, then open a terminal and type:

# export LANG=C
# probepart -k

BarryK
Puppy Master

#52 Post by BarryK »

aarf wrote:
BarryK wrote:
this is lupu112
top left is puppy symlinked on an ext3 partition.
bottom right is an attempt which fails to symlink apuppy on a FAT partition
the space in the file name My Documents may or may not contribute to the error. subsequent linking attempts with FAT folders that dont have a space in the file name have also failed on Lupu112, but some test were possible in lupu113 when no space was in the file name.
This is not a bug, it is a limitation of the FAT and NTFS filesystems. They do not support symlinks.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#53 Post by BarryK »

JustGreg wrote:With my Acer Aspire Revo with Nvidia Ion graphics, I found with Quirky 021 and nvidia-195.36.15-k2.6.33.2-q1.pet installed that the installed nvidia-settings tool would fail with a "segmentation fault". I managed to get nvidia-settings tool to run by deleting this link:
/usr/X11R7/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.1
Running the nvidia-settings in a console terminal, it ran and worked properly (I changed resolution), but, there was a missing library error. Restoring the link, /usr/X11R7/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.1 to usr/X11R7/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.195.36.15, resulted in the nvidia-settings tool failing to work (the segmentation fault error).

Using Quirky 022, which has only the nvidia driver items, but no nividia-settings tool. I got nvidia-settings to work by coping from the Quirky021 nvidia pet installation, nvidia-settings to the Quirky022 save file directory /root/my-applications/bin. The two libraries ( /usr/X11R7/lib/libGL.so.195.36.15, /usr/X11R7/lib/libGLcore.so.195.36.15) to /root/my-applications/lib. I created links /root/my-applications/lib/libGL.so.1 and /root/my-applications/libGLcore.so.1 to the needed libraries. The nvidia-settings tool now works in Quirky022. Adding these items requires about 25 Megabytes of storage.
My latest full Nvidia PET is 'nvidia-195.36.15-k2.6.33.2-1-q1.pet' -- did you try that?

JustGreg

#54 Post by JustGreg »

Barry K: My latest full Nvidia PET is 'nvidia-195.36.15-k2.6.33.2-1-q1.pet' -- did you try that?
Yes, I used your pet to install the nvidia driver and tools in Quirky 021. After completing the installation, it worked properly in Quirky 021.

Quirky 022 was released, I did a frugal installation of it to a usb hard drive. It work well with my system. But, I noticed that it did not have the nvidia-settings tool. So, I copied the files from Quirky 021 (by mounting the save file) to /root/my-applications directory. I kept trying files until I got the nvidia-settings tool to work. I found the library, libnvidia-tls.so.195.36.15, caused nvidia-settings to fail to run with a segmentation fault.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Jim1911

#55 Post by Jim1911 »

Barry K wrote:My latest full Nvidia PET is 'nvidia-195.36.15-k2.6.33.2-1-q1.pet' -- did you try that?
Does this pet have the nvidia-settings tool?
Thanks,
Jim

Tui

#56 Post by Tui »

Problem with not seeing my rom-drives on the desktop.

I have two drives in my desktop machine, one CD-RW and one DVD-RW,
with this version of quirky only one shows up on the desktop, and that
is sr0 (cd-rw) I think! I was hoping that sr1 might also be there, not so !

When it comes to using the latest version of pburn and calling on properties I have sr0 as cd-rw and dvd-rw as sr1 so maybe that looks
ok!

But if I put a cd into sr0 and return to tools in pburn and call to eject the
cd, this call is sent to the DVD drive and not the CD drive
So what's going on here? I also note that with a disc placed in drive that
a mounted icon does not popup! - The mount icon only comes up when
called from through the mount command.

Cheers Tui
Last edited by Tui on Sun 02 May 2010, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#57 Post by nooby »

I tested q021 on AOpen mz915 something. A barebone shoebox computer that have some intel 910 and 915 chip serie in them.

It died when I tested xorg and had to reboot it and chose vesa.

But didn't dare to continue testing because it reported that the cpu temperature was critically high.

I tested using Antix 8.5 frugal install and it reports my temp is -107 so that seems high too if it is Celsius but maybe it was Fahrenheit? no warning of it to be high

I test it now in puppy431 instead to see what temperature that one gives -100C on pupp431 so that is very hot. Sad face

How come it is that hot even on standard? I can hear that a fan is running.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

`f00

#58 Post by `f00 »

ref@Tui - on my desktop, pmount sometimes gives 'weird' size on an optical drive (until disc is mounted successfully), but usually the drive is 'there' if media is in the drive. Makes sense, since the drive is merely hardware and not a filesystem until..

@nooby - would cpu frquency scaling help? (never used myself, but some laptops need it by reports)

___100430 - firstlook___
Xorg gave "radeon" for driver on probe->test - then had the usual edit of xorg.conf to get a readable test-screen-display (need to tweak the h&v refresh to known-good at least). Xorg got the primary monitor id'd but 'unknown' on vendor and board for both vidcards (and switched the bus :| ) .. but nicer range of options (compared to warys and q013). Xorg will also accept "ati" for driver

Retrovol popped up on fbpanel-bar after openbox got a refresh from installing a leafpad dotpet. Fonts look nice and crisp, fbpanel menu-icons are all there from the start (and leafpad jumped in without any further ado).

Jwm looks good - funny, the default fbpanel looks kind of like the jwm-tray (a few pngs are a little fuzzy when downscaled). Very responsive.

Pmount tabview is a bit off on the tablabels again (at least on initial run).
---fwiw, display oki---
VIDEO REPORT: Quirky, version 021

Chip description:
01:09.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 SE] (Secondary) (rev 01)
02:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200] (Secondary) (rev 01)

Driver used by Xorg:
radeon

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: 1024x768 Depth: 24
---end---
What may be a trifle confusing wording in fbpanel config, taskbartab - at bottom, max width of perhaps task'button'(s) rather than taskbar. Other parts of fbpanel may still need some work, possibly - for me on this first look it keeps some settings and 'loses' others at times and autohide may not work as expected (expected is that the panel will show when the mouse-pointer touches the screen edge that the panel is on .. it may simply need to settle a bit since it's oki after leaving it be). Plus it seems odd that the config+ok and 'refresh' processes stay up after they do their job.

GNOME-mplayer plays a commercial DvD oki for me, sound was a bit soft even with alsa spec'd and the movie had to be started from the 'open DvD with menus' for intelligible content to be displayed/heard (another movie opened just fine). Fullscreen fine and controls autohid nicely, but the screen blanked as if pupx was doing its screenblanker thing (probably should fiddle that and re-X and get it right before trying to watch a movie without it blanking every so often). videoCDs(mpg), wmv, avi, most audio formats ok - pretty good for d'n'd AV.

___100501 - more___
With an adjusted copy of q018 savefile, a few minor fixes (the usual tmp/versioncleanup was helpful).

Jwm still has corner artefacts when xcompmgr -n is used (it may 'settle in'). xcompmgr seems slightly 'heavier' in cpu-draw overall than in w020. Nice to have jwm tray(s) and menu, more solid than fbpanel fussiness.

Most other wms work very well. Pekwm 111 may need a recompile or it could have gotten futzed a bit, somewhere along the way the window menu got corrupted :| but other features work.

A few dicey moments with fs error mssgs on reboots/saves - even went thru the xorg mess to get to a clean q021 desktop rather than hardoff (does the error-checking system still wipe savefiles? I didn't want to find out after the fact that I should have made a current backup :lol: ).

vidcard0 - RV280 (aka ATI Radeon 9200), AGP
vidcard1 - not used, but also RV280 (switched off in BIOS - aka Radeon 9200SE), PCI (old-style)
soundcard - emu10k1 (aka Creative Audigy 2 ZS or SB0350)
boot/save method - liveCDrw, usbflash savefile quirkysave-21from18.2fs
limitations - no printer, no internet connection

nooby

#59 Post by nooby »

another feedback on quirky 021.

I saved it in ext3 on a ntfs hdd but every time me shut down it says
Journal commit I/O error
but it does survive those errors but feel insecure about them.

What could be going on?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

chrismt

#60 Post by chrismt »

@ Barry

Can you please make Pidgin work in Quirky?

I tried different pets but nothing is working

Regards