Lucid Puppy 113 Bugs, Fixes, and Poll

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects

Which describes your experience with Lucid Puppy graphics?

Poll ended at Fri 30 Apr 2010, 20:49

I am using the automatic desktop
67%
I am using the desktop created by xorgwizard
33%
I can't get a usable desktop
No votes

Total votes: 21

pa_mcclamrock

Re: non US keyboard selection.

#41 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Béèm wrote:I prefer that at least the keyboard can be selected during the first boot as it was before.
I agree, although I've got a US keyboard. The idea of booting directly to the desktop is to make things easier for users. If it turns out to make things harder for a considerable number of users instead, it should be dropped because it's a step in the wrong direction, not the right direction. It appears that booting directly to the desktop does make things harder for a considerable number of users, like those with non-US keyboards and those who don't want or can't use the screen resolution they initially get (about 35%, according to the poll right now).
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

01micko

#42 Post by 01micko »

Ok guys and gals...

I got the swatter out and eliminated one of those nasties..

The dreaded timezone bug :roll:

It was all but a simple symlink, (which took me an age to find :evil: )

Try the attached dot pet and report results please. Pfix=ram is best, but it doesn't matter if you still have the bug in a saved configuration, try it anyway.

Cheers

pet removed.. it was silly
Last edited by 01micko on Fri 30 Apr 2010, 21:49, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Desktop drive icons information

#43 Post by Béèm »

01micko wrote:Béèm

It works for me, did you set your locale yet? Pmount crashes if you don't, maybe that is related?

Cheers
Hi Micko,
My locale is set as always to nl_BE@euro :Dutch, Belgium.
It started as well in quirky as in Lucid some versions back.
Found back the comments in quirky 10
Pmount works without crash.

Bernard
Attachments
Lucid-113-drive-icons.png
(31.58 KiB) Downloaded 845 times
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Tasgarth

#44 Post by Tasgarth »

01micko wrote :
The dreaded timezone bug Rolling Eyes
It was all but a simple symlink, (which took me an age to find Evil or Very Mad )
It's OK and after a reboot it's OK

Thanks

aarf

#45 Post by aarf »

boot to desktop and keyboard issues.
my thoughts: still boot to desktop but enable keyboard to be set in the initial start-up wizard similar to how time zone is set now.

8-bit

#46 Post by 8-bit »

With lupu 113, no visible volume icon in tray.
Installed retrovolume and got volume icon, mixer, and all worked.
But.....
I get smooth playback full screen from HULU, and the video channels that come with puppy, but I still get slo-mo effect in full screen Youtube.
That is using Youtube's full screen icon.
Also, it is a real pain trying to get back to windowed and I have to hit ESC a number of times before I get any response.

This is with the default Nvidia driver that was autoinstalled.
My PC is AMD Athalon X2 4800 Dual-Core Processor and 3 gigs of ram, so I know it is not my PC.
Also, the same Youtube stuff plays fine in Puppy 431 with SeaMonkey 2.04 installed on it.
And it uses the default shockwave flash and futuresplash plugins that came with it.
Also: In Puppy 431, I downloaded, and installed the driver directly from Nvidia for my specific graphics card and set it to 32bit color.

8-bit

#47 Post by 8-bit »

I am back with bad news.
I went to Barry's site and downloaded the kernel source and the NVIDIA installer told me the kernel was not compiled with the same version of gcc that was included in the devx for lupu-113.
Also, it did not recognize the devx source files as being correct.
So how do I try to install the factory NVIDIA package specific to my graphics card?

01micko

#48 Post by 01micko »

ok, timezone bugfix take 2

I can't work out why this fix works but it is needed in Lupu.

Test please.
Attachments
timezone-set-bugfix-2.pet
(2.06 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#49 Post by playdayz »

I am back with bad news.
I went to Barry's site and downloaded the kernel source and the NVIDIA installer told me the kernel was not compiled with the same version of gcc that was included in the devx for lupu-113.
Also, it did not recognize the devx source files as being correct.
So how do I try to install the factory NVIDIA package specific to my graphics card?
You are not alone 8-bit. Someone else has tried also. Lucid Pup is a hybrid and that is not always good. The kernel is from Barry with gcc4.3 and the majority of the binaries are from Ubuntu--well, Ubuntu just upgraded gcc to 4.4 (or maybe that is 4.4.3 and 4.4.4) There are ways around it I understand, but they would take someone a chunk of time--it wouldn't get on my radar until after 5.0 is released. i would like to have it of course, but it is "not trivial" as they say.

abushcrafter

#50 Post by abushcrafter »

Bug: Gxine fails to play Theora video. bigbuckbunny makes for a good source of test video. You can also use ffmpeg2theora to convert your existing videos into Theora to test with.

8-bit

#51 Post by 8-bit »

playdayz wrote:
You are not alone 8-bit. Someone else has tried also. Lucid Pup is a hybrid and that is not always good. The kernel is from Barry with gcc4.3 and the majority of the binaries are from Ubuntu--well, Ubuntu just upgraded gcc to 4.4 (or maybe that is 4.4.3 and 4.4.4) There are ways around it I understand, but they would take someone a chunk of time--it wouldn't get on my radar until after 5.0 is released. i would like to have it of course, but it is "not trivial" as they say.
Does that mean you used the newer version to compile lupu-113?
If not, why wasn't the older version of gcc put in the devx file?

If someone wanted to compile a driver, they would be out of luck then?
Since gcc is a binary in devx, include the correct one used to compile everything. If the kernel was compiled with one version and the rest was compiled with another, we are just asking for trouble!

James C

#52 Post by James C »

Installed the timezone-bugfix pet on my frugal install..........have rebooted several times and the time is staying correct. :)

aarf

#53 Post by aarf »

01micko wrote:ok, timezone bugfix take 2

I can't work out why this fix works but it is needed in Lupu.

Test please.
after using package manager to uninstall bugfix 1 and rebooting twice, time is still correct so if i install bugfix 2 it wont prove anything!

Code: Select all

# PuppyBrowser
Segmentation fault
#

this has appeared from somewhere and puppybrowser crashes on opening.

package manager is another thing that is affected by the no alt+dragging of windows incapacity.

aarf

#54 Post by aarf »

lupu113 file system FAT
fairly certain that this is the space in the url name error that has been found and fixed ages ago.
it is getting annoying to have to find bugs over and over and over. is getting to the stage where i just wont test anything that has been rolled back!
Attachments
linkerror.jpg
(19.22 KiB) Downloaded 967 times

8-bit

#55 Post by 8-bit »

Back again in lupu-114.
Youtube now plays full screen with no slowdown!
But...
Volume Control on ptray missing icon.
If I mouse over the area where it should be, I get a popup of the present volume. If I left-click there, I get a volume scroll bar that seems to work.
If I right-click there, the mixer window comes up.
I did not remove the absvolume file I copied over to 113's pupsave.
So the volume thing report may be wrong.

I am still curious as to gcc version used to compile kernel vs one included in devx.
Is the same gcc version that was used to compile the kernel included in lupu_devx_114.sfs? Don't know if I got the devx name exactly right, but you know what I mean.
It is important that the kernel was compiled with the same version of gcc that the rest of lupu was.

playdayz

#56 Post by playdayz »

am still curious as to gcc version used to compile kernel vs one included in devx.
Is the same gcc version that was used to compile the kernel included in lupu_devx_114.sfs? Don't know if I got the devx name exactly right, but you know what I mean.
It is important that the kernel was compiled with the same version of gcc that the rest of lupu was.
Hey 8-bit. The reason it is called Lucid Puppy is that we are using the binary files that comprise Ubuntu Lucid Lynx. So, we did not compile anything. Barry compiled the 2.6.33.2 kernel and we use that along with some of the basic Puppy scripts such as xorgwizard. (Actually, I did compile Abiword.) Trying to put Puppy "on top of" the Ubuntu files presents problems as well as opportunities. No one had thought of this problem with gcc until I can't remember who found it and then you found it again. Yes, something should be done--but it has not come to the top of my to-do list yet. If the graphics finally settle down then I will have time to go on to problems such as this one. It sucks not being Barry ;-) But it may be as simple as reverting to the previous gcc. We also have to "rank" or "triage" bugs as to how many people they will effect. This one will only effect people who are compiling kernel modules such as the Nivida driver--we want to take care of those people of course, but on the other hand there are not that many of them.

In general, I am not sure how much benefit the proprietary Nvidia driver is in Lucid Puppy as it stands right now. I was able to compile the ATI Catalyst driver in an earlier version of Karmic Puppy, but there was not that much that required the speed of that driver. Now, if we can work on compiz for Lucid Pup 5.0.1 or 5.1 then we would definitely need the proprietary drivers for it to work at all--because compiz requires hardware acceleration., but not much else does in lucid pup right now. So, the answer is, someone might get it done for 5.0, but it is much likelier for subsequent versions. Thanks.

8-bit

#57 Post by 8-bit »

In lupu-114, the graphics now seem to be great.
I also posted a fix for the missing volume icon in the lupu-114 section.
And it works!! :D

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#58 Post by Béèm »

aarf wrote:lupu113 file system FAT
fairly certain that this is the space in the url name error that has been found and fixed ages ago.
it is getting annoying to have to find bugs over and over and over. is getting to the stage where i just wont test anything that has been rolled back!
I am not sure if I understand fully your installation.

1° a symlink can't be made on a fat partition. If this is what you try to do, the error is logic.

2° I always have seen that names with spaces in it are to be enclosed by " ".
Time savers:

Béèm

Lucid 114, seamonkey and firefox

#59 Post by Béèm »

In lucid 114, just installed on the desktop MD8818, I can't run SeaMonkey nor FireFox as usual.
Both are installed outside the save file to conserve space and do run correctly in other puppies.

After the usual missing libraries, which I corrected, I have now in both bus error.

No idea how to solve this.
Someone does?
Time savers:

playdayz

#60 Post by playdayz »

In lucid 114, just installed on the desktop MD8818, I can't run SeaMonkey nor FireFox as usual.
Both are installed outside the save file to conserve space and do run correctly in other puppies.

After the usual missing libraries, which I corrected, I have now in both bus error.

No idea how to solve this.
Someone does?
Hi Beem, i have always done that also--until now. But both browsers should run fine without any extra libraries--that is one of the strengths of Lucid Pup. Maybe the extra libraries are what is causing the error??? I will test.