Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 15 Sep 2014, 20:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Wine
Page 2 of 30 [448 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 28, 29, 30 Next
green_dome

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr 2010, 22:41    Post subject: Wine 1.1.43  

Here is my attempt at compiling wine 1.1.43.

wine-1.1.43-i486.pet (release 1) - mirror 1
wine_DEV-1.1.43-i486.pet (release 1) (development package) - mirror 1
wine_DOC-1.1.43-i486.pet (release 1) (documentation package) - mirror 1
wine-1.1.43-i486-sfs3.sfs (release 1) - mirror 1
wine-1.1.43-i486-sfs4.sfs (release 1) - mirror 1

I compiled using puplet: Puppies 4.31.1 by forum member 'ttuuxxx'

I specifically used the files:
puppies-431.1-main-Xserver.iso
devx_430.sfs

puppies-431.1-main-Xserver.iso - [forum post] [mirror 1] username:puppy | password:linux (you will have to type it twice) [mirror 2] [mirror 3]

devx_430.sfs - [forum post] [mirror 1] username:puppy | password:linux (you will have to type it twice) [mirror 2] [mirror 3]

I installed these packages before compiling:
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.116.1-i486.pet
jack-audio-connection-kit_DEV-0.116.1-i486.pet
openldap-2.4.13-i486.pet
openldap_DEV-2.4.13-i486.pet
xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet
xorg_xorg_full_dri_DEV-7.3.pet

When compiling, I used
Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr --build=i486-t2-linux-gnu --x-includes=/usr/X11R7/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R7/lib --with-x --without-hal --without-gnutls --without-capi --disable-tests

Menu entries, Color Setter, and other stuff I got from the file 'winegoodies.tar.gz' provided by forum member 'technosaurus'. The only changes I made to the contents of that file were to delete the file 'Wine_regedit.desktop'. That appears to be a duplicate file. I also deleted the file 'winetricks' and replaced it with the updated one.

For help with Gecko, look here

I use the console to install packages from winetricks. For help with this I use
Code:
winetricks -h
[source]

my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8400GS, so I install the 'NVIDIA-190.42-k2.6.30.5-1.pet' from this post.

Last edited by green_dome on Thu 06 May 2010, 22:10; edited 1 time in total
green_dome

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr 2010, 22:48    Post subject:  

'Liboicl'
The game 'FlatOut' would not run when I used your wine-1.1.43-i486.pet. It complained about a debugger. My guess is that the game does not like the configure options that you used when you compiled wine.

It is nice to see others compiling and learning.
enhu

PostPosted: Mon 03 May 2010, 20:11    Post subject:  

which works good for old computer?
sfs or pet?
KusaNoKaito

PostPosted: Mon 03 May 2010, 22:09    Post subject:  

WOW this wine pet is amazingly stable!

@enhu I think they both would work just as good, .sfs are a pain in a full HD installation. So if you have a full HD installation, go with the .pet.
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 05 May 2010, 13:43    Post subject:  

Thanks for this great Wine green_dome. I just uploaded it as one of the "featured" programs in Quickpet in Lucid Puppy 115. I had been using the Ubuntu binary, because that is one thing Lucid pup is about--to be able to use the ubuntu binaries to make it easy to configure programs for puppy. But someone int he forum had trouble with it so I tried yours. No comparison. I guess it is possible an instability could show up but somehow I doubt it. You add all the extras to make Wine a very usable "Windows Compatibility Layer." I was an advocate for Crossover so I appreciate a good wine Wink

If you ever happen to have some free time, there is one thing that would be great, if you could add the color scheme of Lucid pup to the Wine Color Setter, or probably best yet, use it as the default in a version for Lucid. I don't know how hard that would be, so if it is a hassle don't bother. It is enough to get a very usable Wine. Thanks much. If you needed the color numbers, you could tell me which things to sample and I could do that to help. I also changed the name slightly to conform tot he other programs in Quickpet. Thanks again. Oh, it won't show up until Lucid Pup 116 which should be this Friday.
pa_mcclamrock

PostPosted: Thu 06 May 2010, 17:11    Post subject:  

Is there a good tutorial or step-by-step guide somewhere on how to use Wine, beginning from absolute zero knowledge about things like how to install Windows programs in a Linux filesystem (if possible) so you can then run them with Wine? If so, thanks in advance to whoever can fill me in!

Visit Pa Penguin's Icebox: http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/icebox.html
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 06 May 2010, 19:04    Post subject:  

Hey Pa_mcclamrock, fancy meeting you here. This is the wine that will be in Quickpet 1.7 tomorrow in LP 116. green_dome did such a great job setting it up that I recommend this. Just download the installer for the windows program you want to run and click it.

Foobar2000 is a music player that I know installs well. Many others too of course. After it installs you can go ahead and run it. it will make some desktop files but I am not sure exactly where they are. I know you can find them in /root/.wine/drive_c/user/desktop (or something close to that. It might even put something in the menu or on the esktop.
vovchik

PostPosted: Fri 07 May 2010, 18:31    Post subject:  

Dear green_dome,

I just noticed that Wine 1.1.44 has been released. Any chance of getting your pet?

With thanks in advance,
vovchik
MU

PostPosted: Sat 08 May 2010, 05:40    Post subject:  

tried .43 in pupeee, works fine.
Installed MS-Office 2003, Word and Excel work. If you get an "IOPL" error then, add "gdiplus" in the libraries as "native". I must check this setup more intensively, as we think of using it in our company on notebooks.

People that work outside then get a personalized USB stick with Puppy, so they can catch their mails using Zarafa (a Linux webbased client) via openvpn, and use Word/Excel for their documents.
Using such a setup reduces the risk of briging virii to the company, saves us XP licenses, and gives us full controll over the system they use.

This is just a first idea, and I just created a prototype to present it for further decisions.

A screenshot shows the current setup Smile
Mark
fbw-client-study.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  fbw-client-study.jpg 
Filesize  119.2 KB 
Downloaded  997 Time(s) 

ken geometrics

PostPosted: Sat 08 May 2010, 12:54    Post subject:  

pa_mcclamrock wrote:
Is there a good tutorial or step-by-step guide somewhere on how to use Wine, beginning from absolute zero knowledge about things like how to install Windows programs in a Linux filesystem (if possible) so you can then run them with Wine? If so, thanks in advance to whoever can fill me in!

You can get started with just installing the wine-#.#.#.pet that is the latest.

Once you have the wine system installed, the next step is to find the installer for the program you want. This is some windows thing that ends in exe.

Here is where it gets a little complex. For many programs all you need to do is run this installer using wine. The way I usually do it is to copy the file into the "my-applications" folder and then bring up the command prompt and type the following:

cd my-applications
wine "TheNameOfTheFile.exe"

The usual installer should run and do all the same things as it does under windows.

If the program is well written, the install should all work without trouble.

Once the install is done, you can run the program by a bunch more commands like this:

cd /root/.wine
#note the forward slashes and the dot
ls
#this should show the name like "drive_c"
cd drive_c
#now I will assume you told the installer for bogus.exe to install into
#c:\bogus
ls
#This will list the directory that bogus.exe got put into
cd bogus
wine "bogus.exe"
#.... other option ....
#If you put the program into C:\Program Files, you type
cd "Program Files"
ls
cd "bogus"
wine "bogus.exe"

this should run the program. If it doesn't work, you may see some error messages that will be helpful to figuring out why it didn't work.

The most common cause of trouble is that the program actually contains some sort of error that the maker gets away with under windows but Linux won't let slide. This is often an access to a bit of memory that the program doesn't have rights to.

I hope this will help you get started.

There will be an easier way to run it but the command line method lets you see the errors if any.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 08 May 2010, 16:10    Post subject: How to use Wine  

pa_mcclamrock wrote:

Go here:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Wine

Look for how to configure wine lower on the page.
The "winecfg utility" is important to use. It allows you to setup how a program is run in wine. What version of windows to emulate for each program.
Liboicl

PostPosted: Tue 11 May 2010, 23:16    Post subject:  

green_dome wrote:
'Liboicl'
The game 'FlatOut' would not run when I used your wine-1.1.43-i486.pet. It complained about a debugger. My guess is that the game does not like the configure options that you used when you compiled wine.

It is nice to see others compiling and learning.

Glad to get some feedback. As I said in that post it was my first .pet package.

EDIT: New version wine-1.1.44.pet
green_dome

PostPosted: Sun 16 May 2010, 17:52    Post subject: Wine 1.1.44  

my attempt at compiling wine 1.1.44.

wine-1.1.44-i486.pet (release 1) - mirror 1
wine_DEV-1.1.44-i486.pet (release 1) (development package) - mirror 1
wine_DOC-1.1.44-i486.pet (release 1) (documentation package) - mirror 1
wine-1.1.44-i486-sfs3.sfs (release 1) - mirror 1
wine-1.1.44-i486-sfs4.sfs (release 1) - mirror 1

I compiled using puplet: Puppies 4.31.1 by forum member 'ttuuxxx'

I specifically used the files:
puppies-431.1-main-Xserver.iso
devx_430.sfs

puppies-431.1-main-Xserver.iso - [forum post] [mirror 1] username:puppy | password:linux (you will have to type it twice) [mirror 2] [mirror 3]

devx_430.sfs - [forum post] [mirror 1] username:puppy | password:linux (you will have to type it twice) [mirror 2] [mirror 3]

I installed these packages before compiling:
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.116.1-i486.pet
jack-audio-connection-kit_DEV-0.116.1-i486.pet
openldap-2.4.13-i486.pet
openldap_DEV-2.4.13-i486.pet
xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet
xorg_xorg_full_dri_DEV-7.3.pet

When compiling, I used
Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr --build=i486-t2-linux-gnu --x-includes=/usr/X11R7/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R7/lib --with-x --without-hal --without-gnutls --without-capi

Menu entries, Color Setter, and other stuff I got from the file 'winegoodies.tar.gz' provided by forum member 'technosaurus'. The only changes I made to the contents of that file were to delete the file 'Wine_regedit.desktop'. That appears to be a duplicate file. I also deleted the file 'winetricks' and replaced it with the updated one.

For help with Gecko, look here

I use the console to install packages from winetricks. For help with this I use
Code:
winetricks -h
[source]

my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8400GS, so I install the 'NVIDIA-190.42-k2.6.30.5-1.pet' from this post.
vovchik

PostPosted: Wed 19 May 2010, 12:05    Post subject:  

Dear green_dome,

As usual, your version works fine for me. Thanks.

With kind regards,
vovchik
vovchik

PostPosted: Sat 22 May 2010, 04:53    Post subject:  

Dear green_dome,

I just came upon this: http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.2-rc1. It looks as if 1.2 is out there, and there are many good changes - i.e. reimplementation of xlib cursors, fixes for alpha-blending in comctl32 etc., etc. Can you kindly perform your usual magic?

With thanks in advance,
vovchik
Page 2 of 30 [448 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 28, 29, 30 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Jump to: