Macpup Opera 2.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
runtt21

#61 Post by runtt21 »

I tried that But the battery module from 061 keep maxing out one of my cpu's .That is why I pulled it. Just keep an eye on it ,If it works for you GREAT.

Another review :

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/macpup-oper ... nt=Twitter

joel

#62 Post by joel »

It seems to work fine, It did look as if my cpu gadget was maxing out, but when I changed its "time between updates" from 1 second to .5 second it went down to what it should have been. Could just be an error with the CPU gadget. But at .5 it works fine.
I am not a Mac, not a PC... I am a Puppy. :idea:

runtt21

#63 Post by runtt21 »

I will give a try this weekend and see.THX !!!!

Still at #4 today but soooooo close to Fedora !!!! Cant wait till tomorrow!!!
Attachments
operaday5.jpg
(25.96 KiB) Downloaded 1058 times

smellyman

#64 Post by smellyman »

That would be pretty sweet to overtake Fedora.

runtt21

#65 Post by runtt21 »

The last version , Macpup Foxy 3.0 , did beat Fedora ,went up to #2 for a few days.

smellyman

#66 Post by smellyman »

Number 3 now. Passed Fedora. :D

runtt21

#67 Post by runtt21 »

Yep !! But Ubuntu had a major release today so we could start dropping off .
Attachments
operaday6.jpg
(72.78 KiB) Downloaded 1015 times

nooby

#68 Post by nooby »

Don't get me wrong.

Congrats to the huge interest your Macpup has generated on Distrowatch.

I was using Quirky 013 for weeks and then changed to Quirky 021 and like that one because it has a working NVidia driver for my Desktop.

I like Puppeee for the Acer One though.

I have installed Macpup but don't use it.

What does it have that Quirky 021 or latest Lucid does not have?

I mean why should I use it. What is in it for me?

As I said. No criticism just me curious on why I should use it?
In what way is it better than what I use now? Quirky 021
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

runtt21

#69 Post by runtt21 »

I cant answer your questions , That 's stuff you have to decide for your self.

We dont make puppylinux. We Make it beautiful. Its our use of E17 and the customizing we do to it that makes us who we are. Macpup is fast and functional and looks amazing. That is why we have done so well at Distrowatch and done as well as we have in the linux world outside of this forum.

New Video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKQkF6lEQts

WhoDo

#70 Post by WhoDo »

runtt21 wrote:I cant answer your questions , That 's stuff you have to decide for your self.

We dont make puppylinux. We Make it beautiful. Its our use of E17 and the customizing we do to it that makes us who we are. Macpup is fast and functional and looks amazing. That is why we have done so well at Distrowatch and done as well as we have in the linux world outside of this forum.

New Video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKQkF6lEQts
Good answer and good video. Sneeky does it again! 8)
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

runtt21

#71 Post by runtt21 »

I am very proud , we made it back to # 2 . :D

But we may not stay there very long seven version of ubuntu where released today. We will pay more attention to their release cycle for our next release. :lol:

Thank you to everyone who downloaded O2 . And Thank you very much to everyone that has help our little project. Ttuuxxx,Prit,CatDude,Puppyluvr,Mu,Sneekylinux,Verdegal37,WhoDo,Russoodle,and everyone else !!!!
Attachments
operaday7.jpg
(59.62 KiB) Downloaded 1075 times

russoodle

#72 Post by russoodle »

Congrats, runtt....it's great to see so much interest and i hope it hangs around for a while longer, in spite of big, fat *buntu..

:D

A bit OT (apologies, runtt):
Hello nooby....i found Quirky 013 worked better than anything else i'd tried on a Mac desktop, which was a pleasant surprise, (although i've also had Macpup Foxy3 running on it), but most of the time i like to run the Mac as a Mac...my laptop is a different story, however - there are currently about 7 frugal installs of various Puppy derivs (including a couple of Macpups) and one full Puppy hdd install...i use them all at different times either because they have a purpose for me or just because i like them and feel like using them :wink:

Everyone's needs are different though, so who can say categorically that one Pup is "better" than another? They're just personalised to suit the user's preferences, which makes for infinite choices...the beauty of Puppy altogether and half the fun..

So there you go - try as many as you like and stick with whichever works best for you....the rotation on my puptop is constantly changing :D
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

nooby

#73 Post by nooby »

Congrats to the rising interest. I guess it will benefit all the otehr puppies too. :)

Thanks to Runt and russoodle.

Yes I havew frugal install of many many puppies now and sooner or later one of them will be the individial best for me.

But it is frustrating that I stull have not learn how to place Firefox outside of pupsave in a way that it save all the bookmarks and simplemail and such.
Each time I try a new puppie I have to start all over with xmarks and simplemail install and setting up and none of the emails I had before is there.

I am not on the needed level of remembering or figuring out how to do things.

So I kind of need a puppy that is taylormade for oldis with no brain for computing. :)

Guys, don't let my grympy comments get to yopu. Continue the heads up and go at it. :)

runtt21

#74 Post by runtt21 »

I am not sure about simple mail But You can customize your firefox.pet to include your bookmarks and themes . You could also copy /root/.mozilla somewhere and when you install firefox again copy that folder back into the new puppy and run it.

nooby

#75 Post by nooby »

Thanks indeed for caring about me but
runtt21 wrote:I am not sure about simple mail But You can customize your firefox.pet to include your bookmarks and themes . You could also copy /root/.mozilla somewhere and when you install firefox again copy that folder back into the new puppy and run it.
Beem and Puppyluvr described something similar but not exactly same as you do here.
I guess your description makes it included in the pupsave file while their description place it outside the save file so when you test next puppy q23 q24 q25 or lupu 115 116 117 and so on then none of them need to start from scratch FF and Opera and Chrome and Seamoneky all of them stay outside of pupsave and all keep their profiles and installed addons and whatever bookmark.

As it is now I have to start totally fresh each new puppy version. Very time consuming.

Edit.

I maybe have no way to really know but would not your Macpup be even more popular if you made it like I describe in the next revision.

Then each time those who prefer Macpup to the other puppies could retain all their individial preferences if they ever tested other puppies to compare.

you would be alone having a puppy derivative that was that versatile and flexible.

runtt21

#76 Post by runtt21 »

What you talking about would be to build a firefox.sfs that could be used by lots of different pup. But .sfs are read only, if you bookmarked something new in one pup , the others would not have it.

nooby

#77 Post by nooby »

Yes and No??? maybe I fail to grasp what he says. Look here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy//viewt ... 004#398004
I currently have 11 Puppies...All in 1 partition, (in my case sda3) we`ll call it /mnt/home..OK? So I moved /usr/lib/mozilla and /usr/lib/firefox to /mnt/home..(sda3) and symlinked them back to their original locations in the particular Puppy I was in...I then went through the Pups I use most, and deleted /usr/lib/mozilla and /usr/lib/firefox and linked the ones from /mnt/home (sda3) to their places...

Long story short, all my Pups share ONE Firefox, which also helps because the browser cache is outside your pupsave..
Worth considering....

Symlinking. I have been using puppy now since Dec 2009 and also for months in 2008 and still have no clue on how to do symlinking.
I tried many times but simply fail to get how it is done.

Yes worth considering and I have asked for further details but both puppyluvr and Beem trust that their descriptions are enough detailed for anyone to grasp so I have to find somebody else that can explain it to me.

If their approach does retain the profile and bookmarks and settings and such that is a very good thing.

Not only a portable app but one that retain the personality the usr set up.

Here is what Beem wrote.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 024#398024

Quote:
Just move the directories with the help of two rox windows, so that they are now in /mnt/home.
Then you drag the directory with the mouse back to where it came from, but instead of moving, you create a symlink by means of the little menu.

I have tried to get what these too friendly and helpful guys suggest but it is still beyond my capacity to grasp.
sounds very similar to your suggestion?

Why would he suggest it if it failed to retain his settings?

Would it not be very good to have in your next macpup? Or even in a update on the current one preferably?

WhoDo

#78 Post by WhoDo »

nooby wrote:Symlinking. I have been using puppy now since Dec 2009 and also for months in 2008 and still have no clue on how to do symlinking.
I tried many times but simply fail to get how it is done.
Look here for the command line version:
http://linux.byexamples.com/archives/19 ... e-symlink/

In Puppy you can also use the Shift key (I think) with your mouse to click and drag a file to symlink it to a location. It's exactly the same process, at least notionally, as creating a shortcut in Window$. Symlink is a contraction for Symbolic Link, which is another way of saying Shortcut.

Don't forget that the symlink will need to be recreated for each new installation of Puppy so your browser and mail can find it i.e. the installed directories will need to be deleted first and then their replacements created as symlinks to the directories you have on the partition outside the puppy compressed files.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by WhoDo on Sat 01 May 2010, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#79 Post by nooby »

sorry to derail the thread.

I try your suggestion tomorrow it is late at night here now.

Sorry, have you tried to follow that description yourself and get it working?
I mean to move the necessary Firefox outside of pupsave maybe to mnt/home and then to make a link back to the proper place so when one click on meny or default browser then the moved directories should start up from each puppie that you have changed this way?

runtt21

#80 Post by runtt21 »

I read through that thread and to do what you want you would need to move the media players and their plugins . And then make a TON of symlinks to everything. This just seems crude to me. If all of your pups dont have the libs that each player needs they will need to be added as well. And the pups will need glib and dbus that match the one lighthouse has. Most pups dont have dbus and if they do its an older one that is stripped down. Macpup uses the full version of the newest dbus.

You can have bookmarks in usr/lib/firefox but these are like the pre-installed ones once you start using firefox all your new bookmarks and settings/skins are in root/.mozilla .

It would be so much easier to buid a .sfs with everything and just mount it in the other pups.

The pic shows how to make a symlink , just drag and drop , thene select link....