DuDE-0.4.1

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Jim1911

#41 Post by Jim1911 »

zigbert wrote:Jim
2. After executing ptray, open /root/gtk in a text-editor and find line 225 in lupu or line 374 in Puppy 4.3.2. What does the line(s) say.
Edit: Why not attach the whole /root/gtk file
Hope this helps, you probably do need the whole file because of the echo that's included. Line 225 "<item>Theme Orange</item>" doesn't appear to be relevant to the problem.

gtktest posted from lupu-111, gtktest432 posted from puppy-4.3.2v3

Jim
Attachments
gtktest432.tar.gz
(4.84 KiB) Downloaded 962 times
gtktest.tar.gz
(4.83 KiB) Downloaded 961 times

01micko

#42 Post by 01micko »

Hi Jim

No, playdayz forgot the new gtkdialog/JWM in lupu-111, they will install just fine, use zigbert's link.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jim1911

#43 Post by Jim1911 »

zigbert wrote: I wonder if this is caused by 'something' you have installed.
You are correct, because of this statement, I started lupu-112 with no save file and installed DuDE first. It worked flawlessly, then still without a save file I installed my usual programs, one at a time, checking ptray after each installation and found the conflicting program "snap2_4.3.pet". Too bad, it's a super backup utility.

Sorry that I've wasted your time, I could have done this earlier. :oops:

Your update is super, it works fine without pwidgets. Pcorners, and all of the other features work great.

Thanks,
Jim :D

zigbert

#44 Post by zigbert »

Why should Snap2 interfere with DuDE :shock:

We need a solution here.......

Jim1911

#45 Post by Jim1911 »

zigbert wrote:Why should Snap2 interfere with DuDE :shock:
We need a solution here.......
My usual software plus is installed now except for snap2. This is Amarok, wine, e-Sword, firefox, seamonkey, OpenOffice3.2, pwidgets, edit_sfs, java, numlockx, Pet_Maker, Startmount, Sunbird, thunderbird, gnome-games-Lite, and DuDE. All work fine except DuDE's ptray when I install snap2.

Any ideas as to what I should check? I'd like to help find a solution, maybe we could get Istandish to look into this. Presently, 01micko has links in lupu-112's Quickpet for DuDE and snap2.

Cheers,
Jim

zigbert

#46 Post by zigbert »

Jim
Could you point me to the snap2 package you install.

Sigmund

Jim1911

#47 Post by Jim1911 »

I use this snap2 which is the same one that's linked to by Quickpet on Lupu. I hope that you are able to duplicate the problem that I get.

Note: I see that the link is to an older version 2-4.4.2, I used 2-4.4.3, and I found that Istandish has updated it to 2-4.4.4. I'm installing it now to see if it has the same affect.

Unfortunately the latest version affects ptray as before. However there is another conflict that I hadn't noticed. Snap2 will not operate from the menu, it does start from a console with this message

Code: Select all

# snap2
(process:19927): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Jim

zigbert

#48 Post by zigbert »

Jim
The problem is in the file /usr/share/applications/snap2_run.desktop

Exec=xterm -e "snap2shell snapshot default.set"
The Quotes interferes with the Stardust program detection.
If you remove /usr/share/stardust/bin/"snapshell, everything else should work just fine. Fixed this for next update.

Thank you
Sigmund

Jim1911

#49 Post by Jim1911 »

Great, it worked, also worked with pup-4.3.2! :D
EDIT: However, this breaks one of the functions of snap2 which is to make a quick snapshot backup. The snap2 GUI still works properly.
Last edited by Jim1911 on Wed 28 Apr 2010, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#50 Post by DaveS »

zigbert wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Minor problem--Upon reboot, after a change such as adding a program or another sfs, the default 432 icons return to desktop and have to be manually removed.
This problem has nothing to do wit Stardust, but has been around for a long time in the official Puppy. If you first remove icons on desktop, then install a sfs, icons return.

Sigmund
Jim........ the way to deal with this is to set your desktop up the way you want then remaster. This way, your preferred desktop becomes the default (which always gets loaded after installing sfs etc) instead of the Puppy original. Remastering using Dougals modified script is easy. It is here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 240#380240
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#51 Post by DaveS »

Zigbert......... something you have done here has fixed the scroll bug in Midori browser. That is to say two identical systems. 4.3.2.v3, frugal. Standard exhibits scroll bug, DuDE-0.2 installed, and bug is gone. What could it be?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#52 Post by DaveS »

Strange. I dont seem to have the rox right clicks options, and right click on a file does not give me an 'add to favourites' option.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#53 Post by 01micko »

Everyone...

If you run the latest Quirky and you love JWM, I would say that DuDE is essential. :D

There is limited JWM stuff in the latest quirky/wary but DuDE seems to well and truly make up for it. I am not an openbox fan at all. I'd prefer Icewm to openbox, but JWM to both of those. If you run Wary/Quirky... try DuDE and be amazed.. :) (you may need to exit to prompt and run "fixmenus", then run "xwin".)

(ziggy, not quite perfect but a really good start in quirky-021)

Cheers

DaveS

#54 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:Everyone...

If you run the latest Quirky and you love JWM, I would say that DuDE is essential. :D

There is limited JWM stuff in the latest quirky/wary but DuDE seems to well and truly make up for it. I am not an openbox fan at all. I'd prefer Icewm to openbox, but JWM to both of those. If you run Wary/Quirky... try DuDE and be amazed.. :) (you may need to exit to prompt and run "fixmenus", then run "xwin".)

Cheers
Mick....... could you try changing one of the default program entries via PCC. When I tried it in 4.3* and 4.4 it cleared the defaultbrowser file of text, and thereafter the wizard would not run. I had to re-write the file by hand.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#55 Post by 01micko »

I concurr Dave, defaultbrowser is now empty after changing to firefox.

Still, does not detract (too much) from my previous post :wink:

DaveS

#56 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:
Still, does not detract (too much) from my previous post :wink:
Agreed. DuDe represents a smarter way of working.......... love it!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jim1911

#57 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:Everyone...

Cheers
Concur, but it's not a keeper in quirky-021 yet.

Cheers,
Jim

EDIT: Tried DuDE again in quirky-021, and it hung up trying to set the initial desktop theme as indicated in the attached desktop picture. This time though rather than uninstalling DuDE, I installed pwidgets and then everything appears to work OK.

IMPORTANT: To try DuDE in quirky, first switch to JWM desktop, then install pwidgets. DuDE works fine and is a huge improvement over default openbox desktop IMO. :D
Attachments
desktop.png
(40.55 KiB) Downloaded 611 times
Last edited by Jim1911 on Fri 30 Apr 2010, 01:20, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

snap2

#58 Post by bigpup »

Jim1911 wrote:I use this snap2 which is the same one that's linked to by Quickpet on Lupu. I hope that you are able to duplicate the problem that I get.

Note: I see that the link is to an older version 2-4.4.2, I used 2-4.4.3, and I found that Istandish has updated it to 2-4.4.4. I'm installing it now to see if it has the same affect.

Unfortunately the latest version affects ptray as before. However there is another conflict that I hadn't noticed. Snap2 will not operate from the menu, it does start from a console with this message

# snap2
(process:19927): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Jim
There is now snap2 version 4.6 try that.
http://files.lstandish.com/

Jim1911

Re: snap2

#59 Post by Jim1911 »

bigpup wrote:There is now snap2 version 4.6 try that.
http://files.lstandish.com/
Thanks for the link, however it still conflicts with DuDE's ptray. I don't know if that conflict can be removed without breaking snap2 partially. The current fix breaks the immediate snapshot capability, but allows the snap2 GUI interface to work properly.

zigbert

#60 Post by zigbert »

DaveS wrote:something you have done here has fixed the scroll bug in Midori browser.
I am really sorry :) I have no clue what I have done.