Toshiba Satellite 1805 S273 Laptop - boot problems

Using applications, configuring, problems
slvrldy17

Toshiba Satellite 1805 S273 Laptop - boot problems

#1 Post by slvrldy17 »

From other peoples posts here I know that Toshiba laptops are something of a mixed bag where it comes to success in booting up. What I'm working with is a Toshiba Satellite 1805 S-273 laptop that I aqquired used. Processor is an Intel Pentium 3 and there is 248MB of RAM. The internal CD rom drive works but the floppy drive is dead. Booting from the Empty Crust Puppy ver.1.0.7 everything appears to be normal until the choice of X server. Boot hangs after the choice of X is made. With Xvesa the last line on the screen is "0x011 640x480x16 starting X with video mode 0x011 and mouse input/mice" it then hangs and while the keyboard works nothing happens and a hard reboot is the only way out. Choosing Xorg results in a black screen with no messages - keyboard works but again a hard reboot is the only way out. Have tried boot options 1,2,3,and 4. Anyone got any ideas on what to try next?
Thanks,

Alice

agustincordoba

#2 Post by agustincordoba »

Hi,
Damn right about the Toshibas. I am running Debian on my Satellite Pro4600, Ok, and I have used Knoppix and Mepis on it. But I have not been able to complete bootup with either DSL or Puppy. In the case of Puppy the computer hangs after making the choice of X-server, though shutdown is effective through Ctrl Alt Del. Does anyone else have problems of this kind?
I'll be grateful for any help-

MTIA

Agust

Rhino

#3 Post by Rhino »

On my wife's Toshiba Satellite M30X, she has to boot in one of the No ACPI modes or it hangs, but otherwise seems OK with Puppy 1.08, I have not tried Empty Crust with it...I'll have to wait until she is not around ;-)

My Satellite P35 boots fine with both XVESA and X.org, although there was a hitch with one of the earlier versions of X.org using Empty Crust and Puppy 1.07.

It might be useful to try Puppy 1.08 with the No ACPI option.
Visit the Puppy Linux Video Tutorials @ http://rhinoweb.us