Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tronkel

#361 Post by tronkel »

playdayz wrote:
Does the auto config of X work for anyone?
Yep, worked for me with an ATI Radeon 3450 video card. Straight through to the desktop and pronto.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

aarf

#362 Post by aarf »

playdayz wrote: That is why I ask, did X setup automatically for anyone?
other than having to change the keyboard to UK, the language to okka-ish, the time zone to asia, the color to x24, yes it setup automatically for me no problem :)
Last edited by aarf on Sun 25 Apr 2010, 16:49, edited 2 times in total.

tronkel

#363 Post by tronkel »

Don't be disappointed playdayz. Lupu is turning out great. These problems are not show-stoppers in any case. Lupu is my favourite Puppy at the moment - even with the small niggles.

Also, try not to do a U-turn with xorg either. Keep on the path you intended originally as regards this. It'll get there.

regards

Tronkel
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

murmelbahn

#364 Post by murmelbahn »

playdayz,

even though you're probably already putting the finishing touches on 112,
I'd like to report some 111 problems I haven't seen reported before (apologies if I'm mistaken).
Booting from LiveCD.

- good things first: the automatic screen res setting was fine (nVidia gForce2 graphics card, 17" CRT screen)
- on a 1.8 GHz P4, "First Run Configuration" window takes > 1 minute to appear
- I **must** run "Locale" before "Keyboard & Mouse" or there's just one choice of keyboard: US
- if I do and set locale to German without restarting X, then click
"Keyboard & Mouse" --> "Choose keyboard layout for your country ...", screen gets totally messed up
(bottom half = magenta, top half = 4 stripes of black and grey, desktop and mouse gone)
... a hard reboot is needed to recover
- about 10 minutes into testing, an error message popped up saying
"Error saving pinboard /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin: No space left on device",
then the little free space indicator in the panel goes red: 0M free

mb

Tasgarth

#365 Post by Tasgarth »

@playdayz,

Lucid 111
Azerty, LANG fr
Asus M2V, Nidvia Geforce7600 Sata, 1G Ram

The same problem with Lucid 009 or 111.
No azerty keyboard (but time-zone: OK)
No /etc/profile repertory
No etc/profile, only an empty /etc/profile.d
No etc/keyboard repertory

I did the same thing that under Lucid 009:
Copy-paste my right xorg.conf of Lucid 008 and reboot
and now it's OK
without etc/profile nor etc/keyboard repertories (not necessary for me?)

playdayz

#366 Post by playdayz »

murmelbahn,
"Error saving pinboard /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin: No space left on device",
This is highly likely a problem with your machine running out of space on the hard idsk.

The other things, eyboard, etc., are what I am addressing in 112. I believe I ma getting them. Since, as you say, the auto config of XS worked, I would hate to go back when I think we are close.

darwinev0lved

#367 Post by darwinev0lved »

playdayz wrote:@ darwinevolevd
This version simply doesn't boot.
Does it boot to a prompt? Can you run 'xorg-setup' at the prompt?

Does the auto config of X work for anyone? It worked on all 5 of my test computers with openchrome, nv, radeon, savage, drivers. On monitor need me to run xrandr from the gui

I already see a list of changes for 112: ghostscript, cups, keyboard setup. As tronkel said, the keyboard setup gui does not work unless an xorg.conf has been created by running 'xorg-setup'. I will incdlude instructions to that effect.

The Permanent/Session dialog when changing resolutions with xrandr is Barry's. You should Make It Permanent and I will add instructions to that effect.

Even with a good list of things to do for 112 I am discouraged.f I thought 111 was pretty good--with a three way opportunity to get X correct--and X setting up automatically on about 90%. That is why I ask, did X setup automatically for anyone?

I think I might work all day incorporating the changes into 112 just to see if the dang thing is worth pursuing. Thanks.

On the bright side, pemasu is printing again!
Hi Playdayz, no I'm afraid it doesn't boot to a prompt. :(
All I get is black screen of death and I have to hard power it off.
On the plus side the auto-config of Xorg seems to have worked with a (not quite as old) ASUS eepc701. So don't get discouraged!

Could this driver problem be something really simple? I noticed that the i810_drv.so in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers is a symlink but to intel_drv.so in the same folder - shouldn't it be to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers-alternate ? Could it be someting as simple as that?

Regards, Jon.

playdayz

#368 Post by playdayz »

I do believe I might have it in 112, due later today.

Belt -> it should boot to a good graphical desktop.

Suspenders -> If it fails to boot, run xorgwizard at the prompt
If it boots with bad resolution, run xrandr.
Change timezone and language from First run wizard

Pretty underwear -> To change keyboard, change Intel driver, or to redo the graphical desktop entirely, exit to prompt and run xorgwizard.

darwinev0led

booting to a black screen is the worst outcome--I think 112 later today can handle everything but that. What graphics does that machine have? It might be that the black screen problem will not be fixed today--but I do believe most of the other ones will, especially the keyboard.

You know what Geordi LaForge said about time travel, it gave him a headache ;-)

Wait! When the cd starts to boot, enter 'puppy pfix=nox' at the prompt. That way you should get a prompt. Then at the prompt enter 'xorg-setup' that is just for 111--in 112 it is back to what it is supposed to be 'xorgwizard'.

James C

#369 Post by James C »

Lucid 111 on my Athlon XP 2.0 ghz with Prosavage onboard graphics.....correct 1024x768 resolution was automatically set out of the box. :)

gerry

#370 Post by gerry »

Anyone got printing working yet? It won't work for me. But it's a bit special for me:
I have a Canon i965 printer, normally connected to a windows XP machine. However, to make things simpler, I connected directly, to a usb port.
Gutenprint does not cater well for this printer, several drivers sort of work, but black comes out dark grey. So usually I use a driver which comes as a deb from Mr Takushi, at Kyoto University, which works.

However, with Lucid Puppy, I can't get printing to work any way at all, and I thought I knew how to do it!

CUPS error log messages include things like "Couldn't read xref table", and "GPL Ghostscript 8.71 Can't find initialisation file gs_init.ps".

Can't do any more, wife wants the printer back.

gerry

playdayz

#371 Post by playdayz »

hi gerry, give up on version 111. Cups had been working but then I updated--never update ;-) 112 should have Cups in much better shape. Thanks for testing.

And thank you James C - I have high hopes for 112. Is this what they mean by a frenzied pace of development ;-)

murmelbahn

#372 Post by murmelbahn »

then the little free space indicator in the panel goes red: 0M free
It was Gnumeric. I was checking for the infamous Format --> Cells ... freeze / crash. Yes it was there.
As a side effect, free memory would start dropping at a speed of about -10 MB per second.
I killed the Gnumeric window by right clicking on the window bar etc, but that didn't stop
the countdown. As I was running from LiveCD, the free mem applet would report free RAM
(or would it?) - which Gnumeric presumably was eating away on.

In short: once Gnumeric is OK, free mem will be OK.

On the other hand, maybe a good replacement for Ptimer :wink:

Good luck with 112!

mb

Tasgarth

#373 Post by Tasgarth »

@playdayz,

Lucid 111
Azerty, LANG fr
Asus M2V, Nidvia Geforce7600 Sata, 1G Ram

1) At the beginning correct 1600x24 resolution automatically set out of the box.
Only a qwerty and no locale.
But good screen with Flash (full screen : right if "no acceleration")

In order to built a new 'xorg.conf I typed in the terminal :
#xorgconfig => No command found
then
#xorgcfg => no command found
2) So I copied my xorg.conf of Lucid 008.
It's not a very academic method but... right for me.
3) reboot
4) after that I used the quickpet (geany Foxit)
and... locale FR : OK
----------
Is it strange bash3 does not get xorgconfig or xorgcfg commands ?
Perhaps are there in the Bash4 (Bash4 contains more simple useful commands)

darwinev0lved

#374 Post by darwinev0lved »

playdayz wrote: darwinev0led

booting to a black screen is the worst outcome--I think 112 later today can handle everything but that. What graphics does that machine have? It might be that the black screen problem will not be fixed today--but I do believe most of the other ones will, especially the keyboard.

You know what Geordi LaForge said about time travel, it gave him a headache ;-)

Wait! When the cd starts to boot, enter 'puppy pfix=nox' at the prompt. That way you should get a prompt. Then at the prompt enter 'xorg-setup' that is just for 111--in 112 it is back to what it is supposed to be 'xorgwizard'.
Hi there again. OK yes pfix=nox works :) - one thing, just for anybody else: you have to run xorg-setup twice. Once to get rid of the wrong Intel driver and then again to probe to set the resolution. Did that and up came First Run Configuration (which btw was a mess on the asus701, but I expect not much you can do about that because of the 800*480 res.)
Hardware: it's a pretty old laptop. A Samsung X05 with integrated intel graphics 82852/855GM

Hope that helps
Jon.

pa_mcclamrock

#375 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Playdayz: In case you get a chance to read this before you get done with 112 . . . here are a couple of suggestions about how to make things easier for those of us who may have to resort to xorg-setup instead of the fancy new thing.

I gave 111 another try, exited to prompt, ran xorg-setup, and did the following things:

1. Selected Choose, it gave me a message saying one of two drivers was removed, and I hit OK. I then did not get a choice of screen resolutions, only a prompt on a plain black screen.

2. Rebooted, ran xorg-setup, selected Probe instead of Choose, auto-probing didn't work, and so I got the good old choice of 1024 x 768 (or other resolutions) like in previous Puppy versions. I hit OK, and got . . . a prompt on a plain black screen, with a message in red letters saying to run Xorgwizard if X didn't start. I did. Xorgwizard still didn't do anything.

3. Ran xorg-setup yet again, selected Probe, and then hit Test. Test worked, I hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to exit to prompt, entered "xwin" at the prompt, and X then worked right on the third try. I now have a taskbar, drive icons (although they still get misaligned), 1024 x 768 resolution, and Opera with an entirely visible scrollbar.

In the First Run Configuration box, I would suggest revising the instructions so they just say that, if the fancy new thing doesn't work, (1) exit to prompt, (2) run xorg-setup, (3) select Probe, (4) select desired screen resolution if given the option, and (5) hit Test, not OK. (Also, the First Run Configuration box doesn't need to appear every time you restart X, as it has been for me in 111.)
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

cifa

#376 Post by cifa »

gxine still not working here in 111 - still crashes/freezes the system when i try to boot the program. in other words - it doesn't work.
any suggestions any one or even how to get a bug report in for that?
for the record - its an Intel g41 graphics chip on a frugal install

playdayz

#377 Post by playdayz »

xine still not working here in 111 - still crashes/freezes the system when i try to boot the program. in other words - it doesn't work.
cifa, You have made the bug report. i hope someone else has an idea. I have been listening to gxine all day while I edited and built and rebuilt Lucid Puppy. It akes sense to me that you are right about the video card. I hope now that the video is in good shape that we can spend more time on this bug and others like it. Thanks.
if the fancy new thing doesn't work, (1) exit to prompt, (2) run xorg-setup, (3) select Probe, (4) select desired screen resolution if given the option, and (5) hit Test, not OK.
Pa, if you look at the new instructions in the first message, I think they are pretty close to what you say. Even better now that it is all xorgwizard again (as it should be ;-)

Thanks.

playdayz

#378 Post by playdayz »

xine still not working here in 111 - still crashes/freezes the system when i try to boot the program. in other words - it doesn't work.
cifa, You have made the bug report. i hope someone else has an idea. I have been listening to gxine all day while I edited and built and rebuilt Lucid Puppy. It makes sense to me that you are right about the video card. I hope now that the video is in good shape that we can spend more time on this bug and others like it. Thanks. BTW, pemasu says that gnome-mplayer can work so we hope to have that as an option. Lxmusic might work for you for audio--it's in QuickPet.. Also, there is another gui for xine called xine-ui--it might work where gxine fails. You could find it in packages.ubuntu.conm but it has dependencies--or you could wait and someone will make it.
if the fancy new thing doesn't work, (1) exit to prompt, (2) run xorg-setup, (3) select Probe, (4) select desired screen resolution if given the option, and (5) hit Test, not OK.
Pa, if you look at the new instructions in the first message, I think they are pretty close to what you say. Even better now that it is all xorgwizard again (as it should be ;-)

Thanks.
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 26 Apr 2010, 00:51, edited 2 times in total.

James C

#379 Post by James C »

No problems with Gxine here....been playing mp3, mp4 and wmv as well as Pstreamvid on my frugal install.
Now to grab 112.......... :)

aarf

#380 Post by aarf »

Xdelta 9_12 perhaps?