Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#341 Post by 01micko »

tronkel wrote:
The quickpet SFS button doesn't seem to do anything. What is this button actually for?
It opens a browser at a wiki page on puppylinux.org and on that page is a short introductory tutorial about sfs.. it didn't do that?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tronkel

#342 Post by tronkel »

@01micko

oops silly me! :roll:

Didn't notice that the sfs help page had in fact appeared in the browser which was minimised.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

stu90

#343 Post by stu90 »

01micko wrote:
aarf wrote:
i can get into puppylinux.ca with passwords. but quickpackage is still not doing it.
I just tried it, Pwidgets installed correctly in about 10 seconds. I have the username/password set in quickpackage by default, so that isn't the problem. Can you see if this command works?

Code: Select all

wget -t 0 -c --user=puppy --password=linux -P /root http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/zigbert/pwidgets-2.2.7.pet
If it does I'll be even more confused :?

Thanks
Hi 01micko prepair to be confused :D
running 111 frugal typing command in terminal downloads pwidgets no problem but in quickpet is still no go with the server time out message.

Dont know if this is any help but get this in xerrs:

/usr/sbin/quickpet: line 256:  6980 Terminated              gtkdialog3 -p quickpack
grep: /tmp/docheck: No such file or directory
[1]+  Done                    yaf-splash -font "-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--16-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1" -placement top -outline 0 -timeout 4 -bg lightblue -text "Please wait for your $THEPET download. 
	You will then be asked to confirm installation"
expr: syntax error
grep: /tmp/dovercheck: No such file or directory
[1]+  Done                    yaf-splash -font "-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--16-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1" -placement top -outline 0 -bg limegreen -text "Please wait ..."
/usr/local/petget/filterpkgs.sh: line 92: 16291 Terminated              yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "Please wait, processing all entries may take awhile..."
/usr/sbin/quickpet: line 256: 10524 Terminated              gtkdialog3 -p quickpack
/usr/sbin/quickpet: line 256: 16433 Terminated              gtkdialog3 -p quickpack
grep: /tmp/docheck: No such file or directory
[1]+  Done                    yaf-splash -font "-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--16-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1" -placement top -outline 0 -timeout 4 -bg lightblue -text "Please wait for your $THEPET download. 
thanks.

stu90

#344 Post by stu90 »

Hello playdayz, running xorg-setup in 111 fixes touchpad scroll mouse problems.

thanks.

gerry

#345 Post by gerry »

Running live usb on Acer Aspire One (desktop machine needs retro kernel).
Got the resolution right, but the sda1 icon was on top of quickpet icon, and sdb1 icon on top of sda5. Effect of 800 pixels vertical screen size?

Symlink needed: ln -s /opt/samba/bin/smbspool /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb

so that "windows printer via samba" is available in the cups printer setup choices.

This is needed to set up a printer that is connected to a windows machine.

gerry

01micko

#346 Post by 01micko »

That does help stu90, it looks like the variable is not finding it's value, for some weird reason ... and for some users only...

Ok, will see if I can fix it

Thank you :)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

scruffy

Lucid 111

#347 Post by scruffy »

Hi playdayz , I've just tried a Lucid Puppy 111 Frugal Install and I'm impressed!

The installation process worked fine and Locale/Timezone options were easy to set.
Running glxgears worked and everything looks fine except the display was skewed slightly to the right (by about 5mm).

Opera also looks good (and very fast) and flash is now working with it.Also you2pup is
now working.

So far I haven't found anything anything that doesn't work as it should but I just found a few cosmetic issues.

1. Abiword
The menu icon is missing. When I try help from Abiword it doesn't work.
Running from a terminal gives this:
# abiword

** (abiword:22779): WARNING **: Operation not supported

2. Quickpet .
The desktop Quickpet icon is missing. In Lucid 009 the icon could be found here -
user/local/lib/x11/pixmaps/qp-icon.png,but it seems to have disappeared.
Also a small typo in Quickpet -> updates option (refferred should be referred ). To me Quickpet is a big success and I guess a lot of people will be using it.

3.Foxit
When I start Foxit from the menu I get the following message.
Cannot open the file!
The file cannot be found or opened, the file name may be incorrect.
Please verify and try again.
Foxit still works fine though.

4.Drive icons were misaligned on bootup but I followed the advice given earlier
and this cured the problem - thanks James C.

In summary I think all the developers' hard work has paid off. Thanks for the testing
advice given earlier. For example I would never have known to run a program from the
terminal.I need all the help I can get. :)

AMD Athlon 512MB 1100MHz
Soundcard C-media CMI8738
Graphics Nvidia geforce 4 MX440
Netgear wired DSL

gerry

#348 Post by gerry »

Major problem!! No matter what I do, setting uk keyboard still gets me US keyboard.

gerry

gerry

#349 Post by gerry »

More on keyboard.

setup > change mouse and keyboard > choose k/b layout for country > uk >ok

message says " information is saved in etc/keymap". It is (ie file contains UK), but restarting X or rebooting still leaves me with a US k/b.

How do I get a UK keyboard?

gerry

tronkel

#350 Post by tronkel »

@gerry

Try doing this:

Press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE
Then run xorg-setup from the command line. and choose your normal resolution. This will then create a real /etc/X11/xorg.conf automatically.

Then select your UK keyboard from one of the keyboard configuration routines available from the normal Puppy setup system whose icon is located on the desktop. Experiment and see which one works for you.

Then restart X by typing xwin at the command prompt. If that doesn't do the trick, then try it the other way round. Select the UK keyboard layout from the routine first and then run xorg-setup.

This is only a work-around until a resolution is found for this xorg problem.

Hope this helps.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

gerry

#351 Post by gerry »

Next.....I need to use Pnethood to connect to the printer and to a share folder on the XP machine. I run Pnethood, and it finds the XP machine, but not the shares. Put in XP username and p/wd, then refresh. It then reports "no servers found".

So I can't print. (Check: I booted good old 431, and that still works.)

gerry

pemasu

#352 Post by pemasu »

Lupu011 fresh frugal install. Cups printing with HP Laserjet 1020 now works. I installed Ghostscript, didnt even test it before. Print test page prints empty page only but from apps printing works.

Keyboard settings give me headache also. I created xorg.conf and I added Xkb rows just in case because they were missing.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
Option "XkbLayout" "fi" #xkeymap0
EndSection
I have now finnish keyboard in X but if I go to console by quitting X, I have us keyboard. And I have finnish keyboard selected in keyboard layout also (many times :) ) so something is not quite right.

playdayz

#353 Post by playdayz »

@ darwinevolevd
This version simply doesn't boot.
Does it boot to a prompt? Can you run 'xorg-setup' at the prompt?

Does the auto config of X work for anyone? It worked on all 5 of my test computers with openchrome, nv, radeon, savage, drivers. On monitor need me to run xrandr from the gui

I already see a list of changes for 112: ghostscript, cups, keyboard setup. As tronkel said, the keyboard setup gui does not work unless an xorg.conf has been created by running 'xorg-setup'. I will incdlude instructions to that effect.

The Permanent/Session dialog when changing resolutions with xrandr is Barry's. You should Make It Permanent and I will add instructions to that effect.

Even with a good list of things to do for 112 I am discouraged.f I thought 111 was pretty good--with a three way opportunity to get X correct--and X setting up automatically on about 90%. That is why I ask, did X setup automatically for anyone?

I think I might work all day incorporating the changes into 112 just to see if the dang thing is worth pursuing. Thanks.

On the bright side, pemasu is printing again!
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 25 Apr 2010, 15:30, edited 2 times in total.

gerry

#354 Post by gerry »

@Tronkel- thanks, uk k/bd in use now.

gerry

scruffy

#355 Post by scruffy »

Hi playdayz,
just thought I should let you know, menu option Setup -> Xorg Video Wizard
doesn't seem to work.

@gerry
Glad you got your Keyboard working properly. Just for your interest I got UK keyboard by putting this at the top of xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "gb"
EndSection
then ctrl-alt-backspace
and xwin to restart.

aarf

#356 Post by aarf »

still lupu009 (hint :? )

# quickpackage  
/usr/sbin/quickpackage: line 234:  9041 Terminated              gtkdialog3 -p quickpack
# grep: /tmp/docheck: No such file or directory
timeout message comes.

playdayz

#357 Post by playdayz »

OK, I have some ideas. Please look for 112 late tonight US CST.

Billtoo

Lucid Puppy 111 - Alpha Beta - 04/19 Ubuntu + Woof 04/16

#358 Post by Billtoo »

I installed the lupu devx file and when I tried compiling some apps they would usually fail to compile and give error messages. Htop would compile okay,weechat wouldn't and cmus wouldn't.
I thought I'd start fresh and rebooted the live cd and then used trio's sfs installer to install the wary 019 devx and now all three apps compile and work.

Is this legal? :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#359 Post by Lobster »

I thought 111 was pretty good
Worked for me Radeonhd and the gears test worked

The choose keyboard locales is a bit long on the screen
for some res
otherwise OK :)

Lucid Puppy update worked OK for me too
(everyone else reported it as OK last time)
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 25 Apr 2010, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Jim1911

#360 Post by Jim1911 »

Lupu-111 fails to print. Although, the correct driver is installed, it will not print to my HP5280 Photosmart or to a CUPS-PDF. Since the correct driver has been loaded I have not been checking the printing on previous versions.

One other problem, DuDE-0.2 works great on lupu except for ptray which gives an error message.

# ptray
(process:2482): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 225, near token 'string': syntax error
aborting...
I mention this because it worked fine in version 006 and earlier, apparently something has been changed in Gtk.
The auto config of X works great on this system: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart 5280 All-in-One

Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Sun 25 Apr 2010, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.