Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 11 Dec 2018, 23:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Classic Pup 2.14X -- Updated 2 series
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 239 of 346 [5187 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, ..., 344, 345, 346 Next

What is the best Puppy Version ever, LOL
2.14x
28%
 28%  [ 11 ]
2.14x
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
2.14x
28%
 28%  [ 11 ]
Other: 2.14x only
31%
 31%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 38

Dingo

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr 2010, 16:05    Post subject:  

MinHundHettePerro wrote:
2byte
As to click-mounting .sfs-files in Rox: it works very well for squashfs-files of version 3.0, as used in puppy series 2 (and, I think series 3) but, not for squashfs ver. 3.1, as used in 4.12, nor for squashfs ver. 4, as used in later puppies, quirkies, waries etc.

Yes, I discovered this behavior when I made my

*sfs compatibility chart*

2byte

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr 2010, 19:24    Post subject:  

MHHP, I missed your reported fix for filemnt. And thanks for the info on the different squashfs types. I didn't know that.
Is a different menu.lst entry all that it takes to get this to boot? I think I saw one report somewhere in this massive thread where a frugal install of this type was hand made. I'll search after I post this.

MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr 2010, 20:03    Post subject:  

@2byte

Since the boot-parameter psubdir of later puppies is not valid in 214X, one possible boot stanza to boot 214X from a frugal install to /dev/hda6/puppy_214XRC5 follows:
Quote:
title Puppy 214XRC5 on hda6/puppy_214XRC5_ext2FS
rootnoverify (hd0,5)
kernel /puppy_214XRC5/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=hda6 PUPMODE=12 DEV1FS=ext2 SFSFILE=ext2,hda6,/puppy_214XRC5/pup_214X.sfs ZDRV=ext2,hda6,/puppy_214XRC5/zdrv_214X.sfs PUPSAVE=ext2,hda6,/puppy_214XRC5/pup_save-214XRC5.2fs PKEYS=se
initrd /puppy_214XRC5/initrd.gz
Not every entry above is needed, slim to your preference!

Hth & Cheers Smile/
MHHP

Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
Nämen, vaf.... ln -s /dev/null MHHP
2byte

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr 2010, 20:16    Post subject:  

So the only 2 things needing attention in the puppyinstaller is to add root=/dev/ram0 to the suggested newgrub.txt and to fix the copying message when copying the files to the hd.

My working menu.lst entry is
Code:
title Classic Pup 214X frugal
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /classicpup/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=idehd psubdir=classicpup pupsave=ext3,hda1,/classicpup/pup_save-classic_puprc5.3fs
initrd /classicpup/initrd.gz
Boots with /classicpup/pup_save-classic_puprc5.3fs ignoring all other save files on this computer.

Many thanks MHHP!

technosaurus

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr 2010, 19:02    Post subject:  

I recompiled ttuuxxx's blinky for gtk-1.2 - it works for displaying traffic, but may be missing some other features that I don't use. Maybe someone with a low end machine will want it for the lower resource usage though.

kb usage according to top
gtk2 = 11056
gtk1 = 3728

Edit: while I am at it ... some other gtk1 apps

Minimum Profit - highlighting text editor with tabs and more
Graphical Process Statistics - like top and pprocess combined
Ggradebook - tool for teachers
xmms - fairly up to date audio player (it is over half of this tarball)
gtkedit - basic text editor
gftp - same ftp client that is in puppy but version 2.18
gvidm - screen resolution setter
blinky - network monitor

I also have the latest versions of rox(SVN ~1.3.X) and gimp(1.2.5) that used gtk1 if anyone is interested
blinky-gtk1.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  blinky-gtk1.gz 
Filesize  14.28 KB 
Downloaded  375 Time(s) 

DemostiX

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr 2010, 02:34    Post subject:
Subject description: NTFS write support?

Pleased with fit, finish, and snap of 2.14 RC5, just tried; not that I was ever disappointed in Series 4.20 + pups since becoming a Puppy lover 14 months ago.

But, I couldn't write a playlist file to the NTFS volume from which I'd been listening to tracks. Will there be NTFS write support? Or is this not possible/desireable with this 2.6.18 Linux kernel?
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr 2010, 03:08    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
I recompiled ttuuxxx's blinky for gtk-1.2 - it works for displaying traffic, but may be missing some other features that I don't use. Maybe someone with a low end machine will want it for the lower resource usage though.

kb usage according to top
gtk2 = 11056
gtk1 = 3728

Edit: while I am at it ... some other gtk1 apps

Minimum Profit - highlighting text editor with tabs and more
Graphical Process Statistics - like top and pprocess combined
Ggradebook - tool for teachers
xmms - fairly up to date audio player (it is over half of this tarball)
gtkedit - basic text editor
gftp - same ftp client that is in puppy but version 2.18
gvidm - screen resolution setter
blinky - network monitor

I also have the latest versions of rox(SVN ~1.3.X) and gimp(1.2.5) that used gtk1 if anyone is interested

Thanks techno I'll check them Smile. glad to see less memory usage, nice bonus Smile
ttuuxxx

mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr 2010, 08:24    Post subject: geode driver  

C'mon ttuuxx,
Put a geode driver in RC6. Will you?... Very Happy
Anything newer than xorg-x11-drv-geode 2.10.0 should be OK.

sinc

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr 2010, 23:49    Post subject:  

Can someone help me figure out how to make this version of open office work with 214x. It seems to me that all the dependencies PPM says it is missing are actually there.

Thanks

http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/PuppyLinux/pri/pet/ooo32.pet
Roy

PostPosted: Fri 30 Apr 2010, 08:29    Post subject:  

DemostiX,

I am traveling around with a netbook at the moment, using a different pup, but if memory serves -- try mounting your NTFS drive with one of the other ROX Pinboard (desktop) tools for NTFS write capability. A quick search of this thread will show where I previously encountered the same problem and a few responses later (by someone else), the detailed fix (user action). http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Sinc wrote:
Quote:
Can someone help me figure out how to make this version of open office work with 214x

I second that request. Pri's Open Office 3.2 really is good!

-Roy
37fleetwood

PostPosted: Sat 01 May 2010, 06:35    Post subject:  

I've been watching this thread with much interest. it seems this is the direction Puppy should have gone.
I've been playing with RC-5 and am very impressed! I have one request before you release the final, instead of GQview, can you swap it for Geeqie? GQview is the old dead project, someone has picked the project up and made many very good improvements in Geeqie. it uses GTK2, I don't know enough to know if that will be a problem. it's about the same basic size, puppyluvr made a .pet for use in his Puppy Artist Workshop (based on 4.12) not sure it is usable as it is, but the thread for P.A.W. is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40876
the Geeqie .Pet is on page 5.

the link to the page for Geeqie is here:
http://geeqie.sourceforge.net/

either way thank you for all your work on this great re-vamping of 2.14, Amazing!

I'm a PC... Without Windows
clarf

PostPosted: Mon 03 May 2010, 10:12    Post subject:  

Dingo wrote:
MinHundHettePerro wrote:
2byte
As to click-mounting .sfs-files in Rox: it works very well for squashfs-files of version 3.0, as used in puppy series 2 (and, I think series 3) but, not for squashfs ver. 3.1, as used in 4.12, nor for squashfs ver. 4, as used in later puppies, quirkies, waries etc.

Yes, I discovered this behavior when I made my

*sfs compatibility chart*

You could update or change you kernel patching it with a newer squashfs version, then this new kernel will be able to load different SFS versions in 214X.

In full install it´s very easy to accomplish, and you can simplify the work if you compile BarryK patched sources (I used 2.16.8.8 patched with squashfs 3.3 version). For frugal is a little more complicated, I´m experimenting with this right now and I have reached some good results with a small effort. There is a good thread about this process, I shared some of my own experiences here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=33461&start=52

In Puppy 214X there are many additional drivers in zdrv_214.sfs file (as we learned with the full installation problems that we had in past releases). The problem is know what should be left in the zdv file and what should go in the pup_xxx.sfs file, there are some size considerations but I don´t know a general rule or standard for that.

I also found some redundant information in zdrv_214.sfs and pup_214.sfs files, for example the Ndiswrapper module is in both SFS files but the size and date are different, I suppose Puppy modprobe script (a workaround/wraper used by Barry to load external modules in zdrv) uses the one from pup_214X.sfs because it´s found first, anyway its unnecessary to have that redundancy.

I think if we do a deep search and classification for these files we could reduce the pup file, moving some modules to the zdr file, obviously the zdrv size will be increased but the boot time and memory consumption will be lower for 2.14X.

The attached pic shows the redundant Ndiswrapper module in zdrv (upper) and pup (bottom) SFS files.

clarf
ndiswrapper_redundant_file.png
 Description   The one Ndiswrapper file from pup_214X.sfs is newer
 Filesize   188.01 KB
 Viewed   1689 Time(s)

ndiswrapper_redundant_file.png

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 04 May 2010, 01:40    Post subject:  

37fleetwood wrote:
I've been watching this thread with much interest. it seems this is the direction Puppy should have gone.
I've been playing with RC-5 and am very impressed! I have one request before you release the final, instead of GQview, can you swap it for Geeqie? GQview is the old dead project, someone has picked the project up and made many very good improvements in Geeqie. it uses GTK2, I don't know enough to know if that will be a problem. it's about the same basic size, puppyluvr made a .pet for use in his Puppy Artist Workshop (based on 4.12) not sure it is usable as it is, but the thread for P.A.W. is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40876
the Geeqie .Pet is on page 5.

the link to the page for Geeqie is here:
http://geeqie.sourceforge.net/

either way thank you for all your work on this great re-vamping of 2.14, Amazing!

Seconded. I've downloaded and am using Geeqie now and it's as good as GQView was.

Acer Aspire M1610 (Core 2 Duo, 2.3 GHz), 3 GB of RAM, 320 GB hard drive running Sparky 4.7 (32-bit), Emmabuntus 3.1.02, AntiX 17.2 (32-bit), Slint 14.2.1.1, LXLE 14.04.5, Pardus 17.4, CrunchBang++ and Mint Debian 3.
Bligh

PostPosted: Tue 04 May 2010, 03:22    Post subject:  

With so many choices, I am not using 2.14x at the moment, but it is great to see a previous version updated. If it works well, there is little reason for it to disappear. A lot of us may not know how to update it. Thanks.
Cheers
zenfunk

PostPosted: Tue 04 May 2010, 08:23    Post subject:  

Hm, seeing the updated series two getting more and more followers I really start to wonder if it would be a good base for new derivatives. Since I'm not willing to read well over 300 pages of thread, could someone enlighten me please, what is 2.14x all about?
Which difference is there between the architecture of 2.14 and say the 4. series?
Is there a webpage with a FAQ?
Which pet packages will work, can I use the latest ubuntu .deb- packages?
Can I remaster it?
Thanks in advance for your information.
Christian
Page 239 of 346 [5187 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, ..., 344, 345, 346 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: