How to build my own Puppy?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Tommylee567

How to build my own Puppy?

#1 Post by Tommylee567 »

Dear All,

I recently viewed BK's blog and I found out that I can create a puplet on my own.
But there are some problems. I don't know how to do it step by step, I need a guide sheet etc.

Now 4 days before I downloaded the upup 458 version and I liked the way it is linked to ubuntu ( I really hate ubuntu, but keeping puppy on the base and setting the topping as ubuntu I liked the idea).
I see that it is in the beta stage and it has some bugs.
Idea is I want to build it from scratch. Want to include these things as a personal interest.

1.XFCE as the main WM. Don't like JWM. (Jolly good if it runs Compiz)
2.Need to share internet connection with others by Wifi. The modem is a 3G Huawei E156 and I need to share the net connection with other two pc's (which are windows XP and 7) and also need to keep a log of them too.
3.Have to include most of applications instead of maintaining the size to 100 or 200 MB. It doesn't matter if it is a 700MB distro. (Want it jam packed like TeenPup legacy)
4.Has to have 2 kernels. One the latest and the other for retro pcs.
5.If it is a Ubuntu Karmic Puppy, then I can download packages using other distros packages.
6.Also need to include all the drivers so that It can recognize any hardware.
7.Should be (mainly) running for old pcs. (example: 1.13GHz, 256 RAM, 80 GB HDD, with 32 MB Video – it is a Dell Latitude C810)

So these are the basic things that I need to have. How can I build such a distro? Because I wasted my bandwidth downloading all sorts of linux distros and still nothing fits my need. One thing works and the other doesn't. And the woof puppy, devs are hard to understand.
Can some one here guide me to do something from scratch? My dad is interested in puppy and he wants me to build a distro (err... a puplet).
Please help me out.

Thanks a lot to all who reply
Tim

adXok

#2 Post by adXok »

Haha... that's funny. Another entusiast like me:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54623

Think we are on one side, buddy! 8)

Tommylee567

#3 Post by Tommylee567 »

Bro, some good news. But i think this should be stickied.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47331

Need some brains i guess. !!

Thanks,
Tim

adXok

#4 Post by adXok »

Oh, thank you! I allready tried with Woof all by my own suggestion and nothing came as a result (packages missing, features missing and so on).

First got to read it and set up my brain... :lol: