Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Tasgarth

#281 Post by Tasgarth »

Lucid 008,
About Nvidia, and GeForce card with a jerky video screen under Flash.,
I modified the screen resolution through 'xorgwizard' and put
1600 x 1200 x 24 (OK for monitor, maybe NOT OK for card) .
and now it's OK for me
Disabling hardware acceleration works for me.
seen on Adobe Forums :
"http://forums.adobe.com/message/972329#972329"
right clic > Flash settings > disable hardware acceleration > rerun the stream ( because options fields of Flash are completely grey !)

mories

Configure X - Lucid Puppy 000

#282 Post by mories »

The X configuration is right for Intel 945GM.
This method should be preferred to the former.
Only problem with X keyboard settings, not take configuration parameter PKEYS specified (/etc/keymap)
Tanks.

Eyes-Only

#283 Post by Eyes-Only »

Just to let you know Micko - and PlayDayz too btw! - I'm a little slow in keeping up here with this particular section of the forum but I AM following along with the process of Lucid Pup and am still enjoying all of this immensely! :)

I also just now tuned in, would like to be counted in as having tested the "update" mentioned above with the QuickPackage, and it went fabulously well here - 5 stars and two thumbs up! Really think this will be an incredible way to keep Puppy updated and all.

Wow... :shock: I feel like I'm running in the Big Leagues now with updates and everything! And to think: All this for only 133megs... IS this much fun even LEGAL?

LOL!

Cheers mates!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
"Typed from Chromium in Lupu-008"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Sit Heel Speak

#284 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

phil812 wrote:when I try to execute nvidia-file it's fails with:
"The CC version check failed:
The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.3) does not exactly match the current compiler (gcc 4.4)...."
Loadable kernel modules must be compiled using the same versions of gcc and libc.so.6 as the kernel was compiled under.

Lupu's devx supplies the gcc 4.4.3 and the newer libc.so.6 2.11.<something> binaries from Ubuntu Lucid, but the kernel was compiled (by Barry) presumably using the gcc 4.3.<something> and libc.so.6 2.10.<something> in Quirky-018 (or maybe Wary-019, not sure).

If you try compiling that driver module under either Quirky-018 or Wary-019 using its own devx, you might succeed, and the resulting .ko (copied over into Lupu's /lib/modules/2.6.33.2) should run under Lupu.

What Lupu really needs is *two* devx .sfs's, one (gcc 4.3.n) for compiling loadable kernel modules and the other (gcc 4.4.n) for compiling applications, .so libraries and executable binaries.

Or else recompile the kernel under Ubuntu's gcc+libc.so.6. Then it could remain with a single devx. This is to my mind the preferable solution.

Give me a few days...

playdayz

#285 Post by playdayz »

phil812, you are getting advice from a master.
If you try compiling that driver module under either Quirky-018 or Wary-019 using its own devx, you might succeed, and the resulting .ko (copied over into Lupu's /lib/modules/2.6.33.2) should run under Lupu.

What Lupu really needs is *two* devx .sfs's, one (gcc 4.3.n) for compiling loadable kernel modules and the other (gcc 4.4.n) for compiling applications, .so libraries and executable binaries.

Or else recompile the kernel under Ubuntu's gcc+libc.so.6. Then it could remain with a single devx. This is to my mind the preferable solution.
But, but, but.... This seems odd to me--it seems ppen. I mean people should be able to compile the Catalyst and Nvidia drivers. I am going to ask Barry--maybe this is an artifact of the development that will correct itself.

Oh, I see, Barry compiled the kernel under gcc 4.4.3 and then I just updated Lupu to gcc 4.4.4. Yuck.
ok yes=works no=doesn't work.. a quick test

mp4 yes
mp3 yes
divx yes
flac yes
wmv yes
mp3 yes

wma no
Where do you get wma? I don't have any ;-) I know RealPlayer will play it. I would like it if gxine would. I have a new version with all of the ubuntu codecs rather than Barry's pet package.

Gxine It played mpg, avi, wmv, and mov (they all defaulted to gxine)

flac defaulted to pmusic but would open with gxine
mp3 "
m4a "
ogg "

I will be doing more testing: This new version should play divx and what else? The wma is the w32 "restricted" codecs--am I right? I would be comfortable telling people who want to play wma to install RealPlayer.. Is that the Puppy way?

playdayz

#286 Post by playdayz »

It is easier for me to ask. I am not proud.

In 009 I would like to use the automatic configuration of X that is in 000. To make it nice I would like to open xrandrshell on the *first boot* so that the user can easily make a change to resolution if need be--but in most cases it should be OK and the info will be only informative--perfectly OK. But I don't want it opening on subsequent boots of course.

So, how to run a program on first boot only? Thanks. It is one thing holding up 009--which I think will serve as an alpha.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Eyes-Only, We have been together quite a while now, back into the K-Meleon days. It is always a pleasure to associate with a gentleman of such graciousness--and discernment ;-) I am very glad you are enjoying Luci Pup. Merci.

jrb

#287 Post by jrb »

playdayz wrote:So, how to run a program on first boot only?
This works:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
  if [ ! -L /mnt/home ]; then
	exec /usr/sbin/xrandrshell
  else
	continue
  fi
Place it in a script in /root/Startup or place it in /usr/sbin/delayedrun.

Cheers, J

playdayz

#288 Post by playdayz »

Thanks jrb.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concerning compiling the Nvidia driver and the gcc 4.4.3/4.4.4 thing--for Mayday we might be able to put a compiled version of both the Nvidia and ATI catalyst drivers into QuickPackage.

darwinev0lved

lucid 000

#289 Post by darwinev0lved »

Hi just a quick report on the experimental lucid - 'fraid it didn't get past the Xorgwizard. I'm assuming it's the old picking the wrong intel driver problem (that lupup008 gives you the option to choose). So the Ubuntu way is not too smart if it's picking the wrong driver :D

Having said that - I tried the Ubuntu 10.04beta2 running off a usbstick and although it boots with the speed of a dead dog, it did find the right driver - so they're obviously doing something right.

playdayz

Re: lucid 000

#290 Post by playdayz »

darwinev0lved wrote:Hi just a quick report on the experimental lucid - 'fraid it didn't get past the Xorgwizard. I'm assuming it's the old picking the wrong intel driver problem (that lupup008 gives you the option to choose). So the Ubuntu way is not too smart if it's picking the wrong driver :D

Having said that - I tried the Ubuntu 10.04beta2 running off a usbstick and although it boots with the speed of a dead dog, it did find the right driver - so they're obviously doing something right.
hey darwinevolved, in 009 you will be able to go to new-wizard if the auto config fails and that has the option to handle the alrenate intel driver. Please let us know. thanks.

darwinev0lved

#291 Post by darwinev0lved »

playdayz wrote:
darwinev0lved wrote:Hi just a quick report on the experimental lucid - 'fraid it didn't get past the Xorgwizard. I'm assuming it's the old picking the wrong intel driver problem (that lupup008 gives you the option to choose). So the Ubuntu way is not too smart if it's picking the wrong driver :D

hey darwinevolved, in 009 you will be able to go to new-wizard if the auto config fails and that has the option to handle the alternate intel driver. Please let us know. thanks.
As soon as 009 is out, I'll give it a whirl.
On a completely unrelated point - has anybody tried to get apt/synaptic working? - I know there was a lot of work done on it for dpup but it's all gone quiet over there.
regards,

playdayz

#292 Post by playdayz »

On a completely unrelated point - has anybody tried to get apt/synaptic working? - I know there was a lot of work done on it for dpup but it's all gone quiet over there.
No on apt/synaptic. We will not have that implemented when we release Lucid Puppy. it is an interesting point. On first thought it seems like a no brainer and maybe it is something for 5.1, but it does not work absolutely straightforwardly--that is, Lucid puppy has a different organization and consequently not all ubuntu programs are a straight fit. What I mean by saying that Lucid puppy can use ubuntu binaries is that it is easier than ever to prepare programs for use in a Puppy. You can see that from the list of programs in QuickPackage, I did several of those per day (01micko did some and a few were adopted from earlier Puppies). Personally, I have put the energy into making sure that a small number of very high quality programs are available for LuciPup and that they are configured and tested for LuciPup and available with a one-click install. Those are the ones in QP. That is not what apt/synaptic would give us even in the best of conditions. On the idea that LuciPup is to be friendly and easy, I think the one-click install with the big pretty colorful icons is desirable. i hope that makes sense.

phil812

#293 Post by phil812 »

Sit Heel Speak and playdayz thanks for your answers!
Sit Heel Speak wrote:If you try compiling that driver module under either Quirky-018 or Wary-019 using its own devx, you might succeed, and the resulting .ko (copied over into Lupu's /lib/modules/2.6.33.2) should run under Lupu
playing with wary-19 and it's devx_sfs give no result :( : ERROR: Installtion has failed. Please read the log-file

downloading wary-20
but where's the devx_sfs?

luther349

nice

#294 Post by luther349 »

downloaded it to test it. its alot cleaner then puppy 4.3. i just hope you don't move away from pets as your main packages. when on a live cd using debs normaly downloads a bunch of other libarys. i know puppy 4.4 is the last of the series before 5.0 woof.

im using a old machine and the new puppy broswer is so fast even with flash plugin that you included :D

phil812

#295 Post by phil812 »

playdayz wrote:What I mean by saying that Lucid puppy can use ubuntu binaries is that it is easier than ever to prepare programs for use in a Puppy
I appreciated it already.. make packages never was so easy! now i can use all power of linux.... like flush torrent client (farewell, deluge!) and eiskalt dc++ client (rest in peace, linuxdcpp!).... and so on
playdayz wrote:That is not what apt/synaptic would give us even in the best of conditions.
yes, indeed.. apt/synaptic really sucks! and i wonder why do we need another ms windows or ubuntu?

darwinev0lved

#296 Post by darwinev0lved »

playdayz wrote:
No on apt/synaptic. We will not have that implemented when we release Lucid Puppy. it is an interesting point. On first thought it seems like a no brainer and maybe it is something for 5.1, but it does not work absolutely straightforwardly--that is, Lucid puppy has a different organization and consequently not all ubuntu programs are a straight fit. What I mean by saying that Lucid puppy can use ubuntu binaries is that it is easier than ever to prepare programs for use in a Puppy. You can see that from the list of programs in QuickPackage, I did several of those per day (01micko did some and a few were adopted from earlier Puppies). Personally, I have put the energy into making sure that a small number of very high quality programs are available for LuciPup and that they are configured and tested for LuciPup and available with a one-click install. Those are the ones in QP. That is not what apt/synaptic would give us even in the best of conditions. On the idea that LuciPup is to be friendly and easy, I think the one-click install with the big pretty colorful icons is desirable. i hope that makes sense.
Yes of course it makes sense. :)

95% of my time (probably 100% of the work I do) is spent on a handful of programs: openoffice, firefox, thunderbird, foxit, so getting those to work on a one click install is really appreciated.

The other 5% is spent mucking around - I'm a Windows refugee, not a developer / programmer and however ugly a solution apt/synaptic is, it makes life really easy for people like me. Having said that, I recognise that getting it to work for a frugal install is hard (I did follow all the discussions for the dpup attempt) and not on the radar for 5.0. I was just curious if anybody had had a go getting it to work.

01micko

#297 Post by 01micko »

Hi all

I just compiled Joe Wing's latest JWM revision 490. in lupu-009. Seems to work just fine for me. Apparently there were some problems with assigning keyboard shortcuts and with this version it is fixed.

Source from joewing.net

restart X after installation

Cheers

PETSPECS

jwm-490-Lucid-i486|jwm|490-Lucid-i486||BuildingBlock|184K||jwm-490-Lucid-i486.pet|x-window system|window manager|ubuntu|lucid||
Attachments
jwm-490-Lucid-i486.pet
(74.12 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
Last edited by 01micko on Fri 23 Apr 2010, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#298 Post by 01micko »

I have also compiled GtkDialog Patriot Edition .. source from here.

It is the same one BarryK uses in Quirky and the latest known version of GtkDialog.

The main executable is gtkdialog3 but I have made a symlink to it called gtkdialog, that will run gtkdialog scripts not made in Puppy. Also compiled on 009. Works fine. Many of zigbert's newer apps will work better with this one, notably Pburn and DuDE.

Also included is a DOC pet needed for the devx,sfs. It has all the examples which are an important tool for developers, they are missing from all lupu's devx so far.

Cheers

PETSPECS

gtkdialog3-0.7.20-pe1-Lucid|gtkdialog3|0.7.20-pe1-Lucid||BuildingBlock|188K||gtkdialog3-0.7.20-pe1-Lucid.pet|x-window system|GtkDialog|ubuntu|lucid||

gtkdialog3_DOC-0.7.20-pe1-Lucid|gtkdialog3_DOC|0.7.20-pe1-Lucid||BuildingBlock|328K||gtkdialog3_DOC-0.7.20-pe1-Lucid.pet|gtkdialog|GtkDialog3 documentation||||
Attachments
gtkdialog3-0.7.20-pe1-Lucid.pet
(62.89 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
gtkdialog3_DOC-0.7.20-pe1-Lucid.pet
for DEVX
(19.61 KiB) Downloaded 425 times

aarf

#299 Post by aarf »

lupu009:
quickpackage v1.2: click pwidgets icon and the gui then blanks out and nothing seems to happen, same in lupu008.

cosmetics:
file system> file managers> rox ; one sub menu too many.
same in graphics>graphics processing> only two to chose from so reduce it to previous menu.
and business> calculate> ditto
document> document publishing>abiword too far for just one option.

quickpet icon is over connect icon on initial boot.

01micko

#300 Post by 01micko »

hello aarf

Pwidgets is hosted on Caneri's puppylinux.ca server and the last few days he has had problems on and off. Worked ok for me. Perhaps I'll put in an error message if the server, whatever server it may be, has a problem.

Cheers