Manual frugal install

Booting, installing, newbie
rtb

Manual frugal install

#1 Post by rtb »

I've been trying to manually do a frugal install by copying the files over from the iso and then pointing grub to it. I'm guessing this isn't possible? Puppy can only be installed via universal installer?

Jim1911

#2 Post by Jim1911 »

A frugal installation can easily be done manually by mounting the iso and then
copying the files vmlinuz, initrd.gz and pup-xxx.sfs (and maybe z*.sfs, the "zdrv") to a directory on a partition. This partition may already have something installed on it and that will not be disturbed. This can be any type of partition, MSDOS, Windows (FAT, NTFS) or Linux (EXT2, EXT3, EXT4 or REISERFS). It's OK to just copy all the iso files, but only these are necessary.

The next step is to modify your GRUB menu.lst to identify the location of the files. Your code should be similar to this.

Code: Select all

# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Pup 431 (on /dev/sdb7) 
root (hd1,6)
kernel /pup431/vmlinuz pfix=fsck pmedia=idehd pdev1=sdb7 psubdir=pup431
initrd /pup431/initrd.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends 
Note: The subdirectory can not be more than one level (ie. /dev/sdb7/pup431) from the root of the partition. It is identified in three places as psubdir in the above code. If your hard disk is a PATA (IDE) drive, the above code is OK. If it's a newer SATA drive then change "pmedia=idehd" to "pmedia=satahd".

rtb

#3 Post by rtb »

Thanks for your time. I've just realized that I was trying different versions of 4.31, which my computer doesn't like I guess. The method you described worked perfectly for me with 4.21

looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#4 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

Exactly what I've found installing Puppy to lots of old computers.

I don't even bother with 431 now. If 421 don't do the trick, 421 Retro almost certainly will.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Puppy :D