Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 04:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Now - Puppy 4.3.1 VirtualBox - Much Simpler than Before
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
soccerfan

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct 2009, 18:49    Post_subject: Re: Puppy 4.3.1rc2 Available In VirtualBox
Sub_title: All Features Work

playdayz wrote:
Puppy 4.3.1rc2 is available as a VirtualBox virtual machine. (I am hoping rc2 will become 4.3.1 Final. )

Thanks, I'll try it out tomorrow in the new version of portable virtualbox 3.0.8 that came out a week or so ago Very Happy

soccerfan
Marek

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct 2009, 12:15    Post_subject: Installed succesfully  

Puppy 4.3.1 RC2 on VBOX 3.0.8/VistaSP1. Works well except for copy&paste. Some things I did:

Installed two true type pets:

http://www.gposil.com/pets/Liberation.pet
http://www.gposil.com/pets/ttcorefonts.pet

I had to move /usr/share/fonts to /root/.fonts, else it wouldn't work. Restart x-Server or reboot.

Installed Firefox (looks crappy w/o MS fonts):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46390

> I'd like to copy/install the installation to the VBOX hdd now - the
> PET manager asks me for the .iso file, however. Any ideas?
Update: please forget the question above, your .vmdk is a hdd install already, what was I thinking?
playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct 2009, 15:32    Post_subject:  

Hey marek

the copy and paste should work. you could check in Pprocess and make sure "VBoxClient --clipboard" is running, which it should be. the way i test is to copy something in a browser or wherever in Puppy and then open Word in Windows and paste. that has been working.
LesF

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2009, 00:07    Post_subject: Im missing the networking instructions someplace  

Hi all, thanks for the excellent instructions and for sharing your time.
Have installed virtual box and imported the puppy image. Cant get the browser to see out tho. What I dont seem to be able to google up is...

Do I need to mess with the networking settings on VirtualBox or use defaults.
When I have used AutoDHCP and it has told me that eth0 has been configured, what do I have to do next?
I can ping my host but the browser is not seeing the network, do I have to config the browser connection settings?

Would appreciate some simplistic pointers here, I expect it to be all autoconfigured and dont want to start messing with network setup etc if I am only going to break things that were already correct.

Network is an external ADSL router with DHCP, do I have to config puppy to use that, or does puppy only deal with the VirtualBox network manager?

Thanx
playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2009, 20:41    Post_subject:  

LesF. By default, Puppy will address the virtualbox eth0 device, just as if you had an ethernet cable plugged in (to Puppy). The physical connection is managed by the host. However, you can also set virtualbox to use a usb wireless adaptor directly to the guest but that would steal it from the host. The default is much simpler and more straightforward--the other one scares me Wink

By auto dhcp do you mean the Internet Connection Wizard (the connect icon). From your message it was not clear to me if that is what you are using or if you are doing things from the command line. 0h. OK. Auto DHCP, I just checked and I see that is what you were using. dang, if that works I would think the browser should work. I don't know.

<Add>I just went through it to be sure, but it sounds like this is what you did

connect (Internet Connection Wizard)
Internet by network or wireless lan
eth0
Test eth0
Auto DHCP
Successful
Save
Done
Seamonkey works.
My testing can be compromised however since I prepared the virtual machine on this computer--I will try to test on a different box as I can but my daughter is using it right now for important teen-ager things
LesF

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct 2009, 07:38    Post_subject: Networking is sorted  

Got it sorted now. VirtualBox defaulted to NAT, changed it to bridged, rebooted the client and it came up ok.

Guess I should have read the help files a little further first Smile

Thanks.
hitchup

PostPosted: Sun 01 Nov 2009, 15:50    Post_subject: [SOLVED] Expand Step 2 of the fine print.  

The *sfs were already there. Found they were already there when downloading the openoffice,org sfs.
Installed okay. Need some hand holding for the locations and compile instructions for the sources.
Thank You for the VB instructions.

Quote:
2. Download and install kernel sources sfs and devx sfs in order to run the "Guest Additions" install program to compile and install the VirtualBox Guest Additions. The Guest Additions are the modules and processes that enable the feature set.
playdayz

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 16:24    Post_subject:  

hey hitchup, I am not sure what you mean.
Quote:
Installed okay. Need some hand holding for the locations and compile instructions for the sources.

Quote:
2. Download and install kernel sources sfs and devx sfs in order to run the "Guest Additions" install program to compile and install the VirtualBox Guest Additions. The Guest Additions are the modules and processes that enable the feature set.

The kernel sources and devx are necessary to compile the VirtualBox "guest extensions' which allow copy and paste between host and guest and mouse integration, but those guest extensions are already present so you don't need to do them.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 17:06    Post_subject: Puppy 4.3.1 VirtualBox - Much Simpler than Before
Sub_title: Run Puppy with VBox....anyone

This would make an excellent Puppy development platform. Imagine the light-weightedness of Puppy as a HOST with the ability to run VMs under that host...hummmm.

Has anyone done this?
Does anyone make an ISO run this (like Ubuntu does)?

To get me started, give me some ideas on the effort to do this...to setup a Puppy Host to allow VMs to run on the host. Imagine "what a concept".

Thanks

playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 18:53    Post_subject:  

gcmartin, is this what you mean: a Puppy that runs VirtualBox so that Puppy is a host you can run other OS's inside of? Here is one link that mentions Vuppy--which you can Search for in the Puppy Derivatives forum. I think you will find other Puppies that run or can run VirtualBox.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48414
Marek

PostPosted: Thu 26 Nov 2009, 17:59    Post_subject: convert 4.3.1 RC2 frugal to full?  

Puppy 4.3.1 RC2 is a frugal install (isn't it?). Is it worth it to convert it to a full install for performance gain? If so, how?
bee_pipes

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan 2010, 00:56    Post_subject:  

Man, this place is a goldmine of information. Thanks to all for your time. VBox is up and running like a champ!

Regards,
Pat
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan 2010, 16:50    Post_subject: Now - Puppy 4.3.1 VirtualBox - Much Simpler than Before  

@bee_pipes

Care to explain how you were able to get VirtualBox to come up and run in your Puppy Host?

I'm curious. I'm looking for any instructions to do that.

I went to the forum's Search box and typed VPuppy, but I'm not finding instructions. (I must be doing something wrong)

Help anyone. Thanks
P.S. I wouldn't care if it was KVM or Vbox. Any Virtual Machine approach is a start. (although, my PC has the hardware to support KVM in a Linux host)

This would allow me to test the different Pups and Pets as I streamline to a personal use of Puppy. Thx

theroar

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr 2010, 17:25    Post_subject: Video codecs?
Sub_title: camtasia

First of all... You Rock Playdayz! Awesome VM of puppy. I have been running them for a while, but never with sharing and the extensions enabled. So Cool!

I am creating training videos for a linux module for my 8th graders using Windows, a VM of puppy, and Camtasia. It uses a proprietary codec, so I was converting the .avi files for use in puppy. In that process I stumbled across your VM of linux... and the .avi play without converting!!!!

I cannot replicate it in my puppy 4.3.1 boxes that boot off the live CD.

Any chance you can tell me what you did to get a codec in gxine like that? I have tried adding the xine extra codec -1.pet and it's two other files... but something must be escaping me.

Thanks for your time!

Mike
theroar

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr 2010, 14:56    Post_subject: Make the shared folder permanent?  

Still amazed at how this all works so well.

I am now wondering if there is somewhere I can put the mount command so that it occurs upon booting the vm.

Thanks for your time!

Mike
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot