How to Access a Windows Shared Printer from Puppy 4

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
growler

#81 Post by growler »

I did a manual copy across of the 3 files from the CD over the existing ones.

The symlink looked fine and definitely linked to /opt/samba/bin/smbspool - but didn't work obviously for some reason which I cannot understand.

growler

Another solution

#82 Post by growler »

I got into trouble again ... same details as above... I could not get the CUPS web interface to give me a

Windows Printer Via SAMBA

option. No amount of deleting the link and re-linking worked so I simply copied /opt/samba/bin/smbspool to /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb rather than linking the file et voila ... all back in business.

bee_pipes

#83 Post by bee_pipes »

Hi!
Just a quick word of thanks for this thread. I had just gotten an ASUS eeePC (1005PE) and have found everything needed on these forums to get the windows desktop to share folders and devices (CD & DVD drives) with this netbook. The last shared device to get up was the printer. This thread was invaluable. The instructions posted by rcrsn51 were easily followed. I was not immediately successful on the first try and followed suggestions for getting the printer to produce a test page.

I am running puppy 4.3.1 on the ASUS netbook mentioned above. The printer on the desktop (windows XP) was set to shared on properties. Connecting via pnethood samba shares brought up shared folders and devices. The printer appeared as print$. The printer, a canon pixma mp610, was present on the cups list and was identified as a "windows printer via samba". Tinkering with the uri finally made it work. Following the suggestions I had no luck until specifying the uri by the IP address:

smb://nnn.nnn.n.n/printer

I realize this thread is old as moses, relative to software updates and such, just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to put it down in writing. If any other new folks are getting discouraged trying to get a shared printer on a windows box to work, just keep at it. The instructions in this thread are excellent.

Regards,
Pat

Wognath

Password hidden?

#84 Post by Wognath »

rcrsn51,
Thanks for the great instructions. I used them to network a lab/classroom computer to a windows printer. To allow the connection, I had to include my login and password to the university domain in the printer uri. Can someone confirm that the login/password are well hidden in this semipublic computer? (I tried "modify printer" in CUPS and the password does not appear in the uri.) Thanks.

rcrsn51

#85 Post by rcrsn51 »

As a test, I set up a dummy printer using a password. I then looked at the file /etc/cups/printers.conf and unfortunately the password was visible in plain text.

There are settings in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf that support encryption, but I know nothing about them. And Googling wasn't very helpful.

I'm sure this is not what you want to hear. I suspect that in a true multiuser environment, the printers.conf file is only readable by the root user, so there would not be a security problem like you have with Puppy.

Wognath

Password

#86 Post by Wognath »

I was able to use a local login to share the windows printer. Thanks again for this information about passwords and for the instructions.

ragaman

#87 Post by ragaman »

Thanks to the TS for the info. Saved me from a lot of headaches.