Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 21 Aug 2014, 08:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
DriveMan drive manager and AutoDrive auto. mounter.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 4 [56 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
8-bit

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr 2010, 14:54    Post subject:  

I just ran the driveman.uninstall script and found a potential problem.
With it in the driveman directory, if you select the button to remove both driveman and autodrive, it crashes without removing the autodrive directory.
I moved it outside of the driveman directory and it worked.
But in that case another line needs to be added to delete driveman.uninstall.

I also did some modifications to driveman and driveman.set.gtk3 and with them, I got it to run on Puppy 431 and Puppy 432.

Also, FYI, when I run driveman from a terminal, I get an error message of DEV being a directory.
sunburnt

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr 2010, 15:30    Post subject:  

big_bass; So did you then try replacing the 3 files in: /root/Startup ?
The 2 don`t cause the apps. to boot automatically, they check the Settings file for "true".
And the file: 0_mountdrives.startup only mounts drives if they are listed in:
/mnt/home/apps/driveman/drvboot.lst

Give these last few files a try and let me know, I`d like to release the last beta version.

Terry Cool
8-bit

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr 2010, 02:12    Post subject:  

A nice addition to your driveman program would be for it to autodetect a storage device that was plugged in while it was running and update accordingly.
When I had DM displayed and plugged in a USB flash stick, it was not detected without a restart of driveman.

Also, what about making it a tray application that would pop up?
That way, those that love their nice desktop background pics would not have them cluttered with a DM window.

I know you love these types of suggestions. Wink
sunburnt

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr 2010, 05:48    Post subject:  

Hi 8-bit; DM does show USBs plugged in. For me anyway...
The tray app. is not a bad idea at all...

big_bass; Does DM show and remove USB drives that AutoDrive mounts and unmounts for you?
technosaurus

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr 2010, 10:34    Post subject:  

8-bit wrote:

But in that case another line needs to be added to delete driveman.uninstall.

Code:
#deletes this script
rm $0

$0 is a good little tool for making busybox style scripts that share code and/or functions within the same file. By making symlinks to your bash script with different names, you can change how it operates by checking `basename $0` to determine which functions or code blocks to use.

Code:
#very rough example dir2tar with symlinks for dir2tgz, dir2tbz, dir2xz ...
DIRNAME=$1
tar -cf ${DIRNAME}.tar ${DIRNAME}
[ "`basename $0`" == "dir2tgz" ] && gzip ${DIRNAME}.tar
[ "`basename $0`" == "dir2tbz" ] && bzip ${DIRNAME}.tar
[ "`basename $0`" == "dir2txz" ] && xz ${DIRNAME}.tar

8-bit

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr 2010, 11:22    Post subject:  

sunburnt wrote:
Hi 8-bit; DM does show USBs plugged in. For me anyway...
The tray app. is not a bad idea at all...

big_bass; Does DM show and remove USB drives that AutoDrive mounts and unmounts for you?

My mistake! Embarassed
I did not have autodrive set up to start when booting or restarting X in the settings!
It works!

And just out of curiosity, is this to be a replacement for Hotpup and Pmount?
Also, can it be given a selection to mount selected drives on startup?
The word is selected, not all.
sunburnt

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr 2010, 15:42    Post subject:  

Thanks technosaurus and 8-bit; I didn`t try the uninstall and didn`t think to delete AutoDrive first!
8-bit; DriveMan and AutoDrive doen`t restart X, DriveMan does restart JWM if needed.
I`m not sure what you`re saying about mounting drives at bootup.
If you select a drive in DriveMan`s list and click [ Set Boot } a "B" should appear in the list.
And at bootup the selected drive will be mounted automatically.
8-bit

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr 2010, 02:16    Post subject:  

Thank you for the explanation of the B option. It works as advertised.
I just tried my moded version on the new pup44-a1 (community version),
and had major problems with that OS doing strange things.
driveman still worked as expected, but It could be that since it installs with a script rather than going through Puppy Package Manager, that messed things up.
Of course, puppy 44 uses a strange menu system as it is partially based on stardust.
sunburnt

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr 2010, 03:09    Post subject:  

Yep, it just keeps changing like Linux itself. There doesn`t seem to be any plan, it just happens.
I`ve rewritten apps. several times so they`ll work again, sometimes in the same Puppy version.
If a new version does new hardware or maybe new features, well... maybe. Why else change?
I find a Puppy version that works well on my PCs, and I stay with it, usually 2 per version.

I`ve seen programmers and developers come and go in my 5 years here, mostly programmers.
Lots of time and effort spent with a short shelf life for any app. written. Too much effort...
Effort that truly improves "Linux" is well spent, but most of it amounts to window dressing.
Linux "could" smash M$ Wenners and they know it, but they don`t worry, Linux is scattered.

Effort put to cleaning the legacy mess and especially gtkdialog would be very well spent.
gtkdialog is sooo important, but it`s also sooo hard to use that it`s the biggest bane of Puppy.
And... It would be one of the easier things to straighten out! But without agreement... Nada...
Tried TinyCore? Squash and Web apps. It`s more for hobbyists, but that`s where Puppy started.
8-bit

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr 2010, 03:47    Post subject:  

I do not think it is anything driveman has done! I think it is a glitch in Puppy 44 and have reported it as such.
By the way, with mods I have made to your program, I now can use it with no problems and no errors other than 2.
One is an error of DEV being a directory.
The other is that if a drive is already mounted and you click on ROX from the popup, the way the btnMNT routine is written, the mounted drive is unmounted and then ROX displays an empty directory.
Could a conditional if be added that if $2=rox the umount would be bypassed and rox display the mounted partition? I can live with the way it is now, since I know what is happening.
Also, have you figured out how to get DM not to display the extra mounted directory with the blank name that I assume is the filesystem in memory?

And last, to get driveman to work with my Puppy versions 431 and 432, I did modifications to driveman and driveman.set.gtk3 to where driveman.gtk3 never has to call any functions in driveman to make changes to the settings file!
In my case, that means I can remove all the functions that call writeSET in driveman if I wanted.
Other than getting it's screen position from driveman, I have driveman.set.gtk3 set up to make all changes to the settings file on its own.
sunburnt

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr 2010, 04:35    Post subject:  

8-bit; See my post to big_bass above, he already reported that problem and I fixed it. See code...
Also a fix for the Settings GUI`s 2 "run at boot" CheckBoxes always being on. See code also...
big_bass

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr 2010, 13:00    Post subject:  

sunburnt wrote:
8-bit; See my post to big_bass above, he already reported that problem and I fixed it. See code...
Also a fix for the Settings GUI`s 2 "run at boot" CheckBoxes always being on. See code also...

@8-bit
but It could be that since it installs with a script rather than going through Puppy Package Manager, that messed things up.

I sent sunburnt a pet package of his work I just modified the uninstall script into a
a pinstall script so you start clean and placed the files in the correct folders for petget
to register everything correctly since is all of sunburnts patches and work he has to approve the package
first *maybe you could test it

@sunburnt the pet package works well for me

all of the error 8-bit is having were solved

thanks
Joe

8-bit

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr 2010, 13:17    Post subject:  

big_bass and sunburnt,

I have also been examining the driveman routines and I never could get it to run consistently on Puppy 431 and Puppy 432 without it making an empty settings file. So I did some modifications to it.
That is what open source is after all.
Anyway, could either or both of you check out my modifications by running it with my mods to driveman and driveman.set.gtk3?
Be sure to back up your original files and then extract the files to /root/my-applications/driveman.

Caution, it needs to be started the first time with NO settings file.
driveman_mod3.tar.gz
Description  Highly modified driveman and driveman.set.gtk3 files. Extract to the driveman directory to test and remove or rename your exsisting settings file.
gz

Download 
Filename  driveman_mod3.tar.gz 
Filesize  3.93 KB 
Downloaded  249 Time(s) 
8-bit

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr 2010, 15:40    Post subject:  

In the original driveman script and also the one I modified, I noticed an error that occurs before the DM window shows.
The initial placement of the DM window is taken from guiinfo.
But if there is no guiinfo file on first run it is created with
Code:
   [ ! -e $guiINFO ]&& echo -e 'LEFT=60'\\n'TOP=80' > $guiINFO                     # if none, make GUI position file

What it should be is
Code:
   [ ! -e $guiINFO ]&& echo -e 'X=60'\\n'Y=80' > $guiINFO                     # if none, make GUI position file

I assume this because I see no reference to LEFT and TOP being used for initial position of the DM window.
sunburnt

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr 2010, 18:04    Post subject:  

Good eye 8-bit, and yet another left over from changes. Left and Top is far more descriptive than X and Y.
X and Y could be any dimension ( Left, Top, Width, Height ) and for any GUI object or even the screen.
Page 3 of 4 [56 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: