Google translate desktop

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
robwoj44

Google translate desktop

#1 Post by robwoj44 »

http://tediscript.blogspot.com/search/l ... %20desktop
Google translator.

The dependencies:
java from (login:puppy, password:linux)
http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/bugs/java-1.6u17.pet
Attachments
google-translate-desktop.pet
Google translator
(45.04 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
Last edited by robwoj44 on Mon 03 May 2010, 10:41, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

What does it do?

#2 Post by bigpup »

What is this?
What is it for?
What does it do?

robwoj44

#3 Post by robwoj44 »

It is simply google translator. The same as you can use at translate.google.com in your browser.

bigpup

English translation web page

#4 Post by bigpup »

Found an English translation of the web page
http://code.google.com/p/google-translate-desktop/

TheAsterisk!

#5 Post by TheAsterisk! »

I have version 0.57 available.

No longer functioning.
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Mon 19 Dec 2011, 08:26, edited 5 times in total.

TheAsterisk!

#6 Post by TheAsterisk! »

UPDATED to version 0.6.

No longer functioning.
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Mon 19 Dec 2011, 08:26, edited 2 times in total.

Jasper

#7 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

I just tried the pet in Slacko 5.3 Main and got the message below.

My regards
Attachments
translate.jpg
(26.4 KiB) Downloaded 1392 times

TheAsterisk!

#8 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Jasper wrote:Hi,

I just tried the pet in Slacko 5.3 Main and got the message below.

My regards
Huh.
I didn't get this when I tested initially, but I am getting this now. (Why I didn't before, I can't say.)

A version 0.7 is out now, anyway, so I'll try that one, and if it works I'll upload a dot-pet.

EDIT: Nope! Same API/authorization problem. Version 0.6 and the older version (0.57) on my computer no longer work, either. I'll make a note of it in my previous posts.

Essentially, Google wants to charge you (or the application developers-- I'm not entirely sure which party Google was singling out) for using their Translate service without visiting the web page. To get this program working, you have to log-in (so you need a Google account, too) and give them billing information before turning the API on and using it.

If anyone still wants the application for Puppy as a dot-pet that badly, even with the requirements and fees Google demands, I'll upload it, but given that the web form for Translate is still free-of-charge, I won't bother with it right now.

Hello, old friend!

MosheElisha

#9 Post by MosheElisha »

Hey,

I am the developer of Google Translate Desktop which is and always will be a free open source project.

Unfortunately, Google have decided to start charging money for their translation service:
Important: Google Translate API v1 was officially deprecated on May 26, 2011; it was shut off completely on December 1, 2011. For text translations, you can use the Google Translate API v2, which is now available as a paid service
Starting version 0.6 - Google Translate Desktop uses the API v2 as the v1 is no longer available and sadly, it requires a Google account that will be charged for the translations (pricing).

There are some advantages of using the desktop client (like history, hot key, files and subtitles (SRT) translation) but I am afraid it is not free and sometimes that makes all the difference.

Thank you for providing the PET in the past and maybe in the future if anyone is interested.

aarf

#10 Post by aarf »

MosheElisha wrote:Hey,

I am the developer of Google Translate Desktop which is and always will be a free open source project.

Unfortunately, Google have decided to start charging money for their translation service:
Important: Google Translate API v1 was officially deprecated on May 26, 2011; it was shut off completely on December 1, 2011. For text translations, you can use the Google Translate API v2, which is now available as a paid service
Starting version 0.6 - Google Translate Desktop uses the API v2 as the v1 is no longer available and sadly, it requires a Google account that will be charged for the translations (pricing).

There are some advantages of using the desktop client (like history, hot key, files and subtitles (SRT) translation) but I am afraid it is not free and sometimes that makes all the difference.

Thank you for providing the PET in the past and maybe in the future if anyone is interested.
google is transforming itself into microsoft2.> crowd sourcing apps then suddenly without forewarning or prior advice or consent charging for what other people have helped to create for free. try http://duckduckgo.com for searching

daijonmiller

#11 Post by daijonmiller »

It can quickly translate almost any text between 58 languages, and pronounce for 34 languages of them. The new Google Translate Desktop V2.1 enables to translate website on the browser side.