MPlayer install problems

Using applications, configuring, problems
Adrian Fischer

MPlayer install problems

#1 Post by Adrian Fischer »

Greetings All,

I have used the dotpup to install Mplayer but when I try and run it it opens the application to and freezed the whole system. all it shows on the screen is a black frame that says video. No control buttons no nothing. I am on a Dell Optiplex GX1 450 mhz with 256 m ram. I runs puppy beautifully and has done so for weeks with out a glitch (well only the ones that I created).

I downloaded all available bits and peices available for MPlayer including the bugfix. Has any one got it working? From the posts Ive found it would seem that some have but for the life of me I cant see whats going wrong.

Any one care to help?

thanks

Adrian Fischer
Brisbane, Australia

MU

#2 Post by MU »

do you get an error-message, when you run "mplayer" or "gmplayer" in a consolewindow?
Mark

jcoder24

#3 Post by jcoder24 »

I think there are two versions of mplayer floating around one for xvesa and one for xorg. Check if you are trying to use the xorg version on xvesa or vice versa.

Adrian Fischer

#4 Post by Adrian Fischer »

wooohoo..I am pretty new to Linux but managed to get the thing to run in a console window without an error using gmplayer. Using mplayer in a console window it ends up back at the hash then nothing.

So what can I do now to get it to run from start menu or an icon on the desktop?

Thanks for you help so far.

Oh Im using xorg

Adrian Fischer
Brisbane Australia

MU

#5 Post by MU »

The Dotpups should create an entry in the Startmenu (Dotpups).

You also can drag /usr/local/bin/gmplayer from the Rox-filer (the Home-icon) to your Desktop.
Right-click your new Icon then to set your own picture (many are in /usr/share/pixmaps).

Mark

Adrian Fischer

#6 Post by Adrian Fischer »

Thanks MU,

the dotpup did create an item in Start bit using it freezes the system. Ill try dragging it to the desktop from the folder when I get home.

It runs fine when I get it going from the console however it will wont go to full screen. The screen has a black border all the way round it with the movie in a small screen inthe middle. Doesnt matter if I change the aspect or anything it doesn go full screen. Any ideas on that one?
Adrian Fischer
Brisbane, Australia

MU

#7 Post by MU »

"Real" fullscreen needs the "xv"-driver set in the Video-options (right-click the window for the options).
xv enables hardware-accelleration, but is just available in x.org.

I you use Xvesa, you cannot use fullscreen with mplayer.
Mark

MU

#8 Post by MU »

If on your computer mplayer only runs from a console, use this script to launch it with the mouse:

edit /usr/local/mplayer..../run-mplayer in leafpad

Replace the lines there with these:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/puppybasic
include "/usr/lib/wxbasicscript/basefunctions.inc"

APP = "gmplayer"

shell("rxvt -title mplayerlauncher -bg yellow -geometry 30x10+200+200 -e " & APP & " &")

shell("sleep 2")

mywin = getwinidbyname("mplayerlauncher")

xwin_iconify("0x" & mywin) 
Now the entry in the Dotpups-menu should work.
This script does not launch gmplayer directly.
Instead, it opens a consolefirst, and runs gmplayer in it.
After that the console is iconified.

Mark