Questions About Puppy Linux~~!

Booting, installing, newbie
redhawkfineart

Questions About Puppy Linux~~!

#1 Post by redhawkfineart »

After searching through the forums. I Have some questions about what puppy linux can do. I'm thinking about just running puppy linux from cd but with only a motherboard,cd drive, cd-burner, memory, a video card with s-video out. Can puppy linux support s-video so I can run it to a tv? when running puppy linux from cd when using the OS can i burn cds using the cd burner with out a hard drive? and what about using a usb pen drive as storage when using puppy linux live cd? is that possible?

any responses would be great

redhawk

Ted Dog

s-video?

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

Puppy linux will function in the manner you have setup. I have a box w/o HD and can burn DVDs or CD's. Memory useage is high but I can get by with 256M. The only thing I haven't been able to get to work (haven't tried too hard) was the s-video out.
You may not be able to store CD sized files in memory due to limits of size of memory supported by puppy. Having two CD (one a burner) may get around this somewhat, it is easier to backup same sized data ( not Video ) DVDs, than CDs
It is a cheap way to get on the internet, hear music, or watch DVDs (try getting a DVD burner they are just ten dollars more than CD-only burners) and can burn both.
I'm still waiting of the day when I can get a laptop w/o a HD with a DVD burner.

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

Getting TV out to work involves setting up your xorg.conf file suitably. And, of course, only certain xorg drivers support this feature.
What, exactly, is your graphics card?

redhawkfineart

#4 Post by redhawkfineart »

Thanks for the info it really helps, and my video card is a Radeon 7000

redhawk

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

Radeon TV out support is not great.
The latest ATi closed source drivers do support this, but only for Radeon 8500-9200.
The Xorg ATi drivers need to be patched (from http://gatos.sourceforge.net/) and recompiled. This is not a trivial task.
Then in xorg.conf, in Section "Device" you need this line -
Option "TVOutput" "NTSC" # or "PAL"

But there is a simple utility called atitvout from http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/atitvout/ designed to activate TV out display on ATi Rage and some(?) Radeons, which I now attach.

Gunzip these 2 files. Make sure you have set up Puppy with the Xorg server, not Xvesa, and your resolution is 800x600.
Run atitest.sh to see if your graphics adaptor is likely to be compatible.
Then run "atitvout detect" to list attached displays (your TV must be connected and switched on).
Then run "atitvout ntsc t" to set output to TV with NTSC standard.
Attachments
atitest.sh.gz
(266 Bytes) Downloaded 413 times
atitvout.gz
(8.03 KiB) Downloaded 407 times