PC Chhips M789CG MB no sound

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
wscarl

PC Chhips M789CG MB no sound

#1 Post by wscarl »

PC Chhips M789CG MB no sound AC97 REV. 2.3 VIA chipset. What driver module need to be inserted in kernal. Puppy updated 1.07 to 1.08 to 1.08r1 I download complete modules: ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... te.tar.gz- and install then re-install alsacore and alsa-oss - ran alsacfg and restart- YeeeeeeeeeeHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! Sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Instructions
1. Download & Install alsacore-1.0.10-0124a.pup
2. Open console and run alsacfg
3. Follow onscreen instructions.
4. Answer Yes to "Do you want to modify /etc/modules.conf?" if you want alsa to load on boot.

Misc. Download
alsa-oss.pup. Try this in addition to the alsacore package if sound doesn't work with all of your applications.
Last edited by wscarl on Thu 16 Mar 2006, 15:23, edited 2 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

If you're running a pre 1.0.8 puppy, it may be that you only need to install ALSA.
ALSA comes standard with 1.0.8r1. Either way, I recommend that you give it a try.

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

Read again Flash - he did!
Concentrate on the mixer? Turn the volume up to max on all channels and repetitively drop out of session/return with xwin. ALSA has always had its own little quirks and can suddenly start working without warning. Surprise! ,surprise!, there's websites devoted to it! ALSA may be more sophisticated and universal, but K.I.S.S. is a far better strategy. Barry got it right first time.

Caraibes

Sound doesn't work here...

#4 Post by Caraibes »

When I read your post, I saw a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel...

I followed your instructions, but nothing... No sound... I do hear some funny noise from the speakers, but no sound...

It is an integrated Via 82xx chipset...

I wish it would work... Writing that from 1.08rc1...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

wscarl

Up dated above

#5 Post by wscarl »

Did you dl and install the compete puppy modules: fileftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/modules-2.4.29-complete.tar.gz
before you re-install alsacore and alsa-oss - ran alsacfg and restart-
Instructions
1. Download & Install alsacore-1.0.10-0124a.pup
2. Open console and run alsacfg
3. Follow onscreen instructions.
4. Answer Yes to "Do you want to modify /etc/modules.conf?" if you want alsa to load on boot.

Misc. Download
alsa-oss.pup. Try this in addition to the alsacore package if sound doesn't work with all of your applications.

Caraibes

Thanks for your suggestion...

#6 Post by Caraibes »

:lol: Well, thank you for your suggestion... I tried....
:cry: No, it didn