aspire one puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nooby

#341 Post by nooby »

Yes thanks very good advices. But it only works if one knows how to do such things. I did dl the pets and installed and tried to blacklist and whitelist and so on. and still failed. So not sure what goes wrong.

Many Linux enthusiasts say it is me that are the error or wrong guy behind the machine.

That is certainly tru but that doesn't change the fact that some distros just work out of the boxes. No need to be a good linux user to use these distros.

Is it the Exton LDXE we are talking about? I did dl that one and are now using unetbootin to make a usb live install on it. Seems to take time.

I tell if that one work here soon.
seems to have Linux kernel 2.6.27.5 i686

But should not AAO D250 have a 386 something?

Nope! Tested all drivers that had Broadcom or Atheros in name.

this distro even failed to shut down which all other puppies I have tested this year has been able to do so not a good one at all.

I tested this one now.

LighthousePup-4.43-b.iso

It says that it has connected to my LAN card but browser still fails.

what is it about Kuki linux and pupeee that makes them work while others fail?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

mpierrat25

lxde

#342 Post by mpierrat25 »

Nooby,

Have look here :

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39154

I guess, there is the pupplet I used.

nooby

#343 Post by nooby »

I did download this one most likely Saturday and tested it and it did not work.

I tested two versions of LXDE puppy version. the other was the Exton version. None of them worked within either wired nor wireless.

And look here

Posted by Wow: Mon 02 Mar 2009, 18:09 Post subject: Re: Wireless
Barburo wrote:

I rebooted and nothing came up for wireless nor can I connect again. Any idea what's going on here? Why did connection work once but not again?

Answer:
Sorry, I can't help you with this 'cause I don't have any wireless device, nor the knowledge about them.
end quote

Aitch

#344 Post by Aitch »

Hardware Hack!

Here's a useful article for any AAO users

speed up your AAO/increase storage with an ipod 1.8" hdd

http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/08/16/ ... ard-drive/

It will use a bit more power, but swings & roundabouts, as they say

The reason it speeds it up is because writes are faster to the hdd than the stock ssd, atm, though this may change - they are getting faster

Check out OCZ SSDs
Available in 16GB to 64GB capacities
Read: up to 45 MB/sec
Write: up to 35 MB/sec
Sustained Write: up to 20 MB/sec

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/s ... _ssd-pata_

[don't know if there's any SATA mods, ....even quicker]

Also see here

http://www.netbooks.ph/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=451

have fun

Aitch :)

tofi

#345 Post by tofi »

Download location?
Where can I download the Puppy made for Acer Aspire one?
This link ftp://ftp.servage.net/aspireone/acer-puppy-410-27.iso
requires a password. Maybe there is a never version of the puoppy too?

nooby

#346 Post by nooby »

Download it frpm puppy Canada.
http://puppylinux.ca/members/aspirepup/

they have user name puppy and psw linux

I am downloading it just now. Hope it is the same iso. Seems to have same name. Check it out. Takes 24minutes to dl here

Have you tried Puppy Stardust. That one worked better on my Acer D250 Netbook. Okay been some weeks I tested it. I have the latest Stardust 009 and maybe that one is different from the one I used. Puppeee431 works well on my Acer too. If both these fail then use Jolicloud they have it confirmed that it works from many users giving feedback on their computers if it is ok or not. I did a safe install to not disturb the Win7 and it works well with wireless and wired. Out of the box youtube and streaming videos from TV stations like BBC.

tofi

#347 Post by tofi »

Thank you for providing the url.
I have installed it to a usb stick. All nice except WLAN doesn't work. This has happened everytime before when I have tried Puppy. The network is recognized but it's ipossibel to connect, I'm using wap encryption. The network wizard in puppy sucks. Sorry. wish they could use wicd.

nooby

#348 Post by nooby »

Others knows these things better than me.

I used this search. http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 326#221326

search more for posts for member tempestuous and others that comment on wicd.

I don't have any modem to test. I see all my neighbors modems but don't know if it works because they are wep or wap so

TomRhymer

#349 Post by TomRhymer »

tofi wrote:Thank you for providing the url.
I have installed it to a usb stick. All nice except WLAN doesn't work. This has happened everytime before when I have tried Puppy. The network is recognized but it's ipossibel to connect, I'm using wap encryption. The network wizard in puppy sucks. Sorry. wish they could use wicd.
Which model are you trying this on? This Puplet doesn't seem to like the wireless on the AOD-150, and I'm not sure if newer models use the same hardware.

tofi

#350 Post by tofi »

I am using the old, "classic" model, 110, with 512 MB RAM and 8GB SSD disk.

I remember from earlier attempts with Kuki that it's hard to configure correct som that the Wifi connects. Strange, cause the card scans and finds acesspoints, but denies to connect (in this case with WPA encryption).
If there only had been a howto, cause the wifi wizard is not intuitive.

T_Hobbit

#351 Post by T_Hobbit »

tofi wrote:I am using the old, "classic" model, 110, with 512 MB RAM and 8GB SSD disk.

I remember from earlier attempts with Kuki that it's hard to configure correct som that the Wifi connects. Strange, cause the card scans and finds acesspoints, but denies to connect (in this case with WPA encryption).
If there only had been a howto, cause the wifi wizard is not intuitive.
I've one like your's. Which are the WPA configuration?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

goingsolar

#352 Post by goingsolar »

I had to play with my settings in the Network Wizard and WPA/TKIP .

Mode: Managed (correct)
Security: Open (even though it's restricted on my router)
Broadcast SSID (even though my router SSID is hidden)

Made no sense to set it up that way, but it worked.

Aitch

#353 Post by Aitch »

goingsolar

be careful, you may be hooked up to someone else's router, on open

tofi

#354 Post by tofi »

T_Hobbit wrote:
I've one like your's. Which are the WPA configuration?
I'm not sure if I understand your question. The scan goes ok and my WIFI network is found. But even though I fill inn the essid and the WPA password it's impossible get in contact with the Internet.

Aitch

#355 Post by Aitch »

tofi

try setting dns server to 4.2.2.2 & 4.2.2.3, in advanced settings

many people are finding their isp not giving dns server IPs using DHCP, especially Virgin

see also

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50515

cklammer

Latecomer to aspire one puppy

#356 Post by cklammer »

@everybody: Apologies for bumping. Warning: long post ahead.

@iscraigh: Thank you so much for all your efforts with aspire one puppy.

I have read the complete thread (all previous 355 posts) - uff!

After runnning UNR and EasyPeasy 1.5 on my stock AA1 A110-ZG5 (512MB/8GB SSD) I got fed up with the sluggishness of he heavy-duty Ubuntu stuff and decided to try something new.

First thing I did was upgrading the BIOS to 3310.

I did a reinstall of my AA1 with Linux4One 1.1 lite RC1. I had to ditch that one in favor of the aspire one puppy since wireless never worked for me at all. I didn't try to hard though - after all I have been running various Puppies on desktops at home and at work for years now.

I am using the aspire one puppy version downloaded from 2shared since with puppylinux.ca gave me consistently "too many concurrent downloads". This might have to do with the fact that I am behind the UAE's/Etisalat's proxy server ... whatever. I hope what I am using is the latest.

I prepared a USB boot stick using the aspire one puppy iso from 2shared. I reformatted the internal SSD sda1 with ext3. I kept Linux4one's partitioning with sda2 being swap ~400 MB.

I installed aspire one puppy using the Puppy universal installer on sda1 as an ata hd. I installed everything into / since nothing else will be there anyway. I saved the grub template given during this process in a backup text file.

I then installed Grub using the menu and edited menu.lst using the saved Grub settings from the install process. Anybody who wants menu.lst please PM.

I copied some sfs files (devx_410, jdk, Oxygen-Openoffice 2.41) to sda1's / since I plan to use them later.

Booting from internal SSD into aspire one puppy works like a charm.

I had a bit of a hard time with wireless partly because I never did wireless with puppy before and partly because of the hidden modal restrictions of the aspire one puppy wireless wizard.
So this is what I did using wireless finally:
(1) I made sure the wireless was switched from the external switch.
(2) I used the desktops connect icon.
(2) I selected wlan0.
(3) I scanned for available wireless networks and selected my network. I am using an older Siemens Speedstream 3520 which only supports WPA1. So my wireless only utilizes WPA1 and not WPA2.
(4) I selected WPA1 encryption and entered my private shared key. I saved my profile. I selected "use this profile" and exited the wireless wizard. I had then gotten myself a DHCP address assigned from my router.
(5) Somewhere along the way I got asked if I wanted to save my selections as permanent/persistent and use them for the next boot which I confirmed. Since I am usually not utilizing wireless I was able to confirm wireless usage with my router's status light.
(6) I strongly advise everybody to conduct the process of connecting to wireless in the order given in the preceding five steps. Being new to puppy wireless and having beem dorky enough in not taking the external wireless switch into account resulted in quite a lot failed attempts for me.
(7) Apologies if I rehashed the glaringly obvious here.
(8) A similar procedure also worked for me when using a wired network connection.

What am I missing:
* cairo-dock icons for recycler and xlock. Anybody has done this? I am not familiar with cairo-dock at all - any hints or further assistance (please send meh teh codez) would be greatly appreciated.

What is not working:
* my sfs files (listed above) don't autoload. Why I do not know - still lokking into it, though.
* the pwidgets behave funnily whenever I change the wallpaper. @iscraigh: any ideas?

Peace,
cklammer

arslan79

#357 Post by arslan79 »

Here is a link to a remaster of puppy for the Aspire One. I have integrated most of the fixes and added

Petch
lucview
and a few others.

http://puppylinux.ca/members/aspirepup/

ftp link in this thread graciously provided by Eric (Canari)

wireless works
wireless lights work
mic works
camera works

Craig
Authorization Required :(

please give me working link

LordAllucard

resolution :(

#358 Post by LordAllucard »

hi im using puppy for acer but it only put me 800x600 how can i get 1280x600 im using a acer aspire one n450

cthisbear

#359 Post by cthisbear »

arslan79:

Sometimes you have to give it 2 or 3 tries.

//////////

I just tried it now>>>9.55 PM >> April 16th OZ time

:::::::

Directory Listing of /members/aspirepup/
home > aspirepup
File
Size
Last Modified
acer-puppy-410-27.isoacer-puppy-410-27.iso 166684KB Nov 01 2009 06:28:00 PM
acer-puppy-410-27.iso.md5.txtacer-puppy-410-27.iso.md5.txt 0KB Nov 01 2009 05:23:39 PM

///////////

I rechecked 2shared.
Where I originally uploaded it.

Link still active....try it.

http://www.2shared.com/file/8384734/88e ... 7.html?s=1

Click on this though...>>>Save file to your PC: click here

Just tried it....near bottom of the 2shared page.

Good luck Chris

Anniekin

#360 Post by Anniekin »

I'm trying to get 3D / opengl to work on Aspire One Puppy (AAO)?