can't pulse dial PCTEL Platnum V.90 modem

willie x

can't pulse dial PCTEL Platnum V.90 modem

#1 Post by willie x »

I got Puppy 4.3.1 up and running without to much trouble. My modem was recognized, but when I changed dial command from ATDT (tone dial sounded normal) to ATDP, I now get a little click about once per second, not the usual pulse dial sounds, then: Waiting for carrier! No carrier! Trying again.

There is a message about 18 lines down in the status log that says: ***Warning! Line *115200* in /etc/ppp/options may conflict with wvdial!

Any help or direction will be much appreciated.

Willie X

willie x

#2 Post by willie x »

Latest report ... I got dialer to dial properly but it would not connect me to the internet. Finally contacted isp provider and they said that they do not support Linux put verified my info and gave me the DNS settings. I don't see 'DNS' settings on any of the pupdial strings. So where do I go to register or check the Primary and Secondary DNS numbers?

Willie X

rerwin

#3 Post by rerwin »

willie x,
Thanks for posting your problem. Welcome.

Although I have not encountered the DNS problem, others have and point to the file /etc/resolv.conf. So I looked into what that is all about. Here is what the puppy developer wrote in a readme file (edited to make sense for your case):
When you make a connection to the ISP . . .
the file "resolv.conf" will get automatically updated with
the DNSs (assuming IP addresses are dynamically assigned by
the ISP) -- otherwise you will have to edit th[at] file.
I connected to my ISP (MSN) to see what gets put in resolv.conf:

Code: Select all

nameserver 209.244.0.3
nameserver 209.244.0.4
So, try substituting the addresses your ISP gave you.

What did you do to get pulse dialing to work? Anything I need to know, as modem-support developer?

Here is what happens when the ISP (apparently) provides the DNS addresses:

Code: Select all

CONNECT 49333 V42bis
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
Level 3 Comm nas10.2ma1 UQKT2
Username:/login:/Login:
--> Looks like a login prompt.
--> Sending: MSN/(logon)
MSN/(logon)
Password: 
--> Looks like a password prompt.
--> Sending: (password)
    Entering PPP Session.
    IP address is 4.140.249.150
    MTU is 1524.
--> Looks like a welcome message.
--> Starting pppd at Thu Apr  8 18:25:41 2010
--> pid of pppd: 17628
Regarding the Warning: I don't think it is important. I usually see it and see no impact.
Richard

willie x

#4 Post by willie x »

Richard,

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me. You obviously noticed that I needed more of an outline to go by. I will check on what is happening with the DNS address.

Changing the ATDT to ATDP would have made the modem pulse dial but ... there was a stray dot at the end of the provider's phone number. Duh, wish that was the first time something like that has happened. :-)

Best wishs, Willie X

willie x

#5 Post by willie x »

Richard,

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me. You obviously noticed that I needed more of an outline to go by. I will check on what is happening with the DNS address.

Changing the ATDT to ATDP would have made the modem pulse dial but ... there was a stray dot at the end of the provider's phone number. Duh, wish that was the first time something like that has happened. :-)

Best wishs, Willie X

willie x

#6 Post by willie x »

OK'

Got the correct DSN numbers in the resolv.conf file, preceded with 'nameserver' as per Richard's example.

On dial-up I get the normal sounds and then the message:

Login failed, reason -
(-190,mrcga44ev,1271108126-000,atlga03rs09pr002)

I have no clue what that means!

Willie X

willie x

#7 Post by willie x »

Richard, et all,

I finally got the PCTEL modem to connect.

Last thing I changed was: I filled in the isp2 lines in WvDial.conf. They were marked as XXXX-XXXXXX here but on the PupDial modem internet dialer they were filled with lines of code (?) so I didn't mess with em. I also clicked the dumb modem box.

The 'snapshots' were a big help.

Oh, I was surprised that nothing happens when the modem connects. I was stairing at the progress box for quite a while before I realised that the PPP info had changed and my speaker was making all the right sounds!

Thanks, Willie X

rerwin

#8 Post by rerwin »

Good going, Willie! To wrap up this thread, would you please edit the subject of your initial posting, to append "Solved" to it? You might also add a description about setting the DNS addresses in /etc/resolv.conf as "nameservers".

Those would be helpful to others with a similar problem. Thanks.
Richard