XFProt virus scanner fix for Puppy 431

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
tasmod

XFProt virus scanner fix for Puppy 431

#1 Post by tasmod »

I posted this in the Stardust 006 thread also.

In Puppy 431 the XFProt application errors out, it has a defective gui and missing directory.

So I put together this pet with a fixed gui and a further directory.

It will work either way, if you've not downloaded f-prot or if you have and it doesn't work. This will fix it.
Attachments
XFProt-0.2.pet
(129.69 KiB) Downloaded 3941 times
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

tazoc

#2 Post by tazoc »

Thank you Rob, it works great and I included the fix in Lighthouse Pup 4.43 Final. :D
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

yorkiesnorkie

bugfix doesn't seem to work

#3 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

I gave it a try but I get the same error as usual. xf prot can't find the version. I get past the installation, I install to the defaults, I download the updates, but it won't run.

I ran the pet before the installation, and then afterward when I got the error message. I also tried rebooting.

I'm running Puppy 4.3.1 with the add on pet that updates it.

Yorkiesnorkie
:-)
Attachments
error.png
xf prot can't find version error message.
(7.87 KiB) Downloaded 5647 times

ttuuxxx

#4 Post by ttuuxxx »

hi tasmod yorkiesnorkie mentioned an error, will that happen if I install the pet? or is it a one-off ?
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

tasmod

#5 Post by tasmod »

I think it must be a one off. I tried it in your 432-v2 and it worked OK.
Rob
-

amsk98

works pefectly

#6 Post by amsk98 »

works pefectly

& up to date

thanks

rokytnji

Puppy 4.31 Full

#7 Post by rokytnji »

hi tasmod yorkiesnorkie mentioned an error, will that happen if I install the pet? or is it a one-off ?

I think it must be a one off. I
I guess it is a 2 off(sorta, my message is binary not found). As I experience the same problem as Yorkie. Screenshot of running xfprot in terminal below.

tasmod

#8 Post by tasmod »

That appears to be an installation error.

Does this appear if you try from the menu entry or does it run correctly?

There are numerous files and directories installed in a correct installation, check for these.

There are two directories in /usr/local

One is xfprot with run scripts

Other is f-prot with virus definitions, updater, licence and first run install script.

Two important files:-

/usr/local/bin/xfprot ----- ----- this is the exec file run from menu, it calls up a GUI where the choices for xfprot are run.

/usr/local/xfprot/xfprot-gtk ---the gtk gui script.
Rob
-

rokytnji

#9 Post by rokytnji »

No it did not run from the menu and yes the warning banner came up when using the menu. That was why I tried running from terminal. No error message in terminal other than the banner though.

Also. No need to waste time with me tazmod. I went and tried installing avast rpm instead. This all started when I ran Kazehakase browser and got a can't connect to paypal popup when I was not even trying to connect to paypal. So in a late night fit of paranoia I started on this trek.

Long story short. I broke my Puppy 4.31 full install when Avast froze up halfway through scan. Lost X. Tried using my saved sfs files in etc/X11/xorg.conf and that startup file in /root/home (Can't remember the exact name but it was like .inixtrc ) and still wouldn't give me a desktop and xorgwizard would just go in circles as far as if you didn't get X run Xorgwizard. I finally gave up. So 4.31 is gone. I use my other partition with MacPup Foxy 3 which has xfprot working just fine. Used the same steps to install in Macpup as I did in 4.31. So it is a wonderment. But since Puppy 4.31 is gone. The point is moot.
/usr/local/bin/xfprot ----- ----- this is the exec file run from menu, it calls up a GUI where the choices for xfprot are run.

I investigated and all files were present. That was why I head scratched, then tried avira, which was just adding fuel to the fire to burn down Puppy.

rjbrewer

#10 Post by rjbrewer »

rokytnji wrote:
No it did not run from the menu and yes the warning banner came up when using the menu. That was why I tried running from terminal. No error message in terminal other than the banner though.

Also. No need to waste time with me tazmod. I went and tried installing avast rpm instead. This all started when I ran Kazehakase browser and got a can't connect to paypal popup when I was not even trying to connect to paypal. So in a late night fit of paranoia I started on this trek.

Long story short. I broke my Puppy 4.31 full install when Avast froze up halfway through scan. Lost X. Tried using my saved sfs files in etc/X11/xorg.conf and that startup file in /root/home (Can't remember the exact name but it was like .inixtrc ) and still wouldn't give me a desktop and xorgwizard would just go in circles as far as if you didn't get X run Xorgwizard. I finally gave up. So 4.31 is gone. I use my other partition with MacPup Foxy 3 which has xfprot working just fine. Used the same steps to install in Macpup as I did in 4.31. So it is a wonderment. But since Puppy 4.31 is gone. The point is moot.

I investigated and all files were present. That was why I head scratched, then tried avira, which was just adding fuel to the fire to burn down Puppy.
I use full installs almost exclusively. When I "break" one, I load the
live cd and run full install again. This time just use "upgrade", skip
the grub install, and in most cases it fixes original install.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

yorkiesnorkie

#11 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

I still can't get this to work. I still get the cannot detct f-prot version error message.

I tried re-installing 4.3.0, running it from the menu, so the updates are downloaded, then installing the pet to fix it. No joy.

I downloaded f-prot and installed it from the website. I re-compiled xfprot from source and installed it. No joy.

I'm going to verify that f-prot will work from the command line. I'm going to check for the missing directories you mention. Also f-prot has i686 in it's tar.gz filename. I've got a pentium-mmx, so I'm wondering if that might be a factor, and/or if I should upgrade my puppy to 4.3.1

y.
[url]http://www.busygamemaster.com[/url]

KusaNoKaito

#12 Post by KusaNoKaito »

I'm going to verify that f-prot will work from the command line. I'm going to check for the missing directories you mention. Also f-prot has i686 in it's tar.gz filename. I've got a pentium-mmx, so I'm wondering if that might be a factor, and/or if I should upgrade my puppy to 4.3.1
Perhaps you should, It works great of 431.

tomaszek

fport for Puppy 4.3.1

#13 Post by tomaszek »

Dear All,

Do I have to compile fport from source? I can not find fport in repos.

Regards,

tomasz

muggins

#14 Post by muggins »

Hello Tomaszek,

it's available here.

yorkiesnorkie

fpscan works from the command line

#15 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi,

I finally got back to this. I can't get xfprot to work but f-prot will work from the command line. I opened up a terminal and entered:

Code: Select all

fpscan -a | tee report.txt

I send the content of the rxvt to a log file for review

you can get help with the application

fpscan -h
Interestingly it found a virus on a windows parition, so f-prot is working! :) No luck with the xfprot GUI though.

Y.

tasmod

#16 Post by tasmod »

OK, especially for you I re-installed 431 and tried again.

I loaded f-prot and then ran my pet.

It all worked ok.

So, what Puppy are you using?

Do you have an 'xfprot' directory in /user/local

What does it contain ?

If you have, what happens when you try to run xfprot-gtk ?
Rob
-

yorkiesnorkie

f-prot xfprot

#17 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi Tasmod,

Thanks for going to all that trouble. I'm running puppy 4.3.1. I have it installed on two different machines, one is an old Compaq Presario and this one is an IBM 380. Neither will run the GUI.

I just re-installed 4.3.1 to the laptop the other day and ran the xfprot "installer" from the menu. I do have the /usr/local/f-prot and /usr/local/xfprot folders after the installation. I just tried to open a terminal at /usr/local/f-prot and run fpscan on the laptop, and I get the following error:

# fpscan
Illegal instruction
When I run xfprot from the menu on the laptop: Menu/Utility/X-prot virus scanner, I get the you are running as root message, followed by the cannot detect version message and the gui stops.

Now, on the Compaq I can run xfprot from the command line, and it works.

The XFprot directory on the laptop contains:
a directory called icons
copying
eicar.com
xfprot-gtk
Xfprot_scan
Xfprot_update

When I open a terminal window there and run xfprot-gtk from the command line:

# xfprot-gtk 
bash: xfprot-gtk: command not found
Note I have not applied your patches to either pc, however I'm wondering if fpscan should be working first as a pre-requisite.

Y.[/code]

tasmod

#18 Post by tasmod »

Try

./xfprot-gtk

If you get the "running as root" then "version" messages then you are there but need to run my pet, then it should continue on.
Rob
-

yorkiesnorkie

Still No Joy

#19 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi Rob,

thanks for the help! Well, ./xfprot-gtk does open the gui, but sadly I get no further than I do when I run it from the menu on the laptop. Basically, I end up with the can't detect the version message and the only option quits, even with your patch applied.

There's something deeper going on here with regard to f-prot itself since it won't run from the comand line. Since I"m using frugal, I'm going to replace the sfs file and take another run at the install.

Y.

Kanyimbe

Re: f-prot xfprot

#20 Post by Kanyimbe »

This is my experience too.
yorkiesnorkie wrote:
When I run xfprot from the menu on the laptop: Menu/Utility/X-prot virus scanner, I get the you are running as root message, followed by the cannot detect version message and the gui stops.

Y.[/code]