How to put Pup001 file on PNY USB flash memory?

Using applications, configuring, problems
slvrldy17

How to put Pup001 file on PNY USB flash memory?

#1 Post by slvrldy17 »

Since I don't want the PUPPY001 file on my hard drive I've been attempting to use option 3 at boot to have the file installed on a 1GB USB stick (PNY - new from the pkg. and formatted VFAT). What I get when I enter the choice of using sda1 as a location is a message "incorrect entry - partition does not exist" then the boot process automatically continues and at its conclusion a check in MUT shows sda1 as being both detected and with the same status as hda3 which is a FAT formatted partition that I use for my Knoppix 4.0.2 persistant home file - I DON'T want both of these files on that partition but it seems that Puppy 1.0.8 is determined to put it there and nowhere else. If I allow it to install there (hda3) how do I go about moving it to the USB stick (sda1) and have Puppy recognize it at boot up? Frankly, I would much rather see Puppy set up like Knoppix in this regard - boot WITHOUT it putting anything on the hard drive and the offer a script like the Knoppix "mkimage" in the utilities/setup menus to allow full choice and control of where the file goes and how big it will be. Entering a "cheat code" like "home=scan" at boot time is OK by me and would be much preferred to messing about with the size and location limits of the current setup of using Pup001.

slvrldy17

Using Puppy 2.0 Alpha

#2 Post by slvrldy17 »

After wasting the best part of a couple of hours trying to get Puppy 1.0.8 to use a USB stick for its PUPPY001 file I gave up and since I had downloaded the ISO for 2.0Alpha decided to give it a try. Results are MUCH better - since 2.0A waits until shutdown to do its thing with a save file it had no problem with recognizing the USB drive or writing to it. I also notice that the initial file size is roughly double that of the PUPPY001 file - a definite step in the right direction. Still, the pattern used in Knoppix makes more sense to me. Here you have two choices - a "saveconfig" script that allows the choice of saving any combination of your personal configuration, system configuration, desktop files, graphics subsystem files, and network settings. The "mkimage" script does all this and also allows saving larger files - it also gives you the option of setting the file size and if using an entire partition or USB device formatting same in a linux format. Both scripts show a full list of available partitions and are set up to only allow writing to partitions with a suitable file system format - no worries about fouling up an NTFS partition. A pop up box reminding you on shutdown to go to the Utilities Menu to initiate this feature would be OK by most of us - it could even have a link to there. I guess it's this philosophy of "First do no harm" that appeals most to me - many of us who were burned by the Sony Rootkit/DRM fiasco are and will remain VERY skeptical about any program that automatically tries to write files to our systems - no matter how benign the reason/purpose.

slvrldy17

Further fiddlings with pup001 location

#3 Post by slvrldy17 »

Since there is a method of entering in a NTFS file system (working in Windows) a pup001 file that Puppy is then supposed to detect and use when you boot up in Puppy I decided to see if this same trick would work to get Puppy to put his save file on the USB key instead of the hard drive. Downloaded a couple of versions of the pup001 file from MU's list and unzipped/packed them on USB keys. Booted up with Empty Crust version 1.0.7 in normal boot mode, played a bit and shut down. Result when I went to check in windows? TWO, count 'em Two pup001 files the one I put on the USB key and the one puppy wrote to the hard drive partition where I don't want it. Puppy is a stubborn little beast and ignored the existing pup001 file to make its own.

A side note - really like what I see of the Empty Crust Puppy - much less junk to change/ignore when setting up. You did a really good job with that Pizzasgood!

shankargopal

#4 Post by shankargopal »

I don't know about the Knoppix system, but the problem that you are having is because Puppy doesn't load the usb-storage module at bootup unless the PSLEEP boot parameter is specified. Therefore it can't see sda1 until the bootup is finished (and you'll notice that in fact you can't see it and can't mount sda1 even then until you run MUT, or at least that's what I found).

The way to get around this is to include PSLEEP=25 in your boot parameters (which is the way the system I am using right now runs, by the way). If you're using a live CD there are two ways you can do this:

1. By copying the ISO image to your hard drive, starting Puppy or some other Linux, mounting the ISO image, and editing the isolinux.cfg file to add PSLEEP=25 to the boot parameter option that contains PFILE=ask. Then burn the modified ISO to CD. Since you have some Linux experience I'm not going to go into how to do this, but if you need to know I can explain.

2. By using a WakePup floppy disk (search the forum for the boot image). In this case, when you get to the second menu (i.e. boot from CDROM), press Ctrl-Break, say yes, go to the DOS prompt and edit the IDECD3.CFG file to include the line "PSLEEP=25". Then type "autoexec.bat" at the prompt and choose the "PFILE=ask" option.

By the way, if this is to work, your usr_cram.fs file should also be on the USB stick.

By the way, Barry and/or pakt, could we make this an option in future WakePup releases and future Puppy releases too? I think this would be something people would be interested in.

slvrldy17

#5 Post by slvrldy17 »

Shankargopal,

Many thanks for your reply - at least I now know why Puppy is being such an stubborn little beast ! Since my experience with Linux is quite limited I'll pass for now on trying the fixes you suggest. I'm much more a user than an enthusiast that will tweak/edit system files - I'm equally reluctant to mess with Windows registry and system files unless there is no reasonable alternative.

Whats interesting about this problem is that when I do the option 3 boot is that ALL of the msdos, vfat, fat 32, etc, patitions including USB key drives are listed as suitable for the pup001 file - with correct size and file system data - but when selected produce an error message stating "drive not found" - it would appear that the drives are being detected but not made available for use as you suggest. This includes other hard disc partitions after the first one that puppy finds. For example - my hard drive is partitioned as follows - Drive C, NTFS, Windows XP and Applications, Drive E, NTFS, data and music files, Drive F, FAT, Knoppix files, Drives G and H, MSDOS set up for use with Puppy. Other than Drive F which Puppy defaults and installs pup001 to after the error message its as if these other hard drive partitions don't exist. If Puppy is to gain a wider acceptance with users other than computer buffs this is a bug that really needs to be addressed - perhaps in the final 1.0.9 (?) release or as a revision/service pack for existing releases. Barry K. are you listening?

Thanks,

Alice

shankargopal

#6 Post by shankargopal »

These fixes take only a minute or two - as a very happy Puppy user I wouldn't want you to be put off by them (and definitely they are not equivalent to tampering with the Windows registry). And, by the way, I wouldn't really consider it a bug - it's just a scenario that wasn't thought of.

The assumption is that if you want to run Puppy with a pup001 file on on a USB drive, you would install Puppy to that drive. Which, by the way, is by far the easiest way to solve the problem - if you'd like to do that. Just start a Puppy Live CD (any one that you prefer), go to Start, Setup, choose Install Puppy USB drive. The USB drive stays formatted as MSDOS, so you can copy your files off it, install Puppy and copy your files back on. Then, boot from the USB stick either just by plugging it into your computer and rebooting (see the web site at www.goosee.com/puppy), or use a floppy disk with either the WakePup image or the Boot2Pup image. The former can be gotten by doing a search on the Forum.

If you don't want to do that, I can tell you how to do the other things.

slvrldy17

BIOS doesn't support booting from USB devices

#7 Post by slvrldy17 »

Shankargopal,

Since the Award BIOS that my computer uses doesn't support booting from USB devices I'll probably give the Wake Pup boot with floppy option a try. I'll have to reset the BIOS boot order to do it though as currently the floppy drive is the third boot device - HD is second and CD first. BIOS is also one of those places that I'll only make changes in very reluctantly. Chalk it up to learning about computers in the school of hard knocks.

It occurs to me to ask - since I have two small MSDOS partitions on the hard drive that are available ( approx. 2GB each ) if it would be just as easy to install puppy to one of them and use Wake Pup to boot from there. If so, how to do so?

Thanks,

Alice

shankargopal

#8 Post by shankargopal »

If you'd like to do that, choose the Install to Hard drive setup option in the Start - Setup menu, and choose option 1 (to avoid reformatting your partition etc.). Follow the instructions Then just put in a blank floppy and that script will automatically write a floppy image that will boot Puppy from the hard drive.

This method is totally safe (it just copies four files to your hard drive) and allows you to experience Puppy totally. If you'd like to do this and would still like to have your Pup001 on a USB drive, then I can tell you how to do the other fixes that would make that possible (they will be even easier if you are booting from a hard drive). Otherwise your pup001 will be on the same partition.

slvrldy17

Going with hard drive install

#9 Post by slvrldy17 »

Shankargopal,

Seems like the hard drive method will be the simplest way to handle things - I'll use one of those 2GB msdos partitions I have set up since that is where I wanted the save file to go since I can't boot from a USB device. Many thanks for the help and advice.

Alice