Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
nooby

#161 Post by nooby »

I like 01mickos installer idea for making your own decision.
Have not tested but love the idea one have a choice.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

stu90

#162 Post by stu90 »

lupup desktop walpaper:
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/9061/deskfullu.png

wallpapers
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
Last edited by stu90 on Tue 06 Apr 2010, 14:34, edited 3 times in total.

pemasu

#163 Post by pemasu »

Couple of observation more:

- Cups Printer Wizard uses netsurf, but it does not handle Admin pages option boxes right, it isnt possible to scroll them succesfully or it does not handle the choice. I had to open http://localhost:631 in firefox to get my HP LJ 1020 configured. After that it worked. I used foo2xxx_r220909-0.0-i486.pet succesfully, it is needed for hotplugin folder creation for HP LJ1020 model.

- Pnethood scans Windows machines really slow. I checked the difference with Stardust, it took couple of seconds and with Lupu couple of minutes, at least, repeatedly. Twice my WLAN-ADSL router went offline after probing and I had to reboot it. Coincidence maybe. Anyway lameSMBxplorer works normal fast and shares are available.
Last edited by pemasu on Mon 05 Apr 2010, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

svgt

Black screen after system starts

#164 Post by svgt »

After typing the boot parameter pfix=ram the system shows a black screen. At the same laptop Puppy431 is running.

Is perhaps memory to small?
Hardware: Pentium III 700Mhz - 160MB Ram - Intel 440BX/ZX

PS: I managed it with boot parameter acpi=off

01micko

#165 Post by 01micko »

OK folks

Just compiled the latest JWM snapshot, I think the icon bug might be beat! Please test. I really hope it is beat! (shame the "k" bug isn't yet)

(Love those walls Stu)

Cheers

ICONS TO TEST
-the "Pcur" icon in the desktop menu is a notable one, for me it had a pink background, it is ok now.

-geany icon, of course you need geany text editor to test it, mine had a white washy background, is fine now.

-aarf, you can test them all!

Important! the 'libpixman' needs to be rolled back to the original version, it is attached not needed for lupu-oo2 and less unless you installed the libpixman fix

after installation restart X
Attachments
libpixman-Lucid-1.6.4.pet
only needed for greater or equal to lupu-003
(143.87 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
jwm-478-i486.pet
(80.42 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
Last edited by 01micko on Wed 07 Apr 2010, 08:01, edited 3 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#166 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:01micko. Browser installer. Beautiful. I haven't tried it; I just got up and I have to do my paying job for a while. You say it opens petget. I wonder if it could just install the browser itself--then it would be truly one-click. I have been thinking of course about extending the Choose Your Own idea--but right now I am thinking to stay only with Add Your Own Browser--plus maybe browser related programs. Let's keep thinking. Flash should be installed already--it is small, so no need for that in the BI (Browser Installer). My reasoning is that it might get complicated by presenting noobies too many choices. Everyone knows about the browsers, but I think many would not know about email programs, etc. Does that make sense. Let's keep thinking ;-) Of course we could add to the list of things that BI could do in subsequent versions.
I can make it one page with just browsers and maybe a couple of email-clients. Don't care much about Java but I guess many would.

I could make it truly one click, but the disadvantage is that it does not register with petget and does complicate the code somewhat. I don't think a couple of "OK" clicks is too much, just thinking about M$ windows, you usually have to accept a lisence agreement and so forth, often many clicks to install something really simple. "such and such directoery does not exist, do you want to create it?" :lol:

Of course we do want to keep it very simple.

An alternative could be to run a small daemon using the "first boot page" of yours detecting when the browser file is downloaded and then installing, but daemons can slow older kit, not ideal.

Anyway, we have a little time to decide this one, the app I made is very simple as is, less scope for bugs, 8) . If I stuff with it too much it may introduce something we miss in the time we do have.

Cheers

Tui

#167 Post by Tui »

Hi RAFFY, This version of Puppy won't
detect my WiFi card, this is an ACX_PCI Texas
Instruments 111 54Mbs Wireless Interface Card.

This has not been detected on Puppy versions after
V4.0 and Quirky versions have the same problem.

Cheers Tui

01micko

#168 Post by 01micko »

I have the same card Tui, and so does BarryK, the source for the card will not compile in later kernels, only answer is ndiswrapper wich is broken in k2.6.31.5 :(

Cheers

nooby

#169 Post by nooby »

I love the ability to have a user choice of browser.

How should one satisfy those that use Puppy as a rescue CD or DVD that is only used in pristine usage maybe to repair others computers when they have windows messed up with trojans and such. They need a good browser to do google to find out info on the trojan and maybe download some fix that exists?

Sure they can use puppy431 for that?

But they still would love to have the next puppy for banking and such too?

So maybe a minimal browser that doesn't interfere with the choice? Which is the smallest such browser that still would work for their purpose?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Ray MK

#170 Post by Ray MK »

Hi
The latest Dillo may be worth considering - it's very small and
very capable.

Best regards - Ray

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#171 Post by Lobster »

Oh boy - now you have a choice and don't want it? :roll:

Netsurf is in Lucid and is a simple Browser
If it is too simple then download a Browser :wink:

If a Dillo or another small browser exists this can be added to the available choice options. Is that what you mean?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Terryphi

#172 Post by Terryphi »

stu90: Thanks for the wallpapers. Nice!

Ray MK

#173 Post by Ray MK »

Hi again

Yes Dillo is only 700k -

and as a second choice for those on dial-up
and with a ram challenged PC

it offers an excellent performance and is a very capable browser,
that looks like it is being continually developed -
and with a minimum hit on resources.

Seems to have all the requirements of being good Puppy material.

Goes fast too.

As always - very best regards - Ray

Terryphi

#174 Post by Terryphi »

Tui wrote:Hi RAFFY, This version of Puppy won't
detect my WiFi card, this is an ACX_PCI Texas
Instruments 111 54Mbs Wireless Interface Card.

This has not been detected on Puppy versions after
V4.0 and Quirky versions have the same problem.

Cheers Tui
I agree. Puppy and Quirky have gone downhill somewhat in WIFI device detection. Barry has recently written on his blog that he has created an SFS file so that when the next Quirky is released users will be able to compile drivers. Hopefully, this will help those of us whose WIFI devices are not detected by current builds.

playdayz

#175 Post by playdayz »

pemasu found a problem with Netsurf and Cups. Drat. That must be fixed. I will try Dillo Ray--that was my first choice but Lucid Lynx doesn't have it. Debian should I hope. Thanks for the links upnorth.

01micko, can you prepare the release version with two tabs, Browser and Email. I hear you about the one-click--do it the original way by opening petget--it is important imo to register with petget for uninstallation. Could you pick a 48x48 icon for the desktop.. Thanks

Random notes: I am starting version 005 today. In my mind we now have a feature freeze. Barry can innovate up until the last minute but we can't. We should have 2.6.33.2 in 005 or 006 and hope that will be it. I may or may not use a new Woof. For those who are interested, in Karmic and early Lucid we were tracking the changes in Woof. But every new version of Woof presents changes and the opportunity for things to go wrong. Therefore, for a release, we need to freeze Woof also. What I will do is to try the new Woof, when posted, and see what happens. I am really hopeful the icon bug in jwm will be fixed asap. 01micko, please let me know if you have one for me to try.

<Edit-Add>In addition to the kernel, we should get some new xorg drivers that Barry compiles, which should work with xorgwizard better than the generic Ubuntu ones.<end>

For 005 I will be going through the threads looking for bug fixes that I can implement easily. If you see one or know of one you can help by copying it into the 004 Bug Fixes discussion. After 005 we will "start over" and people can check whether bugs they have reported in the past have been fixed or not. Please keep reporting bugs. 005 will be a good place to fix them. I have them in my head and saved but with the Add a Browser innovation I have been trying to get the overall shape of lucid Pup down--that has been done now I think, hence the feature freeze. The Abiword bug in the spellcheck, the libfaad, these are ones that have not been addressed but will be. Anyone who can, please look through the bug reports and fix anything you can and post in the Bug Fixes discussion. Thank you all.

The final added feature will be a list of about 20 programs that are configured and tested well with Luci Pup for a simple install, probably using 01micko's gui. Please suggest programs for that list. I envision programs that are the best Linux has to offer (which are darn good!). The Gimp of course, Audacity, etc. Please suggest programs for inclusion on that list. Some of these will be sfs, such as OpenOffice. I would appreciate it if someone could explain the sfs installer to me and we will try to figure how to make installing sfs's as easy as installing the browser pets.

coolpup prepared Opera 10.52 if anybody would like to try it. In my experience Opera 10.5x is significantly faster than 10.10. I hope the 10.50 official is released in time for inclusion in Lucid Pup.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Opera

nooby
How should one satisfy those that use Puppy as a rescue CD or DVD that is only used in pristine usage maybe to repair others computers when they have windows messed up with trojans and such. They need a good browser to do google to find out info on the trojan and maybe download some fix that exists?
Good point. I think those persons could use Netsurf or Dillo to search goolge, etc. They could also download one of the big browsers and use it. They would not have to make a pupsav file to do that. I test that way too, by downloading and installing programs in ram.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 06 Apr 2010, 21:14, edited 4 times in total.

upnorth

dillo.2.2 ppa

#176 Post by upnorth »

Here's the link for ubuntu's dillo2.2 if you need it.

https://launchpad.net/~d.filoni/+archive/dillo+ssl

Otherwise, aragon's build works fine if you want to check it out

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 87c#392239

pemasu

#177 Post by pemasu »

Jrb`s latest sfs linker version: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 279#408279

And the announcement:
SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.4 has some new safeguards against removing common files that were installed before the SFS that you are removing. I have also modified it to be Upup compatible.
Havent tested it but I will.

jrb

#178 Post by jrb »

playdayz wrote:pemasu found a problem with Netsurf and Cups. Drat.
I have been using Links, http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 1pre30.pet, as a basic browser and htmlviewer in my own barebones version of puppy432.

In the .desktop file I use

Code: Select all

Exec=links -g
, in /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer

exec links -g "$@"
and in /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser

exec links -g www.google.ca
If you don't use -g it launchs without graphics.

It works well with CUPS and anything else I have tried with it. The only disadvantage I can see is that it has a "hidden" menu bar. Click where the file menu should be and all the menus appear. Other than that its great.

Haven't tried it in Upup but it works fine in Quirky.

Hope that is of some help, J

pemasu

#179 Post by pemasu »

I tested jrb`s suggested Links. And I made suggested changes except defaultbrowser. Links worked with CUPS. I hope someone else has confirmed that my problems with netsurf are real.
Links page appearance does not look that good :)

Dillo 2.2 pet tested also. Cups admin pages works with it also. Looks little bit better allthough boxes are same white colour as background. Maybe needs just some tuning.

....... Dillo > Tools > Uncheck Use remote CSS and voila. Pages looks good.
My vote to Dillo.

playdayz

#180 Post by playdayz »

Yes jrb, I will try both Links and Dillo. Thanks.

T will check myself on Netsurf and Cups tonight pemasu. Thanks. And thanks for researching the solutions too. You don't know how much that helps.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 06 Apr 2010, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.