HandBrakeCLI with GUI

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
kirk

HandBrakeCLI with GUI

#1 Post by kirk »

Compiled HandBrakeCLI from svn on 12/30/09. I packaged it with a simple GUI. There's two packages, one for Puppy 4.3 and one for Fatdog2 32bit. The Fatdog one might work with other pups that have newer glibc (dpup quirky).

The one for Puppy 4.3:

http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/kirk/handbrake4.3-123009.pet

The one for Fatdog2 32bit:

http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/kirk/Fatdog2 ... 123009.pet

EDIT: For documentation on the GUI see the third post down the page.

Attachments
screen1.jpg
(16.21 KiB) Downloaded 2942 times
screen2.jpg
(18.29 KiB) Downloaded 3025 times
screen3.jpg
(10.08 KiB) Downloaded 3024 times
screen4.jpg
(18.8 KiB) Downloaded 3002 times
Last edited by kirk on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

gposil

#2 Post by gposil »

Yes kirk, I can confirm that the FatDog version works perfectly in Dpup...so I will add it to the Dpup repository...

Many Thanks
Guy
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

Kirk...what version of glibc is needed? as the latest binary from handbrake needed a newer glibc than puppy had (I stuck with 0.9.2 ..half the size too) so I assume you dealt with that.

By the way I was just going to tart up my gui effort and there you go making me jealous :D :)
Nice one anyway as their version is so demanding on dependancies. :)

regards

mike

kirk

#4 Post by kirk »

I might have been wrong about glibc being the problem, it could have been libc or libstdc. Not anything you would want to update anyway. So I compiled HandBrakeCLI in Fatdog2 and Puppy 4.3.

Also, let me give a better description of what the GUI is doing.

The first window asks you if you want to scan the DVD. This is to get a listing of the titles on the DVD. A DVD usually has many titles of various lengths. One these titles is the main movie, usually that's the longest one. Some newer DVDs will have lots of titles, so scanning it can take from a few seconds to a couple minutes.

Then the main window opens. The first tab only has a couple options. The "Use libdvdnav" check box allows you to tell Handbrake to use libdvdread instead of libdvdnav, if you uncheck it. You normally will want to leave this box checked so that libdvdnav is used. Some newer DVDs will only playback correctly with libdvdnav. But if the DVD is so scratched up that it hangs when you play it, you'll want to uncheck the box. Handbrake is able to skip over scratches when using libdvdread, when using libdvdnav it works much like a DVD player.

The Second tab will list the titles along with their duration. Titles that have no duration are not listed. If you answered "No" on the first window, this tab will just have a box to type in the title number that you want to rip. Some DVDs are really sneaky, they'll have lots (maybe 99) of titles and many will be nearly the same size. If this is the case you'll need to play the DVD in a media player and determine the exact length of the main title or even better, the title number. With Xine-ui, if I move the time slider back and forth when the main title starts playing it will display the title number. Other media players might display the title number directly. Some times the exact length is all you need.

The last tab has these options:

Audio Encoder -- lets you choose which audio codec to use.

Video Encoder --- lets you choose which video codec to use.

Output Format -- lets you choose which container to use.

Subtitles --- lets you choose which subtiles to use. Note: not all titles include subtitles. Haven't tested this feature.

Ipod-Iphone --- lets you choose to format for ether Ipod or Iphone/Ipod thouch . These are presets will override any selections made above. This renders a file that has the resolution reduced and uses x264 in a mp4 container. These settings may work well for other mobile devices or if you just want really small files.

All of the above settings will be saved in a file ~.hbgui for the next time that you run this. Then you have input boxes for the destination directory and the file name. NOTE: Not all containers can handle all codecs. This page may be useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... er_formats

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Subtitles --- lets you choose which subtiles to use. Note: not all titles include subtitles. Haven't tested this feature.
I found out the hard way that (unless it has changed) subtitles may get lost if autocropping is used (the default) so if they are selected I set cropping to 0:0:0:0

Interesting about dvdnav/dvdread..I had this argument with them about poor handling of scratched dvd's..they said they were not interested in the dvd side but 2 releases later behaviour did improve...and now I know why :)

Apparently it can handle more than dvd input now...perhaps could develop into a general purpose format converter

regards

mike

mike

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Hmm..they dropped avi...perhaps not the greatest loss but Xvid...for speed reasons in spite of quality (and ease of playing)...funny lot there.
Nice compile...seems ok right back to glibc 2.3 :).
mike

abushcrafter

#7 Post by abushcrafter »

Please, if you can face it. Can you add a combo box dvd drive selector? Here is the part of code I think you need from pdvdrsab:

Code: Select all

===============================
From pdvdrsab. Lines :93 to 118
===============================

WHOAMI=`whoami`

##I wanted to make the script not depend on probedisk to find your cd drives
##so I scanned /dev/ & /media/ (used in other distros) for cd & dvd
rm -f /tmp/$WHOAMI-pvobcopy-PROBEDISK 2>/dev/null
if [ "`which probedisk`" != "" ]; then
probedisk | grep -i cd-*rom | cut -f 1 -d '|' 2>/dev/null > /tmp/$WHOAMI-pvobcopy-PROBEDISK
else
ls /dev/cd* 2>/dev/null > /tmp/$WHOAMI-pvobcopy-PROBEDISK
ls /dev/dvd* 2>/dev/null >> /tmp/$WHOAMI-pvobcopy-PROBEDISK
ls /dev/scd* 2>/dev/null >> /tmp/$WHOAMI-pvobcopy-PROBEDISK
ls /dev/sr* 2>/dev/null >> /tmp/$WHOAMI-pvobcopy-PROBEDISK
ls /media/cd* 2>/dev/null >> /tmp/$WHOAMI-pvobcopy-PROBEDISK
ls /media/dvd* 2>/dev/null >> /tmp/$WHOAMI-pvobcopy-PROBEDISK
fi

##add the found drives to the combobox in the gui
PROBEDRIVES=""
for ONEDRIVE in `cat /tmp/$WHOAMI-pvobcopy-PROBEDISK`
do
 PROBEDRIVES="$PROBEDRIVES<item>$ONEDRIVE</item>"
done

=================================
From pdvdrsab. Lines :152 to 159
=================================

<hbox>
    <text><label>Select your DVD drive</label></text>
    <combobox>
     <variable>PROBECOMBO</variable>
     <visible>enabled</visible>
$PROBEDRIVES
    </combobox>
    </hbox>

chrome307

#8 Post by chrome307 »

Hi there

Does anyone have a the version of Handbrake that would include the creation of AVI's using the XviD codec?

Thanks

Warrior522

#9 Post by Warrior522 »

Links are dead; repost please?