How to get Canon BJC6000 to print? (Solved?)

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
GeoffS

How to get Canon BJC6000 to print? (Solved?)

#1 Post by GeoffS »

I gave up on trying to print to my 'Low Cost Network Print Server' using Xpdq - some strange output sometimes (but not very often) was all that was achieved.
Installed CUPS and the HP LaserJet MP5 was got to working state very quickly by following the directions at http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... e3c4#12248
The Canon is another thing!!! Chasing drivers, I keep getting referred to Gimp-print. At 'Gimp-print' (which is now called Gutenprint) I find (eventually) a 4 Mb (or maybe 8Mb) download - however I am still not sure if this is the way to go and will I know what to do with it if I download it!!
Would somebody like to offer some advice please.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Puppy already has Gimp Print installed.
So, you should be able to print to a LaserJet 5.

GeoffS

#3 Post by GeoffS »

Thanks for the reply Barry - no problem though with the LaserJet - but I can't find anything in the system to work with the Canon BJC6000. I'm using Puppy 1.0.8, I've loaded CUPS (which made getting the printing to the server very easy) but I don't get anything offered for the Canon.
Where do I find it?

alex_b

canon print drivers

#4 Post by alex_b »

GeoffS

sadly canon refuse to support Linux and most drivers have to be reverse engineered. Your quickest solution would be to google for "Turbo print for linux". This is a commercial package, but it offers driver support for all latest canon printers - even cd printing on PIXMA i3000/4000 etc under linux. The free version prints a banner logo/image randomly over the top or bottom of pages - i.e. over your text/image.

Alex
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them"
- Albert Einstein

GeoffS

#5 Post by GeoffS »

Thanks for your reply Alex. I had got to Turbo Print but was hoping that somebody might know of something cheaper(!) not that it is all that expensive - about $US40.00. Although, you can just about buy printers for that much these days.
I have downloaded it. Have tried installing it from 'my docs' and then more realistically from /root/ - however on both attempts I've got heaps of 'commands not found' although some of the script did run OK.
Question - is Puppy 'bash' missing some common commands?
Another problem is that it does not offer "Mozilla' for displaying help wanting to use Konqueror (?), Opera or Netscape. I entered 'Mozilla' but then it said it could not find it.
My lack of Linux knowledge really doesn't help.
Please, some more advice
Geoff

dewdrop

#6 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Geoff,

This is dewdrop. I've purchased a Canon printer also and I am in the process of trying to get it to print with Puppy 1.0.8r1 Multi-session. I have started a thread to report my progress with printing and 2 other subjects - International keyboards and sound. You can find it here:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=6501

I think that at the moment, I feel that the Gimp print has possibilities, but my efforts so far are very preliminary.

Please feel free to contribute any efforts you accomplish to that thread, even though it is specific to the Multi-Session thread area, your efforts should still be relevant to Puppy printing in general.

dewdrop

GeoffS

"install" command

#7 Post by GeoffS »

My research so far tells me that nothing other than TurboPrint is going to do this job.
I have spent hours trying to install TurboPrint. It uses the Linux command "install" in its scripts. Puppy does not include "install".
I have searched the forum and the wiki and can find no hints as to how to get around this. Not helped by the limited search facility - the term 'install' produces so many hits as to make the results useless.
Can anybody help please?
OK - no answers for that needed. I came to a conclusion (while sitting in my dentist's waiting room) and changed all the 'install's to 'cp's and 'chngmod's. That got the installation working. Still no printer though - working on it!!
AND a half hour later it is working. Quite by chance I had to exit puppy and use Windows (briefly) - when I came back the Canon was working. So for whatever reason it was necessary to re-boot puppy and/or cups and/or turboprint to get it all working.
WARNING - if you are using CUPS - don't get confused, CUPS finds all the printers on your network, this includes the CUPS printers on other computers which, of course, will include the printer you are trying to define. Can get very messy and easy to make mistakes.

Geoff