How to install BitTorrent

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
J_Rey

How to install BitTorrent

#1 Post by J_Rey »

Until a package is made, you can install (actually compile) the original BitTorrent client on recent versions of Puppy Linux as follows:

* Install the DotPup for the libstdc++.so.6 library file
* Install the Python & PyGtk packages from Grafpup Linux (Puppy-based) with PupGet Package Manager using the install alien package option
* Download the usr_devx.sfs compiling support file to /mnt/home (don't forget the MD5 checksum)
* Download the BitTorrent source tarball (e.g. BitTorrent-4.2.2.tar.gz; either stable or beta versions)
* Reboot Puppy Linux
* Extract the tarball to /root/my-documents/tmp
* Go to console (AKA rxvt); type, for example, cd /root/my-documents/tmp/BitTorrent-4.2.2; then type python setup.py install

To use it go to Start menu -> Xrun; type bittorrent and then change the settings as you like them and enjoy!

To set up Mozilla: open Mozilla; click on a .torrent file that you'd like to use; then when prompted, Open With /usr/bin/bittorrent

These instructions are also at our Where to find Puppy Linux P2P file distribution points wiki page. If you need more help ask in this topic and I'll respond and update that page with the latest.

ezeze5000

Bittorrent

#2 Post by ezeze5000 »

I followed this step by step and couldn't get bittorrent to work.

I got to this part: To use it go to Start menu -> Xrun; type bittorrent and then change the settings as you like them and enjoy!

And I got nothing, no errors.....nothing.

I sure would like to get bittorrent to work in puppy.

It works like a charm in STX, it has it's own gui, and works perfectly.
The frontend they have looks just like the one that runs in windows.
I would like to use Puppy to do my bittorrent downloads.

I'm kinda stumped as to what to do to fix this problem.

If anybody can give me a clue, it would be much appreciated.

(edit) Sorry I forgot to tell you what version of Puppy i'm using
Puppy-1.0.7

J_Rey

#3 Post by J_Rey »

Well, I changed the wiki page because versions of BitTorrent past 4.2.2 require PyGTK 2.6 and when using newer versions of BitTorrent even with the Grafpup package for PyGTK 2.8.4 it gave errors about needing PyGTK 2.6. So, jmarsden and edr4d were working on it while on IRC earlier but came up with more problems, so I think one of them may release Python & PyGTK DotPups to allow packages that require the newer versions to work properly.

So, uninstall and try again with the updated instructions at the wiki page.

MU

#4 Post by MU »

I used azureus for some weeks, but it requires the huge Java-runtime.
So I was quite happy to see, that Opera 9 has an inbuilt bittorrent-client now.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=37002#37002

Mark

J_Rey

#5 Post by J_Rey »

OK so it seems that my original instructions only worked the first time I did them. :x

So, for now it would be best to follow the newly created BitTorrent wiki page for the latest instructions.