Puppy 4.3.1 -- bug reports and suggestions

Please post any bugs you have found
ICPUG

#241 Post by ICPUG »

lvds

PFILE=no ???

That is a series 1 Puppy boot code. We are onto Series 4 now!

If you don't want a save file then pfix=ram is the boot code.

lvds

#242 Post by lvds »

argh after all these years I was still thinking this parameter
PFILE=no was still active :roll:

But when I set PFILE=ram puppy still continue to asks me
I want to save a file at the end of the session. Is there a way
to get rid of the question ?

...err anyway, about the PFIX=nox, this one is still active no ?
I can't have it to work :?

Best regards
Laurent

ICPUG

#243 Post by ICPUG »

Is there a way to stop asking the save file question?

Probably not unless the init file is changed - but I don't really know.

Yes, pfix=nox should work.

I noticed in your previous post you said PFIX=nox.

Change that to pfix=nox and I think it might work!
Certainly the init script for 4.2.1 is a bit inconsistent with regard to what bootcodes it will allow in UPPER CASE.

capoverde

No FAT16 from GParted 0.4.5

#244 Post by capoverde »

One more bug in Puppy 4.3.1's GParted (0.4.5): when formatting an SD flash memory card to FAT16, it actually gets formatted to FAT32 (as reported right after formatting). Most MP3 players don't read this format - and get stuck.

With GParted 0.3.3 from Puppy 3.01 the correct FAT16 format is obtained, with no problems at all.

zygo

PANZERKOPF's rc.sysinit fix for remastereing

#245 Post by zygo »

In my remastered 431 usb modem switch would hang as often as it didn't resulting in pupdial failing to find the switched device. I also noticed that "usb modules not found" type errors just before X started. Disableing the udev rule and running the switch command from the command line was always successful.

In this same thread at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=180
PANZERKOPF describes the bug and offers a modified rc.sysinit described in item 3. I have remastered again, including this file, and switching with udev hasn't failed since.

Thanks PANZERKOPF

swiatmar

#246 Post by swiatmar »

I have some problems with locale settings in puppy using polish settings,
Puppy doesn't show polish characters correctly:(
example:
jako¶ pokaza³a siê jaki¶
Now idea how to fix it :(

swiatmar

#247 Post by swiatmar »

double post :(

rerwin

Supplemental dialup-modem-related packages

#248 Post by rerwin »

1. I cleared up some "loose ends" in the modem_fix_pack 5 available on the previous page of this thread. Since they add little new functionality, most users do not need to replace it. But for inclusion in Barry's effort and any puplets that now contain the fix pack 4, I provide here a delta package to add the "-5" updates to it.

2. While checking modem-init scripts for the above-mentioned delta package, I discovered an error in the script for the mwave modems and have corrected it. The mwave package is kernel independent and can also be applied to 4.1.2 and 4.2.1 puppies. Hardly anyone will need the package, but it is here for replacement in the "official puppy".

3. The usb_modeswitch utility has been updated many times since the version (1.0.2) we have used for a long time.
EDIT: The new version, 1.1.1, is part of the new delta package mentioned in the "update" below. [Remainder of bullet no longer relevant - deleted.]

4. Panzerkopf has contributed here some improvements (for remastering and full installations) to the rc.sysinit script that starts puppy up. My pup_event_backend_modprobe fix package (on page 16 of this thread, too) also modifies rc.sysinit, but in a way that allows both fixes to co-exist. While panzerkopf replaces that file, my fix merely edits it in areas unaffected by his changes. However, the order of installation is crucial: If the modprobe fix is already installed, it must first be uninstalled; then panzerkopf's rc.sysinit.gz file should be downloaded/moved to the /etc/rc.d/ directory and clicked on to decompress it in place; then the latest modprobe fix package can be installed. (Re-download it to get the latest fix to it, if your original download of "-3" was number 29 or less.)

I think this completes my work on my "modem and serialization" effort -- until problems are reported. Please report any problems regarding modems or module loading. Thanks for everyone's help in verifying these packages.
Richard

UPDATE 4/9/10: Note that now only the mwave package is current. The "delta 4 to 5" is augmented by "delta 5 to 6" downloadable here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 355#408355
The usb_modeswitch-1.1.0 package (previously available in this posting) is superseded by version 1.1.1, which is included in the new "delta 5 to 6" package. Therefore, I have removed the download for 1.1.0.
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 09 Apr 2010, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#249 Post by BarryK »

I'm uploading Quirky Puppy 008, which has rerwin's recent PETs 'pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-3.pet' and 'modem_fix_pack_to_431-4.pet', as announced here on my blog:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01411

Not, the latest, so to test rewrin's scripts on Quirky, please install the upgrade PETs that rerwin has posted.

...however, I'm not sure if these upgrades will apply cleanly to Quirky, as some scripts in Quirky, like rc.sysinit, have changed considerably since 431. Myself or rerwin will have to look into this.

Note that a script like /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit is actually in Woof, so this affects all puppies that build from the latest Woof, such as playdayz' Upup.

I'll announce Quirky 008 on my blog as soon as it has finished uploading.

http://bkhome.org/blog/
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

rerwin

#250 Post by rerwin »

Thanks, Barry, for incorporating my modem and module-loading upgrade packages.

Regarding my "delta" fix above: it only adds some PCI modem firmware tarballs and updates the modemprobe_erase script. It modifies only the new "modprobe_protect" script. So, I do not believe the package impacts Barry's modifications of rc.sysinit, rc.services, or MODULESCONFIG.
Richard

Now that I have checked the files in question, I see that two of my updates to MODULESCONFIG are not implemented as I intended. From a difference listing:

Code: Select all

38c37
< PREFLIST=' rtl8180:r8180 rtl8187:r8187 rt2500usb:rt73usb orinoco_nortel:hostap_plx orinoco_plx:hostap_plx orinoco_tmd:hostap_plx orinoco_pci:hostap_pci bcm43xx:ssb prism54:p54pci cdc_acm:dgcusbdcp hsfpcibasic2:hcfpcihw hcfpcihw:hsfpcibasic2 hso:option tulip:dmfe '
---
> PREFLIST=' rtl8180:r8180 rtl8187:r8187 rt2500usb:rt73usb orinoco_nortel:hostap_plx orinoco_plx:hostap_plx orinoco_tmd:hostap_plx orinoco_pci:hostap_pci bcm43xx:ssb prism54:p54pci hsfpcibasic2:hcfpcihw hcfpcihw:hsfpcibasic2 option:hso tulip:dmfe hso:option '
42c41
< PREFUSBSTG=" usb_storage:cdc_acm|ti_usb_3410_5052|ipw|ipwireless|moto_modem|nozomi|option|sierra|hso "
---
> PREFUSBSTG=" usb_storage:cdc_acm|ti_usb_3410_5052|hso|ipw|ipwireless|moto_modem|nozomi|option|sierra "
The issue is with the preferences between the hso and option drivers. I have not been able to get the hso support to work, as it turns out to be more complex than I have been able to address. Therefore, the "option" driver should be used whenever there is a choice. So, in the first difference group, the element "option:hso" should be removed; in the second, the "|hso" element should be moved to the end of the string, so that "option" module is preferred.

Anyone with a USB wireless modem that can be supported by both drivers should make those edits to /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG.

There is an omission from MODULESCONFIG of updates to the PCI_OVERRIDES section. The first is my error in placing a comment inappropriately, that should go just before the line "PCI_OVERRIDES='":

#A module name of (none) prevents loading of any module for the hardware ID.
Also:

12d11
< (none) 0x0000127a 0x00004321 #Rockwell riptide modem not supported by driver
I assume this is omitted because quirky does not support PCI modems. But my fear is that it will get dropped if someone uses the file as a basis in another puplet. I hope these can be restored in the next quirky version, to avoid a potential problem later.

UPDATE: I have updated the original "modprobe" package with the comment correction just described. The download count is at "34", so subsequent downloads have the correction.
Richard

OverDrive

#251 Post by OverDrive »

I originally thought this was a issue across a few versions, now I've discovered that it is *not* a problem in 4.12. So I'm posting this here...

There is a problem with dialog boxes opening up and going off the bottom of the screen with 16:xx format type monitors(recent laptops, wide screens,etc). I don't believe it effects standard 4:3 format monitors. IMHO,The problem centers around libGTK-2.14x. Puppy 4.12 with libGTK-2.12x has no problem. Upgrading 4.31 to libGTK-2.18x (and glib 2.22x) fixes it, but some people including Barry are having a annoying screen flash problem with that version. Barry, rolled back to 2.16x for Quirky. So I am looking for a libGTK-2.16x pet and the appropriate matching glib. Any available?

Here is a link to the thread.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52993
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

disciple

#252 Post by disciple »

It may be a different problem, but I have Puppy 4.1.1 and a standard 4:3 screen and xdialog windows are often placed off screen.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#253 Post by Béèm »

disciple wrote:It may be a different problem, but I have Puppy 4.1.1 and a standard 4:3 screen and xdialog windows are often placed off screen.
Didn't you see the thread about this?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

OverDrive

#254 Post by OverDrive »

Beem, Yes, Actually I was the person who started that thread.

I still find it quite interesting that the problem happened *after* we went to GTK-2.14x

OverDrive

Update: OOPS, Beem, Sorry I just realized you had quoted disciple and was discussing with him....

FWIW, I think we got it fixed now using GTK-2.16x
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

rerwin

Wireless modem support upgrade

#255 Post by rerwin »

I have made further updates to the the modprobe-serialization fix and modem fix pack, downloadable from the previous page of this thread. Attached is a delta package for use if you have the previous fixes in this area. To complete the support for it, you should also uninstall and replace the pup_event_modprobe package with the (-4) version downloadable with this link: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=27883

My posting on page 16 of this thread contains the updated details.

As before, please notify me of any problems after installing the packages. The best way to tell me is by PM and an attachment of the diagnostic file you can create with the "pmodemdiag" command. please also post here of any success with the new version, since I cannot test whether it all works in the real world (no modem for testing). Thanks to all for your help in my getting this far with the wireless modem support.

UPDATE 4/7/10: Re-uploaded the delta package after the first 2 downloads (which should be re-done), to make the pinstall script executable so cleanup takes place.
Richard
Attachments
modem_fix_pack_delta-5-to-6.pet
Adds automated/integrated usb_modeswitching, expanding modem-model coverage.
Addresses need for ttyUSB- names other than &quot;0&quot;.
(41.76 KiB) Downloaded 877 times
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 09 Apr 2010, 14:10, edited 2 times in total.

mama21mama

no x

#256 Post by mama21mama »

FATAL: could not load /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/modules.dep: no such file or directory.
my problem

rerwin

Re: modem_fix_pack_delta_5_to_6.pet

#257 Post by rerwin »

To the first two downloaders of the delta 5-to-6 package posted here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 355#408355

Please re-download the package, uninstall the previous package, and reinstall the newer one. This will clean out now-obsolete udev rules files that might interfere with usb-wireless-modem mode switching.
Richard

rerwin

Separate package for usb_modeswitch binary posted

#258 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
Thanks for taking my latest modem update. In response to your statement that you excluded the usb_modeswitch binary, which is inside the modem-fix package, I have attached a separate package, usb-modeswitch-1.1.1.pet, to the message containing those latest updates.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 235#388235

The fix-pack copy is the binary supplied with the source package, whereas the separate version was complied in puppy. Although the sizes differ (32K vs. 36K), the separate (36K) one seems to work as well as the other.

Keep in mind that I can test only with an ordinary flash drive, so cannot verify that mode switching still works. And I have seen no feedback either way! Apparently we have to build the changes into something and let users stumble into any bugs. I prefer to test as thoroughly as possible beforehand, but must rely on those with the modems to report their experiences with the new version of usb_modeswitch.

Anyway, without the binary, mode switching will fail, because the old (1.0.2) version does not handle the new configuration database that improves automated detection -- and won't have the old rules to work with.

Users who have already installed the two packages need not install the new one, but no harm would be done if the "1.1.1" package replaces the other version.

BTW: A version 1.1.2 is being worked on by the developer. But it seems to be taking a while to get released. I will provide it and related updates soon after they are released.

Another BTW: The usb_modeswitch product includes a script written in tcl, which standard puppies do not support. I have replicated that script with a bash script. However, if tcl is installed (find "tcl . . ." in package installer) the tcl script will be used instead. That provides a workaround if you encounter a problem with the bash imitation.
Richard

mama21mama

kernel/drivers error

#259 Post by mama21mama »

Apr 20 14:52:28 (none) daemon.notice modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting lp (/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/char/lp.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
Apr 20 14:52:28 (none) daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/initrd/kernel/drivers/parport/parport.ko': No such file or directory
Apr 20 14:52:28 (none) daemon.notice modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting lp (/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/char/lp.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

paste

Reaperz

#260 Post by Reaperz »

Any one ever get this message?

"Intel chipset detected. However, 915resolution was unable to determine the chip set type."

After running the Everest utility in Windows, this is what it found for the chipset:
North Bridge - Intel Whitney i810
South Bridge - Intel 82801AA