Integration of 3G Wireless Modem Detection - 4.1.2 & 4.2.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

#501 Post by rerwin »

The first problem is that the HSO mode switcher was left out of puppy 4.3.1. I have sent windowsuser a package to test with. I will include this in my next modem fix pack (6).
Richard

windowsuser

#502 Post by windowsuser »

rerwin wrote:The first problem is that the HSO mode switcher was left out of puppy 4.3.1. I have sent windowsuser a package to test with. I will include this in my next modem fix pack (6).
Richard
I got the same result after installing the test package. It still shows ttySHSFO.
I sent a PM.
The only thing is that this time the CDROM drive icon does not show on the desktop on rebooting, as it did all the other times. I did try replugging few times also.

rerwin

#503 Post by rerwin »

dejan555,
Regarding the ZTE MF626, I seem to have ignored it until now. Here is your last post about it before today:
Still no luck with ZTE MF626. I can make it switch to modem mode and enter /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 as modem device but immidietly after connect it disconnects and switches to another mode. (3 different modes from pluging it in till modeswitch and disconnect) Sad
But I may have something of interest to you. In the fix pack I am working on, I add code to deal with the problem of the modem being something other than ttyUSB0. Your case seems appropriate for testing out the concept. I need some feedback before I can be confident it is ready for the fix pack. Would you be willing to try it? They (actually 2 dotpets) should work for any puppy 4.3.1 derivative. But remember: it would be an experiment.

I suspect that some of the difficulties connecting are due to using the wrong ttyUSB#. As I understand, two numbers respond to AT commands. But beyond that, determining which is the right one is ambiguous. My fix provides both and allows the user to choose the alternate if the first selection fails. It might get us a step closer to solution for you.
Richard

dejan555

#504 Post by dejan555 »

OK, just pass me pets, are they in first post?
BTW, I'm running dpup 2.6.30.5 kernel which seems to have your udev rules and usbserial module since it automatically recognizes my e220 huawei.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Stez

#505 Post by Stez »

I've also got a ZTE MF626, and seem to have the same problem.

Yesterday the modem was found and it let me try to dial out. I then got the "no carrier" message. I think that was on ttyUSB1.

Today, the modem isn't being found. The initial connection screen says it's at ttyUSB0, but when I probe it doesn't find anything.

If I can 'find' it again I'm more than happy to help, though I'm pretty clueless on linux.

4.3.1, EeePC, t-mobile (uk)
modem_fix_pack_to_431-5.pet and pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-3.pet installed.

richard.a

MyFi

#506 Post by richard.a »

Like many, I've given up on this project.

I'm now considering whether or not to spend a further $350 AU to buy the MiFi (marketed in the US by Verizon, I think) shirt pocket WiFi hotspot which receives 3G and outputs up to 4 or 5 standard wifi feeds.

This is being marketed in Australia by Internode (my provider) and will eventually be $50 more after the introductory offer expires.

http://www.internode.on.net/residential/broadband/3g_wireless/nodemobile_data
http://www.internode.on.net/residential/broadband/3g_wireless/nodemobile_data/hardware/mifi
http://www.novatelwireless.com/mifi

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1199155.html

Apparently it has been tried by their support people with several Linux systems and one guy I discussed it with had personally used it with CentOS

Such a pity that as so many Ozzie single computer users run a 3G dongle with Telstra - or better choice of Optus with several others piggybacking on Optus (Internode is one) that we can't get it working

Richard in Adelaide (South Australia)
The state where bogus voting instructions won the election - and are not illegal
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

rerwin

#507 Post by rerwin »

richard.a,
Please don't give up on me, yet. Although I have been busy with the modem resource-serialization issue, to ensure no random surprises during driver loading, I am now continuing with wireless modem fixes. I am working with a few people via PM to make progress.

Would you refresh me via PM as to your situation? I would not want you to spend the kind of money you are talking about to get something that will still be a challenge to make work. I would like to get the "Telstra 3G dongle" modems working, but need the help of users so I can understand what is happening. Actually, I thought I resolved that, but maybe not.

A "heads up": I am converting the mode switching function to use the latest means of support, which can differentiate among modems that initially have the same identifier but change differently. That avoids the hassle of editing a rules file in such cases.
Richard

richard.a

#508 Post by richard.a »

rerwin wrote:richard.a,
Please don't give up on me, yet. Although I have been busy with the modem resource-serialization issue, to ensure no random surprises during driver loading, I am now continuing with wireless modem fixes. I am working with a few people via PM to make progress.
OOps I'm sorry it came out that way, looking at it, it appears like a personal attack. Not so and I apologise to to you and anyone else who might have thought it was.

When I said I had given up, the meaning intended was "It's too hard for me, as I'm one of those who needs to be able to click a dialogue box". Puppy is a brilliant thing, and one has to recognise puppies can't necessarily run faster than grown ups :) (I used to run a dog obedience school btw)
rerwin wrote:Would you refresh me via PM as to your situation? I would not want you to spend the kind of money you are talking about to get something that will still be a challenge to make work. I would like to get the "Telstra 3G dongle" modems working, but need the help of users so I can understand what is happening. Actually, I thought I resolved that, but maybe not.
Would be useful to post my details here rather than in PM so everyone can see what I have...

Internode provided Huawei E160E HSDPA stick. Optus is the carrier

Works perfectly on a bunch of laptops and desktops/towers of various vintage, running WindowsXP SP2 and SP3. Not tried on Windows2000 of which I have several.

Almost connects on PCLinuxOS 2009.2 Gnome, 2009.4 XFCE. Not tried anything else apart from several varieties of Puppy 4.31. After communication with Internode support - who appreciated being kept in the loop via this thread - have not heard if they have been advised of any success with Linux systems.

I'm not a developer, although I used to write LISP code for AutoCAD years ago
rerwin wrote:A "heads up": I am converting the mode switching function to use the latest means of support, which can differentiate among modems that initially have the same identifier but change differently. That avoids the hassle of editing a rules file in such cases.
Regarding the MiFi device mentioned, it may very well prove useful anyway, for demo-ing a combination of Linux, wifi hotspots, and 3G connectivity among friends and business owners with whom I'm acquainted. (I'm retired from the work force)

We need more hotspots after all, and imho the internode hotspot system is possibly the best Australian one for minimal investment by businesses.

Richard in Adelaide
where we are still perturbed about bogus ballots
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

01micko

#509 Post by 01micko »

Richard and Richard,

I have set up a bunch of those modems (E160*) with Virgin (carries through Optus) and DoDo... Perhaps the "-chap" option is needed for Optus too? (in /etc/ppp/options). I uncovered that one awhile ago but I'm not sure your fix has filtered through Richard (rerwin) in all puppies.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Greatnessguru

Motorola VE465

#510 Post by Greatnessguru »

- Motorola VE465 mobile phone in USB modem mode
- Quirky010

Phone not automatically detected by either
Internet Connection Wizard modem probing or by
PupDial modem probing.

If I first modprobe "usbserial" for the phone (see below), then
Internet Connnection Wizard modem probing still does not detect it
"no modem detected", but
PupDial modem probing does then detect it.

[ cat /proc/bus/usb/devices ]
T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=22b8 ProdID=2b24 Rev= 0.02
S: Manufacturer=Motorola Inc.
S: Product=Motorola VE465
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=500mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 16 Ivl=128ms
E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
I:* If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E: Ad=84(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms

[ modprobe -v usbserial vendor=0x22b8 product=0x2b24 ]
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.33.1/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko vendor=0x22b8 product=0x2b24

[ cat /proc/bus/usb/devices ]
T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=22b8 ProdID=2b24 Rev= 0.02
S: Manufacturer=Motorola Inc.
S: Product=Motorola VE465
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=500mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=usbserial_generic
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 16 Ivl=128ms
E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
I:* If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=usbserial_generic
E: Ad=84(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms

I would be happy to test things that would get automatic modprobing and detection working for
both Internet Connection Wizard and PupDial.

Thank you,
Eddie Maddox

richard.a

practical example of Mi-Fi usefulness (if I had one)

#511 Post by richard.a »

Regarding the MiFi device mentioned, it may very well prove useful anyway, for demo-ing a combination of Linux, wifi hotspots, and 3G connectivity among friends and business owners with whom I'm acquainted. (I'm retired from the work force)

We need more hotspots after all, and imho the internode hotspot system is possibly the best Australian one for minimal investment by businesses.
I wrote that in my last post, and this is a little off topic.

Since then, at 2001 yesterday (according to IRC logs) my main ADSL service went down due to a line fault. Australia's phone lines are all owned by just one telco. We are hamstrung here.

It's now almost 12 hours since the failure. I've been using 3G wireless connectivity to keep IRC bots and channel (chat room) logging going via a laptop with the 3G dongle mentioned previously.

If I had the MiFi I described - instead of the USB dongle - at least parts of my LAN could be operational to the outside world, allowing more than one computer access :)

UPDATED
I have the MiFi unit - a dash into Adelaide to pick up the unit from Internode.

A very simple job to transfer the SIM card, there is an instruction book.

I tested it out, and while a little iffy first up to recognise the unit on 4.3.1 vanilla, it did after 3 attempts. Also on 2.14X15 (nicely) as well as superbly on 4.2.1

This was on a Toshiba Satellite 1800, 896 Celeron processor, 256, and a D-Link PCMCIA AirPlus-G NIC.

Richard in Adelaide -
although my whois on 3G often says I'm in Sydney, 1000 miles away lol. Today it says Melbourne, 800 miles away:)
Last edited by richard.a on Tue 30 Mar 2010, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#512 Post by cthisbear »

richard.a

Whirlpool forum...same problem.

" Im trying to get a huawei E160E USB modem to work with Puppy Linux. "

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... =-1#bottom

Chris.

01micko

#513 Post by 01micko »

richard.a

You may find this interesting so you can share you 3G internet, I have done it and know it works with ethernet, but should work with a wireless adapter too.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 11&t=37520

It is a great little program and it has documentation included.

cthisbear

Posted a reply on whirlpool for your mate over there.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

cthisbear

#514 Post by cthisbear »

01micko:

Good work mate...........Chris.

Aitch

#515 Post by Aitch »

Richard a.

Which Mifi device did you get?

I'm curious, as I posted a link earlier for the Huawei E5830 one used by Three in UK

Good to see you got it working on 4.2.1, 4.3.1, and 2.14X - my 3 favourite puppies at the moment, but some tips on what you did would be useful

Do you have full web admin access? - the Three version seems crippled, [?] and seemingly doesn't allow wep ar wpa/2 security, though there are reports of updating the firmware, and unlocking the device to get around this - I only have mine [very new acquisition] working on Windoze, atm :(

thanks

Aitch :)

richard.a

Mi-Fi does work, and nicely

#516 Post by richard.a »

Aitch wrote:Which Mifi device did you get?
The natty little black box says it's a 2352, and the manual says it could have been a 2372. Not sure what the difference is. I did read somewhere that it has Huawei E5830 internals rather than those of the E160E dongle which I have.

It also appears to have been available in black or silver. Mine is black.
Aitch wrote:I'm curious, as I posted a link earlier for the Huawei E5830 one used by Three in UK
Oh... I must have missed that :(
Aitch wrote:Good to see you got it working on 4.2.1, 4.3.1, and 2.14X - my 3 favourite puppies at the moment, but some tips on what you did would be useful
While it was running for the next few hours, I also tried an Aspire1 on which I have the four OS's I mentioned so I know it supports at least two WiFi connections nicely.

I didn't wish to waste time with the security stuff, particularly because I have found with a Netgear WG614 (v9) that there were difficulties in getting the three puppy versions mentioned connecting encrypted. 4.21 was more iffy than 4.31 in that regard.
Aitch wrote:Do you have full web admin access? - the Three version seems crippled, [?] and seemingly doesn't allow wep ar wpa/2 security, though there are reports of updating the firmware, and unlocking the device to get around this - I only have mine [very new acquisition] working on Windoze, atm :(
As mentioned, I didn't explore what I can do with it; almost all of my ISP's Adelaide customers had DSLAM failure which nobody has explained yet... but one suspects it was a problem associated with what is referred to as "the last mile" here - the length of copper conductor from the phone exchange mainframe to the customers, administered by "the only game in town" so to speak.

The chat rooms in which I'm an admin (in my spare time!) were having to be supervised by bots and personal clients on an old Toshiba laptop running WindowsXP SP2. So, hence my extremely fast "get-it-running-at-all costs" saga because of this situation which didn't need downtime longer than a few minutes.

I charged the battery (without inserting the SIM because the latter was in use) - the book says 4hrs initial charge - and it showed a solid LED charged indication after 2 hours.

About 30mins later (to ensure it was fully charged), I shut down the charger, shut down bots and chat clients, and pulled the 3G dongle from the WindowsXP home SP2 ancient Toshiba Satellite 1800 laptop, leaving the laptop idling.

Then removed the SIM from the dongle, removed the (now charged) battery from the MiFi, plugged SIM and then battery into MiFi (SIM sits under the battery), and pressed the power on button on the MiFi.

As soon as the MiFi LEDs announced its search had located a 3G signal and locked on (this is described in detail in the instruction booklet provided by manufacturer Novatel), I told the (Windows) laptop to go looking and it was quickly located and set as default, I restarted the bots and chat clients

It really was as simple as that!

Comments
I wrote to Internode later that evening giving them an update, and said a maximum of 15mins to do the change-over, but I suspect it was far, far, less.

Setting up to use the hotspot on the puppies mentioned was only slightly longer in duration than on WindowsXP... and was about the same length of time as in accessing a regular "proper" hotspot!

Actually it IS a proper hotspot lol :)

Once my regular ADSL connection was restored considerably later that night, I tried the same puppies on the Toshiba laptop and they performed similarly. Interestingly the D-Link PCMCIA WiFi identifies in puppies and PCLinuxOS as Atheros, which is what the Aspire1's claims to be. So that isn't as good a check as it might be.

The instruction book also tells you how to go about using it as a regular 3G device, but the WiFi side is disabled if you do that - which I thought was pretty pointless.

The ability exists to configure the device by both web browser and alternatively via a USB cable, but I didn't use either method as it self-configures nicely and quickly (without any security of course) on its own. WPA etc needs to be set up with either web or USB access.

There is a miniature card slot on the back which can be for any capacity up to 16Gb for storage of downloads etc - very useful when the 3G provider charges for the bandwidth in both directions. My ISP (who doesn't count uploads on its regular ADSL plans) have little choice but to pass on the charges from Optus who is the 3G carrier they use. So the card can be removed later and its contents copied across a regular LAN, etc.

I'm impressed actually at the simplicity of operation. A plus for non technical users, and it is ideally suited for converts to alternative OS's who could be discouraged if it wasn't simple. I've seen the expressions on their faces when something is sufficiently "different" to be a worry factor :).

Aitch

#517 Post by Aitch »

Richard a.

Thanks, good feedback!

Here's the link I posted ,

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 490#394490

...and like you, hooked it up really easily - haven't done much more experimenting with it yet, as I have broadband, and it's fairly expensive to use, but I bought it for my camper & narrowboat, though I'm still trying to get a good 12v Car PC rig in the boat - having a problem with the right power supply - blown 2 cheapies already, and I'm still experimenting with powered USB extension cables for the remote DVD player/writer, as it plays up on standard extensions, and getting a low power screen to work, cheaply [I'd really like a 15" touchscreen that uses about 25watts or less! ] - not enough 'leisure' battery reserve amps is the real problem, so I'm also trying to get better charging output from the main engine alternator....and maybe a solar panel

Meanwhile, mobile I have an Edubook running XP Fundamentals[?] slowly..., and an IBM T21 running XP/214X, using a standard 3G E220 :D and a 300w inverter to recharge the batteries :D

Aitch :)

Baldronicus

Internode 3G access Puppy 4.3.1 standard E160E (or X)

#518 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi rerwin et al,

Thanks very much for all the effort and information with the dial up and Mobile Broadband modems.

Hopefully the following might be of assistance with the Internode connection problem (at least it seems to work- not sure if there might be hidden rough edges, or whether I might unknowingly have done something else to get it to work).

Edit (again- cut out too much): As Richard (rerwin) points out in another post below, the description that originally followed is not really the best way to approach the connection. At this stage, updating /etc/resolv.conf with the DNS info on the sheet provided with the modem (by Internode), looks a much better way to go.

Best to have the latest backend and modem update pets loaded (you may need to use a pupsave or a remastered 4.3.1- if remastering 4.3.1 see the threads in the forum-as there may be a problem unless you use one of the various fixes). Reboot with the modem attached (initial run), and follow Richard's (rerwin's) advice for detecting the modem.

Set up PupDial with:
Phone Number: *99#
Username: (as per Smokey01's advice this can be anything- I used "a"
Password: (as per Username)
APN: internode

Open /etc/resolv.conf. (I don't know if you would need to uncomment and overwrite the first line with the following, but it may not hurt). Key in the word "nameserver" (without quotes), leave a space, then enter the Primary DNS info as given on the sheet. On the next line do the same for the Secondary DNS info. Save the file (in place) and hopefully it should work when you try connecting through PupDial..

The initial connection may still seem a bit slow, but it seems to work pretty well after that.

Edit:paragraphs removed as redundant.

Hope this helps, and I haven't botched anything (no, I don't know what I am doing).

Thanks.
Baldronicus

Edit: forgot to note modem type: Huawei E160E (possibly E160X in documentation)
Last edited by Baldronicus on Mon 03 May 2010, 00:53, edited 3 times in total.

kazzamozz

3Gwireless modem autodetection

#519 Post by kazzamozz »

Hi Rerwin
I know this forum is for 4.1.2 and upwards but I
just thought I would update you on recent events.

Have installed your latest 3g 13.pet
and Istandish's mt-gprs-2.6.21.7-12.pet
Success with a Vodafone 3Gk3715
using ttuxxxs 214r5 puppy and also mini-sys-linux mini 008.4c-En & Muppy
kernel 2.6.21.7
New Years Pup 4.11 base not sure of the kernel

I know this is only supposed to work on 4.1.2 and later but this is working on the early puppies and also updating the menus for gprs connect. It works very well too.

once you install this plug in the modem reboot
Click on gprs connect I get a connection. I still cannot get this modem to actually work under pupdial, it can see it but it just sits there waiting for a response, but as stated previously for some reason it's very happy to connect with gprs connect I only have to enter.
Vfinternet.au
and it works.

I am currently testing on growler and teenpup but am having problems as they won't create the save file. This is related to the Toshiba L300 keeps going to a dead screen when rebooting so will be testing on the desktop tomorrow.

Just thought this may be of interest with all the work you have been doing on this. Personally I am wrapt I can get a 3G modem to work on the older pups as some of them are pretty cool. I didn't have to do any mucking around either they just installed. So whatever magic you have created seems to work on any puppy so far !! 8)

Cheers
Kazzamozz

rerwin

#520 Post by rerwin »

I am pleased to see you making such progress on your own. I have been preoccupied with the upgrade to usb_modeswitch in time for 4.3.2. Now I need some of you to test out the new packages so we don't get an ugly surprise in 4.3.2.

First, install the updated pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-4.pet:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=27883

Then, if you already have modem_fix_pack_to_431-5 installed, just install modem_fix_pack_delta-5-to-6.pet:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=27884

Otherwise, if you start with a fresh 4.3.1 or 4.3.2 puppy and new pupsave, just install modem_fix_pack_to_431-6.pet:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=27882

Please report your results ASAP so I can recommend that ttuuxxx add the fix pack delta to his official 4.3.2 (or make a quick fix)..

Regarding the possible need for the "-chap" workaround: there is a way to avoid the editing of the /ppp/options file. In anticipation of a need for it for other ISPs, I implemented an easy way to add new providers. However, I see that the instance I created for whoever-raised-the-issue did not make it into 4.3.1 as I had intended. But it is easy to add yourselves. Given your actual APN string, which I show here as (APN), enter the command:
echo "-chap" > /etc/wvdial_options/APN-(APN)

Pupdial will then insert the "-chap" automatically. You need do that only once, since it is retained. Please post the new files that are needed so I can add them to an update. Thanks

With the completion of the fix-pack-6, I am ready to resume work on details for particular modem models. So, when trying the latest implementation, please tell me of any problems. I admit that my progress on the ones I have been working has been frustrating. But we need to press on with what can be resolved.

Thank you for all of your help with this.
Richard

Baldronicus,
I am fascinated by your experimentation with your E160. You are the first I know of to utilize the extra Init statements I built into wvdial.conf. Your Init4 entry tells me you need to force your provider to use only 3G, and not 2G. Is that because they give you 2G by default? Or will 2G not work if they have to "fall back" to it? I am surprised it is necessary in your case.

Regarding commenting out the line with 115200: all the feedback I see is that the speed value is irrelevant for wireless modems, so any value can be set and will be ignored. One less thing to mess with.
Richard

Greatnessguru,
Regarding your Motorola VE465 mobile phone in USB modem mode: I have something to help you along. Although we won't be able to get the Connect Wizard to detect your phone (because it requires the generic usbserial driver/module), we can automate the loading of that module, so that you can simply probe for the modem in Pupdial.

Modems commonly use a driver (e.g., option, sierra) that has an associated initialization script that finds the ttyUSB- device. Those drivers actually invoke usbserial, so having a script for usbserial gets tricky. But these cases are rare and the probe step is at least straightforward.

The latest modem fix pack (-6) has a file: /etc/udev/rules.d/50-modprobe-usbserial.rules, which can be expanded to include your phone/modem. The file currently has one special case in it, More can be added in the following format:

Code: Select all

# #################################################
# Modem name...

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", \
ATTRS{idVendor}=="vvvv", ATTRS{idproduct}=="pppp", \
RUN+="/sbin/modprobe usbserial %s{idVendor} %s{idProduct}"

where you change the vvvv to the vendor ID and pppp to the product ID. Adding the modem name would be good, too.

Your entry should be this:

Code: Select all

#################################################
# Motorola VE465

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", \
ATTRS{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTRS{idproduct}=="2b24", \
RUN+="/sbin/modprobe usbserial %s{idVendor} %s{idProduct}"
Please try the new update packages and try this out. There may be more things to adjust, but this is a start.
Richard