DBus, DbusGLib when does one need such? [Solved]

Booting, installing, newbie
nooby

DBus, DbusGLib when does one need such? [Solved]

#1 Post by nooby »

as the title says. I guess firefox need it but when and which other programs need it?
Last edited by nooby on Sat 03 Apr 2010, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

I don't think there's a good answer to that question as it is used by a huge number of programs.
Personally I think it is pretty pathetic if the new versions of Firefox require it, but I suspect one could build Firefox to not depend on it - you can certainly disable dbus support in a lot of programs, anyway.
I think it is basically used to allow programs to communicate with each other. A lot of programs just use it to make sure only a single-instance of the program is running - i.e. if a program is already running then running its commands again will control the instance that is already running, instead of starting a second copy of the program.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Sit Heel Speak

#3 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

DBus and DBusGLib are crucial dependencies of, among other things:

1. the Gnome Disk Utilities of the Gnome Desktop;
and, most tantalizingly,
2, the Evolution email client of Gnome, the email client you really wish you had.

At the moment, I would consider Evolution to be the Holy Grail of Puppy development :lol: -seriously...

DaveS

#4 Post by DaveS »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:DBus and DBusGLib are crucial dependencies of, among other things:

1. the Gnome Disk Utilities of the Gnome Desktop;
and, most tantalizingly,
2, the Evolution email client of Gnome, the email client you really wish you had.

At the moment, I would consider Evolution to be the Holy Grail of Puppy development :lol: -seriously...
Odd........... I never liked it :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

What - evolution, gnome or dbus?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

DaveS

#6 Post by DaveS »

disciple wrote:What - evolution, gnome or dbus?
Evolution. It seemed to fall over a lot, was slow, covered a huge amount of screen space with toolbars etc, and gave me far more features than I ever needed.
I guess the point is, it just seems to need a lot of hardware resource. Bit like being forced to drive a limousine when you really want a motorcycle :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sit Heel Speak

#7 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

DaveS wrote:...Evolution. It seemed to fall over a lot...
It's a bear --maybe even "impossible"-- to compile correctly, let alone make it Puppy slim'n'trim. The prime stumper is the "evolution-data-server" component. In February, they were patching it too fast to keep up. And they still didn't get it right. As of Gnome 230, released about 48 hours ago, Gnome's "jhbuild" autobuilder still can't compile Evolution. Grouch. Snarl. Snap.

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

Hahah, so now the thread turned into a fight about how good Evolution is as an email client.

So DBus take care of communication between programs.

Such could be important okay. I guess I should read up more on it. But have other priorities just now.

I am slowly migrating to be a "sole" user of Linux and Puppy Linux most likely at that.

Back in Nov 2009 I only used windows Vista or XP or Win7.

Then I started in the morning with Windows and ended the day with linux. Then I started in the morning but only used win for an hour or so and then tried out linux the rest of the day. Then I started with linux and tried to use it all day but had to use windows for some things like burning a DVD or installing a non puppy linux on usb or listening to Spotify and then I learned to use wine to do spotify on linux and then and then and then.

Now three of my computers have Puppy Linux as the default OS that start up first and I only go into windows when I need to do a DVD to test a new linux like Debian Elive or similar.

so much more to learn but I have become used to, a growing habit to try to rely solely on Linux for everything.

What I still fail to do is

1. Virtual Midi Piano Keyboard in Linux.

2. Recording the Audio from the SoundCard directly to the HDD using Audacity together with "Lame" something.

3. DAZ Studio 3D something. Seems to be for Windows. Maybe Mac?

4. Learning how to place things outside the save file.
Yes they have described it to me and I have no idea what they talk about. It is always easy if you know what the words means but when one fail to grasp it is impossible to wild guess what they say. And they only get angry when one fail to grasp. so one don't dare to ask again.

I also need to learn to change the symlink from SeaMonkey to Firefox on the icon on the Desktop.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though