How to get Viewnior to show .png files? (solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
nooby

How to get Viewnior to show .png files? (solved)

#1 Post by nooby »

look here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 682#404682

I try to describe how I finally solved it. Took me four month from Dec 2009 to April 2010 to learn it. I did struggle with it 2008 and 2007 too but then forgot how to do it.

I admire all the newbies that manage to do these things on their own. Kudos to them.

original text follows. ->

I Need help to get gview going for .png files because I fail to get Viewnior to show the .png files that mtPaint has captured from screenshot.

Viewnior fails! it says there are no files to show.

People have told me numerous times that I should "drop" a program in the "run" so it knows that that program should be used.

I ahve tried and tried now for four month and have no clue on how does one do it? I admire all the beginners that manage to do it. I am not that intelligent obviously. Very embarrassing to admit but I really do my best here.

Could some kind individual do a step by step going through how to get gview bonded or what the word is to the run action of png files?

I fail to see the gview program in my puppy431std was that one dropped from what to include and viewnior maybe put instead.

I guess I can do PPM to get it but then we have the problem of making it know that it should be used with png files.

could someone help please.
Last edited by nooby on Fri 26 Mar 2010, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Viewnior opens the png files in /root/puppy-reference/midi-icons when I click on them.

I assume you're telling mtPaint to save the screenshot as a png file somewhere like /tmp, then clicking on the file to open it.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

When I do as you do then it says,.
The given locations contains no images.

I went to what you described there and it fail to show those png pictures too. Same with the ones that mtPaint screenshot produces.

Could my version of puppy431std have some glitch crept in then?

Or have you repaired a bug and then forgotten you reparied it. some pet that Barry made and then forgot to include in the official iso?

if it is possible to repair it that would be cool.

Maybe you use another puppy than me?

How do I get a viewnior that works with png without having to do a full reinstall of puppy431std?

Can I extract a working version out of the iso or do a install on an usb and then move the functional one from that one and replace the faulty one on my set up?

tubby

#4 Post by tubby »

Hi Nooby i have tried to open .png files from viewnior and to my surprise it did not work from the pull down menu on the desktop, all .png files grayed out.
How ever it did work from a Rox window, this is probably a bug with viewnior and maybe should be reported. I am using Quirky 010 at the moment.
If you have not already done so enable thumbs in RoxFiler and then viewnior opens the .png when you click on them if it is still your default viewer..

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

When I look in Set run action it says:

defaultimageviewer "$gview"

Despite this it doesn't show. But if I right click on .png pic and choose open with gview then it shows it.

Above in set run action they suggest one drag and drop an application. But to be able to do that one first need to find the application. They don't tell where to find it and which of the many versions to use.

Edit:

Aah by pure accident I managed to find out how to make a proper Set run action drop of application.

I had first used pmount to actuvate the hdd partition whicg have the png files I want to look at.

Then I did a right click on one such file and go to Set run action to the right in the two pop up things.

while that stay in place I go to Menu in lowest left corner and click on Menu -> Filesystems -> pfind and wrote viewnior and found very many answers and chosed one of them that looked like an icon that indicate it is supposed to be dropped :) and dropped it into the Set run and it worked. now it does show all png as easy as jpg or gif.

How a complete newbie is supposed to be able to do this I ahve no clue.

So I solved it but not sure how to tell somebody else how to do it reliably.

wow took me four month to learn this easy thing. I am not bright am I. :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

nooby wrote:...How a complete newbie is supposed to be able to do this I ahve no clue.

So I solved it but not sure how to tell somebody else how to do it reliably....
Seems to me you just did it. Thanks! :)

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

Flash! You must be a patient man. To me four month is an eternity.

My aim is to be complete independent of M$ windows.

Linux almost have let me but what I still fail to do is to use one linux and install another linux OS on an usb.

Windows has some 5 different such programs. I have found none in linux that does it. Unless one need to know their names to be able to find them.

Or linux people use the CLI/Terminal/Konsole to do it and thus never use any name for such a program.

do you know what is the proper search name for such prog? If one don't "burn" and iso to an USB, what is it that one does? install? But usually that is done by that OS itself and not by another OS.

One use Puppy do to a puppy install on an usb but can puppy install another linux on that usb? Windows can.

What am I supposed to use for search terms. I tried it for four months now and not find a solution. AFAIK now that is the only thing that is available in windows to me but not in linux?

miriam

used to work, but no longer does

#8 Post by miriam »

I am not sure what I recently installed that stopped Viewnior working. It used to work nicely, and for a long time has been my preferred way of viewing gif and png files, but it recently started displaying the message "the given locations contain no images".

I tried compiling it again, thinking this might fix it, but (after a time-wasting diversion having to fetch a new version of cairo and compile it) I found it still doesn't work.

I'm using Puppy Lucid 5.2.8 though I'm considering moving up to a more recent Puppy. The only thing holding me back is the enormous amount of software I've installed or compiled and installed. A few more library stuff-ups like this and I may finally decide to move on.

Does anybody have any idea what could be the problem? I've tried loading images via commandline, via Viewnior's own file selector, by dropping on the executable, but none work. All of those used to work before.

Code: Select all

ldd `which viewnior`
	linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
	libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0xb73a7000)
	libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0xb7311000)
	libatk-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so.0 (0xb72f5000)
	libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 (0xb72e9000)
	libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 (0xb72c2000)
	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb71cb000)
	libcairo.so.2 => /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2 (0xb712a000)
	libpixman-1.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpixman-1.so.0 (0xb70a2000)
	libpng12.so.0 => /lib/libpng12.so.0 (0xb707d000)
	libXrender.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXrender.so.1 (0xb7073000)
	libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb6f56000)
	libxcb-xlib.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 (0xb6f53000)
	libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0xb6f39000)
	libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb6f35000)
	libpango-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0 (0xb6ef2000)
	libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 (0xb6ec2000)
	libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0xb6e4b000)
	libexpat.so.1 => /lib/libexpat.so.1 (0xb6e24000)
	libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 (0xb6e0a000)
	libgio-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0 (0xb6d6c000)
	libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0xb6d58000)
	libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0xb6d43000)
	libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb6d1c000)
	libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (0xb6cdd000)
	libgmodule-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0 (0xb6cd8000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb6cd4000)
	libgthread-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0 (0xb6cce000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb6cb4000)
	librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xb6cab000)
	libglib-2.0.so.0 => /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0xb6be1000)
	libpcre.so.0 => /lib/libpcre.so.0 (0xb6bb0000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb6a56000)
	libXcomposite.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXcomposite.so.1 (0xb6a52000)
	libXdamage.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXdamage.so.1 (0xb6a4d000)
	libXfixes.so.3 => /usr/lib/libXfixes.so.3 (0xb6a47000)
	libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb6a37000)
	libXinerama.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXinerama.so.1 (0xb6a33000)
	libXi.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXi.so.6 (0xb6a25000)
	libXrandr.so.2 => /usr/lib/libXrandr.so.2 (0xb6a1c000)
	libXcursor.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXcursor.so.1 (0xb6a12000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb777f000)
	libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb69f3000)
	libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb69ed000)
	libselinux.so.1 => /lib/libselinux.so.1 (0xb69d1000)
Which is weird, in order to compile Viewnior I had to compile a new version of cairo which installed itself in /usr/local/lib not in /usr/lib

I've run into problems a number of times before when there is a mismatch between where libs get put and where programs expect them. You'd think the LD_LIBRARY_PATH would eliminate this problem, and I'm sure it solves most problems of libs in odd places, but becomes annoying when for instance if I install a pet or a deb that puts another version of a library elsewhere. I spent ages driving myself nuts with, I think it was ImageMagick, when I finally realised something else had installed an old version of a library in the library path and the program was choking on it. I can't remember how I worked that out. When I simply deleted the superfluous libs it all worked fine.
[color=blue]A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?[/color]