Emerge on Puppy, or something like it

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
steve_s

Emerge on Puppy, or something like it

#1 Post by steve_s »

I've been over this in my mind for a while now and can't find the best answer, so I'm coming to the forum for opinions.

After a recent Gentoo install I did I fell in love with running emerge and have packages installed from source.

So, the question is this: what is the best from source package installation method (like emerge) that is available to Puppy?

I have no problem doing the work if I need to create something, but I am loathe to do the work if someone else has already done it.

I know that Slackware has something like emerge, as does Arch linux.

I know many of the big dogs in the Puppy forum have addressed this in some way: Big_Bass has slaxer, technosaurus has a host of scripts that handle packages, and I've heard there is an Arch puppy version out there (sorry that I couldn't find that version).

So, if it has already been done, what is the best/closest thing to what I'm looking for?

If it HASN'T been done, I've already begun my research on Woof, but I know there isn't a Gentoo option there (yet?). What direction should I go with that (if that is the direction I need to go)?

Opinions? 8)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

There was an effort to combine Gentoo and Puppy
some years ago - with the developer saying they would post something once it worked reasonably

This might be it
http://simplux.org/
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

amigo

#3 Post by amigo »

src2pkg -I URL
downloads, configures, compiles, packages and installs the package.One recipe per package(where recipe is even needed)

steve_s

#4 Post by steve_s »

amigo wrote:src2pkg -I URL
downloads, configures, compiles, packages and installs the package.One recipe per package(where recipe is even needed)
Would you please give more information on that one, amigo? Where is the download for the pet file? Easy to find in the forum? Do you have more information/a thread on it?

Lobster: I checked that one out first, but there has been nothing further done on it and there isn't an iso to download or anything... :?

**Edit**: I found the thread on src2pkg; thanks for that heads-up, amigo. It looks very promising...

[Got a kick out of Big_Bass working on his Gringo Spanish...as an Austinite right near Mexico, I work on that some myself.]

I'm hoping that it has a README (this may be a good start) in the pet file as it looks like it has a whole list of options and internal workings...thanks again and I'll post back. Thanks for all the work on it. 8)

**Edit yet again**: Ok, even though I didn't find a ton on Puppy forum, amigo has a site on src2pkg here. I plan on using it a lot then posting more how to's and remaster a puppy or two using it...thanks again, amigo.

steve_s

#5 Post by steve_s »

First tests: just installed two different packages, nano (text editor) and graveman (small cd burning software) using src2pkg and they installed very easily.

Graveman had issues with not having certain directories made, I just made them and reran src2pkg and it worked fine.

Muchas gracias, amigo, very well done.

Next step is to do a minimalist remaster and then install most of what I need from src2pkg just to see how it goes. Thanks again and I'll post back... 8)